Should all immigrants be required to pass a citizenship test?

Should all immigrants be required to pass a citizenship test?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have always considered citizenship tests to be a form of discrimination against newcomers to Canada. Why force a test on them if over 2/3rd of the Canadian citizens can't pass the test themselves? Does this mean citizens who don't know anything about Canada should have their citizenships stripped? I don't think so. So why are we doing this to immigrants?

Guest American Woman
Does this mean citizens who don't know anything about Canada should have their citizenships stripped?

I would think that natural-born citizens who went through the Canadian education system know a thing or two about Canada...

I would think that natural-born citizens who went through the Canadian education system know a thing or two about Canada...

Wrong. It would be better for natural-born Canadians to have to take a test periodically to keep their citizenship. Few Canadians really have a clue about what our country is really about. They know more about the US than a lot of Americans but very little about Canada.

Guest American Woman
Wrong. It would be better for natural-born Canadians to have to take a test periodically to keep their citizenship. Few Canadians really have a clue about what our country is really about. They know more about the US than a lot of Americans but very little about Canada.

If Canadians make it through the Canadian education system without knowing anything about Canada, rather than test natural-born citizens periodically, perhaps changes should be made in your education system. However, I would think at one point in their lives they knew enough about Canada to pass tests and move up to the next grade. Foreigners aren't required to "take a test periodically to keep their citizenship"-- they're just required to learn what I'm assuming is taught in your education system.

Citizenship to foreign born individuals is not a right. It is, however, a right of those born within a nation-- who are required be law to attend school and become educated. If someone wants citizenship in another country, then they should be expected to earn it.

Edited by American Woman

We did that test in one of my university classes, and around 10% of us passed even though we had a lot of advantages that foreigners necessarily didn't. It made me wonder where all the immigrants are coming from if the test is so difficult.

I know that US immigration lawyers have a list of the jobs that provide a higher score than others - for example, if they're short on engineers one year, that's the job that gets a lot of points on the test. I assumed the Canadian test must be similar since it's so difficult to pass otherwise.

So to answer your question, if Canada does choose its immigrants in a similar fashion, I suppose the test is kind of a moot point when everything else is a guideline and your vocation is the deciding factor. Timed right with the Canadian markets, it's basically like playing the lottery and hoping your number is picked.

Edited by BC_chick

Guest American Woman

To my knowledge, the U.S. citizenship test is a standard test for all applicants and has nothing to do with the job market. I'm thinking the job market would have more to do with who would be able to get a visa/work permit at any given time than with citizenship. One can even be granted permanent residency without becoming a citizen.

As a side note, I've taken sample tests and scored 100%.

Edited to add link to a sample test-- and like I had thought, it doesn't have anything to do with job markets.

Edited by American Woman

To my knowledge, the U.S. citizenship test is a standard test for all applicants and has nothing to do with the job market. I'm thinking the job market would have more to do with who would be able to get a visa/work permit at any given time than with citizenship. One can even be granted permanent residency without becoming a citizen.

Good point AW, you're right, I didn't clarify. Yes, the vocational list was, indeed, for a Green Card. But when you consider that citizenship is granted after a certain number of years of living in the country and paying taxes, it's the same thing really. If you have a job that's in demand, you can get the Green Card easier and that's your first step if you plan on becoming a citizen one day.

It's the same thing here, we have landed immigrants who, after a number of years, are allowed to apply for citizenship.

Guest American Woman

I don't think it is really the same thing. I would expect there to be a lot more people wanting to work in a country for a period of time than there would be wanting to become citizens. Others live their whole life here, and I'm sure there, too, without ever desiring citizenship. And many who apply for citizenship are children of immigrants, children of people who have moved here/there, so the job market would have nothing to do with their personally applying for citizenship. Some are also granted residency for humanitarian reasons, too, and some of them end up applying for citizenship.

Edited by American Woman

As a side note, I've taken sample tests and scored 100%.

Edited to add link to a sample test-- and like I had thought, it doesn't have anything to do with job markets.

Strange, because I went through it personally years ago when I was dating an American and I was considering moving to the States. The immigration lawyer asked what I do for a living and what I've done in the past, and when I answered she said to list my former job as my primary one because it was in demand at the time and would serve me better.

As I said, I think both knowledge and vocation contribute, but in Canada, if our immigration test is so difficult that barely a quarter of our citizens pass (who know the Canadian system), then there's got to be something else that determining the outcome.

Guest American Woman
Strange, because I went through it personally years ago when I was dating an American and I was considering moving to the States. The immigration lawyer asked what I do for a living and what I've done in the past, and when I answered she said to list my former job as my primary one because it was in demand at the time and would serve me better.

As I said, I think both knowledge and vocation contribute, but in Canada, if our immigration test is so difficult that barely a quarter of our citizens pass (who know the Canadian system), then there's got to be something else that determining the outcome.

Moving to the States and becoming a citizen are two different things, though. What if you had married your boyfriend? You would have been able to live here then, and apply for citizenship after the required time even if you never worked. There are a lot of marriages where both spouses don't work, yet both can apply for citizenship after living in the country for the required period of time. I see that a lot in Toronto-- immigrants from the Middle East where the mother doesn't work, and the kids will be able to apply for citizenship eventually, too.

So the job market would have a bearing on the ability to get a green card, but it would have no bearing on the citizenship aspect-- ie: the difficulty of the test or the questions on the test.

Edited by American Woman

Can I get a cite for this please?

If you're going to make blanket statements than you owe us some citation to back up your words, otherwise it's just fluff and should be ignored by the rest of us who can tell the difference.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Can I get a cite for this please?

If you're going to make blanket statements than you owe us some citation to back up your words, otherwise it's just fluff and should be ignored by the rest of us who can tell the difference.

I don't know about the claim regarding Canadians' knowledge of the US, but the Dominion Institute does a survey every Canada Day testing Canadians' ability with Canadian history, civics, and present-day issues. The results are usually pretty abysmal.

Edited by g_bambino

I have always considered citizenship tests to be a form of discrimination against newcomers to Canada. Why force a test on them if over 2/3rd of the Canadian citizens can't pass the test themselves? Does this mean citizens who don't know anything about Canada should have their citizenships stripped? I don't think so. So why are we doing this to immigrants?

Then to get a canadian citizenship what should new immigrants have to do.

There are two basic categories of migrants.

First, those who just want to get out of their own country. In such cases, they do not really have a loyalty to Canada per se.

Second, they searched for that beautiful land and settled on Canada as a place in which they will build their new home. They pledge their loyalty to this new land, find ways to contribute and enhance the economy of that land, contribute to social causes and through their positive actions, make their corner of Canada a little bit better by their presence.

For those belonging to the second category, a citizenship test is welcome. It helps them to know about the land, the history and the peoples. The culture. And above all, what it means to be a citizen of Canada.

My vote is 'yes' for the citizenship test.

No offence but I kind of snickered at the term natural born? That is a very general term. And when it comes to the education system, when you think about it, it is propaganda fully supported by the mass media. That is why I only use newspapers for fire-starter for the good old woodstove, and the horoscope. It is total propaganda when you think of the whole aboriginal thingy. As I said in another post, when it comes to aboriginal issues--we all know that it is all one great big lie

Ever see that poster with a bunch of indians with rifles and the caption--"Fighting Terrorism since 1492?" It's so true when you look at the history of what the aboriginal people have gone through. SO propaganda has covered up this mass genocide an acts of terrorism in out own country. IN 911 there was all this all this hype about catching the bad guys, one must ask--whoo really are the bad guys? :P

• 2 weeks later...
Then to get a canadian citizenship what should new immigrants have to do.

Yegads you have to ask?

1. Learn to play hockey.

2. Learn to drive in snow.

3. Learn CFL football rules.

4. Learn to line up in one cue even when there are 5 other available counters.

5. Become addicted to Tim Horton's coffee.

6. Have sexual thoughts about Celine Dion.

I just threw the last one in to see if you were listening.

It would be a great idea to apply to my country as well. I personally know nothing about Canada and even less about the US.

Only Americans who immigrate should have to pass an required citizenship test - with one question....Where is Toronto on the map - if they can find it - THEY ARE IN!

I'd flunk.

Edited by jbg