The Federal Republic of Canada

Canada as a federal republic  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The case for Canada continues to strengthen, especially given the tensions we see south of the border and in parts of Europe, as long as our governments don’t get steamrolled by special interests and budgetary frivolity, both of which are hallmarks of Trudeau’s spendthrift identity politics. 

A fractured Canada existed long before Trudeau's reign, and irrespective of what happens in other nations.

Domestic issues are not going away anytime soon, and may get worse if the border becomes a wall.

15 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

A fractured Canada existed long before Trudeau's reign, and irrespective of what happens in other nations.

Domestic issues are not going away anytime soon, and may get worse if the border becomes a wall.

Sure, divisions in Confederation come and go.  Ultimately walls represent an inability to exchange people and goods freely. They’re a disappointing final measure, but jurisdictions will go there if they perceive the risks of openness to be too high.  It slows economies and hinders freedom of movement, but people may be willing to pay that price based on threats, real or perceived, of violence, disease, cultural dominance, or anything else.   

Edited by Zeitgeist

On 6/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Our fractured are stretch marks as we grow. Don't mistake that with your own American osteoporosis.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Then keep growing...apart:

matt-graham.jpg

Bah. You should hear us at curling matches or at Tim Horton's g into a speaker. Seriously  that is your proof? Lol. You need a couple of hours in a pub with some Newfoundlanders. Seal killers. Then just try go ten minutes with someone from  Whitehorse. Absolutely out of control. Do not even get me started about people from Wawa or Medicine Hat.  Punk sobs.

Edited by Rue
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

g_bambino was a prolific poster in this thread - decidedly, a monarchist.

As a republican, I tangled with Bambino with frustration, respect - even fear.

By my reckoning, g_bambino's last post dates from 2005 or so.

=====

Usenet? The Internet was different before. We lived through all the current issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 6:19 AM, Michael Hardner said:

I was on Usenet ?

What is Usenet?  Is that like Freenet?  I used freenet on a 2400 baud modem.  That's 2.4 kbps.

I just realized I've been chatting online since pre-internet.

I remember my Freenet was connected to a chat room in Tallahasee Florida and I was chatting to people there.

When the World Wide Web became popular you could chat with anyone from anywhere.  I remember Yahoo chatrooms.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2004 at 3:21 AM, August1991 said:

I'm in favour. Any monarchists on the bench? I'll argue, and happily explain why you're wrong.

I say, let's run our own affairs our own way, and let's be upfront about it. Why the heck is that foreign face on our money anyway?

I think symbols matter, and English Canadians cannot imagine the effect it would have among French Canadians.

So, is Canada a "real" country?

The Brits defeated the French on the Plains of Abraham.  You're our b!tch now.

Just kidding. Yeah, getting rid of the monarchy would make Quebec feel more Canadian.  But to be honest, Quebec never stops complaining no matter how much anglos capitulate.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:43 AM, 500channelsurfer said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-62874044

Australian politicians including the Prime Minister believe they will soon have a debate and referendum on keeping or leaving the monarchy. Canada is in the same boat with same constitutional institutions.

Again? They just had one recently. That meaning in 1999.

The republic lost not because people would love the monarchy but they didn't want the kind of republic which was offered to them. 

23 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The Brits defeated the French on the Plains of Abraham.  You're our b!tch now.

Just kidding. Yeah, getting rid of the monarchy would make Quebec feel more Canadian.  But to be honest, Quebec never stops complaining no matter how much anglos capitulate.

MG, you're still here?

• Thanks 1

Canada as it is now is a less desirable place to be than the republic to the south, except for the violence.  Our cost of living is too high and the population doesn’t exercise its rights or present a plurality of ideas after years of government overreach and programming.  I’m not sure that has anything to do with having a monarchy except that we do see a scary compliance here that is perhaps the result of being a smaller colonial power.  Are we still the outpost waiting for instructions rather than the creators of our own destiny?  Only now the instructions come from the WEF and UN rather than Britain.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Are we still the outpost waiting for instructions rather than the creators of our own destiny? 

as I've told you for years, Canada is former colony which simply failed to launch

except for Quebec, which is becoming its own country more & more every day

but really, Canada always was a French country,

we Anglos are the colonists, while the Quebecois are a distinct nation

that being said, America is only preferable if you have money, and you're going to a Red state in the sunbelt

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

as I've told you for years, Canada is former colony which simply failed to launch

except for Quebec, which is becoming its own country more & more every day

but really, Canada always was a French country,

we Anglos are the colonists, while the Quebecois are a distinct nation

that being said, America is only preferable if you have money, and you're going to a Red state in the sunbelt

Yes that’s pretty much what I like about America: freedom and warmth — and New York City.  New York State is left-wing loonie land though, like most of Canada.  It really feels like the western world has been in decline for a few years, but the rest of the world doesn’t seem to be fairing well now either.  I think much of this decline is self-imposed.  I also don’t see any easy or quick fixes.  We went from pandemic deprivations to economic stress, health fear to climate fear, and our young generations have confused ideas about gender, race, and identity, and inhuman ideas about economic growth and living standards.  Not sure we’ll get out of these woods in my lifetime.  Have to rely on your own strength and morality.

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes that’s pretty much what I like about America: freedom and warmth —

well, as an American, I welcome you to our ranks

you don't need to carry an American passport to defend & uphold natural rights granted by God himself

America is an idea, all you need have fealty to is the Declaration of Independence preamble

in terms of the violence in America

that is why it is the home of the brave

freedom is not safety

17 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It really feels like the western world has been in decline for a few years, but the rest of the world doesn’t seem to be fairing well now either. 

it's a civilizational collapse

the civilization born in the Great War has started to unravel

this is why your Vimy Myth is dying

this is an epoch, the volatility is the passage into a new age

it's not that it won't be the West anymore

but it's not going to be the Anglo-American Empire of Liberty anymore

25 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Not sure we’ll get out of these woods in my lifetime.  Have to rely on your own strength and morality.

we are British North Americans

my family come here in 1757

we follow our ancestors

whom passed the torch to us

the supremacy of God & the rule of law

pilgrims on the road to Calvary

Ypres to Mons

• Like 1

On 3/14/2004 at 3:21 AM, August1991 said:

I'm in favour. Any monarchists on the bench? I'll argue, and happily explain why you're wrong.

I say, let's run our own affairs our own way, and let's be upfront about it. Why the heck is that foreign face on our money anyway?

I think symbols matter, and English Canadians cannot imagine the effect it would have among French Canadians.

So, is Canada a "real" country?

Symbols do matter. The monarchy is a touchstone to our past, an intrinsic part of our national history, traditions and institutions since before we even were a country. 

Quebecers deeply value their culture but do not appear to have any respect for other cultures. Indeed, Trudeau, a son of Quebec, proudly stated the rest of Canada had no culture, had no 'core identity'. If that is so then, to use one of his favorite phrases, it is because of cultural genocide practiced on English Canada by him, his father, the Liberal party and other Quebecers in Ottawa determined to make English Canada so bland and inoffensive to French Canada it might perhaps make them feel more comfortable here.

To those ends they have done their utmost to eliminate all of English Canada's historical touchstones, with the monarchy and RCMP being about all that's left. They changed the constitution, the flag, the anthem, our national holiday, and national institutions like the Royal Mail Canada. I suspect getting rid of the Royal Canadian Navy and Royal Canadian Air Force were part of the reasons they combined the military into the blandly named "Canadian Armed Forces". 

Even immigration was changed to, in Pierre Trudeau's words, soften the borders between English and French Canada, by bringing in a lot of people from elsewhere who would identify with neither. Of course, Quebec was soon given control over who immigrated there to 'protect their culture'. English Canada was given no such power. France is the third biggest source of immigrants to Quebec. The UK is not even in the top ten for Canada.

The monarchy was the only institution they haven't yet figured out a way to eliminate without too much blowback. 

And there would be. Opening the constitution would be a pandora's box, largely because Quebec would then make multiple demands for even more powers, even more separation within confederation. The West would also have many demands. No one is dumb enough to open that can of worms when the benefits would be so minor.

• Like 1

If you want to see old English Canada, spend time in Nova Scotia.  Places like Kingston, the Rideau, and Victoria have it too.  My fav is the drive from Niagara on the Lake to Niagara Falls, Winston Churchill’s favourite drive.  PEI is also super quaint. I’m sure Newfoundland has similar vibes.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

19 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

in Hants County

out the Chester Road

at Windsor Forks

where my great grandfather built his sawmill

Acadia — French and English — is some of the most culturally interesting and beautiful parts of Canada.  When added together, old English and French Canada  are similar in size, each around 25% of the country.  Almost 10% is Indigenous.   The rest is somewhat Post-National State.   There are interesting historic Asian enclaves in BC, Ukrainian and Scandinavian swaths of the Prairies, and countless small older ethnic communities, especially Italian. 

Edited by Zeitgeist