Knives out for Palin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...=uselection2008

Sarah Palin wasn't aware that Africa was a continent and she and her brood behaved like a band of "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast," aides to Republican John McCain are telling prominent news organizations.

Less than 24 hours after McCain lost the presidential election to Democrat Barack Obama, those close to him apparently wasted no time burning up the phone lines to dish the dirt on Palin, the Alaska governor who portrayed herself as a sensible hockey Mom when she was chosen the Arizona senator's running mate in late August.

Well, that didn't take long.

You can see Canada played a small part in the anger towards Palin.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although she was much loved by some, in a pop-starish way, sensible republicans who are serious about politics questioned McCains choice right from the beginning. I will be surprised if she does become a serious contender in 2012. If the party wants to improve its credibility amongst politicos, they should re-think that one.

My hope is that people will not be so easily attracted to mere sensationalism, and that parties will not try to manipulate the tabloid reading masses. Of course, my attitude towards her would be different of she demonstrated some mastery of political dialog, including geography and history.

How McCain ever thought this woman was qualified to be the presidential backup - or even a member of congress - is beyond me.

My hope is that people will not be so easily attracted to mere sensationalism, and that parties will not try to manipulate the tabloid reading masses. Of course, my attitude towards her would be different of she demonstrated some mastery of political dialog, including geography and history.

I expect we will see her back. It will be her own party that will expose her strengths and weaknesses on the primary trail if she seeks the nomination.

How McCain ever thought this woman was qualified to be the presidential backup -

Do you think McCain had much say ? I dont, and the way this is starting to play out, what with the admission they hardly ever spoke, think he had much choice.

This will make for an interesting book shjould McCain want to write one.

Wasilla Hillbillies? Oh thats harsh and to make matters worse the Reps have sent a member of their party to Wasilla to reclaim the clothes she bought...er had others buy for her.

One undeniable thing, she looks great in jeans.....

How McCain ever thought this woman was qualified to be the presidential backup - or even a member of congress - is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure McCain thought he could pry away Hillary Clinton supporters with a female running mate.

Hopefully the Republican party will break up and the social conservative crowd will follow Palin into oblivion. That would be the best thing for the US and the world.

Wishfull thinking but it won't happen. California is proof of that, besides whats wrong with being a socon? They have every right to exist and they counter the extreme lonney left, who want to engineer society.

Edited by Alta4ever

Wishfull thinking but it won't happen. California is proof of that, besides whats wrong with being a socon? They have every right to exist and they counter the extreme lonney left, who want to engineer society.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but the notion that social conservatives don't want to engineer society has to be one of the most preposterously false claims in modern politics.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but the notion that social conservatives don't want to engineer society has to be one of the most preposterously false claims in modern politics.

Never said they didn't want to but that they counter the extreme left engineering.

By making things like abortion illegal?

Has Palin taken any steps to restrict abortion access in Alaska?

I would take everything I read about Palin with a grain of salt. As with Dion's defeat, there'll be no shortage of people running around pointing at fingers, justifying their own performance, setting up their position for the next time around, and so forth. Right now, Palin has a big target on her, both as a scapegoat for McCain's lackluster campaign, and as an early potential nominee for 2012.

-k

I was referring to the right in general and yes, they have worked to restrict abortion.

I would take everything I read about Palin with a grain of salt. As with Dion's defeat, there'll be no shortage of people running around pointing at fingers, justifying their own performance, setting up their position for the next time around, and so forth. Right now, Palin has a big target on her, both as a scapegoat for McCain's lackluster campaign, and as an early potential nominee for 2012.

I don't blame Palin for McCain's defeat. It was McCain who made the choice and eventually people questioned his judgment on the issue.

His first choice was Joe Liberman but if he wanted a woman there was another more qualified one out there and I'm sorry I can't remember her name.

Yet he had to follow the wishes of the "base" who do not care if their candidate is brain dead, as long as he or she are right on the issues. He should have been honest, told the social conservative base where to go, and picked Liberman.

I would take everything I read about Palin with a grain of salt. As with Dion's defeat, there'll be no shortage of people running around pointing at fingers, -k

I think this is different though. Dion did not understand the nuances of partisan politics. Palin did not know Africa was a continent. Bumbling politicians can come back, people who can't spell potato don't.

I was referring to the right in general and yes, they have worked to restrict abortion.

I don't blame Palin for McCain's defeat. It was McCain who made the choice and eventually people questioned his judgment on the issue.

I don't think she helped any, but I don't think McCain wins with any VP candidate.

First off, the economy made this a bad year to be a Republican running for office.

Second, this Obama fellow, he's actually rather good at this stuff.

Palin might not have delivered "Hilary voters" in any great numbers, but she did apparently bring out the evangelical kooks who are apparently a crucial component of any Republican campaign. These types treated Palin like a rock star, and without them I think McCain's defeat would have been more lopsided.

-k