Are you happy with Obama being elected president

I was on neutral turf throughout the entire electoral marathon. I would have been cool with any choice the Americans made. There is one thing that bothers me about Obama's win. It is the pedestal that Obama has been placed on by a significant number of Obama followers. This was evident in the faces of the assembled crowd in Chicago when he delivered his victory speech. There were tears, there were glowing faces, there was awe. It looked to me they were looking upon Obama, not as a human, but as a deity. I found the whole thing quite eerie.

I don't know what kind of president Obama will be. He seems very intelligent, determined and well meaning. But he is a mere mortal with dreams and aspirations just like those thousands of adoring supporters on election night in Chicago. He will make mistakes along the way. When that day comes, will those who think he could never stumble remain loyal?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing that bothers me about Obama's win. It is the pedestal that Obama has been placed on by a significant number of Obama followers. This was evident in the faces of the assembled crowd in Chicago when he delivered his victory speech. There were tears, there were glowing faces, there was awe. It looked to me they were looking upon Obama, not as a human, but as a deity. I found the whole thing quite eerie.

There was tears in the other court too. Some people were so upset about the Obama win, they reported crying all night long.

Thats what happens when you bombard the electorate with useless media hype, splashy tabloid headlines that prey on their anger and fears, or exhalt the leader to messianic godhood. They become psychotic idiots. I feel sorry for them. These people need to see a shrink.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

I bawled my eyes out seeing all those hopeful faces!

It's heartening to see so many people garner hope. It was an unforgettable moment of history. Not because Obama is black (who cares?) but because the US nation hasn't seen a leader like Obama since Kennedy.

For years the left has had to be silent -- hell even the word "liberal" was turned into a negative by insane social conservatives... the tables have turned and the right needs to suck it up and be loyal to their president.

...There is one thing that bothers me about Obama's win. It is the pedestal that Obama has been placed on by a significant number of Obama followers. This was evident in the faces of the assembled crowd in Chicago when he delivered his victory speech. There were tears, there were glowing faces, there was awe. It looked to me they were looking upon Obama, not as a human, but as a deity. I found the whole thing quite eerie...

I think you express one possible explanation, but I don't think people were crying because they think of him like some deity. Most of the people I saw crying were minorities and I interpreted those as tears of joy, tears in the shared success, at long last, of a minority long held out of power, and happiness that voters of all colors mostly put race aside and elected a man with brown skin as the next president. I saw those as tears of pride and joy, not of reverence.

I think the Democrats made a terrible error nominating Obama for president initially.

Now we have an individual as president that does not represent majority U.S. White culture.

We now have an individual that will no doubt drag cultural issues into mainstream politics (like Canada) as being the main or primary focus of his term as president both at home and possibly abroad.

I think U.S. citizens made a critical error in voting for Obama.

I am happy that the population is happy - even though it is fleeting and temporal..much like a kid having a birthday party who after it is over is sent back into the coal mind to drudge..let them enjoy while they can. :lol:

I think you express one possible explanation, but I don't think people were crying because they think of him like some deity. Most of the people I saw crying were minorities and I interpreted those as tears of joy, tears in the shared success, at long last, of a minority long held out of power, and happiness that voters of all colors mostly put race aside and elected a man with brown skin as the next president. I saw those as tears of pride and joy, not of reverence.

The deification of Obama may not be literal (in most quarters, at least) but is figuratively implied in the expectations of what he will accomplish, the belief in his attributes, the faith in his power to accomplish unearthly feats in the span of 8 years or less.

He is going to end the wars? Unify the people? "Heal the planet"?

I think the expectations of what Barack Obama can do have been inflated to the point that he'd have to be some kind of Messiah to live up to it.

-k

The deification of Obama may not be literal (in most quarters, at least) but is figuratively implied in the expectations of what he will accomplish, the belief in his attributes, the faith in his power to accomplish unearthly feats in the span of 8 years or less.

He is going to end the wars? Unify the people? "Heal the planet"?

I think the expectations of what Barack Obama can do have been inflated to the point that he'd have to be some kind of Messiah to live up to it.

-k

His original name is Barry - That's like having a messiah called Bob. What worrys me is that he may dispose of useless eating blacks in a war with Iran...I trust Obama as much as I trust the delluded Oprah.

I'm also worried about protectionism, but I still have hope that their tough talk on trade is in reference to Mexicans and Chinese and not their buddies in Canada.

I am happy that so many Americans feel such joy at Obama's victory. I think that for the minorities and the poor who had so much emotional investment in Obama, this might truly be a "Change they can believe in". Sometimes symbolic things can make a real difference for people.

I think Obama will be a good president for Americans. Whether he works out as well for Canadians whose jobs depend on trade, we will have to wait and see.

On this note, a news article I found today reiterates much of the same discussion, but also notes that Obama's win could improve Consumer Confidence, which in itself should provide a boost for the economy. Obama will help the economy because people believe Obama will help the economy. (Is the phrase "self-fulfilling prophecy" allowed to be used in a positive context?)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/indepth/us_electi...a_cda_economy_2

On a funny note, some pro athletes are definitely in the "not happy Obama won" camp:

“It’s a sad day for me,” said Minnesota defensive lineman Jared Allen, who supported John McCain. “There is nothing I can do about it now. Our paychecks will be cut in half.”

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=a...p&type=lgns

A lot of voters probably didn't consider how an Obama win will impact already overburdened professional athletes :lol:

-k

On this note, a news article I found today reiterates much of the same discussion, but also notes that Obama's win could improve Consumer Confidence, which in itself should provide a boost for the economy. Obama will help the economy because people believe Obama will help the economy. (Is the phrase "self-fulfilling prophecy" allowed to be used in a positive context?)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/indepth/us_electi...a_cda_economy_2

On a funny note, some pro athletes are definitely in the "not happy Obama won" camp:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=a...p&type=lgns

A lot of voters probably didn't consider how an Obama win will impact already overburdened professional athletes :lol:

-k

Nothing wrong with protectionism as long as you have something to protect - we have resourses - they do not...do you really need bad Mexican labour and product? Do you really need more lead tainted soothers from China and more Walmart landfill junk? If you are not protective of your real resourses then you will end up in poverty. Human nature dictates that basic law.

His original name is Barry - That's like having a messiah called Bob.

His original name is Barack. He went by "Barry" when he was a youth, probably to fit in with with other kids.

I used to know a Mohinder who preferred to be called "Mike", to fit in. He was Canadian in every respect, and didn't like that his given name drew attention to the fact that his ancestry was from India rather than Europe. People might feel differently about it now, but it

My dad's family adopted an an anglicized spelling of the family name when they arrived in North America, so that they would fit in. They didn't want to draw attention to the fact that their origin traced to Sweden rather than England.

And I'm not sure I know whether Bob, Barry, or Barack is an appropriate name for a messiah, as I've never met or heard of a messiah. I will withhold judgment until I do.

What worrys me is that he may dispose of useless eating blacks in a war with Iran...I trust Obama as much as I trust the delluded Oprah.

I have no idea what this means, and I don't want to know.

-k

With his pants on or off? (sorry)

It may be the American people who will attempt to govern with all of their pants off - with on condition - that they be bent over and ready to amuze their so-called masters - Obama has the swagger of a pirate - and you know those pirates - Bill is a pirate - they want eqaulity for all but they insist on inhabiting the captains cabin while we live below deck in the bilge - the Clintons love power - so will Obama...already he is having sugar plum dreams of riding in the big green chopper and playing video games with Iran that are deadly....I see no difference of what is to come - time will tell - Devil incarnate or Messiah - we really don't know at this point - so calm down and observe carefully..forget the emotion...and do not be controlled by it. :rolleyes:

It may be the American people who will attempt to govern with all of their pants off - with on condition - that they be bent over and ready to amuze their so-called masters - Obama has the swagger of a pirate - and you know those pirates - Bill is a pirate - they want eqaulity for all but they insist on inhabiting the captains cabin while we live below deck in the bilge - the Clintons love power - so will Obama...already he is having sugar plum dreams of riding in the big green chopper and playing video games with Iran that are deadly....I see no difference of what is to come - time will tell - Devil incarnate or Messiah - we really don't know at this point - so calm down and observe carefully..forget the emotion...and do not be controlled by it. :rolleyes:

Just happy that Joe and Jane public are drunk and laying in the corner all aglow...but as my dad use to say in Russian - Peyanesa praspesa ....doruak ne kah dah....translated - a drunk will wake up sober and be wise - a fool will wake up still being a fool - just wonder what the ration of drunkards and fools there are in the USA. ?? :huh:

I am happy to see an African-American make it to becoming the President of the USA.

But at the same time, I'm not happy to see Barack Obama becoming the President of the USA. It has nothing to do with his color. I just feel he is not what he's trying to portray he is. I hope I am wrong.

I am happy to see an African-American make it to becoming the President of the USA.

But at the same time, I'm not happy to see Barack Obama becoming the President of the USA. It has nothing to do with his color. I just feel he is not what he's trying to portray he is. I hope I am wrong.

I really hate that term African-American ... he is not even wholy black. Melado is what I would say he is. I saw a billboard here in Ottawa that had 'I am African-Canadian' on it. I guess saying the person is black is a bad thing? I am German-Canadian then from now on.

For the most part all politicians are crooks and liars. Obama will inherit a mess. Much of this mess was not caused by Bush, it was Cheney, tied in with the Council on Foregin relations and other think tanks that want to dominate the political landscape. It is also US policy that Obama will inherit. For the most part these guys are not really even in charge of what is going on. It is all past policy. NO matter who won the election, the same people are still in power.

I really hate that term African-American ... he is not even wholy black. Melado is what I would say he is. I saw a billboard here in Ottawa that had 'I am African-Canadian' on it. I guess saying the person is black is a bad thing? I am German-Canadian then from now on.

For the most part all politicians are crooks and liars. Obama will inherit a mess. Much of this mess was not caused by Bush, it was Cheney, tied in with the Council on Foregin relations and other think tanks that want to dominate the political landscape. It is also US policy that Obama will inherit. For the most part these guys are not really even in charge of what is going on. It is all past policy. NO matter who won the election, the same people are still in power.

CNN stupidly called rioting black youth in France - Afro-Americans...the term is dumb - I was born in England of Russian Ukrainian parents - lived in Canada all my life other than six months - so am I a Russo-Canadian? Not likely - I don't even like the secularist soviet minded creeps that are the new arrivals from Russia..they are not "my people" - Culturaly and religiously I am an 1800s throw back in their view.

Now I wonder if for politically comforting expediencey if I should call my self - Russa-Uke-Chechian -othodox Christian-Judiac-Muslim Canadian - I know for a fact I am derived from at least six back grounds....I wonder if I would be real cool at golf? Wait - my Scythian roots make me real good with horse and sword...maybe I can join the some mounted unit that lops off heads? Oh well - I guess I had better just destroy the time machine - I can never go back - You are stuck with me.. :P

I am German-Canadian then from now on.

I have chosen the term "Blanco-Canadian." I think it's starting to catch on...

I agree that Obama is constrained in many ways. But not because he is at the mercy of shadowy people behind the scenes or puppetmaster organizations.

He is constrained simply because many of the issues he inherits are situations where changing course rapidly would have dangerous results. He can't simply go to Iraq and say "yoink!" and pull a bunch of troops out rapidly, that's a transition that takes time. He can't simply pour money into the economy until it's fixed. Obama is smart enough to recognize that patience and steadiness are required. I hope his supporters are too.

-k

Yes, he is a mulatto. Mixed white-black is usually described as that. I guess the description - African-American - is just being specific. After all, if I'm not mistaken his father was from Africa?

Some blacks do not appreciate being mistaken with blacks coming from other countries. I know of a black who felt indignant about being mistaken for a Jamaican.

I personally do not think referring to a black person as "black" is a bad thing. But I think AFRICAN-AMERICANS have more to be proud of than other blacks from other countires....since one of them made it to the top!

Lumping them all as one in this historical moment of victory somehow feels taking away something from African-Americans.

Edited by betsy

....Some blacks do not appreciate being mistaken with blacks coming from other countries. I know of a black who felt indignant about being mistaken for a Jamaican.

Neither do "whites".

I personally do not think referring to a black person as "black" is a bad thing. But I think AFRICAN-AMERICANS have more to be proud of than other blacks from other countires....since one of them made it to the top!

Obama has no such kinship.....no "certified" slave blood.

Lumping them all as one in this historical moment of victory somehow feels taking away something from African-Americans.

Nah....I'm sure that all "whites" didn't feel the same way either when Bush won.

Neither do "whites".

Obama has no such kinship.....no "certified" slave blood.

Nah....I'm sure that all "whites" didn't feel the same way either when Bush won.

The fact that the term African American is engrained in the culture is proof that America is a racist nation - putting that aside for a moment - Obama is NOT a person of certified slave blood - If he was he would be a football player :lol: ....or a gladiator - or boxer - He is from the slave selling class. You know when Bush won the first time - we were in the same state of euphoria - second time around not so much to say the least - Obama may disappoint you sooner than dear George did...I doubt he will get though the next six months without enraging the nation.

The fact that the term African American is engrained in the culture is proof that America is a racist nation - putting that aside for a moment - Obama is NOT a person of certified slave blood - If he was he would be a football player :lol: ....or a gladiator - or boxer - He is from the slave selling class.

Sure....just as a racist Canada is trumpeted with "multiculturalism" and generic recognition of "visible minorities".

You know when Bush won the first time - we were in the same state of euphoria - second time around not so much to say the least - Obama may disappoint you sooner than dear George did...I doubt he will get though the next six months without enraging the nation.

I doubt that...since it was settled by the lawsuit Bush v. Gore. I don't even remember what the hell Canadians thought, and nobody cared anyway.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sure....just as a racist Canada is trumpeted with "multiculturalism" and generic recognition of "visible minorities".

I doubt that...since it was settled by the lawsuit Bush v. Gore. I don't even remember what the hell Canadians thought, and nobody cared anyway.

You are a more wise and more highly skilled version of me. Multiculturalism is the destruction of all culture and the segway to socialist utilitarianism. So what else is new - I just hope Obama get a kick out of double crossing the black populace. As far as America caring - America is a universe to itself and expecting them to care for anything outside of that envelope is useless...Remember why Britian had an empire - the stiff upper lip and all - that lip was a cold and ruthless mentality that can only be generated genetically - Anglos are the blue eyed preditorial wolves of the world. American power will always be with the wolves that keep the sheep...funny - we keep returning to sheep - I love lamb cooked on the coals of an open hardwood fire ...ancient taste buds I suppose.

You are a more wise and more highly skilled version of me. Multiculturalism is the destruction of all culture and the segway to socialist utilitarianism. So what else is new - I just hope Obama get a kick out of double crossing the black populace.

Correct...Obama will be hated at an apeaser....Malcolm and King were challengers. They will invoke the old saw comparing "house servant" vs. "field negroes".

As far as America caring - America is a universe to itself and expecting them to care for anything outside of that envelope is useless...Remember why Britian had an empire - the stiff upper lip and all - that lip was a cold and ruthless mentality that can only be generated genetically - Anglos are the blue eyed preditorial wolves of the world.....

Agreed....but some elevate their lives by living off of just America's garbage...the most prized in the world.

Correct...Obama will be hated at an apeaser....Malcolm and King were challengers. They will invoke the old saw comparing "house servant" vs. "field negroes".

Agreed....but some elevate their lives by living off of just America's garbage...the most prized in the world.

Look at Japan - garbage left by American service men was turned into toys and sold back. Beer cans was the start - not to mention some mislayed Christian guilt over the nuking and 50 million a weak in tear money. Look at China - they gobble up all the used up computers and suck the gold out - causing great sickness and pollution in their people from the toxins. Seems that China is sending back the garbage - soothers with lead and product that posions the mind - China is real big on the kill the little white brats with dope deal...they don't forget the damage caused by opium - we forget - they do not...also - Toronto a city of three million - sends all of our garbage to Michigan - and you take it - you are not that smart.