More from the World Economic Forum

Jobu

A report from the World Economic Forum says Canada has the soundest financial system in the world, and also places the country on the top 10 list of the world's most competitive countries. Canada snatched the top grade for its soundness of banks, plus made the top 10 for its strength of investor protection (5th) and financial market sophistication (6th). However, nearly a quarter of respondents cited Canada's high tax rates as of the "the most problematic factors for doing business." About 15% also cited tax regulations, and 12% said government bureaucracy was a top problem.

http://www.forextv.com/Forex/News/ShowStor....jsp?seq=135008

So I guess what Flaherty was saying about corporate tax rates being too high in Ontario was right?

Hey Jack, make our taxes higher, I'm sure that will help!

A good find. Basically every objective third party expert in the world is saying we are on the right track. Harper's doing a good job. Don't expect my friends in Central --> Eastern Canada believe that though.

I believe it. I think Harper has done a reasonable to good job when it comes to managing the economy. He's not the first though. He comes as the latest in a line of 3 PMs to have very good financial records.

I'll agree with that. Personally I voted for Chretien the first term and I voted for Martin the first time as well. I think they did a decent job balancing the books but I prefer the lower taxes under Harper.

Other than the Liberals running big surpluses with higher taxes and Harper running lower surpluses with lower taxes, I really saw very little difference in their competence economically.

If it wasn't for the Green Shift I'd probably still feel the same. I'm totally happy with a Liberal or Conservative right of centre government. I'm just not sold on a Liberal government promising tax hikes and income distribution which would undo a lot of what Martin, Chretien and Harper have done.

Harper's doing a good job. Don't expect my friends in Central --> Eastern Canada believe that though.

Support for the Conservatives is high in New Brunswick.

The federal Conservatives are 10 points ahead of the Liberals in New Brunswick, says an exclusive new Corporate Research Associates poll commissioned by the Telegraph-Journal.

"If these numbers hold, we could probably see the Conservatives gain three to four seats more" on top of the three they won in 2006, said CRA president and CEO Don Mills.

That would give the Conservatives six or seven of New Brunswick's 10 seats.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/439340

Support for the main parties doesn't appear uniform across the Atlantic Provinces.

If it wasn't for the Green Shift I'd probably still feel the same. I'm totally happy with a Liberal or Conservative right of centre government. I'm just not sold on a Liberal government promising tax hikes and income distribution which would undo a lot of what Martin, Chretien and Harper have done.

It seems that we feel the same about the Green Shift and the type of government we'd like to see. Though many economists have endorsed it, I still have reservations about voting Liberal because of the Green Shift...I would like to believe it would be good....but something just tells me it wouldn't.

It seems that we feel the same about the Green Shift and the type of government we'd like to see. Though many economists have endorsed it, I still have reservations about voting Liberal because of the Green Shift...I would like to believe it would be good....but something just tells me it wouldn't.

I really did try to keep an open mind about the Green Shift. I went to their site and actually played with their calculator, thinking they'd probably put an emphasized positive spin on it. The calculator on the Liberal website itself shows that it will ONLY provide net benefits to the VERY POOREST of our population with multiple kids. It will increase taxes on business and the average Canadians and basically every third party economist/agency/analyst/group confirms this in their calculations.

If the economy were booming along, I probably wouldn't cry about it, but with the economy crapping out on us the very last thing we need is to shock what will eventually be a recovering economy.

The calculator on the Liberal website itself shows that it will ONLY provide net benefits to the VERY POOREST of our population with multiple kids. It will increase taxes on business and the average Canadians and basically every third party economist/agency/analyst/group confirms this in their calculations.

Neither does the Green Shift address the problem of what happens if federal revenue from carbon taxes are not as projected or collapse because of its unpredicted success. Would a tax increase be necessary to pay federal expenditures? Nobody knows and neither do the Liberals.

Yesterday, The Harpy counseled Canadians to buy bargains on the TSX. Today a represenative basket of equities is down another 5%. In fact, within minutes of Finance minister Flaherty extolling the virtue of Canada's banks, share prices of the Big 5 tanked.

There's a message in there somewhere.

Where did he counsel Canadians to buy anything? He simply suggested there are buying opportunities, which there are. Markets are off 30+% from highs. It's basic, common fact.

Just another lefty who doesn't understand that the stock market isn't directly related to the strength of Canada's banks which, by the way, everyone (from the IMF, to the World Economic Forum, to Chretien and Manley) agree on.

Where did he counsel Canadians to buy anything? He simply suggested there are buying opportunities, which there are. Markets are off 30+% from highs. It's basic, common fact.

Just another lefty who doesn't understand that the stock market isn't directly related to the strength of Canada's banks which, by the way, everyone (from the IMF, to the World Economic Forum, to Chretien and Manley) agree on.

Everyone agrees with you and The Harpy except those investors voting with their dollars and their feet. Sounds like you are just another stock promoter trolling for tomorrow's newest suckers.

Everyone agrees with you and The Harpy except those investors voting with their dollars and their feet. Sounds like you are just another stock promoter trolling for tomorrow's newest suckers.

Anyone who votes for Dion or Layton on the basis of short-term stock market fluctuations should be locked up and the key thrown away.

What, exactly, do you think will happen to the markets if Dion or Layton were in any position of power to promote their high-tax, shut-down-the-resource-industry agendas?

And any PM that would advise voters to wade into a historically volatile market does not deserve reelection.

When and where did he advise voters to invest? You still haven't answered that or my other question.

As an aside, you do realize these sorts of markets are where the most money is made, right?

And any PM that would advise voters to wade into a historically volatile market does not deserve reelection.

Historically volatile?? What? What's your starting point for history? It's ALWAYS been volatile and anyone buying equity knows this.

There will be huge buying opportunities moving on. The market will go back to it's historic high over the next few years and the people buying at the low point (myself included hopefully having secured lending facilities and savings for this specific market correction).

The average person invests the most retarded way possible. They get excited when the market is flying high and jump on the bandwagon only to realize they bought over valued stock and then when the correction happens they jump on the panicwagon and sell when it's low.

If people would keep a level head they will realize they've lost nothing until they liquidate and selling off everything right now after a 30% dip is probably not a great idea.

You don't know anything about how the markets work do you?

The best time to buy, the VERY best time, the often hoped for, prayed for opportunity to buy is when good stocks are beaten down badly due to nothing but emotion and fear. THAT is when you buy. You don't buy them after they've been doing really good for months and everyone says they have a great future. By that time most of the upward momentum has already happened. No, you buy them at a low ebb and then ride them all the way up. I got out of bank stocks late last year because I didn't think they had much upside for a while. But they're way oversold now given their fundamentals and security in the midst of economic chaos. I have started buying back into them - and yes, I've lost a little money on it so far, but I KNOW that I will make that back in spades over the coming year or three. I will be buying more soon.

You don't have a clue about what is coming, do you?

Now you expect me to believe you can time this market. What a joke. Why don't you borrow against your bungalow and see if you can grab the gold train before it leaves the station?

So your first statement is that we have no clue what is coming.

Then you dispute that anyone can predict what's coming.

Does anyone else see the painful contradiction?

hahahah

Harper was absolutely correct about bargains. I was actually thinking the same thing a few days before he said it. Sure, not everyone can afford to invest right now. Doesn't mean it's not a good time to. A big sale price on something you can't afford is still a big sale price. $5,000 off a $25,000 car? Huge deal. Doesn't help anyone who can't afford the 20k, but lack of cash doesn't mean the $5,000 off is not a great opportunity for those who can.

There are a number of exceptionally strong companies whose stocks have fallen with the overall market due to nothing more than panic. How do you think rich people GET rich? Buy low, sell high. While the rest of world is freaking out, Warren Buffet, one of the richest men in the world (also one of the most philanthropic) is buying big. He knows. Could he lose? Sure, if (when) markets fall more, he could lose some short term. But he also knows no matter how low they go, they'll be coming up eventually, and they'll go a lot higher than where they are now.

Edited by Bryan