Bush Ads Expolit 9-11 Images

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has exploited 9-11 ever since 9-11.

He was able to brainwash people into believing that Saddam had something to do with it.

He was able to convince some people that all of the problems, i.e., deficits, massive jobs losses, etc all are because of 9-11.

When he is attacked for the deficits and job losses, his simple answer will be, "9-11."

He'll be the Ex-President with pun intended!

This to me is greatly appalling. He is using images of one of are most recent and horrible attacks on the United States, to try and sway the American public to vote for him; by using his Republican propaganda machine.

These ads are supposed to provide a sense of President Bush’s great leadership during the past 3 years, since September 11th. I believe it’s disrespecting September 11th, and used to gain support for his re-election. He honestly has not respect for the victims, and the horrible events that they encountered. The President has no sense of how touchy this subject is, and then to flaunt them in his ads for his personal gain is bullshit.

Is a 500 billion dollar deficit, economic recession, jobless rate up 5% (2.9 million jobs lost), 9 billion cut from “no child left behind”, trying to change are sacred constitution, lying to us abut war, 10,000 innocent civilians dead in Iraq, 500 US soldiers dead, loss of friends in the United Nations, not finding Osama Bin Laden, cut down on environmental standards, and cut 3.8 million dollars for health insurance for Americans...great leadership?

Oh, and hello everyone. I'm a 14 year old living in Portland, Oregon. I posted in the Gay Debate, just awhile go. Check it out...byebye :ph34r:

I'm a 14 year old living in Portland, Oregon. I posted in the Gay Debate, just awhile go. Check it out...byebye

Welcome. Most of us here act like we are ten, hope that you are not too mature for us.

Back to the thread. I agree, 9 11 should not have been used like that. Iraq, Afganistan and his actions for homeland securtiy yes, but to use the backdrop of Americans dying - uh uh.

Only the Republican propaganda machine could actually turn one of their biggest failures, the occurence of 9/11, into something that they'd actually use positively in their ads. Who let 9/11 happen? The Bush administration. Who has politicized 9/11 to its full extent? The Bush administration. Who has milked 9/11 for all its worth? The Bush administration.

Yet somehow these ads will HELP them, as George W Bush is actually connected positively with 9/11 even though he didn't do a damn thing to prevent it.

Propaganda works wonders.

It's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to suggest that Bush cannot evoke images of an event that defines his presidency and indeed an event by which he will be judged in November. The message is appropriate precisely because it highlights the fact that the Democrats refuse to acknowledge that 9/11 was a defining event in American history and had a tremendous impact on this country, economicaly as well as in terms of lives lost.

The primary difference here is that Bush regards 9/11 as an act of war, while the Democrats view it as a criminal act. This distinction is very important when considering how to combat terrorism.

Why don't the Dems invoke 9/11 to show that Kerry could offer better leadership in times of change?

The liberal cries of "foul play" are totally unjustified. To show the planes hitting the towers would have been in poor taste, but to show a few seconds of ground zero footage, raising the flag? Come on, let's get real here.

He has no choice but to run these adds because he obviously cannot run on the economy and jobs, healthcare, finding the large stock piles of WMD's, getting Osama, Balancing the Budget, and No Child Left Behind...

I think the 9-11 disaster could have been more effective if if they did without the flag draped coffin.

It would be his suicide not to run these adds.

Bottom line is, he has not shown good leadership but, shown the future presidents....WHAT NOT TO DO!

It's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to suggest that Bush cannot evoke images of an event that defines his presidency and indeed an event by which he will be judged in November.

Anyone else see the irony in Bush using 9-11 for political gain at the same time as his administration drags its feet on the 9-11 probe?

. The message is appropriate precisely because it highlights the fact that the Democrats refuse to acknowledge that 9/11 was a defining event in American history and had a tremendous impact on this country, economicaly as well as in terms of lives lost.

I'd like to see some evidence to back this up.

The liberal cries of "foul play" are totally unjustified. To show the planes hitting the towers would have been in poor taste, but to show a few seconds of ground zero footage, raising the flag? Come on, let's get real here.

It's not "liberals" who are upset. It's also the families of people who actually died that day. And the footage isn't just heart warming images of the flag, but includes footage of human remains being removed from the debris.

Don't forget moveon.org is helping with getting Bush out. That will provide help to John Kerry. This organization is huge, and it is funded by a billionaire...I think John Kerry is fine in the money situation.

Bush right now has more money, but he has had way more time to get it. John Kerry has had endorsements from people, but some have been going to Edwards, Dean, etc. They will soon switch to giving money to Kerry...and that will help him (since he is a the clear pick)

Then you have the majority of movie stars that usually endorse the democratic nominee.

So John Kerry's money will get fairly equal to Bush's. If it doesn’t, we still have moveon.org to equal the playing field. They already have ads out, which are not getting criticism like Bush's has. Bush ads's were supposed to be positive, and it backfired in his poor little face.

Your right he can't run on anything...so he has to go to this. Funny he does not have good old Dick in his ads... ;)

Just today:

Kerry ahead of Bush by 8% in the polls...and he does not even have a vice president to help with his polling. Plus a sitting president should be way ahead of the competitor, when he isn't even officially been chosen. Kerry was ahead of Bush even before he beat out Edwards. 8% is a fairly large amount of people, and Bush’s ads haven’t helped weaken this lead.

Proof: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselect...3-08-poll_x.htm

:rolleyes::P

You're right.

This 9-11 add would be like Kerry having an add showing dead American soldiers in Iraq. It would be just as legitimate cause the Iraqi War was based on false or sexed up pretenses and a big cause of some of the problems we're facing today, i.e., deficits, over-extended military, Iraq being a terrorists Mecca now and not before.

Kerry obviously wouldn't stoop to Bush's levels though out of respect for the families.

I'd like to see some evidence to back this up.
I'm sorry, I don't have a source for you. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Anyone else see the irony in Bush using 9-11 for political gain at the same time as his administration drags its feet on the 9-11 probe?
Accusations of the Adminstration dragging it's feet on the 9/11 probe is mostly hogwash; Democrat propaganda during an election year. The chairman of the 9\11 commission has stated that he is satisfied with the cooperation he has recieved. They have seen all the classified documents they needed to see, they have had access to all the testimony they need. Don't create a scandal where none exists.
It's not "liberals" who are upset. It's also the families of people who actually died that day.
You mean, the liberal families of people who died that day? Come on man, the NYT or Newsweek, or who ever the hell is was, obviously found these two or three people in advance, gave them all the same talking points, and prepared them to unleash their criticsm when the Bush ads ran. Have you seen these people make their rounds on all the shows, they all say the same exact garbage almost verbatim.

All I'm asking for is some perspective here. Of course there are 9/11 victims who a offended by the images, and there are many who are not and in fact applaud their use. The Media has tried to stick it Bush by portraying this as if this is offensive to all 9/11 families. It's crap politics at it's finest.

This 9-11 add would be like Kerry having an add showing dead American soldiers in Iraq.
You may be surprised when this shows up in a Kerry ad down the road. Maybe you'll change your tune then.

I'm sorry, I don't have a source for you. You'll just have to take my word for it.

No. You lack credibility.

Accusations of the Adminstration dragging it's feet on the 9/11 probe is mostly hogwash; Democrat propaganda during an election year. The chairman of the 9\11 commission has stated that he is satisfied with the cooperation he has recieved. They have seen all the classified documents they needed to see, they have had access to all the testimony they need. Don't create a scandal where none exists

Give me a break. Bush has done everything possible to stonewall the probe, from dithering on an extension, to editing key evidence prior to release, to editing testimony to refusing (in Condi's case) to testify at all.

You mean, the liberal families of people who died that day? Come on man, the NYT or Newsweek, or who ever the hell is was, obviously found these two or three people in advance, gave them all the same talking points, and prepared them to unleash their criticsm when the Bush ads ran. Have you seen these people make their rounds on all the shows, they all say the same exact garbage almost verbatim.

All I'm asking for is some perspective here. Of course there are 9/11 victims who a offended by the images, and there are many who are not and in fact applaud their use. The Media has tried to stick it Bush by portraying this as if this is offensive to all 9/11 families. It's crap politics at it's finest.

First: "repeating the exact garbage" is called "staying on meaasge", which is the same thing any communicator worth his or her salt would do.

As for "rap politics" I agree: Bush's expolitation of 9-11 is indeed crap politics (I also love how they didn't even use real firefighters in the ad. This administration and its supporters have no shame).

This 9-11 add would be like Kerry having an add showing dead American soldiers in Iraq.

You may be surprised when this shows up in a Kerry ad down the road. Maybe you'll change your tune then.

Well, Bush has never been seen near the grave of any of the servicemen who have died in Iraq and the Pentagon has expressly forbidden media coverage of the bodies coming home. i guess flag draped coffins are only appropriate for public view when its politically expeidient for the G.O.P.

Excerpts from:

Our 9/11

The attacks happened to us all.

BY DEBRA BURLINGAME

Monday, March 8, 2004 12:01 a.m. EST

Note: Ms. Burlingame, a life-long Democrat, is the sister of Charles F. "Chic" Burlingame, III, captain of American Airlines flight 77, which was crashed at the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001.

It is one thing for individual family members to invoke the memory of all 3,000 victims as they take to the microphone or podium to show respect for our collective loss. It is another for them to attempt to stifle the debate over the future direction of our country by declaring that the images of 9/11 should be off-limits in the presidential race, and to do so under the rubric of "The Families of Sept. 11." They do not represent me. Nor do they represent those Americans who feel that Sept. 11 was a defining moment in the history of our country and who want to know how the current or future occupant of the Oval Office views the lessons of that day.

The images of Ground Zero, the Pentagon and Shanksville have been plastered over coffee mugs, T-shirts, placemats, book covers and postage stamps, all without a peep from many of these family members.

It's not the pictures that disturb them so much as the person who is using them. This is demonstrated in their affiliation with Moveon.org, a rabidly anti-Bush group that sponsored a rally they held last Friday calling for the president to pull his ads off the air. But by disingenuously declaring themselves "non-partisan" and insisting that it is a matter of "taste," they retain a powerful weapon that they have learned to exploit to their advantage. They are "9/11 family members" and therefore enjoy the cloak of deference that has been graciously conferred upon them by the public, politicians and, most significantly, the media.

The leader of a lobbying group advised individuals at a 9/11 family meeting shortly after the attacks: "Make no mistake, you have a lot of power. Politicians are more afraid of you than you know." They know. As "relatives of 9/11 victims," they are virtually immune to challenge on the issue of who should have the loudest voice regarding the legacy of this national tragedy.

When the planes hit the buildings and the towers fell, some of their sons and daughters balled up their fists and determined then and there that they wanted to "do something" about it. Those who donned the uniforms of our Armed Forces in order to fight the war on terrorism are not offended by the images of Ground Zero. On the contrary, they are moved and inspired by them.

George W. Bush says that his presidency is inspired by an enduring obligation to those who lost their lives on that brutal September morning. The images of that day stand as an everlasting example of our country's darkest day and finest hour. They are a vivid reminder of the strength and resilience of our great country. They belong to us all--including this president. Let the candidates make their own choices. I trust the American people.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/fe...ml?id=110004787

What I find tasteless is some people, including some victims' families who would seek the opportunity to use the ads depicting the site of tragedy of their purported loved ones to become tools of dirty campaign smear-tactics.

Sort of makes me think of the words, "cashing in"...sorry but that's just what popped in my head!

And what I find tasteless is some Democrats who would take advantage of these grieving families and either induce, incite, stir or whatever to get them to see..and speak of the situation in a different...and negative perspective.

The issue is about TASTELESSness and VULGARITY. And the ones I see showing these characteristics are those anti-Bush who are trying to use all the grieving families in a dirty political campaign. Kinda replace the memory of what the Twin Tower tragedy now symbolize with crass....reducing any forms of dignity and consolation a grieving widow or parent may feel to crass!

Who's doing the salt-rubbing here?

Gee I suddenly have an image of Kerry doing a theatrical medal-stomping jig....(not his own medal, from what I heard)....

Anyway, what is wrong about Bush using the site? The tragedy happened on his watch....he responded to that situation (and whether we agree or disagree on his method of response is not the issue). Even some critics had grudgingly acknowledged that he handled that catastrophic incident well.

So anyone seeking a job cannot point out his qualities on his resume if it involved any tragedy at all?

9/11 is the greatest tragedy that has happened on American soil (the main 48 states). You liberals want to hid what has happened and try to give Bush hell about this. The reason for 9/11 was poor intelligence thanks to the Clinton administration. Also in the '90's your all so loving Kerry voted for an over $8 million cutting on U.S intelligence. Also Bush has the right to portray it as it was showing how he has given America some security that we never had previously. Also you fail to realize that this isn't just about a group of families, but the whole U.S. has been affected. It is just more of Kerry's propaganda to show that Bush is a "failure".

Yes, let's not forget what Bush's leadership on 9-11 consisted of: running like a scalded dog and then showing up to strut and beat his chest well after the fact.

I also find the constant refrains from the Bush camp about how much safer America is now to be hilarious, especially when put in context of the constant stream of "terror warnings" emanating from the White House. It's a campaign of fear by the Bushies.

Btw, as for those terror warnings that liberals are complaining about....just shows you, the poor Bush just can't do anything right!

When planes were grounded due to terror alert a few months back in different countries, some people complain about the inconvenience and said...."See? Nothing happened!"

When red alert pops up....Liberals complain, "Oh he's fear-mongering!"

Blast it! They also complained about the 9/11 attack....and still harping about it. "INTELLIGENCE KNEW AND HE DIDN'T WARN US!!!"

Now that they're warning us....they're whining about it! Gee, guys make up your minds.

:D:D:D

Btw, as for those terror warnings that liberals are complaining about....just shows you, the poor Bush just can't do anything right!

When planes were grounded due to terror alert a few months back in different countries, some people complain about the inconvenience and said...."See? Nothing happened!"

terror warnings to little to protect the public. If, as we are always told, terrorists can strike anywhere at anytime, warning us about it won't do a damn thing beyond spread fear and paranoia. It's part of the shell game: keep the public in a state of fear over terrorism so they don't notice things like the economy, the rising cost of foreign adventures and so forth.

As for 9-11, the complaints aren't due to a lack of warning, but a lack of action to prevent it.

terror warnings to little to protect the public. If, as we are always told, terrorists can strike anywhere at anytime, warning us about it won't do a damn thing beyond spread fear and paranoia. It's part of the shell game: keep the public in a state of fear over terrorism so they don't notice things like the economy, the rising cost of foreign adventures and so forth.

As for 9-11, the complaints aren't due to a lack of warning, but a lack of action to prevent it.

Isn't warning an act of prevention?

How sure are we that the heightened alert warnings did not thwart any attacks?

It would've been a different story if the attacks on the Twin Towers did not happen....but seeing that they did, why would we assume that these alert warnings were all false alarms? Just because nothing happened?

This "shell game" to distract people's attention is nothing compared to Clinton's bombing of Iraq...so conveniently timely...in the midst of the Lewinski scandal.

With these red alerts we all know what had happened. We all witnessed the horror, right smack in the midst of American soil..and we all know how vulnerable we all felt then...and that it could very well happen again.

As for paranoia...what is indeed paranoia? Is being vigilant and well-prepared classified as such? I didn't see any panicking...of people rushing into the stores to empty shelves! But I'm sure that a lot of the people have the common sense to prepare for any emergency that may arise...and that awareness is vital.

I would prefer to be reminded that there are those who seeks martyrdom by annihilating the "evil" that is us (just because of our way of life).

I'd rather not be lulled into false security.

How sure are we that the heightened alert warnings did not thwart any attacks?

That's the rub, isn't it? Who really knows? Let's say I have in my hand a small pebble. Now, by rubbing this pebble, I can prevent meterors from crashing on my hometown. That sound ludicrious, of course, but since there have been no meteors crashing on my hometown, who's to say the pebble's not working?

This "shell game" to distract people's attention is nothing compared to Clinton's bombing of Iraq...so conveniently timely...in the midst of the Lewinski scandal.

Exactly. Cynical political ploys all. (However, I'd hardly call fostering a domestic climate of fear and paranoia in order to pursue an unpopular agenda "nothing".)

As for paranoia...what is indeed paranoia? Is being vigilant and well-prepared classified as such? I didn't see any panicking...of people rushing into the stores to empty shelves! But I'm sure that a lot of the people have the common sense to prepare for any emergency that may arise...and that awareness is vital.

Paranoia: 1. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.

2. Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

Here's a couple blasts from the past...

Florida Muslim arrests were mistake

Duct tape sales rise amid terror fears

The question is, when does common sense emergency preparedness cross into paranoia fear and distrust?

More on terror warnings....

Old, but interesting, survey.

Americans seem to be more annoyed than pleased by the Bush Administration's periodic tendency to issue vague but scary warnings about new terrorist threats -- so much so that citizens don't appear to be taking them to heart.
I would prefer to be reminded that there are those who seeks martyrdom by annihilating the "evil" that is us (just because of our way of life).

I'd rather not be lulled into false security.

Your simplistic assesment of terrorist motives aside, how long before these vague warnings simply become part of the background noise and lose whatever effectiveness they might have? It's the boy who cried wolf on a grand scale.

That's the rub, isn't it? Who really knows?

Exactly. You can not guarantee that all were false...especially when something horrific had already indeed happened.

Cynical political ploys all.

Ploy on Clinton's part more likely...considering the scenario involved when he ordered the bombing of Iraq. As far as I can remember, there were no foreign aggressive attacks on American soil during Clinton's admin.

(However, I'd hardly call fostering a domestic climate of fear and paranoia in order to pursue an unpopular agenda "nothing".)

Can you cite some examples of fear and paranoia shown by the public due to these alerts?

Btw, when firemen go about telling us that smoke alarms save lives....and you see all these posters, the video tapes on how to survive during a fire, the fire drills in schools, hospitals, etc.., does this also foster a climate of fear and paranoia?

How about those "buckle up" ads...when you see those dummies going through the windshields simulating a human in an accident? Then just as when you thought those airbags are the answer...you find out whoaaa...you're better off without them!

Doesn't this also foster a climate of fear and paranoia?

Paranoia: 1. A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.

I wouldn't call Ground Zero and the thousands of people that died on 9/11 a "delusion".

2. Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

There's nothing irrational in trying to be one step ahead from those who wish us harm.

And there's definitely nothing irrational in being extra vigilant. I would just like to remind you of the KADHR's that had been plastered on the news lately...for all the protestations of innocence and injustice....the truth came out in the end! Btw, isn't Mrs Kadhr the one being wooed by the NDP to run for office under their banner?

Duct tape sales rise amid terror fears

So?

Isn't the threat possible?

If people want to have something handy in the event of biological or whatever attack...then at least that's their choice. Those skeptics can just scoff it off and go about their business...no one is forcing them to buy duct tapes.

By these alert warnings, at least people are given a choice on what to do. Either prepare yourselves as adviced...or ignore the advice.

Why should individual choices be denied....because that's what it means by what you are suggesting.

The question is, when does common sense emergency preparedness cross into paranoia fear and distrust?

I guess that depends on each and every individual. We'll always have the extremists...the avowed survivalists....(remember Y2K?)

But I say that 9/11 was quite a loud wake-up call. Common sense dictates that we heed and learn from that painful experience and not go back to burying our heads in the sand pretending that it was all a bad dream and that it will never happen again.