DEBATE NIGHT

betsy

Thursday Debate Night  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was going to tune in to the Palin-Biden debate, but now I'm really eager to see our own debate.

Anyone knows if there's a replay telecast of the US debate?

You can tape it. But you can be sure you will be able to see it via videostream later on CNN or Fox News.

The Canadian debate will be five people yelling at one another.

I intend to watch the Joe & Sarah show and just the highlights of the Canadain debate afterwards.

I'll watch the American late-night tv hosts for their VP's debate highlights. Heck, they've been closer to real news in the last 7 years anyways...

Also because Canadian Politics is soooo much more important.

you will be in for a shock - i think they tape before the debates

I will watch the US debate, I have been waiting for the moment of truth - emergence of a true politician, or is this a kinda Dan Quayle

Guest American Woman
I was going to tune in to the Palin-Biden debate, but now I'm really eager to see our own debate.

Anyone knows if there's a replay telecast of the US debate?

CNN will carry a replay Friday at 9 a.m. GMT and 4 p.m. GMT. link

So, what are people thinking so far?

I think this format kind of sucks. It breaks down into chaos too often, and the moderator is often having a hard time keeping things under control.

I think Harper is doing a fair job in his punching-bag role. He's had a tough time with some issues (environment, manufacturing jobs) where Harper obviously doesn't have a lot of sunshine to blow up peoples' skirts.

Among the opposition, I think Layton is doing the best job. I don't agree with him on much, but he's much better at this than Dion and May. Duceppe is laying back and picking his spots, but has been rather quiet overall. Dion has been pretty dismal IMO.

I think the danger of the format is primarily to the opposition parties, ironically. To me, at least, the jumble of people trying to take on Harper winds up making them blend together. It makes Harper stand out while the rest of them sound like an angry crowd.

:lol: at Duceppe with probably the line of the night in response to the question "what's the first thing you'd do as Prime Minister?" Duceppe replied: "well, I know I am not going to be Prime Minister. 3 of you are not going to be Prime Minister either, but not all of you know it yet."

-k

So, what are people thinking so far?

I think this format kind of sucks. It breaks down into chaos too often, and the moderator is often having a hard time keeping things under control.

Because there are so many people, as well, it doesn't lend itself to anything more than very quick answers. I think this makes it hard for Harper, because it takes little time to make an accusation, which is what all the opposition types are doing, but you often need a lot more time to adequately answer them than he is given.

I think that the moderator really does not to turn the microphones off on people who won't shut up and stop interrupting.

I think Harper is doing a fair job in his punching-bag role. He's had a tough time with some issues (environment, manufacturing jobs) where Harper obviously doesn't have a lot of sunshine to blow up peoples' skirts.

I think, as I said, that in most cases, such as manufacturing, jobs and the environment, the opposition are making wild, and often economically idiotic claims which he hasn't got the time to rebut. For example, All five will make a statement of some sort, four of them being accusations against Harper. Then he has like thirty seconds to respond. I do think Harper could have done a better job of pointing out that tacking on tens of billions in extra business taxes, as Dion and Layton want to do, is not likely to help manufacturing or create jobs. Whereas his tax cuts to business will.