First Presidential Debate

The much anticipated but totally contrived debating season has begun. Looks like Senators Obama and McCain have settled into a nice rhythm with no surprises. McCain is less polished (expected), but Obama needs to watch his off mike posture and facial expressions because the camera is still on!

And the winner is....TBD.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't McCain look Obama in the eye during this dialogue? Obama shows him the utmost respect, eye contact and all, yet McCain speaks to the cameras and the negotiator as though Obama is in a different room...

Unconscious rascism?

Nope...standard debate tactics...McCain already knows that Obama isn't going to vote for him. Obama also is a bit impatient on rebuttal, not waiting for the "old man" to finish.

Why can't McCain look Obama in the eye during this dialogue? Obama shows him the utmost respect, eye contact and all, yet McCain speaks to the cameras and the negotiator as though Obama is in a different room...

Unconscious racism?

A tactic, no doubt, but little to do with race I am sure. People unlikely to vote for Obama because of his skin color have already made their choice.

But it's so rude, so obviously rude for him to avoid eye contact.

But Americans are rude....Canadians tell us that all the time. Ever been to New York?

No major home runs hit here tonight...no major screw ups......McCain didn't have to let us know who he is, but Obama did need to prove his mettle. Not sure he did that. Obama was too deferential, probably because he didn't want to be seen as mean spirited. McCain showed open contempt for Obama and may get away with it.

I think both men conducted themselves well. I did find that McCain was not as superficial as Obama in his answers and opinions. Overall, as a Canuck observer, I learned more about the issues through McCain's presentation.

Yes...McCain did well just to hold his own against a more polished politician, and seemed very comfortable with foreign policy questions. I suspect that McCain's advantage tonight will be reversed in Obama's favor for domestic policy questions.

If I had to characterize the outcome, it would be that McCain did not lose, and Obama did not win! :lol:

It was an informative, civilized debate. I found it interesting both for content and style. I almost feel that I would like them both to win.

In a sense, both men in their ways have had their crosses to bear and they arrived with a certain weight.

Obama was more articulate whereas McCain was more folksy. I liked McCain's repeated assertions that government spending is out of control because it's my belief too. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picked up more votes.

Both men would make good presidents.

The role reversals were telling.....Obama talking tough with "take them out" (while being clueless about such things)...and McCain urging a more delicate approach to Pakistan besides "bombing" them.

I expect nothing to come from this or their future debates in the end....it's a choice between an old school warrior and the upstart community organizer.....past vs. future....known vs. unknown.

I wonder who Hillary will vote for? :lol:

I was quite impressed with McCain. To be honest, I thought Obama would handily win in a debate with McCain, but in the debate Obama's sound bite answers and voice inflection rang hollow. McCain seemed unlike a politician with something to sell, a rare thing in politics these days.

It appeared to me to be a slight edge for McCain. I don't think its enough to move him ahead though I think he would have done better if the debate stuck to what it was supposed to be about- foreign policy.

Economics seem to hurt him. There is no way he can untie himself to the record of Bush, no matter what he does.

They were both duds on the financial crisis. Boilerplate answers - I was hoping for at least some decent discussion on how to protect the taxpayers' interest. Neither answered the question on how the bailout would affect their budgetary priorities.

Obama was more professorial, more aloof. McCain was better in reaching out to the audience and by spicing his answers with anecdotes. He was the more interesting speaker. Was able to put Obama on the defensive. Certainly played the experience card a lot.

Edited by maldon_road

They were both duds on the financial crisis. Boilerplate answers - I was hoping for at least some decent discussion on how to protect the taxpayers' interest. Neither answered the question on how the bailout would affect their budgetary priorities.

I agree, however, I think they need to be given a partial pass. They won't really be able to talk in specifics until a bailout deal is finalized. Right now there's probably a lot still being negotiated.

I agree, however, I think they need to be given a partial pass. They won't really be able to talk in specifics until a bailout deal is finalized. Right now there's probably a lot still being negotiated.

Shit I don't even think wall street and alot of expert financial analyist have that figured out let alone the potential next presidents.

Obama nailed McCain on his statement last week about not meeting with the President of Spain. McCain uttered "bullshit" twice. He needs to watch his off mike statements as the mike is still on.

Perhaps...but Senator McCain is supposed to say "bullshit"...on and off mike.....that's how he got where he is....ditto George Bush.

Obama has come off a little bit more Presidential so far in my opinion.

Definitely. I don't understand how anyone could see it differently. Obama was speaking in real-time whereas McCain was regressing to rehearsed statements his handlers helped him memorize.

In my opinion, McCain looked like one of those crooked-neck, turkey-vulture politicians from the movie "The Dark Crystal." :lol:

watching it now on PVR, McCain is tugging on the heart strings for sure, Obama has come off a little bit more Presidential so far in my opinion.

A few times I thought McCain would start full-out crying... his eyes certainly did fill up alot but he managed to blink the tears back (whew! LOL)

Obama came across as a much stronger/together, much less emotional than McCain.

Anyone else notice the applause and cheering for Barak and Michelle at the very end -- awesome!