NEW LIBERAL AD BLASTS HARPER & CLARIFIES GREEN SHIFT

It is an odd ad. The first half plays Harpers game, by going after the leader. Dion cannot win that game. If you think Harper sucks, shouldn't you present an alternative to him?

It sets up a comparison that never comes, since Dions name is never mentioned and his face never appears in the ad.

The Liberals are in trouble.

Edited by fellowtraveller

It is an odd ad. The first half plays Harpers game, by going after the leader. Dion cannot win that game. If you think Harper sucks, shouldn't you present an alternative to him?

It sets up a comparison that never comes, since Dions name is never mentioned and his face never appears in the ad.

The Liberals are in trouble.

The thing is, the Liberals are probably the better party, though. They certainly have more experiences when it comes to governance, while the Conservatives have spent much of their existance in Opposition. The Liberals shouldn't be judged on Dion alone. Remember, it was Mulroney that screwed up Canada during the late 80s, and it was the Liberals who had to fix it. And now that we're in a tough economic situation, do we need another Mulroney at the helm cutting taxes (supposedly) and overspending? Nope.

Cutting taxes?

Sure. Tax cuts we pay for with higher prices. :rolleyes:

As opposed to tax cuts we pay for with service charges. :rolleyes:

Any relative savings that the consumer got with reducing the GST 5% went out the window when the dollar shot up. Also, if a person doesn't make big ticket purchases, the saving is neglidgeable, so big deal. Why not keep it at 7% and use the money towards cleaning up the environment and social/arts programs?

The thing is, the Liberals are probably the better party, though. They certainly have more experiences when it comes to governance, while the Conservatives have spent much of their existance in Opposition.

Your point is that The Liberals have been in power longer, so they should stay in power?

By that logic, no other party should ever be in power.

Any relative savings that the consumer got with reducing the GST 5% went out the window when the dollar shot up. Also, if a person doesn't make big ticket purchases, the saving is neglidgeable, so big deal. Why not keep it at 7% and use the money towards cleaning up the environment and social/arts programs?

At one time the Libs promised to restore it to 7%. But I haven't heard that lately.

Turn The Page

The latest ad from the Federal Liberal Party. Looks like Dion is realizing he has to attack Harper because Harper is vulnerable on a lot of issues, especially the economy. He's a dinosaur, and we are a progressive country. It's time to evolve.

Dion has about as much chance of winning the election as the Earth does getting hit by Haley's Comet...lol...the man hasn t got a chance but i will say thank god the Liberals put Dion in charge...they practically handed Harper the election...lol!!

Go Harper!!

Your point is that The Liberals have been in power longer, so they should stay in power?

By that logic, no other party should ever be in power.

No, I'm saying that the party with more experiences is better at governing. Having the same party in power of long stretches of time sure worked for Ontario, but then the Liberals and NDP came to power and screwed everything up; which led to the Harris/Eves regime fiasco. Regardless of who is leader, the country would probably be better off with the Liberals in power rather than a regional party like the Cons.

Regardless of who is leader, the country would probably be better off with the Liberals in power rather than a regional party like the Cons.

I think you've made this claim before. How do you figure the Liberals are NOT a regional party? Last time I looked they had a lot of Ontario, Quebec, a few seats in the Maritimes but only the odd "Landslide Annie" west of Manitoba.

Or don't you think western Canada is important enough for a "national party" to have good representation?

As opposed to tax cuts we pay for with service charges. :rolleyes:

Eh? You do realize that when the Canadian dollar goes up you get a raise if your income is in Canadian dollars. Don't you?

No, I'm saying that the party with more experiences is better at governing. Having the same party in power of long stretches of time sure worked for Ontario, but then the Liberals and NDP came to power and screwed everything up; which led to the Harris/Eves regime fiasco. Regardless of who is leader, the country would probably be better off with the Liberals in power rather than a regional party like the Cons.

I'd take the Liberals over the Ass Backwards repressive social conservative regime of Harper ANY day, that said, This is Jack Layton's election. Everyone to the left of the theo-Cons should help elect Canada's progressive alternative with a strong Leader, Jack Layton and the NDP.

I'd take the Liberals over the Ass Backwards repressive social conservative regime of Harper ANY day, that said, This is Jack Layton's election. Everyone to the left of the theo-Cons should help elect Canada's progressive alternative with a strong Leader, Jack Layton and the NDP.

Too bad More Canadians like the repressive socon regime of harper over the hippie commie NDP. One vote to a customer.

Repressive? The cons aren't making you stay here, your free to leave.

I think you've made this claim before. How do you figure the Liberals are NOT a regional party? Last time I looked they had a lot of Ontario, Quebec, a few seats in the Maritimes but only the odd "Landslide Annie" west of Manitoba.

Or don't you think western Canada is important enough for a "national party" to have good representation?

God I get tired of the whining from some of you Westerners... As Artie Lange says... "Waaaaaaaaa"

God I get tired of the whining from some of you Westerners... As Artie Lange says... "Waaaaaaaaa"

Wild Bill

Rating: 3

Group: Members

Member No.: 3767

I get tired of some of the whining from my part of the country just as much as you, but he's not from the west.

Edited by Smallc

Remember, it was Mulroney that screwed up Canada during the late 80s, and it was the Liberals who had to fix it.

CORRECTION!

It was Trudeau that screwed up well before Mulroney became PM. Before him Canada had no debt. He sent us down the road of deficit spending and Mulroney inherited the mess during a recession and admittedly made it worse.

CORRECTION!

It was Trudeau that screwed up well before Mulroney became PM. Before him Canada had no debt. He sent us down the road of deficit spending and Mulroney inherited the mess during a recession and admittedly made it worse.

No, actually he took over the country when Canada had a good economy, and he ran up the debt from about $200 billion to $600 billion nonetheless; "made it worse" is an understatement.

NEW LIBERAL AD EXCITES DION SUPPORTERS & MERITS ALL CAPS

...but where are the exclamation points? I don't think people will be truly excited about the Green Shift until the ads merit exclamation points as well as all-caps.

By what possible rationale can the CPC still be called a "regional party" in 2008? Only a dolt would make such a claim.

-k

No, I'm saying that the party with more experiences is better at governing.

Then you ARE saying that there should be no elections, because whoever is in power should stay in power all the time - as they are the most experienced.

How well does that work in other countries? Do you think the Zimbabwe government is really good because they've been in power for twenty five years?

No, actually he took over the country when Canada had a good economy, and he ran up the debt from about $200 billion to $600 billion nonetheless; "made it worse" is an understatement.

Perhaps you could tell us what new and expensive programs and spending Mulroney introduced which cost so much money?

Cause, ya know, it's my impression that the vast majority of that extra debt came due to reduced tax flow during a recession, and the immense costs of servicing Trudeau's debt at a time of double digit inflation and sky high interest rates.