Interviews with Palin

Guest American Woman

"Stinkingly Liberal?" :huh:

I know your polls are showing a conservative win right now, but I'm not so sure that's going to happen as polls have been wrong in the past. I'm sure Harper will be re-elected, but he may not get the majority government he's hoping for-- and that was the reason for calling the election, wasn't it?

As for my opinion on your election, I have no hesitation giving my views because it's "none of my business." ;) I hope Harper doesn't get his majority government. So far it seems as if he's been pretty centrist in his actions, and I wouldn't want to see that change because he had a majority government behind him.

I'm not sure there would be much change of philosophy if Harper gets a majority. However, with a majority he wouldn't have the impediments that he has now about enacting his program. Which is bad news for the artsy-fartsy set.

As for a majority I saw a recent poll that said 55% of the population don't want Harper to get a majority. If the polls continue to lean that way I can foresee some backing away from the CPC in voting intentions.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is again. The 'we have to go easy on her' attitude. I have no doubt Biden will not hesitate to say what needs to be said out of any 'fear' that the Right is trying to instill in him/Obama/their supporters. I think the attempt to keep people at bay where she's concerned has failed miserably for the McCain/Palin camp.

I have seen very little of Biden as a public speaker. But I have read that he can be mordant. The objective then would be to show Palin as inept but not to the point of demeaning her so that people might be sympathetic.

I don't think I've ever seen anything more pathetic than the attempt to 'protect' a VP candidate. That so many people feel the need to make people feel as if they should do that, that she's so unprepared that people feel "sympathy" for how unable she is to address the issues, is beyond remarkable; it's totally bizarre.

..and I don't think I've ever seen such strident atempts to atttack a VP candidate. But this just means the selection will achieve the desired political goal.

Does anybody remember who won the Cheney-Edwards debate?

Guest American Woman
I have seen very little of Biden as a public speaker. But I have read that he can be mordant. The objective then would be to show Palin as inept but not to the point of demeaning her so that people might be sympathetic.

Biden comes across great. I have no doubt he'll do just fine. But like I said, the fact that people could end up being "sympathetic" towards her shows how ill-equipped for the job she is. When has anyone ever worried about how hard an opposing candidate was going to come down on their opponent during the debates?

As a side note, I'm not sure the other leaders of the world-- China, Russia, for example-- would take the 'soft touch' out of sympathy for her when dealing the serious issues that are confronting the world today. Notice that no one raised any of these concerns in regards to Hillary. This all makes Palin a joke, really; just like the Palin doll out on the market that says the same ten phrases over ... and over ... and over .....

.... Notice that no one raised any of these concerns in regards to Hillary.

That's because "rookie" Hillary Clinton (and her husband) got their time in the barrel back in 1993. That's when they were handed their "experienced" asses on health care. She didn't even get that far this time.

Biden comes across great. I have no doubt he'll do just fine. But like I said, the fact that people could end up being "sympathetic" towards her shows how ill-equipped for the job she is. When has anyone ever worried about how hard an opposing candidate was going to come down on their opponent during the debates?

As a side note, I'm not sure the other leaders of the world-- China, Russia, for example-- would take the 'soft touch' out of sympathy for her when dealing the serious issues that are confronting the world today. Notice that no one raised any of these concerns in regards to Hillary. This all makes Palin a joke, really; just like the Palin doll out on the market that says the same ten phrases over ... and over ... and over .....

I don't know to what extent Americans - when looking at Palin - see themselves; working mother with a child with an illness who needs to be cared for. Maybe they don't; maybe they see a power figure out of their league. But to the extent that they do relate to her the more damage the Democrats will do to their cause if they continue to attack her. The more they attack Palin as lacking experience they are also in effect recognizing the lack of experience of Obama who has a record of public service in line with Palin's.

It's McCain who is running for President, not Palin.

I think some perspective on her is needed. I was in New York City for a week, beginning with the first day of the Republican convention. During that time I read the NY Post and in a few days was led to believe that she was the personification of Margaret Thatcher, Joan of Arc and the Bionic Woman. In another paper she was shown to be a cave dwelling Neanderthal.

She was not chosen for her political depth but in order for McCain to get more money in his coffers from the religious right. Unless I'm wrong I think by election day she will be a bit player and people will be voting on how they perceive Obama and McCain.

Guest American Woman
And how many times in the last century has the VP had to step in? She is not running for president.

Why only the last century? :blink: And how many times has a candidate been 72 years old or older? Ever? The answer to that is Zero. The answer to how many times a VP has had to step in is 9 times out of the 43 presidencies to date.

She is running for president should she need to step in. Your denial does nothing to change that fact.

Edited by American Woman

"Part of the magic of Palin is she's real people, not some overly polished insider. That's why the public has taken to her so well, she's obviously one of them."

After eight years of proclaiming George Bush's ignorance and lack of curiosity to be a virtue, should we be surprised that American conservatives are pulling out the same strategy with Sarah Palin?

Republicans have made intellect a vice, and ignorance a virtue, and now they are paying a heavy price! How many Americans want more leaders who are captives of their advisers?

Lowering the standards to the bottom of the barrel in order to make her appear 'not so bad' says about all that needs to be said.

Omg. Here it is again. The 'we have to go easy on her' attitude. I have no doubt Biden will not hesitate to say what needs to be said out of any 'fear' that the Right is trying to instill in him/Obama/their supporters. I think the attempt to keep people at bay where she's concerned has failed miserably for the McCain/Palin camp.

I don't think I've ever seen anything more pathetic than the attempt to 'protect' a VP candidate. That so many people feel the need to make people feel as if they should do that, that she's so unprepared that people feel "sympathy" for how unable she is to address the issues, is beyond remarkable; it's totally bizarre.

Yep. people should go easy on her, after all she's just a woman. And of course that kind of attitude is not sexism.

And how many times in the last century has the VP had to step in? She is not running for president.

5 out 19 is my memory serves me well. Which is often enough. If Sarah Palin was a Democrat candidate, there would not be any of that "be nice to her, she's a woman from Alaska". She would be a "b*tch" from nowhere trying to usurp a man's job and who would need to be kept away from the Presidency and sent back to her kitchen.

Edited by CANADIEN

"Part of the magic of Palin is she's real people, not some overly polished insider. That's why the public has taken to her so well, she's obviously one of them."

After eight years of proclaiming George Bush's ignorance and lack of curiosity to be a virtue, should we be surprised that American conservatives are pulling out the same strategy with Sarah Palin?

Republicans have made intellect a vice, and ignorance a virtue, and now they are paying a heavy price! How many Americans want more leaders who are captives of their advisers?

It is one thing to be like the ordinary folk, and we need more politicians with that type of background (preferably with out ultra-conservative viewpoints).

It is another thing to be clueless about the issues that would face her if she became President. Ordinary folks do not have to settle issues regarding the country's health system; they don't have to make decisions regarding the national debt, they don't have to nominate Supreme Court judges, they don't have to respond to the terrorist threat and they will never have to sit across the Bering Strrait (err I mean the table) from an hostile leader armed with nuclear weapons.

Which is not of course to say that someone has to be born in priviledge, to live in a cozy suburb or to prefer caviar to mooseburger to knooooow about the issues. But one still needs to understand the questions.

Edited by CANADIEN

I heard a clip on one of the cable news shows where an expert on debate tactics said she would have been coached to do this before hand to establish a personal rapport and to interrupt the interviewer without appearing rude and offensive.

You're right, they coached a puppet and she came across as a puppet. She didn't just use his name to politely interrupt, she overused it. She came across as phony, and cocky!

Edited by Carinthia

Why only the last century? :blink: And how many times has a candidate been 72 years old or older? Ever? The answer to that is Zero. The answer to how many times a VP has had to step in is 9 times out of the 43 presidencies to date.

And how many times in the last century has there been a President who was 72 years old with a history of melanoma? He has beaten it four times, good for him, but how many more times can he luck out? He is also in poor health due to his injuries from Vietnam. I hate to sound crass about this but the odds are pretty high that she could be called to step in.

Edited by Carinthia

And how many times in the last century has there been a President who was 72 years old with a history of melanoma? He has beaten it four times, good for him, but how many more times can he luck out? He is also in poor health due to his injuries from Vietnam. I hate to sound crass about this but the odds are pretty high that she could be called to step in.

So what? The USA doesn't live or die based on the health prospects of any person. Hell, Joe Biden is 66 and looks like the Crypt Keeper, but I don't care if he becomes VP (because of age).

We shot a very young JFK dead, only to get LBJ. Life goes on......

Guest American Woman

McCain in the oldest presidential candidate ever, and it is true that POW's are not having as long a life expectancy, so you're correct in your assessment. Can you even begin to imagine "President Palin??" :blink:

Edited by American Woman

The VP debate is the same night as the sole English language Canadian leaders debate. I am going to watch the Joe and Sarah show since Canadian debates are too chaotic and I already know whom I am voting for.

I'll watch the Sarah-Joe debate too and just catch the Canadian replay on CPAC.