Interviews with Palin

Guest American Woman

Every time the left criticizes Palin for lack of experience they expose Obama's lack. As governor, Bill Clinton ran a state budget of 2 billion. Palin's been running one of 18 billion. Obama? a junior senator who's written two books about himself.

You mean every time the Republicans bring the experience card, they contradict themselves. "We need someone with years and years of experience, but two years will do"

Edited by CANADIEN

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean every time the Republicans bring the experience card, they contradict themselves. "We need someone with years and years of experience, but two years will do"

It also prevents the Democrats from using the experience factor.

I watched a special on McCain and Obama on CNN about a week ago. I thought it was a fair review of the two men, warts and all - such as "The Keating Five" issue.

But it did bring home how little experience Obama has. Short time in the Senate and nothing relevant beforehand.

Edited by maldon_road

It also prevents the Democrats from using the experience factor.

I watched a special on McCain and Obama on CSN about a week ago. I thought it was a fair review of the two men, warts and all - such as "The Keating Five" issue.

But it did bring home how little experience Obama has. Short time in the Senate and nothing relevant beforehand.

As Palin keeps not understanding questions, it will deny both parties the use of the experience factor. Mind you, I always thought "experience" is not a qualification. The job of President of the United States is unique... You don't get training and schooling for that.

Guest American Woman
Dead on. These polls that show that 80% of the (non-American) world want Obama as president surely must piss off Americans.

Doesn't piss me off in the least. How is that different from you, a non-American, saying you want McCain?

If I see a poll in the next six weeks telling me that the majority of people in Uzbekistan want Jack Layton as Canadian PM I sure as hell won't be voting NDP. :ph34r:

Something tells me you won't be voting NDP anyway. Now if you were to see a poll in the next six weeks telling you that the majority of people in Uzbekistan want Harper to win, are you saying you 'sure as hell wouldn't vote for Harper?' <_<

Doesn't piss me off in the least. How is that different from you, a non-American, saying you want McCain?

I believe that McCain will win - I came to that conclusion several weeks ago. It's up to Americans to decide if they want him.

But Obama created this by giving a campaign speech in a foreign country. When McCain came to Ottawa it was to address a business group on business issues.

Something tells me you won't be voting NDP anyway. Now if you were to see a poll in the next six weeks telling you that the majority of people in Uzbekistan want Harper to win, are you saying you 'sure as hell wouldn't vote for Harper?' <_<

It didn't read the way I wanted it so I changed it.

Guest American Woman
As Palin keeps not understanding questions, it will deny both parties the use of the experience factor. Mind you, I always thought "experience" is not a qualification. The job of President of the United States is unique... You don't get training and schooling for that.

You don't get training and schooling, yet 'on the job training' is exactly what Palin is getting. Most politicians would pick it up from from daily living, from being aware of the issues, from interest in national and foreign affairs, and forming opinions and policies-- but Palin had no such interests; she admits she was too 'state focused' to be aware of what was going on nationally and internationally, and therefore has to be "trained" and "schooled" in that regard.

Obama has been interested in, and following, national and international affairs for years. He doesn't need anyone to "school" him and "teach him" about the issues; he already is aware of them and has formed his own opinions. You won't hear him saying he's not really aware of what's going on in Iraq, and you didn't hear him saying he had no idea what the job of POTUS entailed.

So Palin's inability to answer questions in no way reflects on Obama, who is quite able to answer questions. I haven't seen any "deer in headlights" reactions from him, nor do I expect to. It's just not going to happen.

Edited by American Woman

Are you talking about the office of President or VP, or a blend of the two? Criticisms of Obama's experience are concerning the office of President, for which Palin is not running.

Guest American Woman
I believe that McCain will win - I came to that conclusion several weeks ago. It's up to Americans to decide if they want him.

You don't only believe he will win-- you want him to win. As I said, it's no different from the other "non-Americans" who have a personal choice regarding who they want to win and give their views accordingly. It's exactly what you yourself have done.

But Obama created this by giving a campaign speech in a foreign country. When McCain came to Ottawa it was to address a business group on business issues.

So what? Business groups are who McCain wants to appeal to, so that's who he spoke to. What's the difference between Obama speaking in a foreign country and McCain speaking in a foreign country? The difference is you want McCain to win, and not Obama, so you find McCain's actions acceptable and Obama's objectionable -- when the issue is exactly the same: speaking in a foreign country.

It didn't read the way I wanted it so I changed it.

Of course you changed it, because we both know what your answer would be. There's no way you wouldn't vote for the candidate of your choice just because it was the same candidate foreigners wanted to win.

But let's look at your completely revised statement: If I see a poll in the next six weeks telling me that the majority of people in Uzbekistan want Jack Layton as Canadian PM I would have to wonder why a bunch of foreigners want to give their views on something that is not their business.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be wondering "why a bunch of foreigners want to give their views on something that is not their business" if they wanted Harper to win, but that's beside the point, because perhaps they would "want to give their views on something that's not their business" for the same reasons that you, a "foreigner," want to give your views on "something that is not [your] business."

So what are your reasons for wanting to give your views on our election? Answer that, and you might find some answers as to why other foreigners would want to give their views. <_<

Guest American Woman
Are you talking about the office of President or VP, or a blend of the two? Criticisms of Obama's experience are concerning the office of President, for which Palin is not running.

She most definitely is running for the office of president, should anything happen to McCain. What do you think she's running for-- McCain's personal assistant?

Guest American Woman
The commentator is Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, and he is easily one of my favorite members of the American MSM. He is one of the few journalists on any U.S. television network to aggresively & accurately criticize Bush and his administration during the last 8 years.

I recommend you go on youtube.com and search "Keith Olbermann special comment". You will not be disappointed. This is one of my favorites.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me who he was. I watched the clip you cited and agree that it's really good, very powerful, so I thank you for the link, too. I'll be watching more of him for sure.

You don't only believe he will win-- you want him to win.

What I have said is that in my areas of interest (foreign policy, the economy) McCain would be better for Canada. But I would not participate in a poll which asked me to express a preference as to who should be the President of the US since I would regard it as none of my business.

I have lived in the US during elections and have avoided getting into political discussions.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be wondering "why a bunch of foreigners want to give their views on something that is not their business" if they wanted Harper to win...

My views would be the same regardless for whom foreigners had a preference.

Edited by maldon_road

Guest American Woman
What I have said is that in my areas of interest (foreign policy, the economy) McCain would be better for Canada.

And I'm sure others think Obama would be better for their countries. As I said, their reasons are the same as yours.

But I would not participate in a poll which asked me to express a preference as to who should be the President of the US since I would regard it as none of my business.

What difference does it make whether you express your choice in a poll or not? How is it your business to say here that you want McCain to win but not their business to say it in a poll?

I have lived in the US during elections and have avoided getting into political discussions.

You're not avoiding it now; and since the people answering polls in their own nations aren't in the U.S. getting into political discussions either, there's no difference .

If the office of POTUS didn't include foreign policy, I doubt whether anyone outside the U.S. would give a damn who our president was. But since policies that the POTUS carries out most definitely aren't limited to the United States, and can in fact be quite intrusive to the rest of the world, people would have to be apathetic about their own nations and/or the rest of the world not to have a view regarding who gets elected.

Edited by American Woman

You don't get training and schooling, yet 'on the job training' is exactly what Palin is getting. Most politicians would pick it up from from daily living, from being aware of the issues, from interest in national and foreign affairs, and forming opinions and policies-- but Palin had no such interests; she admits she was too 'state focused' to be aware of what was going on nationally and internationally, and therefore has to be "trained" and "schooled" in that regard.

Obama has been interested in, and following, national and international affairs for years. He doesn't need anyone to "school" him and "teach him" about the issues; he already is aware of them and has formed his own opinions. You won't hear him saying he's not really aware of what's going on in Iraq, and you didn't hear him saying he had no idea what the job of POTUS entailed.

So Palin's inability to answer questions in no way reflects on Obama, who is quite able to answer questions. I haven't seen any "deer in headlights" reactions from him, nor do I expect to. It's just not going to happen.

You dont know that Palin hasnt formed her own opinions about international affairs for years either. You dont know how little Obama knows and how much Palin does. Obama probablt needs a lot of teaching himself. Palin is able to answer every question and doesnt do a song and dance around one like Obama does. He is really good at rhethoric and making it look like he knows what he is saying. But he really isnt saying anything, just a lot of nothing.

You dont know that Palin hasnt formed her own opinions about international affairs for years either. You dont know how little Obama knows and how much Palin does. Obama probablt needs a lot of teaching himself. Palin is able to answer every question and doesnt do a song and dance around one like Obama does. He is really good at rhethoric and making it look like he knows what he is saying. But he really isnt saying anything, just a lot of nothing.

Palin is able to answer every question... by not getting a clue at first on what some of them are about.

Jimmy Carter has spent a large part of his life studying foreign affairs and he's wrong on just about everything. Incidentally, Carter like almost every presidential candidate was criticized for lacking foreign policy experience when he first ran.

In modern times, Americans prefer to elect governors as president which implies that they prefer politicians with domestic experience and concern for domestic issues. I happen to think this is a good way to choose their presidents.

----

Palin is attracting alot of attention now but let's be honest. She's only the candidate for VP.

Moreover, this turn of events was more or less inevitable. Obama is too left wing and too radical for America. Obama's not mainstream. Once the general American public turned its attention to the election, as they are starting to do now, Obama had little chance of succeeding. The media is focussing on Palin but the change in the campaign is in fact more fundamental.

In today's America, it is very hard for a Democrat to win the White House. EVerything has to be right. Obama is a George McGovern desperately trying to become a Michael Dukakis but he still will likely lose - despite having virtually all the conditions for teh defeat of the incumbent party.

And I'm sure others think Obama would be better for their countries. As I said, their reasons are the same as yours.

What difference does it make whether you express your choice in a poll or not? How is it your business to say here that you want McCain to win but not their business to say it in a poll?

I'm not saying that I want to McCain to win. I said that in those areas of interest to me I think McCain would be better for Canada.

If that is splitting hairs, fine. I work in the field of politics and maneuvering your way around Ottawa where one party is in power but it's another whose votes count I find that I have been splitting a lot of hairs over the last 2-1/2 years.

If the American people choose Obama so be it. It's their country, their choice.

Edited by maldon_road

Guest American Woman
I'm not saying that I want to McCain to win. I said that in those areas of interest to me I think McCain would be better for Canada.

So this....

If Sen McCain doesn't (god forbid) make it to the White House I would invite him to Canada to head up the Liberal Party, an organization in desperate need of a leader.

...isn't saying you want McCain to win? 'If "god forbid" he doesn't make it to the White House' isn't saying you want him to win?

<_<

Sorry, but it's plain as day that you are saying that you want McCain to win. You are no different from the other "non-Americans" who are expressing their view as to who they want to win the election, only difference being most of them want Obama to win.

The debates will tell a lot more. She'll have a real contest both from Biden and MSM.

So this....

...isn't saying you want McCain to win? 'If "god forbid" he doesn't make it to the White House' isn't saying you want him to win?

You didn't see it of course but my tongue was very firmly in my cheek. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but it's plain as day that you are saying that you want McCain to win. You are no different from the other "non-Americans" who are expressing their view as to who they want to win the election, only difference being most of them want Obama to win.

I've never really given any thought as to who I would prefer to win since for me it's hypothetical. I look at it more in the context of what would be in the interests of Canada and in terms of who would get along better with the Canadian government. On October 16th Canadians are going to re-elect Stephen Harper as Prime Minister. For which I am hugely happy. I think he can work with either Obama or McCain. Perhaps better with McCain. I can see some sparks with Obama if he (Obama) were to pursue a protectionist agenda.

Guest American Woman
On October 16th Canadians are going to re-elect Stephen Harper as Prime Minister. For which I am hugely happy. I think he can work with either Obama or McCain. Perhaps better with McCain. I can see some sparks with Obama if he (Obama) were to pursue a protectionist agenda.

If you go to vote on the 16th, you're going to miss the election. I believe it's October 14.

The debates will tell a lot more. She'll have a real contest both from Biden and MSM.

I don't think Palin did that badly in the interview - especially given that she was not exactly comfortable with the subject matter. I have listened to many politicians less coherent.

I have no doubt that Biden could drive her into the ground if he wanted to but perhaps at the same time generate even more sympathy for her.

The VP debate is the same night as the sole English language Canadian leaders debate. I am going to watch the Joe and Sarah show since Canadian debates are too chaotic and I already know whom I am voting for.

Guest American Woman
I don't think Palin did that badly in the interview - especially given that she was not exactly comfortable with the subject matter. I have listened to many politicians less coherent.
Lowering the standards to the bottom of the barrel in order to make her appear 'not so bad' says about all that needs to be said.
I have no doubt that Biden could drive her into the ground if he wanted to but perhaps at the same time generate even more sympathy for her.

Omg. Here it is again. The 'we have to go easy on her' attitude. I have no doubt Biden will not hesitate to say what needs to be said out of any 'fear' that the Right is trying to instill in him/Obama/their supporters. I think the attempt to keep people at bay where she's concerned has failed miserably for the McCain/Palin camp.

I don't think I've ever seen anything more pathetic than the attempt to 'protect' a VP candidate. That so many people feel the need to make people feel as if they should do that, that she's so unprepared that people feel "sympathy" for how unable she is to address the issues, is beyond remarkable; it's totally bizarre.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman
Thank you. I'd hate to miss it. However, I live in a stinkingly Liberal riding with little likelihood of change on election day.

"Stinkingly Liberal?" :huh:

I know your polls are showing a conservative win right now, but I'm not so sure that's going to happen as polls have been wrong in the past. I'm sure Harper will be re-elected, but he may not get the majority government he's hoping for-- and that was the reason for calling the election, wasn't it?

As for my opinion on your election, I have no hesitation giving my views because it's "none of my business." ;) I hope Harper doesn't get his majority government. So far it seems as if he's been pretty centrist in his actions, and I wouldn't want to see that change because he had a majority government behind him.