Interviews with Palin

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

This is a great commentary on Palin's interviews with Gibson. Don't know who this commentator is, but he sure isn't afraid to say it like it is. I was concerned that people would be afraid to dig into her, but he makes it clear right from the beginning-- by bringing up that very issue -- that he won't be walking on tip toes to please the McCain/Palin campaign and/or supporters.

Sure wish I could find a transcript for it to post excerpts here, but since I can't, the clip will have to suffice. Watching is sometimes more effective than just words anyway, especially since it shows several clips of Palin.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great commentary on Palin's interviews with Gibson. Don't know who this commentator is, but he sure isn't afraid to say it like it is. I was concerned that people would be afraid to dig into her, but he makes it clear right from the beginning-- by bringing up that very issue -- that he won't be walking on tip toes to please the McCain/Palin campaign and/or supporters.

Sure wish I could find a transcript for it to post excerpts here, but since I can't, the clip will have to suffice. Watching is sometimes more effective than just words anyway, especially since it shows several clips of Palin.

Got to admit. Love the part when she praises herself for not having used lobbyist. Looks like she forgot the fact that as mayor she hired a lobbyist whose efforts netted her town once of the highest federal founding-to-population in the USA.

Now, I admit, this one has nothing to do with her political abilities or her capacity to do the jobb she is seeking, plus it was before she even became mayor, but I am looking forward to see how those who blasted her opponent as dissing Alaska will react to this one.

From the Anchorage Daily News

"Sarah Palin, a commercial fisherman from Wasilla, told her husband on Tuesday she was driving to Anchorage to shop at Costco. Instead, she headed straight for Ivana. And there, at J.C. Penney's cosmetic department, was Ivana, the former Mrs. Donald Trump, sitting at a table next to a photograph of herself. She wore a light-colored pantsuit and pink fingernail polish. Her blonde hair was coiffed in a bouffant French twist. 'We want to see Ivana,' said Palin, who admittedly smells like salmon for a large part of the summer, 'because we are so desperate in Alaska for any semblance of glamour and culture.'" [Anchorage Daily News (Alaska), 4/3/96]

The bad bad leftist press that sought to embarass her in anticipation of her VP campaign 10 years later.

Guest American Woman

Damn that press! :P

I think McCain/the Republicans were really hoping that they'd be able to intimidate people into treading carefully when dealing with Palin, but I can see that's not going to happen. Love the observation that "any analogy that doesn't compare her to Madam Curie will be exploited by the McCain campaign as sexist..." So true. I think, with the election so near, McCain et al was hoping time was on their side if they could just keep the criticism at bay.

I can't wait for the Biden-Palin debates. Bet they're sweating about that at the McCain Headquarters.

Damn that press! :P

I think McCain/the Republicans were really hoping that they'd be able to intimidate people into treading carefully when dealing with Palin, but I can see that's not going to happen. Love the observation that "any analogy that doesn't compare her to Madam Curie will be exploited by the McCain campaign as sexist..." So true. I think, with the election so near, McCain et al was hoping time was on their side if they could just keep the criticism at bay.

I can't wait for the Biden-Palin debates. Bet they're sweating about that at the McCain Headquarters.

The Madame Curie thing is priceless.

I don't think this election is going to rise or fall on Gov Palin's pronunciation of "nuclear" or whether she thinks dinosaurs wandered the earth 4000 years ago. Got to give her kudos though on pronouncing Amadinejhad.

The Demos are not going to win this election by Sarah-bashing.

...Her newly minted foreign policy is more belligerent than that of the Bush administration.

None of that might matter. Back in 1980, a pollster discovered that most Americans disagreed with Ronald Reagan's stand on major issues, but they planned to vote for him anyway, because they liked him and identified with his core values.

And in a way, Ms. Palin's appeal is even greater than was Reagan's. She doesn't just identify with the average voter, she is the average voter.

As for her lack of experience, those average voters are not going to hold it against her. After all, people from her walk of life usually only get into the citadels of power on bus tours.

The challenge for Mr. Obama is to break this spell. He must remind voters that Mr. McCain is the presidential candidate, not Ms. Palin. And he must keep hammering home his claim that Mr. McCain embraces, almost in its entirety, the governing legacy of President George W. Bush....

If the Democrats can reorient the election back to the question of which party and candidates speak for the values and needs of ordinary voters, then Mr. Obama may yet come out on top.

But to do it, he must get those working independents to get over Sarah Palin.

Palin

I don't think this election is going to rise or fall on Gov Palin's pronunciation of "nuclear" or whether she thinks dinosaurs wandered the earth 4000 years ago. Got to give her kudos though on pronouncing Amadinejhad.

Nope...but they sure are going to lose it by Sarah-bashing.

Guest American Woman
The Madame Curie thing is priceless.

That it is.

"I can see right into the headquarters of Chase Bank, so I guess on the Sarah Palin scale that makes me Alan Greenspan" was pretty funny too. I can't believe Palin thinks "being able to see Russia from an island in Alaska" equals having insight into Russian actions in the last couple of weeks. If the McCain campaign isn't cringing, they should be.

Mispronounciating words, saying that there are 57 states or saying that Ivana Trump represents culture, doesn't win or lose an election. But a candidate's view on when or how the Universe was created matters more than you think. Over 60 percent of Americans believe the Genesis story to be litterally true, and the issue of the place of creationism in the school curriculum is a politically charged one.

Guest American Woman
I don't think this election is going to rise or fall on Gov Palin's pronunciation of "nuclear" ...

How did I know that was going to be the one and only thing that the McCain/Palin supporters were going to pick up and comment on? I must have ESP, because it can't be that y'all are that predictable.

Got to give her kudos though on pronouncing Amadinejhad.

She got something right, so we best give her "kudos" for it, eh? :P

You're right. We're going to win it by not being afraid to criticize her (sorry about that ;)) and by being the better ticket.

That it is.

"I can see right into the headquarters of Chase Bank, so I guess on the Sarah Palin scale that makes me Alan Greenspan" was pretty funny too. I can't believe Palin thinks "being able to see Russia from an island in Alaska" equals having insight into Russian actions in the last couple of weeks. If the McCain campaign isn't cringing, they should be.

I don't think she believes it either, but she should have been able to come with something better.

Guest American Woman
Mispronounciating words, saying that there are 57 states or saying that Ivana Trump represents culture, doesn't win or lose an election. But a candidate's view on when or how the Universe was created matters more than you think. Over 60 percent of Americans believe the Genesis story to be litterally true, and the issue of the place of creationism in the school curriculum is a politically charged one.

Just for clarification purposes, Obama didn't say that there are fifty seven states. Have you seen the clip? He's talking about how many states they've been to so far, he's clearly fatiqued, and he pauses before saying they've been to fifty seven states-- and what he meant to say was forty seven states. After he says 'did I say 57?' when it was pointed out, because he didn't even realize he had said it wrong.

As for the nuclear pronunciation, it was in no way suggested that it would win or lose the election for Palin. Obviously, after 8 years of listening to Bush mispronounce it, it was just a pet peeve of the commentator's ... "Is it too much to ask ..... "

How did I know that was going to be the one and only thing that the McCain/Palin supporters were going to pick up and comment on? I must have ESP, because it can't be that y'all are that predictable.

She got something right, so we best give her "kudos" for it, eh? :P

You're right. We're going to win it by not being afraid to criticize her (sorry about that ;)) and by being the better ticket.

Yes, that's right.

Obama has been a dog since the primaries. The appeal to the Democrats that he engineered into a victory over Clinton doesn't seem to resonate with the public as a whole. McCain realized that Obama was selling personality and an MLK speaking voice so what the election needed was a face newer than Obama's . Which he has produced.

But the issue is: can it last until November 4th? There is no doubt Palin is entertaining. But will the public get tired of someone who really has a limited grasp of the issues?

But will it matter? The election is about the two at the top of the ticket, not the bottom.

Just for clarification purposes, Obama didn't say that there are fifty seven states. Have you seen the clip? He's talking about how many states they've been to so far, he's clearly fatiqued, and he pauses before saying they've been to fifty seven states-- and what he meant to say was forty seven states. After he says 'did I say 57?' when it was pointed out, because he didn't even realize he had said it wrong.

As for the nuclear pronunciation, it was in no way suggested that it would win or lose the election for Palin. Obviously, after 8 years of listening to Bush mispronounce it, it was just a pet peeve of the commentator's ... "Is it too much to ask ..... "

My point exactly.

But will it matter? The election is about the two at the top of the ticket, not the bottom.

But that's the "beauty" of Gov. Palin. The Democrats are going to punch themselves out playing rope-a-dope at the bottom of the ticket. VP's don't win or lose elections unless you let them.

Guest American Woman
But the issue is: can it last until November 4th? There is no doubt Palin is entertaining. But will the public get tired of someone who really has a limited grasp of the issues?

Nice to see someone admit to her limited grasp of the issues, and I think the public will tire of her, at least politically, once it's been 'out there.'

It matters because some polls show McCain's age as a bigger concern among voters than Obama's experience or lack thereof. Palin could very well become POTUS, and people are going to be factoring that into their decision come election day.

This is a great commentary on Palin's interviews with Gibson. Don't know who this commentator is, but he sure isn't afraid to say it like it is.

The commentator is Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, and he is easily one of my favorite members of the American MSM. He is one of the few journalists on any U.S. television network to aggresively & accurately criticize Bush and his administration during the last 8 years.

I recommend you go on youtube.com and search "Keith Olbermann special comment". You will not be disappointed. This is one of my favorites.

And well they should be after her Charlie interview. She said "Charlie" to begin every sentence and to end every sentence. Suddenly, he's her new best friend. Did she think that he would go easy on her if she ingratiated herself to him by using car salesman tactics? Most irritating!

The commentator is Keith Olbermann of MSNBC,

Usually, I can only take Olbermann in small doses (I listen to the opening segments of the Countdown audio podcast), but since the right has so many agitprop talking heads like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Savage, Ingram, Coulter etc. etc., the left needs their own partisan to do more than meekly disagreeing like Alan Colmes -- they need someone to really rain down fire and brimstone on Republicans that have created a disaster of biblical proportions -- and Olbermann is just right for the job.

And well they should be after her Charlie interview. She said "Charlie" to begin every sentence and to end every sentence. Suddenly, he's her new best friend. Did she think that he would go easy on her if she ingratiated herself to him by using car salesman tactics? Most irritating!

I heard a clip on one of the cable news shows where an expert on debate tactics said she would have been coached to do this before hand to establish a personal rapport and to interrupt the interviewer without appearing rude and offensive.

Nice to see someone admit to her limited grasp of the issues, and I think the public will tire of her, at least politically, once it's been 'out there.'

I've already asked this question, but I got to keep repeating it: after eight years of Bush, do Americans really want a female version?

It matters because some polls show McCain's age as a bigger concern among voters than Obama's experience or lack thereof. Palin could very well become POTUS, and people are going to be factoring that into their decision come election day.

One of the points McCain kept stressing was 'don't worry about my age, I'm going to nominate a vice presidential candidate who's qualified to serve as president. I'm thinking that there's no question that he broke that promise!

I've already asked this question, but I got to keep repeating it: after eight years of Bush, do Americans really want a female version?

Many Americans want many different things....but they all want to decide for themselves.

One of the points McCain kept stressing was 'don't worry about my age, I'm going to nominate a vice presidential candidate who's qualified to serve as president. I'm thinking that there's no question that he broke that promise!

He's thinking he didn't...guess which one holds more weight?

I heard a clip on one of the cable news shows where an expert on debate tactics said she would have been coached to do this before hand to establish a personal rapport and to interrupt the interviewer without appearing rude and offensive.

I find the practice mildly irritating, but all politicians do it.

Edited by CANADIEN

Part of the magic of Palin is she's real people, not some overly polished insider. That's why the public has taken to her so well, she's obviously one of them. US magazine has had major headaches over their recent attack cover of her and has lost many subscriptions. MSNBC recently shuffled their two Bush attack dogs to lesser positions for their ridiculous (Olberman and Matthews, I think) commentary and the resulting concerns of shifting the whole network to the hard left. These two items are the public flexing it's muscles. The only thing they seem to be getting tired of is the media trying to manipulate a win for the left.

Every time the left criticizes Palin for lack of experience they expose Obama's lack. As governor, Bill Clinton ran a state budget of 2 billion. Palin's been running one of 18 billion. Obama? a junior senator who's written two books about himself.

As for McCain's age, his mother is approaching 100. He is in fine shape for his age. My own dad is 74 and his mother is 99. Some people are pre-disposed to living longer.

Many Americans want many different things....but they all want to decide for themselves.

Dead on. These polls that show that 80% of the (non-American) world want Obama as president surely must piss off Americans.

If I see a poll in the next six weeks telling me that the majority of people in Uzbekistan want Jack Layton as Canadian PM I would have to wonder why a bunch of foreigners want to give their views on something that is not their business. :ph34r:

Edited by maldon_road