Venezuela boots Yanqui Ambassador

HisSelf

Those of you who are familiar with the way the American government does business will know that from time to time, the US will engineer a coup or two.

They did it in Iran to boot democratically elected Mossadeq who wanted to nationalize the oil industry. The Shah of Iran was a wunnerful guy, wasn't he? Robert Fisk (The Great War for Civilisation) reports how the Shah's Savak agents had meat slicers in the basements of their homes to shave off the arms of dissidents little by little. One wonders if these morsels might have been served to American diplomats in finger sandwiches...

They did it in Chile, where people were disappeared by being tied up in sacks and taken out over the lovely blue sea to be dropped to their deaths.

And when Hugo Chavez thought they were doing it in Venzuela, he kicked the ambassador out. If you were Hugo Chavez, what might you have done?

The OP could easily be Fisked...

Oh poor poor Morales......his regime is increasinly coming under fire from within and he simply takes a page from the south american book of politics, find a scapegoat. As fzr as Chavez goes, he is smarting caise the US has frozen the assets of 2 top Chavez flunkies for alledgedly aiding the Narco terrorists next door.

Hmm. Do we have another CNN fan here? Damn that Chavez. Democratically elected. We love democracy, right? Oh wait! D'Oh!

That's only witty if you believe that Chavez was indeed democratically elected. Personally, I would be doubtful of that claim.

However, if you have faith then that's your right. I'll reserve my opinion, thank you. I don't find Chavez to be an inspiration of moral virtue.

Even if he is, that hardly validates your argument. Just because a country has a democratic government doesn't mean we can't find ourselves to be rivals or worse over some issue or other. A government is expected to look after its own citizens' interests first, not those of other countries that they might happen to admire.

That's only witty if you believe that Chavez was indeed democratically elected. Personally, I would be doubtful of that claim.

George Bush was declared President by a court in the US.

However, if you have faith then that's your right. I'll reserve my opinion, thank you. I don't find Chavez to be an inspiration of moral virtue.

As of most leaders.

Even if he is, that hardly validates your argument. Just because a country has a democratic government doesn't mean we can't find ourselves to be rivals or worse over some issue or other.

So you'd be looking for an argument for argument's sake??

Hmm. Do we have another CNN fan here? Damn that Chavez. Democratically elected. We love democracy, right? Oh wait! D'Oh!

Chavez is an idiot. That he was elected by a bunch of backwards rubes in a third world craphole does nothing to change that.

This is a time when Venezuela could be using its oil wealth to do a lot for its citizens, and he's wasting tons of it on political nonsense and at the same time picking pointless fights with the Americans which can only cause his country trouble.

Chavez is an idiot. That he was elected by a bunch of backwards rubes in a third world craphole does nothing to change that.

This is a time when Venezuela could be using its oil wealth to do a lot for its citizens, and he's wasting tons of it on political nonsense and at the same time picking pointless fights with the Americans which can only cause his country trouble.

Nothing like idiots from a first world utopia voting for an idot.

Argus, you are an elitist. You are just the kind of guy George Bush would love. Democracy is only verified when the mighty US of A says it is so. And so goes Mossadeq. And so goes Allende. And so it goes....

The almighty US of A will tell us all when we are being democratic. It's a franchise. Sort of like Kentucky Fried Chicken.

LOL. Double LOL.

Argus, you are an elitist. You are just the kind of guy George Bush would love. Democracy is only verified when the mighty US of A says it is so. And so goes Mossadeq. And so goes Allende. And so it goes....

The almighty US of A will tell us all when we are being democratic. It's a franchise. Sort of like Kentucky Fried Chicken.

LOL. Double LOL.

All other democratically elected leaders are voted in by pure psychic force!

LOL

Only in the USofA is there any "real" democracy. Riiight. And who decides the election? An "Electoral College". So a few citizens decide who gets in. Usians -- your vote does not count.

Saw a movie the other night -- a Usian in Europe gets arrested and yells "You can't do this! I AM an AMERICAN CITIZEN!" As if being Usian trumps the laws of all other countries.

Stupid, dillusional, egotistical Usians. :rolleyes:

Edited by Drea

Mossadeq was pro-Communist. In a 1950s world, that was a no-no...especially when you wanted to take over oil wells that really didn't belong to you. You lefties might recall that the Shah was around well before 1953, as well. He was actually put into 'power' (the monarchy) by the Soviets with some UK help in 1941. This was to replace his pro-Nazi papa who during the Summer of '41 saw Russia as a doomed nation and was keen on joining what he thought was the winning side.

Also, no coup in Iran could happen without the assistance of actual Iranians. Like this fellow. But, he's no hero to the left like the glorious shining beacon of light, Mossadeq (La Marseillaise starts playing).

:lol::lol:

-----------------------------

Long live Chairman Mao! Long live Chairman Mao!

Mossadeq was pro-Communist. In a 1950s world, that was a no-no...especially when you wanted to take over oil wells that really didn't belong to you. You lefties might recall that the Shah was around well before 1953, as well. He was actually put into 'power' (the monarchy) by the Soviets with some UK help in 1941. This was to replace his pro-Nazi papa who during the Summer of '41 saw Russia as a doomed nation and was keen on joining what he thought was the winning side.

Also, no coup in Iran could happen without the assistance of actual Iranians. Like this fellow. But, he's no hero to the left like the glorious shining beacon of light, Mossadeq (La Marseillaise starts playing).

:lol::lol:

-----------------------------

Long live Chairman Mao! Long live Chairman Mao!

Gee. Was he? Holy cow. And the democracy part? How did this guy get elected anyways? No coup could happen without the assistance of the Iranians? Well of course. There always has to be a patsy. But you know, we keep coming back to that democracy part. Who voted for this guy anyhow? Damn. That's the tough part, right?Y You have democracy and people vote. But then you have Kentucky Fried Chicken that can only be cooked a certain way.

How did you manage to leave the Brits out? The British American Petroleum company. Ever heard of them? LOL.

You need to read Fisk. And you need to look at the history of Cuba. There are American movies that will tell you about Cuba. The Godfather, but even better, look for Robert McNamara's interviews on the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Kentucky Fried Chicken democracy. Finger licki good.

All other democratically elected leaders are voted in by pure psychic force!

LOL

Only in the USofA is there any "real" democracy. Riiight. And who decides the election? An "Electoral College". So a few citizens decide who gets in. Usians -- your vote does not count.

Saw a movie the other night -- a Usian in Europe gets arrested and yells "You can't do this! I AM an AMERICAN CITIZEN!" As if being Usian trumps the laws of all other countries.

Stupid, dillusional, egotistical Usians. :rolleyes:

I saw a french film involcing a bank hiest.. the American tourist pipes up .. YOU CANNOT DO THAT I AM AN AMERICAN .. one of the captors opened up the gun on him .... I had a good laugh.

Gee. Was he? Holy cow. And the democracy part? How did this guy get elected anyways? No coup could happen without the assistance of the Iranians? Well of course. There always has to be a patsy. But you know, we keep coming back to that democracy part. Who voted for this guy anyhow? Damn. That's the tough part, right?Y You have democracy and people vote. But then you have Kentucky Fried Chicken that can only be cooked a certain way.

How did you manage to leave the Brits out? The British American Petroleum company. Ever heard of them? LOL.

You need to read Fisk. And you need to look at the history of Cuba. There are American movies that will tell you about Cuba. The Godfather, but even better, look for Robert McNamara's interviews on the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Kentucky Fried Chicken democracy. Finger licki good.

Did I leave the Brits out? I provided a link to the Anglo-Soviet Invasion of Iran.

As for Zahedi being a patsy: Coups in Iran were not an uncommon thing. Even without the evil Americans, Russians and British. I'm sure if you were a share-holder in BP, your definition of 'patsy' might be somewhat different circa 1953. :lol: I doubt anyone cared that Mosaddeq was 'elected.' His support came mainly from the cities in the form of Communists and Islamists (though Mosaddeq was secular)...the same folks the Shah used to torture. :P

Ultimately, they should have just let Iran become an Axis nation back in '41. No sense sticking our noses where they don't belong...eh? I'm sure the Russians would have been fine...lol. They had everything under control.

Fisk...though an intelligent and respected reporter...wasn't around back then. His noted anti-American stance also colours his POV. But, I'm sure he spoke to your heart.

As for Cuba, I know enough to recognize that Batista wasn't quite the brutal dictator he was made out to be...at least compared to ol' Che' & Castro. Say what you will, the Mob brought tons of money into the place. Meyer Lansky in particular. Gotta love Meyer. He used to use the Mob to break up pro-Nazi rallies in NYC when he worked for the Office of Naval Intelligence. It's a funny ol' World.

--------------------------------------------------

The world is changing and there are new opportunities for those who are ready to join forces with those who are stronger and more experienced.

---Salvatore "Charlie Lucky" Lucanio

Edited by DogOnPorch