Let the Woman Speak!

I agree with Joe Clark writing in the Globe and Mail "Let Elizabeth May speak" and Chantal Hebert writing in the Star "Networks have lost their journalistic backbone".

Harper and Layton are making common cause to keep Elizabeth May out of the leaders' debate. Harper's actions are particularly despicable because before he became Prime Minister he claimed to be a champion of democratic freedoms and freedom speech. But, no more. He's afraid of Elizabeth May. How pathetic. Layton is no better; he's no champion of the grassroots as he claims. As for Dion, he supported May's inclusion in the debate, but said he wouldn't participate if Harper wouldn't be in the debate. What a wimp! Dion, who runs your life you or Harper?

Let the woman speak!

:angry:

Edited by Stephen Best

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the polls, Canadians want May to participate in the debate.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/31712...levised_debates

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? - The Green Party should be allowed to participate in the televised electoral debates.

Agree

66%

Disagree

25%

Not sure

9%

Do you think Harper's image with women has improved?

It's not relevant. The Greens, NDP and the Liberals are all making GHGs a huge issue. That vote will split. May is brighter than Layton and speaks English a lot better than Dion. She will look attractive (politically, I mean) to the environmental set. The big loser could be the NDP.

It's not relevant. The Greens, NDP and the Liberals are all making GHGs a huge issue. That vote will split. May is brighter than Layton and speaks English a lot better than Dion. She will look attractive (politically, I mean) to the environmental set. The big loser could be the NDP.

And yet Harper doesn't want her there. Why? Is it because there is a new movement afoot amongst social conservativeness towards the environment? We have seen that in the U.S. and McCain has had to address it with a green plan or risk losing the people who belong to churches asking: "What would Jesus drive?"

Of all the parties with money to spend, the only one not buying carbon offsets for their travel are the Conservatives. They don't believe in global warming. Never have, never will. The PCs had one of the finest records on the environment of any party since Confederation. Those days are long gone.

May would only emphasize the failure of Harper in this area and win votes from environmentally friendly conservatives. Or is the argument that environment friendly conservatives don't exist?

According to the polls it has.

Do you think women identify with May simply because she is a woman? If so you have a low opinion of women.

The Liberals, who typically need a lead among female voters to win, are trailing the Tories among women in the B.C. and Quebec battlegrounds, and are essentially tied among women in the Ontario battleground.

“It used to be almost mirror image, where the men would disproportionately go for Conservatives. Now [the Conservatives] have still got their advantage with men and they've evened the score with women,” Mr. Donolo said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/politics/home

The last thing we need is every fringe party involved. If the Green are allowed, then so should the Christian Heritage Party. Remember what a joke the 1993 debate was? Too many people!!!

Hopefully, at the very least, we will end up with an actual codified list of rules for participation.

I'd like to see it be official party status (12 seats), PLUS a minimum number of candidates running in a minimum number of provinces. No sure what those candidate numbers would be, but it should at least be mathematically possible for you to form the government. If it's not possible, then you are not running for PM, and you don't belong.

Yep, she does seem typical of the environmental set! Nothing I've read or heard about her or from her has made me think she has any real scientific background. From her bio she appears to be just another lawyer with a cause.

I would give her more credit if her bio had said something like her parents gave her a chemistry set in the 3rd grade that she played with for hours, or a telescope, or she built a ham radio or even a simple crystal radio set!

SOMETHING to show she has some kind of scientific background, at least on an enthusiastic amateur level!

This has nothing to do with sex. She pulled the sex card to disttract from the real issue which is whether all parties running in an election should be represented on t.v. during debates and if not what criteria should be used.

The problem would exist whether she was a man, woman or half way through a transgender change and she knows it.

I have zero respect for her. To pull the sex card was cheap theatrical bullshit. The issue remains what criteria should be used to determine when a party should be permitted to be part of the debates. One seat in Parliament? Ten? All parties whether they have seats or not....etc.

I really find it insulting to women and people as humans when someone like this pulls the sex card as a cheap stunt to get attention.

For me it simply proves she has no credibility and is hiding behind her sex because she does not have the balls to go head to head with the other parties as to the issue. It was a cowardly cheap smarmy way to conduct herself.

Then again this is the same Green Party that sees nothing wrong in a party that was created to discuss saving the environment having four of its candidates engage in partisan comments about the conflict in Israel-Palestine.

The Green Party is supposed to be neutral to such conflicts and in fact look at all conflicts and wars as having no rights or wrongs and discuss them from the perspective of the environmental damage they do.

Four of her candidates have used the Green Party as a platform to engage in deliberately one sided Middle East partisan politics and the very purpose this party was started to avoid such partisan politics has been abandon. Now her little sexist card manouver and as far as I am concerned the Green Party which I had great sympathy for as a relevant way to try provide debate on the environment has been rendered another fringe party full of people only interested in hearing themselves speak and not interested in the environment.

In theory I believe she should be in on the debates. I believe as long as there is one sitting Member of Parliament, then that party should be allowed in on the debates.

That said the hippocracy of Harper, Layton and Duceppe does not surprise me nor does her playing the sex card. I have always found her smarmy and insincere and simply using the Green Party to further her own ego.

Dion's support of the Green party in the debates was nothing but a cheap trick of his own. He already knew she wasn't going to be participating so he said he would support her just to get positive attention. He had nothing to gain and everything to lose in having her in the debates. Harper had nothing to lose and everything to gain if the Green Party succeeded. He didn't want her in because Elizabeth May has basically shown herself to be almost Liberal herself, going as far as endorsing Liberal candiates. The debate would just be annoying to watch if we had to listen to two identical standpoints.

Let the woman speak! Democracy and voting isn't about barring people from speaking to voters. Or is it? Regardless of what you think of May, her motives, or her policies, should she be allowed to participate in the leaders' debates on television. Or should Harper and Layton have the right to keep her out? That's the issue. Most Canadians want to hear what May has to say, and want Harper and Layton to let the woman speak.

So those of you who don't like May and Dion and whoever, the question is should May be allowed into the televised leaders' debates? It's not about her character and policies or what she might say, it's about democracy. Are you for or against democracy?

Let the woman speak! Democracy and voting isn't about barring people from speaking to voters. Or is it? Regardless of what you think of May, her motives, or her policies, should she be allowed to participate in the leaders' debates on television. Or should Harper and Layton have the right to keep her out? That's the issue. Most Canadians want to hear what May has to say, and want Harper and Layton to let the woman speak.

So those of you who don't like May and Dion and whoever, the question is should May be allowed into the televised leaders' debates? It's not about her character and policies or what she might say, it's about democracy. Are you for or against democracy?

Hey, are you endorsing May? :lol:

How do you feel about the christian heritage party, the marijuana party, the rhino party etc. joining the debate then?

Can't you guys answer a very simple question? Should May be allowed into the leaders' television debate now that the Greens have an MP? Most Canadians think she should be in the debate. What about you guys? What's so difficult about giving a straight answer with your reasons? You're worse than the politicians you criticize.

Can't you guys answer a very simple question? Should May be allowed into the leaders' television debate now that the Greens have an MP? Most Canadians think she should be in the debate. What about you guys? What's so difficult about giving a straight answer with your reasons? You're worse than the politicians you criticize.

When they have elected an MP, they will have a valid argument. At the moment it is a win win for them. If they are denied they get in the news, if they get on the debate they feel they have arrived. Personally I think they will be better off sticking to the news. I don't think May is either a seasoned debater or telegenic enough to sway more that 6.5% of the electorate.