Green leader Elizabeth May only became Canadian citizen at age 24

Sorry, I missed your point. I was daydreaming about watching all the flags waved for OTHER countries on my main street, during the China Olympics.

Russian flags were waved on my street :D

BTW, Russia finished 3rd by the number of medals ;)

Can I still run for Pres.... Prime Minister?

How about Governor General? :P

Edited by PoliticalCitizen

How many Canadian flags were waved in Russia?

If we ever get to the point (God forbid) that there would be political and economical migrants from Canada to Russia - we can come back to your question...

As of right now I think the answer is obvious...

But if we come back to the topic - Green Party doesn't even exist (AFAIK) in USA. If May is representing interests of a political body other than Canadian I would guess this should be EU where Greens are strong.

Maybe if you did not judge others so quickly you could see that nothing we have seen from May so far indicates that she is a secret US agent out to sabotage Canada.

Interesting that you would take that meaning from my post. Who said anything about secrecy and sabotage?

I was referring to having Canadian values and feelings. I've found that Americans are very different than us as far as their culture. Sometimes some disparage Canadians for being too polite and obliging. A far greater number seem to believe that Americans are often rude and pushy.

Yet no one seems to accuse May of being a typical American. Curious.

Some things have to be learned in childhood or one may grow up incapable of ever learning. Case in point is thinking by the scientific method. Apparently if a child is never taught such before a certain age they will likely never be able to grasp the concept.

A lifetime of arguing with many different people has led me to believe that this idea at least is true!

The question is irrelevant since she stands 0% chance of becoming the prime minister.

What I find more appalling is that the leader of the current opposition party has dual citizenship! Dion is a disgrace and never should have been voted to top spot of the Liberals.

Agreed! Perhaps it is merely an emotional reaction but I just can't stomach the thought of someone leading the country holding two or more citizenships!

I'm a Canadian and I want someone who's ONLY a Canadian as my Prime Minister! There must be no question, however soft, about where their true loyalties lie.

This is Canada, NOT the United Nations!

I was referring to having Canadian values and feelings.

I think Canadian voters will be able to judge whether or not a potential Prime Minister has values and feelings that they agree with. Your birthplace does not determine your values or your feelings.

Yet no one seems to accuse May of being a typical American. Curious.

Probably because typical Americans live in the United States of America. They do not emigrate to Canada.

Some things have to be learned in childhood or one may grow up incapable of ever learning. Case in point is thinking by the scientific method. Apparently if a child is never taught such before a certain age they will likely never be able to grasp the concept.

People used to say the same thing about learning languages. Until they were proven 100% wrong. Children learn things faster than adults, but this does not mean adults are incapable of learning.

What if she were born in Italy and became PM, and then Mussolini Jr was born & for whatever reason World War III started & Canada went to war with Italy? Do you not see a possible conflict of interest there?

I love the what if game!

What if she were born in Antarctica and then we found out that there is a whole nation of Antarcticans who hate Canada and then Canada went to war with Antarctica?

What if people on this forum were able to argue a point without making up ridiculous scenarios and then claiming that this proves their point?

I love the what if game!

What if she were born in Antarctica and then we found out that there is a whole nation of Antarcticans who hate Canada and then Canada went to war with Antarctica?

What if people on this forum were able to argue a point without making up ridiculous scenarios and then claiming that this proves their point?

We've been there and got the tshirt!

Canadians of Serbian descent fought in the Kosovo war in the early 90's, often fighting against Canadians. Many of them are back in Canada now, with no repercussions.

Draw your own conclusions.

Lets hope it is. I was on her side until I learned of this today.

The disputed comments were made on Steve Paiken's The Agenda. Here is the link to a complete overview of the matter from TVO.

To some listeners, May's comment is made a bit more ambiguous by another comment she makes right afterward: "... and I fundamentally agree with that assessment...".

It is unclear if she is agreeing with the assessment that Canadians are stupid, or with the assessment of the questioner from the audience, who says there is no political will for a carbon tax. To be fair to May, she clearly does agree with the latter assessment. The question is whether or not she also agrees with the former.

http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/i...mp;post_id=8113

Sometimes May speaks so quickly it's hard to follow what she says. This could get her into trouble in the debates.

That's a quote taken out of context.

Here's the whole interview:

http://www.tvo.org/podcasts/theagenda/audi...yeGDP022207.mp3

She makes the statement at just past the 38 minute mark.

How is that out of context? She clearly directly answers the question of why there is so little political will for a carbon tax. She very clearly says it's because politicians think Canadians are stupid, and she fundamentally agrees with that assessment. There is no way to spin it as saying anything else.

I'm not saying she's wrong even, most people ARE stupid, in any country. But if I was the leader of a political party I sure as heck would not SAY it on TV.

Agreed! Perhaps it is merely an emotional reaction but I just can't stomach the thought of someone leading the country holding two or more citizenships!

I'm a Canadian and I want someone who's ONLY a Canadian as my Prime Minister! There must be no question, however soft, about where their true loyalties lie.

This is Canada, NOT the United Nations!

We totally agree. I'm sick of everyone being brainwashed by this "multi-culturalism" crap. I have no porblem whatsoever with immigrants practicing their other cultures & customs, but when they do so without being encouraged to intergrate into Canadian culture it is upsetting. How long until Canada is so "multi-cultural" that we barely have a culture left of our own? Until Canada's culture is defined as having no culture but as a mix of everybody else's?

I don't agree with dual-citizenship. Choose your country. If you want to be a ciziten of another country, then give up the citizenship of your former country. Its like getting your cake & eating it too.

Yay i'm Canadian.......but if i want i can move back to [insert country here] on a whim then yipee no problems!

But that is another subject for another topic for another day.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

We've been there and got the tshirt!

Canadians of Serbian descent fought in the Kosovo war in the early 90's, often fighting against Canadians. Many of them are back in Canada now, with no repercussions.

Draw your own conclusions.

What a perfect example of how it is not your birth place that matters, but how you act and what you believe. If I was to make the same generalizations that many here are making, then I would conclude that people born in Canada are not fit to serve as Prime Minister.

When you find something that is actually applicable to Elizabeth May let us all know. Until then this is irrelevant. There are many, many more examples of foreign born Canadians contributing and helping their country, but why judge May by those standards when it won't accomplish your goal of excluding people from the political process.

Your example lends no support to the idea that May is unfit to serve as Prime Minister because of her birthplace. All it shows is that some Canadians are unfit to serve as Prime Minister.

We totally agree. I'm sick of everyone being brainwashed by this "multi-culturalism" crap. I have no porblem whatsoever with immigrants practicing their other cultures & customs, but when they do so without being encouraged to intergrate into Canadian culture it is upsetting. How long until Canada is so "multi-cultural" that we barely have a culture left of our own? Until Canada's culture is defined as having no culture but as a mix of everybody else's?

It is upsetting to see immigrants not being encouraged to integrate into Canadian culture. Like when people try to exclude immigrants from the political process for no other reason than their place of birth.