McCain picks woman for VP slot

Despite all the blind partisanship in favour of Palin, the Republicans know deep down that McCain made a terrible, terrible choice. They are consumed with improvising their convention right now, but once it's done, Palin will find that she will have to withdraw from the campaign to be with her family in their time of need.

In fact, I can help with her withdrawal speech:

"My country comes first (despite once belonging to an Alaska Secessionist Party), but my family is a very, very close second. Others can serve as Vice-President of the United States, but only I can be vice-president of the united Palins." :lol:

She doesn't really excite me but I haven't seen too many vacation pics of her yet...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/09/02/br...erage-drinking/

Note the article says the daddy, Levi, doesn't want kids. Hmm...maybe there won't be a shotgun wedding after all.

Who knows? :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to get caught up in this digging up dirt stuff.

And you're doing a good job! :P The thing is, digging is the only way to get information other than what the candidates want to put forward.

That pistol packin' mamma pic would sure would make for an interesting presidential portrait. *

As for the kids getting married, who would push their kids getting married at 17 just because of a pregnancy?

------------------------------------------------

* Edited to add: the pic isn't real. here's the original link It's a photoshop picture.

Edited by American Woman

As for the kids getting married, who would push their kids getting married at 17 just because of a pregnancy?

If I was Bristol I wouldn't marry that guy. If what I read is true, he seems like a total jerk. But then again he's a teenager and they come in all types. Thank goodness some outgrow their jerkiness.

Guest American Woman
If I was Bristol I wouldn't marry that guy. If what I read is true, he seems like a total jerk. But then again he's a teenager and they come in all types. Thank goodness some outgrow their jerkiness.

I don't think I trust much that's being said at this point. They're kids, it's gotta be difficult, I hope things work out for them.

Edited by American Woman

I am a very liberal feminist and let me tell you if I had

1. a baby with downs

AND

2. a pregnant teenage daugher (who is no doubt scared shitless that HER child will also be born handicapped - wouldn't you be scared as a 17 year old in those circumstances?)

I would certainly NOT be taking on a job that would require me to be away from my family when they need me the most.

"I'm a feminist! Shame on Sarah Palin! A mother's place is with her children!" :lol:

That's awesome, Drea! I hope the Democrats use something like that in their ads.

-k

So, is the media now going to start poring through the sermons of Palin's preachers, or would that suddenly be off limits (unlike when Jeremiah Wright was the subject of GOP wet dreams a few months ago)? And just as important, is the GOP going to suddenly express the notion that a person's religion is a private matter?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/p...tml#postComment

"But Pastor Kalnins has also preached that critics of President Bush will be banished to hell; questioned whether people who voted for Sen. John Kerry in 2004 would be accepted to heaven; charged that the 9/11 terrorist attacks and war in Iraq were part of a war "contending for your faith;" and said that Jesus "operated from that position of war mode..."

"During the 2004 election season, he praised President Bush's performance during a debate with Sen. John Kerry, then offered a not-so-subtle message about his personal candidate preferences. "I'm not going tell you who to vote for, but if you vote for this particular person, I question your salvation. I'm sorry." Kalnins added: "If every Christian will vote righteously, it would be a landslide every time."

Months after hinting at possible damnation for Kerry supporters, Kalnins bristled at the treatment President Bush was receiving over the federal government's handling of Hurricane Katrina. "I hate criticisms towards the President," he said, "because it's like criticisms towards the pastor -- it's almost like, it's not going to get you anywhere, you know, except for hell. That's what it'll get you."

Much of his support for the current administration has come in the realm of foreign affairs. Kalnins has preached that the 9/11 attacks and the invasion of Iraq were part of a "world war" over the Christian faith, one in which Jesus Christ had called upon believers to be willing to sacrifice their lives."

This is the church Palin grew up in and of which she was a member at the time such statements were made. Why didn't she stand up in the pews to protest?

Edited by Liam

"I'm a feminist! Shame on Sarah Palin! A mother's place is with her children!" :lol:

That's awesome, Drea! I hope the Democrats use something like that in their ads.

-k

The open question is what will Todd Palin's role be and until we know it's wrong to judge. Will he hang up the fishing nets and become a house husband in Washington? What about the daughter -- will she return to Alaska with her teenage husband or will she be staying in Washington to get her mom's and dad's help? These are all questions the Palins will need to settle themselves.

I'm a single dad -- my kids' mom passed away a couple of years ago -- so I know parenting, especially single parenting requires A LOT of time and work. I've had to curtail my job aspirations because there's just no way I could spend more time at the office or on a plane than I do with my kids. Palin's new job will put mine to shame in terms of stress and commitments. Unless Todd becomes a full-time house husband, I just don't know any mom could manage being the VP and a mom all at once, even with a nanny or an assistant.

Guest American Woman
QUOTE=Liam: Palin was a member of this church at the time. Why didn't she stand up in the pews to protest?

Haha, good point. My guess is that right-wingers will have a double standard when it comes to the views of one's pastor...

I think the reason Obama's pastor was brought under scrutiny is because Obama said he was a role model and gave him a position in his campaign.

I think the reason Obama's pastor was brought under scrutiny is because Obama said he was a role model and gave him a position in his campaign.

I'll find the link, but I believe I read somewhere that Kalnins gave the benediction at Palin's gubernatorial swearing in.

Edit: my error, it was her new church's pastor.

Edited by Liam

Ok, so I'm confused.

The Republicans have just picked what is alleged to be one of the worst VP candidates of all time, a choice that many (both in this thread and on a multitude of blogs) have solemnly attested have all of their Republican friends baffled and stunned. A choice that many have already declared to be the move that cost McCain the election.

Meanwhile, the Democrats are coming off of their convention, with Barack Obama receiving all of these great endorsements, and team unity behind him 100%, and his big speech that is said to have redefined the entire universe (or at least the politics portions of it.)

So with all that great news for the Democrats and terrible news for the Republicans, how is it that the polls that came out yesterday show that Obama's lead over McCain has only widened by a point by what it was prior to the DNC?

-k

I'll find the link, but I believe I read somewhere that Kalnins gave the benediction at Palin's gubernatorial swearing in.

-k

So with all that great news for the Democrats and terrible news for the Republicans, how is it that the polls that came out yesterday show that Obama's lead over McCain has only widened by a point by what it was prior to the DNC?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Obama, a senator from Illinois, has a lead of just under 7 percentage points in an average of five national polls taken since the Democratic National Convention ended and McCain announced Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate, according to figures compiled by the Web site Realclearpolitics.com.

Less than 2 points separated the two candidates before last week's Democratic convention in Denver, which ended Aug. 28.

The polls that came out today shows that he has gained a significant lead.

poll 1

poll 2

poll of polls

To be honest, I thought Palin would help McCain in the polls (especially among women), but perhaps I was wrong.

-k

Kimmy, you're not confused, your just being selective in memory.

In the opening days of the DNC, McCain had pulled ahead for the first time 46-44 (Gallup, I believe). As of today, it's Obama 49, McCain 43, making for an 8 point swing in Obama's favor. Rasmussen, which tends to have polls that favor Republicans (probably all in their methods of sampling) today has Obama at 51% -- I forget McCain's % but think it was around 45 or 46%. The Obama-breaks-50% was all sampling done after the selection of Palin but before much of the past few days' media storm. I'm sure after the RNC the numbers will adjust again.

It seems to me that given Palin's family situation, notwithstanding her husband seems very supportive, if she takes the VP job, either her work as the Vice President will suffer or her children will suffer. It seems to me she's demonstrated that her political ambitions are more important to her than either the well-being of her family or the country.

And that calls into question, John McCain's judgment and capacity to make a good decision.

Would the same thing be said about a male candidate?

Executive experience.

Yes, if that's all it was based on.

You say that as if it was the only accomplishment during that period of time, which of course, it isn't.

Doesn't matter. Executive experience is executive experience. Like managing a small or medium size business.

Managing a small business is far different from running the biggest business in the US that is the US. Large corporations don't like to aquire VPs that are green, why should the US VP spot be treated any different? You'd want the most qualified person or the second most in the VP seat. From what it seems, Palin is still wet behind the ears. Obama is fresh, but has been in politics for twice as long (at least) as Palin.

No, you want someone who has some years in them. Someone who has at least made mistakes and learned from them.

Again, managing something equivalent to a small or medium size business should not be discounted. Especially when compared to a "community organizer" and teacher.

Couple hundred thousand to over 350 million.... .. can be overwhelming.

And perhaps Russia.

Huh?

Palin is such a horrible pick for McCain. He more than virtually any other candidate in U.S. history needs a VP thats ready to step in & be Pres. on Day 1. Even less experience than Obama. McCain is totally pandering with this pick. I thought Romney would have been a good choice, at least that ticket could run on experience. If only Romney had a vagina.

But at least Palin is kinda hot. That will make the debates more entertaining for me.