McCain picks woman for VP slot

As I say, you may not be voting for McCain, but rather Sarah Palin. If you're not taking that into consideration, given McCain's age and health history, your judgment's as flawed as McCain's.

Could be, but I get a say in the matter....you don't.

And, perhaps you didn't get the memo, but Ted Kennedy is not running for President in the 2008 election so your analogy is specious.

In other words, you have been called on your ridiculous "cancer" and age scare and been found silly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put, he selected a veep that he thinks can help him win the White House.

That's not why the taxpayers pay their salaries. Yes, political expediency is common in selecting running mates. But you're supposed to select someone who can step into the job of president. And as was noted on the news tonight, McCain is just a few short years from reaching the expected life expectancy of the American male.

Palin is inexperienced in comparison to how many others who strive for such high office? I submit the number is very small.

Find me a modern vice presidential nominee who had less experience than she has. Compared to this woman Dan Quayle had tons of experience.

OK....I don't make it a habit of deciding my vote based on age or cancer. If brain cancer is good enough for Ted Kennedy, then it's damn well good enough for me.

Admit it cheney, you don't care how old she is. You don't care whether she has experience or integrity or wisdom or intelligence or judgement. Like many American conservatives, the only requirements you have for your candidates is they be pro gun and anti-abortion.

I'm really saddened that American politics has fallen to his level over the last couple of decades.

Nope. I would have to say that Ken Lay, Bernie Ebbers and Conrad Black wouldn't make good Presidents. Luckily, most business owners aren't crooks.

You forgot to reply to that part asking about McCain's "executive experience". As far as I know he was a navy pilot who got shot down, and then spent the rest of his life in the US congress and senate.

"This woman"? Is that the issue here, with experience being the cover story? Look, anybody who is a natural born citizen of 35 years age can be US president or vice president. She is very light on experience, but her job is to deliver voting demographics come election day.

How much experience did Bill Clinton have in Arkansas (good and bad)?

He practiced law, was state attorney general then spent something like 14 years as governor. Prior to that he was a Rhodes scholar who studied government at Oxford, and got a BS in Foreign Service at George Washington University. He also got a degree in law from Yale - all pretty darned good preparation for a life as a politician.

Come on. You can't seriously compare his experience level to hers. This woman has just 18 months of experience at anything above the level of a small town council. You really want to see her negotiating with Putin?

This lady makes me think of Clarance Thomas. His sole qualifications were that he was black and he had the right political views.

Really? I guess it had nothing to do with graduating from Yale Law School, chairing the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and then serving on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Yeah, other than that, his sole qualifcations were being black and conservative. :rolleyes:

Guest American Woman
Admit it cheney, you don't care how old she is. You don't care whether she has experience or integrity or wisdom or intelligence or judgement. Like many American conservatives, the only requirements you have for your candidates is they be pro gun and anti-abortion.

I'm really saddened that American politics has fallen to his level over the last couple of decades.

You are so right. I was just saying to my mom that too many Americans vote on a single issue-- the main ones being abortion and the right to own any and all guns, and of course these votes are always guaranteed to go to the Republicans, no matter who they are.

I said it before and I'll say it again: I think McCain is losing it, and I think his pick for VP confirms it.

That's not why the taxpayers pay their salaries. Yes, political expediency is common in selecting running mates. But you're supposed to select someone who can step into the job of president. And as was noted on the news tonight, McCain is just a few short years from reaching the expected life expectancy of the American male.

First of all Argus, whichever party the US selects is fine with me and I truly don't see that my life will be affected by the choice one way or another. I see merit in all the nominees. Yet, I'm not prepared to concede that the Republicans selected a presidential candidate who has one foot in the grave. I have more faith in the US electorate than that. Also, the fact that I'm 60+ probably colours my thinking. <_<

Find me a modern vice presidential nominee who had less experience than she has. Compared to this woman Dan Quayle had tons of experience.

I did not refer to present nominees but those Americans who are aspirants to high office. There are probably tens of thousands. Some make it some don't.

As pointed out in many bloggers here and elsewhere, Sarah Palin has pluses and minuses. I really don't know enough about her right now to make a determination unlike others who have jumped the gun and basically parroted the opinion of pundits who were first out of the gate. That was one of my points, that judgment is being passed without any insight into her abilities. But I tell ya, anyone whose nickname is "the barracuda" merits closer scrutiny.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008...t-selection.php

Frankly, I don't buy the "experience" requirement when it comes to the job of the US president. I am saying this is defence of both Palin and Obama so it is not a partisan POV. The job of the US president is to lead the people of the US. When it comes to making important decisions the president is never alone and would be expected to consult with any number of people before coming to a decision. Treaty negotiations are not handled by the leaders - there is an army of negotiators working on the details that no human President coud ever hope to understand.

That said, I have long suspected the republicans have written off this election (recent polls notwithstanding) and it is possible that better VP picks turned McCain down. This particular choice sounds like a hail mary pass to me. I doubt it will success so no one will have to worry about Palin being president.

Nope...I don't even care about that. I don't give a crap about "the issues", or even the political process. I only care about the impact on economics, which is far more important to me. In the end, America will elect another presidential ticket, just as it always has, and they will be Americans.

OMG....cry me a river! Half of Americans don't even give a damn. Why should you in such a close but far away land?

You are so right. I was just saying to my mom that too many Americans vote on a single issue-- the main ones being abortion and the right to own any and all guns, and of course these votes are always guaranteed to go to the Republicans, no matter who they are.

Ass backwards on two counts....I'm not a Republican, and I have no problem with the legalized slaughter of unborn babies so long as one admit that's what it is. We do it for....ding ding.....economics!

I said it before and I'll say it again: I think McCain is losing it, and I think his pick for VP confirms it.

Then beat 'em in November, otherwise you will be losing it...again! :lol:

First of all Argus, whichever party the US selects is fine with me and I truly don't see that my life will be affected by the choice one way or another.
Actually, a lot will depend on whether the democrats actually follow through on their insane global warming rhetoric. If they do the will pass all kinds of economy damaging measures that have zero chance of the reducing GHGs and will then use that as an excuse to threaten trade restrictions against Canada if we don't do the same. The US has already talked about banning imports from the Alberta tar sands - the effect on Canada if a US administration actually followed through would be huge.

I find it incredibly sad that, despite the fact that I would generally support someone like Obama, I am hoping he loses because I do not trust the Democratic party to be rational when it comes to addressing climate change.

Edited by Riverwind

Who cares if she's a woman or not--I hardly think that disgruntled Clinton supporters are going to jump ship just because they have a woman running mate (who happens to be an anti-abortion, pro-gun, moose-meat eating "hockey mom" (when she said that I'm sure half the people watching were wondering what "hockey" means))--she just does not come across as experienced or capable enough for the position of VP, or Pres. if McCain can't finish the term--which is certainly possible all things considered. I think the Republicans are toast.

What's fascinating is that, after all of the blathering about Barach Obama not having enough experience for the job, John McCain picks a girl who is younger than Obama and her experience is running a town of 9,000 people and a year and a half as governor of Alaska. And considering McCain's age and health problems, there is a strong possibility that his V.P. would have to serve out his term as president.

Now that they've taken Obama's age and political experience out of play, the Republicans will have to stick to emphasizing his race and insinuations that he is a secret Muslim, to win the fall election!

I was thinking the opposite. It saddens me that so many Americans base their vote on the anti-life issue.

I find it incredibly sad that, despite the fact that I would generally support someone like Obama, I am hoping he loses because I do not trust the Democratic party to be rational when it comes to addressing climate change.

For single issue voters, it is probably hard to vote for anyone at all when both parties don't agree with their main issue.

What's fascinating is that, after all of the blathering about Barach Obama not having enough experience for the job, John McCain picks a girl who is younger than Obama and her experience is running a town of 9,000 people and a year and a half as governor of Alaska. And considering McCain's age and health problems, there is a strong possibility that his V.P. would have to serve out his term as president.

A "girl"? Well, we sure know where you are coming from. Go Sarah...Go Sarah...Go Sarah!

Now that they've taken Obama's age and political experience out of play, the Republicans will have to stick to emphasizing his race and insinuations that he is a secret Muslim, to win the fall election!

He is not a secret Muslim...we all know about it by now! :lol:

For single issue voters, it is probably hard to vote for anyone at all when both parties don't agree with their main issue.
Well. There are those voters who look at the issues involved in each election, rank them according to priority and then choose a party that will best match the priorities. Then there are those voters who pick a party and mindlessly support the party no matter what the policies are. The thoughtful people in the former group often have a tough time choosing parties because no party is perfect. The people in the latter group don't need to worry about such things because they have let blind faith replace critical thinking. Edited by Riverwind

Well. There are those voters who look at the issues involved in each election, rank them according to priority and then choose a party that will best match the priorities. Then there are those voters who pick a party and mindlessly support the party no matter what the policies are. The thoughtful people in the former group often have a tough time choosing parties because no party is perfect. The people in the latter group don't need to worry about such things because they have let blind faith replace critical thinking.

Which one are you? Does support for the science of global warming from all federal parties in Canada and the United States keep you on the sidelines?

And just as Obama has finished beating up on Hillary, he's presented with another to lower the boom on and I expect with more ferocity.

And just as Obama has finished beating up on Hillary

By losing the last several primaries? In large and important states? Only winning the nomination because of the mainstream media's conspiratorial silence over the John Edwards affair.

Really? I guess it had nothing to do with graduating from Yale Law School, chairing the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and then serving on the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Yeah, other than that, his sole qualifcations were being black and conservative. :rolleyes:

Are you nuts ?

Except for a few years as an Assistant Attorney General for Mississipi, this guy has NOT PRACTICED LAW.

He had 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE as a judge before being appointed to the supreme court.

He was utterly unqualified for that one year . How the heck to do you get appointed to the court of appeals unless you spend some time as a judge ?

This guy spent his life as a Republican political hack, a yes man, and a black man. Those are his only qualifications.

Judge Judy is more qualfied. A traffic court judge is probably more qualified.