McCain picks woman for VP slot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure why Obama is that much better....

If she is less capable than Obama--as your comment entails--why is McCain putting the United States' security and interests at risk by nominating her as his VP? Wouldn't a responsible Presidential nominee name a VP who was as good or better than he was? Why didn't McCain name someone more qualified? Or is there, in your view, no one more qualified in the Republican Party than Sarah Palin to be one heartbeat away from the Presidency?

People enter elections to win. McCain wants to win. Women represent 50.7% of the US population.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004925.html

Simply put, he selected a veep that he thinks can help him win the White House. Palin is inexperienced in comparison to how many others who strive for such high office? I submit the number is very small. To dismiss her outright without knowing her true abilities seems premature.

The match-ups in this election for POTUS could not be more intriguing or interesting. McCain has created his own scenario that could make history, as history would be made if Obama wins. Either way, the US will wow the world.

Simply put, he selected a veep that he thinks can help him win the White House. Palin is inexperienced in comparison to how many others who strive for such high office? I submit the number is very small. To dismiss her outright without knowing her true abilities seems premature.

I just caught a report by Jack Cafferty on CNN's Situation Room. Before the show went on the air, they'd already received over 6,000 e-mails about McCain's pick of Sarah Palin. The comments are overwhelming opposed to McCain's choice. McCain just gave Obama the keys to the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

So far, his pick has good sides and bad sides (for McCain).

Good Side:

- McCain has been accused of representing the same old government as Bush represents. The choice of this woman shows a distinct difference.

- So far, all of the focus has been on the democratic nomination due to history being made. Now both parties are making history "stealing some of Obama's thunder", as it were.

- I highly doubt die hard Hilary supporters will support a ardent pro-lifer, but overall, this VP choice may have more appeal to female voters than a more typical choice.

- No-one has heard of her (no baggage).

Bad Side:

- McCains main point against Obama is lack of experience. He then chooses a VP, that also lacks experience, removing a major talking point.

- He risks alientating some of his base that may have an issue with a woman being president.

- She is currently involved in a potential scandal around a potentially politically influenced firing.

- No-one has heard of her (no reputation).

It seems that McCain has given up some ground on his "More experience" platform in order to gain some ground on the "I am different than GWB" platform.

Will be interesting to see how the events of this week influence voters.

I just caught a report by Jack Cafferty on CNN's Situation Room. Before the show went on the air, they'd already received over 6,000 e-mails about McCain's pick of Sarah Palin. The comments are overwhelming opposed to McCain's choice. McCain just gave Obama the keys to the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

So they read all six thousand e-mails on air?

So how does swallowing the MSM become you? Fox's e-mails are showing something else, so really the truth has to be somewhere in between.

Not forgetting about MSNBC, but they are really a non entity of news away.

I am quite eager to see Glen Becks reponse, because I have no idea if he will go way over the top with this one or not.

Zilch? Come on. I'm no great fan of Obama, but the guy has a lot more relevent experience than this woman, so how is it you think she's a great choice while he has "zilch" experience?

Executive experience.

A graduate of Harvard law strikes me, just from the start, as a lot more capable than journalism degree from Idaho. I might not like lawyers but I recognize that law school prepares one more for the job than a journalism degree.

Yes, if that's all it was based on.

He was president of Harvard Law Review while she was - a beauty queen contestant.

You say that as if it was the only accomplishment during that period of time, which of course, it isn't.

He served 7 years in the Illinois assembly while she served 2 terms on the city council of a town which would need to quadruple in size to fill a hockey rink.

Doesn't matter. Executive experience is executive experience. Like managing a small or medium size business.

Then he taught constitutional law while she was mayor of the same little council.

Again, managing something equivalent to a small or medium size business should not be discounted. Especially when compared to a "community organizer" and teacher.

He spent 4 years in the US senate while she spent 18 months as governor of a state with a tiny population with zero international interests beyond, perhaps Canada.

And perhaps Russia. Obama has zero, unless Wisconsin and Michigan count as internation interests.

I agree that he has a lot less experience than a candiate for president ought to have. But hers is considerably less than that.

I guess it depends on what kind of experience. Governing vs teaching.

You're not seriously suggesting that FOX is a news service?

Yes, yes I am. Do you not go to more then one source to verify facts before you form an opinion.

I watch both fox and cnn.

When it comes to reading news, you need to go to three different sources, because each one will have its own take, how else can you form an educated opinion?

Consider this, given McCain's age and cancer history, it's quite likely that American voters who vote for McCain are not voting for McCain at all but rather Sarah Palin. Do you want Sarah Palin to be the President of the United States? If so, vote McCain.

OK....I don't make it a habit of deciding my vote based on age or cancer. If brain cancer is good enough for Ted Kennedy, then it's damn well good enough for me.

Yes, yes I am. Do you not go to more then one source to verify facts before you form an opinion.

I watch both fox and cnn.

When it comes to reading news, you need to go to three different sources, because each one will have its own take, how else can you form an educated opinion?

Actually, I get news from many dozens of sources from across the political spectrum and from around the world. The problem, as I say, is that FOX is not a news service. It's a Republican propaganda outlet. If you don't know that, you're not in a position to recognize the difference between news and propaganda.

OK....I don't make it a habit of deciding my vote based on age or cancer. If brain cancer is good enough for Ted Kennedy, then it's damn well good enough for me.

As I say, you may not be voting for McCain, but rather Sarah Palin. If you're not taking that into consideration, given McCain's age and health history, your judgment's as flawed as McCain's.

And, perhaps you didn't get the memo, but Ted Kennedy is not running for President in the 2008 election so your analogy is specious.

Actually, I get news from many dozens of sources from across the political spectrum and from around the world. The problem, as I say, is that FOX is not a news service. It's a Republican propaganda outlet. If you don't know that, you're not in a position to recognize the difference between news and propaganda.

Sorry blogs aren't credible news sources, although you do get some entertaining commentary.

I can remember which which democrat senetor it was but from the floor of the convention he said to Sean Hannity that Fox gave the least biased coverage of all the msm, on the campaign to date.

Sorry blogs aren't credible news sources, although you do get some entertaining commentary.

I can remember which which democrat senetor it was but from the floor of the convention he said to Sean Hannity that Fox gave the least biased coverage of all the msm, on the campaign to date.

All blogs aren't credible? Of course, you know that's an absurd statement. How convenient you can't remember which democratic senator it was.

So Ken Lay, Bernie Ebbers, and Conrad Black would make a good Presidents? Remind me what McCain's executive experience was again.
Nope. I would have to say that Ken Lay, Bernie Ebbers and Conrad Black wouldn't make good Presidents. Luckily, most business owners aren't crooks.

So far, his pick has good sides and bad sides (for McCain).

Good Side:

- McCain has been accused of representing the same old government as Bush represents. The choice of this woman shows a distinct difference.

To a point. On the other hand, his administration has Dr Condoleeza Rice who has a very public face, and is very competent. This pick seems to be more of the same of his Bush's father's policy - picking a piece of utter fluff as a vice-president (in this case, in terms of resume - not IQ)

- So far, all of the focus has been on the democratic nomination due to history being made. Now both parties are making history "stealing some of Obama's thunder", as it were.

True, but stoopid ideas can steal thunder as well. McCain's house comment stole some of the thunder of the VP build up too.

- I highly doubt die hard Hilary supporters will support a ardent pro-lifer, but overall, this VP choice may have more appeal to female voters than a more typical choice.

To a certain extent, thats right. A certain amount of pissed off Clinton supporters will use this to shoot the party in the foot - just like the ones who gave the 2000 election to Bush by voting for Nader.

- No-one has heard of her (no baggage).

She is under and ethics investigation that soon everyone will hear about. Also, if there is any other baggage (as if her resume is not enough) it will come out. Qualye did not have any baggage until the campaign began either.

It took me a while to form an opinion, but in the end, this pick really sucks.

The Democrats are going to resurect those Qualye adds pointing out that she is "one heart beat away" from being president. I would prefer McCain over Obama as president, but I certainly would not prefer a lady who has had less than 2 years experience in any sort of real politics as president.

They are going to put up the resumes and ask "who do you want one heart beat away from the presidency.