McCain picks woman for VP slot

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/

Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, NBC News has learned.

She would be the first woman ever to serve on a Republican presidential ticket. The pro-life Palin would also be the first Alaskan ever to appear on a national ticket.

Hopefully Palin's nomination won't get held up by the investigation she faces on her hiring practices.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/

Hopefully Palin's nomination won't get held up by the investigation she faces on her hiring practices.

In his first major decision, John McCain has shown he is not competent to be the President of the United States.

Of all the people he could have named to be one heart beat away the oldest Presidential nominee in American history, and a man who has had cancer, he names perhaps the least experienced Republican available to him.

Can you imagine Sarah Palin who was once named Miss Congeniality in a beauty pageant as Commander-in-Chief, confronting Putin, Al Qaeda, Iran, North Korea.

Does McCain really think Palin is qualified to be President? Does Palin think she's qualified to President?

Where's McCain's argument now about Obama's putative lack of experience?

I can hardly wait for the Biden / Palin vice presidential nominee debates.

I can hardly wait to hear the conservatives on this forum defend this truly awful, incompetent, politically expedient decision by John McCain.

Of all the people he could have named to be one heart beat away the oldest Presidential nominee in American history, and a man who has had cancer, he names perhaps the least experienced Republican available to him.

The Obama argument is that McCain has lost the inexperience argument he might have made in the election.

Strange that McCain has picked someone currently under investigation. She may be totally innocent but it is a question mark that can't be totally dismissed.

In his first major decision, John McCain has shown he is not competent to be the President of the United States.

I thought you said you were a better choice than McCain? And you, with no experience can consider yourself a better candidate, then a Governor with considerable experience must be a better choice than you, even if only for VP.

I can hardly wait for the leftists on the board explain why you are so addle brained...

I thought you said you were a better choice than McCain? And you, with no experience can consider yourself a better candidate, then a Governor with considerable experience must be a better choice than you, even if only for VP.

I can hardly wait for the leftists on the board explain why you are so addle brained...

M. Dancer, do you really think that of all the brilliant women in the Republican Party that Sarah Palin is the best choice for Vice President? It is such a bizarre notion that we're probably going to find out later on today that John McCain's campaign is just have a joke with us.

And clearly I would be a better choice than McCain because I wouldn't have picked Sarah Palin as my running mate. I'd have chosen someone who could be President if anything happened to me--you know, someone like Joe Biden.

As for considerable experience, are you serious? A former city councilor with 2 years experience as a governor of a small (population-wise) state with a BA in journalism.

You can't be serious. This has to be a joke.

Or failing that, true to form, John's fallen for another beautiful woman--a former beauty queen. It'll be interesting to see how Cindy responds.

John isn't just old, he's senile.

And clearly I would be a better choice than McCain because I wouldn't have picked Sarah Palin as my running mate. I'd have chosen someone who could be President if anything happened to me--you know, someone like Joe Biden.

Can't pick you....you are not qualified as we have already established. Keep your day job.

As for considerable experience, are you serious? A former city councilor with 2 years experience as a governor of a small (population-wise) state with a BA in journalism.

Definitely not a Washington insider! But well connected to "Big Oil".

Or failing that, true to form, John's fallen for another beautiful woman--a former beauty queen. It'll be interesting to see how Cindy responds.

That would certainly be good enough for Bill Clinton! :lol:

Yep...just like President Ronald Reagan.

M. Dancer, do you really think that of all the brilliant women in the Republican Party that Sarah Palin is the best choice for Vice President? It is such a bizarre notion that we're probably going to find out later on today that John McCain's campaign is just have a joke with us.

What I meant is that 2 years gubernatorial experience is considerably more than a mercenary propagandist...therefore she is better qualified than you. \

Good luck with Biden...

Seriously though, is picking a woman, at least in part, an attempt to win over disgruntled Clinton supporters? Will it work?

Perhaps if McCain had chosen one of the many hundreds of remarkable Republican women who would, arguably, be qualified to take over from the aging, cancer-riddled McCain should the worst befall him.

Women will not fall for this, and most, in my view, will be insulted by it, seeing it for what it is: pure ham-fisted tokenism. You can be sure that if it's true that Palin is McCain's VP choice, laughter mixed with incredulity is roiling through the world's newsrooms.

I can see the headline now, "Miss Congeniality McCain VP pick".

Women will not fall for this, and most, in my view, will be insulted by it, seeing it for what it is: pure ham-fisted tokenism. You can be sure that if it's true that Palin is McCain's VP choice, laughter mixed with incredulity is roiling through the world's newsrooms.

You mean like with Geraldine Ferraro. We're still laughing! :lol:

[url="http://www.capitolhillblue.com/cont/node/10656"

[url="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/3/19/204741/636"[/url]

And of course McCain is old if "old" is defined as closer to the grave than the womb.

You think blogs are an accredited sources.

You are a joke and not a particularily clever one.

Edited by M.Dancer

I wonder if certain right-wingers here will now accuse the Republicans of playing "Identity Politics"? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, is picking a woman, at least in part, an attempt to win over disgruntled Clinton supporters? Will it work?

Exactly what ran through my mind when I learned this news.

This has been and will be one interesting election cycle.

Exactly what ran through my mind when I learned this news.

This has been and will be one interesting election cycle.

I personally have no problems with him picking Palin (or any other woman for that matter), but you have to wonder why John McCain, who has constantly criticized Obama for his lack of experience, would pick as his running mate someone with even less experience than Obama.

I personally have no problems with him picking Palin (or any other woman for that matter), but you have to wonder why John McCain, who has constantly criticized Obama for his lack of experience, would pick as his running mate someone with even less experience than Obama.

And who is presently under investigation in her home state?

Because the experience schtick didn't work for Hillary either (against Obama). If the game is identity politics, then McCain has his chips in the game.

This is going to be a free-for-all.

And yet, even the least experienced Republican available to him, has more executive experience than Barack Obama. :lol:

She isn't running against Obama and besides she has experiance in a executive level of government something neither Biden or Obama have.

And yet, even the least experienced Republican available to him, has more executive experience than Barack Obama. :lol:

This is truly amazing. If John McCain had nominated for his Vice President a cocker spaniel, you would applaud it. It is delusional to think Sarah Palin--of all the people McCain could have chosen--is a good choice, except to the extent it might pander to conservative elements of the Republican base.

Shady, I am stunned at how little you require of the Republican Presidential nominee in order to give him your support.

She isn't running against Obama and besides she has experiance in a executive level of government something neither Biden or Obama have.

Are you seriously suggesting that the experience of governor with a BA in journalism who's served only two years in one of the smallest states in the union and before that was the mayor of town with a population of about 5,500 trumps the CVs and resumes of Barack Obama and Joe Biden?

I sure wouldn't want you managing human resources or executive recruitment in my company.

Just for fun, read Sarah Palin's, Barack Obama's and Joe Biden's entries in Wikepedia for an inkling of how odd your comment truly is.