How Many Houses Does John McCain Own?

I find it hilarious that the right-wing will go along with the "Obama as elitist" talking point without question, even with a candidate who worked his way up from nothing in the south side of Chicago, while John McCain comes from such an elite group he can't even count the number of homes he owns. He had to get his staff to answer that question for him. :lol:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12685.html

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John McCain comes from such an elite group he can't even count the number of homes he owns.

Yeah, kind of like John Kerry, or Ted Kennedy, or Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Reid, etc. I don't think the number of homes a candidate owns, especially homes purchased after coming home from Vietnam, or acquired through a marriage determine anything about one's qualifications to be President.

Homes owned by candidate in question is a non-issue.

The real story here is how Obama has tried to turn this into a talking point.

Seems to be politics as usual for a candidate who defines his very being as someone who doesn't play politics.

I guess the "messiah" is pretty much like everyone else after all.

Keep it up, Barry. Your true colours are starting to show.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said in response: "Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses? Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people 'cling' to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who’s in touch with regular Americans?

:lol:

I don't give a hoot how many houses McCain or Obama has. What matters are the issues, and what each candidates' stance is on them. It makes for funny soundbites i totally admit, but in the end who gives a rat's behind that McCain has 7 houses & Obama has 1 yada yada.

Yet all the major media TV outlets have this as their #1 story tonight. Which just goes to show that this kind of thing DOES influence people's vote, which is pathetic proof of how moronic & uninformed the majority of Americans and Canadians are.

...almost as stupid as Clinton supporters voting for McCain instead of Barack "the black male Hillary" Obama. :rolleyes:

Shady, I had to see that quote with my own eyes. Here's the link:

"Does a guy who made more than four million dollars last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses?" said McCain spokesman Brian Rogers.

"Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people 'cling' to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who's in touch with regular Americans?"

AFP

This guy Rogers is hilarious:

"We're delighted to have a real estate debate with Barack Obama," said spokesman Brian Rogers, adding that the press should focus on Obama's house. "It's a frickin' mansion. He doesn't tell people that. You have a mansion you bought in a shady deal with a convicted felon."

"The reality is they have some investment properties and stuff. It's not as if he lives in ten houses. That's just not the case," Rogers said. "The reality is they have four that actually could be considered houses they could use."

Those four include an apartment in Arlington, a ranch in Sedona, and two condos, in California and Phoenix, he said. The others include "some investment properties and things like that."

He also added: "This is a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years -- in prison," referring to the prisoner of war camp that McCain was in during the Vietnam War.

Rogers called the house story "by far the most personal attack" of the campaign, and said "it comes from a candidate who said he was against this kind of thing."

He predicted that the story would not "stick" with the American people.

"In terms of who's an elitist, I think people have made a judgment that John McCain is not an arugula-eating, pointy headed professor-type based on his life story."

Washington Post

Aragula-eating? Is that like, uh, French cheese?

Ugh --- the replies above have it right --- what difference does the number of houses make? Does it affect electability / non-electability?

The only real funny thing here is McCain not remembering how many houses he has and having to get an aide to look into it.

Guest American Woman

It makes a difference how many houses McCain owns in the context Obama was referring to it. Regarding the point he was making:

"Somebody asked John McCain, 'How many houses do you have?' And he said, 'I'm not sure, I'll have to check with my staff,'" Obama said with a tone of incredulousness at an outdoor event here.

"If you don't know how many houses you have, then it's not surprising that you might think the economy is fundamentally strong," he said. "But if you're like me, and you got one house, or you are like the millions of people who are struggling right now to keep up with their mortgage so they don't lose their home, then you might have a different perspective."

So Obama makes a good point. It's not so difficult to understand why McCain thinks the economy is strong, but the Americans who are losing their homes in record numbers understandably feel differently; so his assessment of the economy is telling, and we need someone who understands the reality of the economy.

So Obama makes a good point. It's not so difficult to understand why McCain thinks the economy is strong, but the Americans who are losing their homes in record numbers understandably feel differently; so his assessment of the economy is telling, and we need someone who understands the reality of the economy.

I'd say that's a pretty stupid thing for Obama to say. Having one home doesn't necessarily imply you have an understand of the present economic status. And similarly, having too many homes doesn't necessarily imply you don't have an understanding of the present economic status. So all in all, I don't see the point of his statement.

Edited by Isomorphic

I'd say that's a pretty stupid thing for Obama to say. Having one home doesn't necessarily imply you have an understand of the present economic status. And similarly, having too many homes doesn't necessarily imply you don't have an understanding of the present economic status. So all in all, I don't see the point of his statement.

Then why did it apply four years ago against John Kerry? Limbaugh, Hannity, Oreilley and the other suspects were going on endlessly about how Kerry married into money. Isn't that what John McCain did also?.................after he dumped his first wife.

Then why did it apply four years ago against John Kerry? Limbaugh, Hannity, Oreilley and the other suspects were going on endlessly about how Kerry married into money. Isn't that what John McCain did also?.................after he dumped his first wife.

I don't know what you're talking about. Are you suggesting that what I said is false? If so, please correct my statement.

The only real funny thing here is McCain not remembering how many houses he has and having to get an aide to look into it.

I asked my boss how many different companies he has invested in. He had no idea but he could ask his broker.

It's the same thing really....if your investments are real estate and your business is politics you are going to have someone else manage those investments for you.

This works for the Obama side because his supporters tend to be very unsophisticated in finance, investments and the economy.

Guest American Woman

The reaction by the McCain campaign is pretty funny too. Obama sure hit a nerve. :lol: "Obama lives in a frickin' mansion" while McCain lives in only four of his houses and the rest are "investments and things." Could they possibly have been more ambiguous? Seems to me an "investment" is a pretty clear cut transaction, while "things" could mean just about anything-- And I'm guessing it does.

This is pretty funny, too. McCain's spokesperson said the "house story is 'by far the most personal attack' of the campaign...." McCain's ads are nothing but personal attacks. :rolleyes:link

A strong reaction like that does show that Obama did hit a nerve. It if were 'nothing,' 'meaningless,' there wouldn't have been such a strong reaction.

And yeah, let's talk about Obama's mansion and Obama being an elitist:

Official Net Worth: McCain $36.4 Million, Obama $799,000

As American Woman points put in such an unpartisan fashion, Obama can't manage his finances...

Campaigning for president has been very good for Sen. Barack Obama’s pocketbook, with his household income jumping from $991,296 in 2006 to $4.2 million in 2007, tax records show.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/17/nation/na-taxes17

You have to be an idiot to have a $4.2 million dolar income , but have assets under $800,000.....

I think Obama has the unsophisticated, unambitious vote locked.

Edited by M.Dancer

By that logic, the only candidate eligible for election would be someone with a large mortgage about to be foreclosed. I don't think Americans would choose a homeless to be president.

The fact of the matter is that Americans tend to choose successful people as their leaders. Both McCain and Obama have been reasonably successful in life.

Guest American Woman
QUOTE=American Woman: So Obama makes a good point. It's not so difficult to understand why McCain thinks the economy is strong, but the Americans who are losing their homes in record numbers understandably feel differently; so his assessment of the economy is telling, and we need someone who understands the reality of the economy.

By that logic, the only candidate eligible for election would be someone with a large mortgage about to be foreclosed. I don't think Americans would choose a homeless to be president.

Right. Because we all know that it's either being homeless or owning seven homes. <_< How about someone who knows how many homes they own and realizes that a record number of Americans have had to foreclose on their mortgages; have lost their homes? One that doesn't say "the economy is strong" and 'I don't know how many homes I own' in the same campaign when millions of Americans are struggling with that very issue, as has already been pointed out.

Furthermore, since people can't even afford to keep the very home they live in, I doubt whether the fact that some of those homes are "investments and things" is much of a comfort.

The fact of the matter is that Americans tend to choose successful people as their leaders. Both McCain and Obama have been reasonably successful in life.

And another fact is that the Republicans made a really big deal out of the five homes that Kerry owns last election. Now it's not supposed to matter that McCain owns even more? <_<

McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said in response: "Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses? Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people 'cling' to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who’s in touch with regular Americans?

:lol:

Of course, Obama made his $4 million writing books, in other words working. McCain made his millions sponging of his rich wife who he got after he cheated on his first wife, then dumped her when she was most in need. Hardly and officer and a gentleman.

McCain has to be one of the most immoral, incompetent, disreputable, opportunistic people to ever run for President of the United States. Why anyone would consider voting for him utterly eludes me. McCain has no redeeming qualities, not one.

All the fiction writers I know don't consider it work....

Funny. All the ones I know consider writing to be tedious, brutal labour.

But while it's true that McCain likely has little understanding what people whose homes are being foreclosed are going through, I think the point of the controversy is the GOP has been trying desperately to paint Obama as uppity and elitist and not like regular folks. Considering his background compared to McCain's, that line of attack is extremely hypocritical and geared towards those who prefer their blacks servile.

Funny. All the ones I know consider writing to be tedious, brutal labour.

But while it's true that McCain likely has little understanding what people whose homes are being foreclosed are going through, I think the point of the controversy is the GOP has been trying desperately to paint Obama as uppity and elitist and not like regular folks. Considering his background compared to McCain's, that line of attack is extremely hypocritical and geared towards those who prefer their blacks servile.

Yes lets consider Obama's bacground....elite private schools, private prep schools, ivy league universities.....it is there he leaned the hardhips placed on working folk by the high price of argula ....