U.S. Economic News

jdobbin

On 8/28/2020 at 8:56 PM, onlythetruthmatters said:

The facts........ Interest rate below inflation are negative interest rates.....Government spending...I Don't think they can cut spending without a crisis to many interest groups that are difficult to take on....

What happens after negative interest rates...Money printing......Can the Fed stop printing money without a crisis.....I don't believe so there is no political will ( kinda like closing down the airports Before the virus spread)......

Conclusion We are in A depression that they are trying to prevent from happening.....By fake economics e.g. an errosion of standard of living over many years. 

All the money they have printed is working through the system now, Asset bubbles.......How it will settle is the million dollar question....I think eventually the printing of money won't work any longer....and we should reach that point soon....then the money will shift.....I don't think anyone can predict where the money will go with certainty....China is communist, Europe is a Basket case. There is No alternative but Gold and other rare things like land and maybe companies that produce things people need Innovative companies.

I think the stock market will be the first to correct. Because its the most Liquid (concerning assets)

Studying at college can be easier if you choose a good service that will help you. So for example http://essaypapers.reviews/ here are many useful reviews about it.

Thanks you for your opinion. I agree

• Like 1

More good news for those who are in blissful ignorance:

https://fortune.com/2022/12/16/how-bad-recession-double-normal-length-china-bridgewater-associates-cio/amp/

Bridgewater Associates co–chief investment officer Greg Jensen warned this week that during periods of high inflation like what the U.S. economy is experiencing today, recessions tend to last longer—unless central banks slash interest rates quickly.

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Canadian paid news site - conservative.

You complained to me for calling you programmed by the media, but discount a news site because it’s conservative.  This is why I call you programmed, because instead of considering a story, you discard it based on your programming.

24 minutes ago, sharkman said:

You complained to me for calling you programmed by the media, but discount a news site because it’s conservative.  This is why I call you programmed, because instead of considering a story, you discard it based on your programming.

How did I discount the site?  I have seen good stories from this site.

Your opinions on me seem clouded.

6 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

what kind of conservative? ?

I read online that in 2012 they won a dispute with the Canadian Parliamentary Press Gallery to have its journalists accredited.

Now it seems they face new issues with one reporter from Blacklock being evicted. 

It's "classic" style...

• 2 weeks later...

Bed Bath and Beyond is closing 150 stores across the US.

https://www.the-sun.com/money/7042938/beloved-retailer-closure-stores-nationwide-shut-their-doors/

“Bed Bath and Beyond announced in September plans to shut 150 stores across the country as they struggle with significant debt and a difficult relationship with many of its vendors.”

Under Biden, More Jobs Created Than Last Three GOP Presidents Combined

The latest jobs report shows that the unemployment rate has also reached a 50-year low.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday released its jobs report for December 2022, showing that 223,000 jobs were added to the economy, while the unemployment rate has fallen to 3.5 percent.

The new report shows that a total of 10.7 million jobs were added in the first two years of President Joe Biden’s term. By contrast, under the three Republican presidents who preceded Biden — Donald Trump, George W. Bush, and George H.W. Bush — U.S. job production was much slower.

….

Biden’s record is more in line with those of his Democratic predecessors, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, with 12.5 million and 22.7 million jobs added during their presidential terms, respectively.

The current unemployment rate of 3.5 percent is the lowest since 1969. The bureau's report also showed an increase in employment for workers with disabilities to a level higher than before the COVID-19 pandemic. Unemployment among Black and Hispanic workers also felll….

https://www.nationalmemo.com/biden-2659082778

Just now, BeaverFever said:

The latest jobs report shows that the unemployment rate has also reached a 50-year low.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday released its jobs report for December 2022, showing that 223,000 jobs were added to the economy, while the unemployment rate has fallen to 3.5 percent.

The new report shows that a total of 10.7 million jobs were added in the first two years of President Joe Biden’s term. By contrast, under the three Republican presidents who preceded Biden — Donald Trump, George W. Bush, and George H.W. Bush — U.S. job production was much slower.

….

Biden’s record is more in line with those of his Democratic predecessors, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, with 12.5 million and 22.7 million jobs added during their presidential terms, respectively.

The current unemployment rate of 3.5 percent is the lowest since 1969. The bureau's report also showed an increase in employment for workers with disabilities to a level higher than before the COVID-19 pandemic. Unemployment among Black and Hispanic workers also felll….

Keep in mind, I don’t actually believe presidents control the economy. But there has always been a long established pattern that economies tend to falter under Republican regimes and recover under Democrat regimes. I think maybe its largely the result of changing attitudes,  perhaps when times get tough economically people gravitate towards left-meaning messages and once things improve they start gravitate towards right-leaning economic messages, until times are tough again 

4 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

….

Your link suggests that the US is basically at full employment, everybody who wants a job has one.  I guess the fact that Amazon, Meta, Macy’s, Bed Bath& Beyond,  Vimeo, Salesforce, Twitter and Compass are all laying off in January(Amazon is laying off 18,000 alone after 11,000 in November) doesn’t give you pause for thought?

Also, 200,000+ jobs created in December.  That is, of course, the month of high economic activity due to the shopping season.  Not exactly an impressive number compared to some of the last 20 December’s or so.

2 hours ago, sharkman said:

Your link suggests that the US is basically at full employment, everybody who wants a job has one.  I guess the fact that Amazon, Meta, Macy’s, Bed Bath& Beyond,  Vimeo, Salesforce, Twitter and Compass are all laying off in January(Amazon is laying off 18,000 alone after 11,000 in November) doesn’t give you pause for thought?

Also, 200,000+ jobs created in December.  That is, of course, the month of high economic activity due to the shopping season.  Not exactly an impressive number compared to some of the last 20 December’s or so.

Full employment doesn’t mean nobody ever gets laid off. Individual employers can still lay off workers even when there is full employment. The fact remains that there are still many more unfilled positions than there are people unable to find work and nearly everyone who wants to work is employed. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, BeaverFever said:

Full employment doesn’t mean nobody ever gets laid off. Individual employers can still lay off workers even when there is full employment.

This is common-sense stuff.  Even in the best economy, there are always companies struggling or going out of business.  A strong economy doesn't mean every single company is strong and succeeding.  Competition, markets and demographics changing etc always generate layoffs and movement in the job market.  

On 1/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, BeaverFever said:

The fact remains that there are still many more unfilled positions than there are people unable to find work and nearly everyone who wants to work is employed. 

Correct.  The fact is that often the location and type of job openings available do not match where the workers are or what their skills are.  When the coal-miner in Virginia loses their job, or Amazon warehouse clerk gets laid off after the pandemic online-shopping boom ends, the jobs that replace them might be in a different State or be higher-skill than.  This is called frictional unemployment, and it's always happening.   

• Like 1

Yet you're referring to drill-down data on specific instances, while refusing to acknowledge the more important meta data which far better represents the overall health of the economy. 

Nobody here is trying to say we're not headed towards slowdown or recession.  I'm saying that we're not headed for financial calamity, which seems to be what you want to see, rather than what it looks like we're going to see.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, Moonbox said:

Yet you're referring to drill-down data on specific instances, while refusing to acknowledge the more important meta data which far better represents the overall health of the economy. 

Nobody here is trying to say we're not headed towards slowdown or recession.  I'm saying that we're not headed for financial calamity, which seems to be what you want to see, rather than what it looks like we're going to see.  

You don’t know what I’m referring to and what I am not referring to.  What I’m looking at vs what I’m not looking at.  

I will simply say that, every so often we have a deep, difficult recession.  I could reel off the dates for you, but I think that you are informed enough to agree with that simple fact.

And for every single one of those events, almost no one saw coming.  That means, the data, the preceding economic indicators, etc, didn’t warn of it. So trotting out economic data and indicators that show a mild recession may make you feel better, yes.

But in 1980 and in 2008, people lost everything because they listened to smug people like you.  It is far better to plan for the best and prepare for the worst, just in case.  

And no, I’m not referring to taking drastic measures.  Simple things.  It’s like taking out insurance, and if we don’t need it, then it’s fine.

32 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Very much so!  Who lost everything?

I’m not sure then why I have to explain it to you.  In 1980, anybody who had to renew their mortgage at 18+% and couldn’t make their payments.  Many businesses went bankrupt because they couldn’t operate in that climate.  I know several people that went bankrupt in 1980 and lost their jobs.   That’s what I mean by “lost everything”.

That was in Canada.  2008 affected The US more as probably over a million went bankrupt when their mortgage payments greatly increased, they couldn’t make the payments and they couldn’t sell.  House prices plummeted in both recessions.  Why are you unaware of this?

Edit:  Google says that 10,000,000 were displaced in the "great recession" (2008).  In 2008 alone 3 million filed for foreclosure. 

Edited by sharkman

21 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Uh, yes I do, because you're telling us right here in this thread and the sub-forum.  ?

No you do not.  When you assume, you make an a$$ out of you and me.  I have shared very little of what I’ve become aware of, on this forum.