Federal parolees to wear GPS monitors

If they pose a threat of violence why are they being let out at all? Surely those are the ones that should remain in the bucket and those who are NOT considered violent are the ones who should be let out with the monitors on as a precaution.

Federal parolees to wear GPS monitors

OTTAWA - The Conservative government, facing the prospect of a fall election, hit the road Monday to aggressively promote its law-and-order agenda, including a new plan to track federal parolees by equipping them with electronic ankle monitors capable of tracking every step.

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, building on programs already in place in several province, made stops in Halifax and Toronto to announce a pilot project to monitor 30 federal offenders in Ontario after they are paroled from federal penitentiaries.

At the same time, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson travelled to St. John's, NL, the first stop in an Eastern Canadian trip to measure support for the government's plan to introduce further legislation to toughen youth crime laws by the end of the year, on top of a bill currently winding its way through Parliament.

The minority government's stepped-up focus on criminal justice, a key component of the Conservative agenda, comes amid speculation that Canadians will go to the polls by the end of the year.

Day said that the ankle bracelets, which will be equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, will be used on selected "high-risk" parolees who pose a threat of violence, in hopes of reducing the chances of reoffending....

MONITORING

Edited by maldon_road

Actually i don't see this as necessarily a bad thing, in fact they should be utilized in cases of house arrest for non-violent offences. It's much cheaper I am sure for one than housing an inmate. As for Day' comment, I am sure he meant to add that this was for prisoners that were due mandatory release etc...

Actually i don't see this as necessarily a bad thing, in fact they should be utilized in cases of house arrest for non-violent offences. It's much cheaper I am sure for one than housing an inmate. As for Day' comment, I am sure he meant to add that this was for prisoners that were due mandatory release etc...

I am against this simply becuase it requires more civil servants with fat saralaries that I have to pay for.

Need I really say more?

(note: this has been in the US since even I was a kid.. i was amazed that this already wasn't in place)

On one of the soaps on TV, one guy had to wear one of those GPS monitors until he found a way of getting out of it without setting it off and then he was free to come and go as he pleased but always put it back on later. Is reality far behind?

ON A&E's 48 Hours, this happened as well but for real. The guy found a way to take it off, went out and killed a guy and used the GPS as an alibi. But then he screwed up as the heat was getting to him, took it off, left it behind and skedaddled - proving nothing is infallible.

However, it is a good move and is more effective than trying to monitor parolees without.