Tories slammed

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...05?hub=Politics

The Harper government's timing for the release of some unflattering reports has critics scratching their heads over the Conservatives' concept of transparency.

The Tories took office promising clean, open governance and vowing not to practice the same old politics as previous governments. But they've stuck to one tried and true tactic -- releasing negative news when it will get the least media attention

Last Thursday and Friday -- on the eve of a holiday weekend -- three major reports were released late in the afternoon, leaving the opposition scrambling to respond.

I'm sure we have not seen the last of this type of behaviour. It was something the Tories used to criticize the Liberals for but they seem to have taken it to an extreme now.

I'm sure we have not seen the last of this type of behaviour. It was something the Tories used to criticize the Liberals for but they seem to have taken it to an extreme now.

It's understandable avoidance behaviour for a majority government capable of timing elections, but electoral suicide when presiding over a minority conch. Trying to bury this stuff as it piles up gives too much fodder when your opponents pull the trigger. The CPC is making a disastrous mistake here. You have to let steam escape. They choose to keep the lid firmly clasped and, as is the case with such matters, it will blow at the least opportune time.

If the stories were actually newsworthy the media would have carried them anyways. The fact that some are whinging about the timing simply indicates that the stories aren't that important.

If the stories were actually newsworthy the media would have carried them anyways. The fact that some are whinging about the timing simply indicates that the stories aren't that important.

I don't understand why you keep posting these examples of what really is just typical politics. There were innumerable examples of Liberal governments doing exactly the same thing.

Perhaps it is the hypocrisy of the initial Harper claim of open government. To many of us more open government would have been a welcome change. Of course, the Reform/Alliance promptly became Mulroney II, the sequel. So we're right back where we started. Preston Manning knocked his heart out for nothing, it would seem.

Still, what's your point? In our disgust with the Tories for breaking their word and trying to soft-pedal negative reports we should switch our vote to the Liberals, who will also soft-pedal reports but at least never promised to be good?

It is not logical to vote for a bad alternative just because the incumbent has a few flaws too. We Canadians are used to flawed choices. I fail to see your goal.

Burying the reports would mean that they didn't release them. They were made public. This is a non-issue.

I agree. Bernier is yesterday's issue. Do you think the Libs are going to raise it an election so the other parties can remind the public of the Sponsorship scandal - which occurred in a government of which Dion was a member?

Burying the reports would mean that they didn't release them. They were made public. This is a non-issue.

The Tories used to complain about the Liberals doing the same thing. It was a non-issue then? Where was the dismissal of the Tory complaint back then?

I'm sure that was what the Liberal said when they released reports late on Fridays and weekends.

Perhaps it is the hypocrisy of the initial Harper claim of open government. To many of us more open government would have been a welcome change. Of course, the Reform/Alliance promptly became Mulroney II, the sequel. So we're right back where we started. Preston Manning knocked his heart out for nothing, it would seem.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Mulroney II. If people find that acceptable then fine.

If conservatives find they can tolerate the lies they found unacceptable from Mulroney and from Liberals then this will go no where. However, if transparency really was an issue they believed in, they tell the government to stop releasing reports that they themselves commissioned quietly on websites hoping no one will notice.

I agree. Bernier is yesterday's issue. Do you think the Libs are going to raise it an election so the other parties can remind the public of the Sponsorship scandal - which occurred in a government of which Dion was a member?

Since the Tories are going to raise that subject anyway in an election, why not mention Bernier and how it shook the faith in our allies.

Amen. This thread is just a Dobbin soapbox thread. You have to hand it to him though - he's persistant.

Amen. This thread is just a Dobbin soapbox thread. You have to hand it to him though - he's persistant.

The personalizing is not necessary. If you have a reason why you believe that Harper is acting transparently, then say so. He used to criticize this type of behaviour when the Liberals did it.

The personalizing is not necessary. If you have a reason why you believe that Harper is acting transparently, then say so. He used to criticize this type of behaviour when the Liberals did it.

Like I said - you're persistant. The government requested the report. They made it public. Too bad if it inconveniences the opposition parties and as someone else said, if it's newsworthy, it'll get played by the media. And by the way Dobbin, I did personalize it - intentionally so but not negatively.....you're an intelligent poster who is obviously a Liberal booster - and your repeated comments on many threads do make you out to be on a soapbox sometimes.....call it a tongue-in-cheek compliment.

Like I said - you're persistant. The government requested the report. They made it public. Too bad if it inconveniences the opposition parties and as someone else said, if it's newsworthy, it'll get played by the media. And by the way Dobbin, I did personalize it - intentionally so but not negatively.....you're an intelligent poster who is obviously a Liberal booster - and your repeated comments on many threads do make you out to be on a soapbox sometimes.....call it a tongue-in-cheek compliment.

It was a soapbox that Harper used to believe in as well. I happened to agree with him at the time that reports should be made available in a timely matter and not at the convenience of the government. Harper also said information should not be hidden in ministerial portfolios to evade freedom of information. He was adamant about that and I agreed with him there.

All this talk about, "well, what alternative do we have?" is not helpful. What the response should be from the Conservative supporters is that Tories shouldn't be so easily compared to the worst aspects of the Liberals when it comes to the dissemination of information. These supporters should say it is unacceptable and that Harper should keep his promise on releasing information not when it is convenient for the government but when it is ready to be released for maximal transparency.

I know your remark was tongue in cheek but the soapbox was once Harper's. I don't know why he ever left it when it was a very strong position to take and one that won him a lot of votes.

Edited by jdobbin

It was a soapbox that Harper used to believe in as well. I happened to agree with him at the time that reports should be made available in a timely matter and not at the convenience of the government. Harper also said information should not be hidden in ministerial portfolios to evade freedom of information. He was adamant about that and I agreed with him there.

All this talk about, "well, what alternative do we have?" is not helpful. What the response should be from the Conservative supporters is that Tories shouldn't be so easily compared to the worst aspects of the Liberals when it came to the dissemination of information. These supporters should say it is unacceptable and that Harper should keep his promise on releasing information not when it is convenient for the government but when it is ready to be released for maximal transparency.

I know your remark was tongue in cheek but the soapbox was once Harper's. I don't know why he ever left it when it was a very strong position to take and one that won him a lot of votes.

You might be surprised that I would post this....but here's an article by Don Martin from today's National Post that supports your viewpoint:

In the White House, this sneaky communications strategy is called "taking out the trash."

In the Alberta legislature, it used to be called "bundling."

Either name has the same in-tent -- dump bad news on the eve of a summer long weekend in sufficiently large volumes so that scarce reporters on tight deadlines are too swamped to do their jobs properly.

For that reason, if nothing else, the moves rate a review after three stinkers were slipped into the Dumpster within an hour of each other.

Link: http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/column...ca-6990266ab386

Releasing reports when the public is unlikely to pay attention is to bury them under a thin level of cover. This cover is easily and opportunistically uncovered during an election. It is often better to inoculate yourself by putting the issue in the open. At a minimum, you can assess the public’s attitude, at a maximum, you render the item as old news.

This is quite simply, terrible political strategy.

Releasing reports when the public is unlikely to pay attention is to bury them under a thin level of cover. This cover is easily and opportunistically uncovered during an election. It is often better to inoculate yourself by putting the issue in the open. At a minimum, you can assess the public’s attitude, at a maximum, you render the item as old news.

This is quite simply, terrible political strategy.

Bull****.

The reports did not cease to exist on Tuesday. If anything, it gave the opposition EXTRA time to pour over them and be ready for a full media attack when the public would be listening. The reason they didn't make a big splash is not because they were burried, it was because there was nothing newsworthy there.

Bull****.

The reports did not cease to exist on Tuesday. If anything, it gave the opposition EXTRA time to pour over them and be ready for a full media attack when the public would be listening. The reason they didn't make a big splash is not because they were burried, it was because there was nothing newsworthy there.

Of course, if it was a Liberal government doing this, they would be s***bags trying to sneak a few ones on a Friday night, when there are fewer reporters around, deadlines are tight and opposition strategists are packing up for a week-end at the cottage.

Needless to say, this stinks no matter the government in place.

The main point is that the Harper government would not repeat the same tactics of the Liberals in the dissemination of information.