Your Favorite Aircraft

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't overload your Beaver.

Cool. Lake's Hood and Spenard (they are joined) at Anchorage International is the float plane capital of the universe. If you are ever there on a nice summer day, go have a beer and a burger on the patio at the Regal Alaskan hotel and watch them come and go. It can be quite entertaining.

Cool. Lake's Hood and Spenard (they are joined) at Anchorage International is the float plane capital of the universe. If you are ever there on a nice summer day, go have a beer and a burger on the patio at the Regal Alaskan hotel and watch them come and go. It can be quite entertaining.

Much like that Grumman Goose hitting the beach (see link back a ways), it's a sad day when a classic aircraft crashes. Beavers used to take right off from the river in front of my house until constant vandalism forced the city seaplane base to move to a near-by lake.

Ah, now it fits. That machine was at a trade show at the Tradex in Abbotsford one year. I forgot where it was from.

Was it? Missed that one. The project must have run out of steam...haven't heard a peep in a while.

Here's about the opposite...the old Bristol Boxkite. Many a lad earned his wings on one of these before being sent to the Western Front circa 1915-16.

Probably to end up flying one of these...

(Fe-2b like the DH-2, nicknamed 'the spinning incinerator')

(Be-2c-f death trap)

(Nieuport-11...nice but no interrupter for the MG)

(DH-2...posted previously a few pages back...Britain's top ace in 1916 forced to fly this one. Ended the Fokker Scourge, though.)

...or if you were lucky in 1916.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lM__0ko6yo (Sopwith Pup...first Allied aircraft w/ interrupter gear)

Simply one of the oddest looking aircraft ever. it's been over 20 years since I first saw this plane, I am still not sure if I love it or hate it.

Simply one of the oddest looking aircraft ever. it's been over 20 years since I first saw this plane, I am still not sure if I love it or hate it.

Basically it was the F-22 of its day. Billions and god only knows how many man years spent on research and development , followed up by an extremely short service life that really did not pay back its costs.

Edited by Sabre Rider

Basically it was the F-22 of its day. Billions and god only knows how many man years spent on research and development , followed up by an extremely short service life that really did not pay back its costs.

$1.5 Billion of today's dollars. It never did enter service. Only two made...with a third on the way. The ICBM sent it packing...the B-1 rose from the ashes of this program...twice...lol. As for being worth it...the program did introduce new methods of contruction that are still in use...so overall...it probably resulted in a plus.

It's a cool aircraft, hope you got a chance to see it. You will see the AN 124 at many of the worlds airports. It is quite a common sight at YVR. Aeroflot in Russia and Antonov in Ukraine have a big cut of the world heavy lift market because of the 124. Although a B747 freighter can carry as much or more weight, it can't carry the same type of cargo because the cargo deck is so high and it needs special equipment to load and unload. As there is no civilian equivalent of the C-5 or C-17, the Ruskies and Ukrainians have a lock on this market. Before we got our own C-17's, we were chartering them on a regular basis to get our stuff to Afghanistan.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a news article this morning and one of the ads on the page was, strangely enough, promoting the General Electric CF34 engine.

I thought it was odd to see an ad for a product that, realistically, is not going to be on most people's shopping lists. The page invites you to click on signatures of people who work on the engine. GE seems to be promoting themselves as an employer and a provider of innovative technology. (perhaps they are also providing their MSNBC subsidiary with a few advertising bucks.)

The CF34 is apparently a civilian-tune version of the engine that powers the A-10 Warthog, and is used on smaller passenger planes from Bombardier and Embraer. I have ridden on short flights to Calgary on both of these planes, and can confirm that it is a sweet ride. :)

-k

• 3 weeks later...
I was reading a news article this morning and one of the ads on the page was, strangely enough, promoting the General Electric CF34 engine.

I thought it was odd to see an ad for a product that, realistically, is not going to be on most people's shopping lists. The page invites you to click on signatures of people who work on the engine. GE seems to be promoting themselves as an employer and a provider of innovative technology. (perhaps they are also providing their MSNBC subsidiary with a few advertising bucks.)

The CF34 is apparently a civilian-tune version of the engine that powers the A-10 Warthog, and is used on smaller passenger planes from Bombardier and Embraer. I have ridden on short flights to Calgary on both of these planes, and can confirm that it is a sweet ride. :)

-k

I wonder about adds like these in the general media as well. What about all the Bombardier TV adds for commuter aircraft and trains? When did you buy your last one of these?

I wonder about adds like these in the general media as well. What about all the Bombardier TV adds for commuter aircraft and trains? When did you buy your last one of these?

I imagine these commercials are for stock holders or potential stock holders more than the rank and file watching TV. My favorites though are corporations claiming things they didn't really do. Lucent Technologies comes to mind there with their commercials claiming they sent man to the Moon rather than NASA.

:lol:

I imagine these commercials are for stock holders or potential stock holders more than the rank and file watching TV. My favorites though are corporations claiming things they didn't really do. Lucent Technologies comes to mind there with their commercials claiming they sent man to the Moon rather than NASA.

:lol:

If were a stock holder I would be asking management why they are spending money advertising to people who will never buy their products. Perhaps it has something to do with Bombardier being one of our more notorious recipients of government largess.

• 2 weeks later...

If were a stock holder I would be asking management why they are spending money advertising to people who will never buy their products. Perhaps it has something to do with Bombardier being one of our more notorious recipients of government largess.

True enough...and indeed a possibility.

Here's an oldie but goldie. A C-46 Commando still working out of Gimli, Manitoba.