Your Favorite Aircraft

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DoP

Years ago I attended the airshow at the Ottawa Airport. Nothing caught my eye more than that Mig 29 Fulcrum. The whole plane was roped off apart from the nose cone. My uncle who was a paratrooper was with me. I reached up and touched the nose and got chills in me. I turned to my uncle and looked at him. He seemed in a bit of awe. I told him. "Go ahead and touch it.. i know you want to" He reached out his hand, touched the nose cone and giggled a bit. He hesitated for a few seconds. It was really strange, I guess he was taking it all in.

Both it and the newer Sukhoi were amoung the first Russian aircraft with a higher than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio...thus the amazing moves they can do...tail stands and such. As I said ealier in this lengthly thread, the most incredible one I ever saw was the SR-71...Now that MF was LOUD. $50,000 just to turn the bugger on...1980s dollars. It needed special blowers to start the ram jets a-workin'.

Speaking of pitch angles...did you see the vid marked crazy airbus take-off or something similar?

I hope that was at an airshow...lol.

"Light twins" can do some impressive things when they are very light. No passengers or freight and little fuel. This guy was probably using full thrust for his demo, whereas in the real world he would be using derated thrust consistent with maintaining required takeoff performance in order to extend engine life. A twin engine commercial airliner has to meet the same takeoff performance criteria with an engine out as a four engine aircraft. ie: with a 50% power loss compared to a 25% power loss. Get airborne, level off, clean up, accelerate, pull the nose up and trade airspeed for altitude. Looks impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
And the more massive An-225 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVFhOpbHdok&feature=fvw

Yep, just drive those tractor trailers on the plane. Incredible.

The An-22 and the An-225 are very closely related if you look over the lines of the two craft. But indeed, the An-225 is one of the largest if not the largest aircraft in the world. An-124s used to land here regularly and I thought they were huge...think again.

"Light twins" can do some impressive things when they are very light. No passengers or freight and little fuel. This guy was probably using full thrust for his demo, whereas in the real world he would be using derated thrust consistent with maintaining required takeoff performance in order to extend engine life. A twin engine commercial airliner has to meet the same takeoff performance criteria with an engine out as a four engine aircraft. ie: with a 50% power loss compared to a 25% power loss. Get airborne, level off, clean up, accelerate, pull the nose up and trade airspeed for altitude. Looks impressive.

True enough. Modern high bypass turbofans also have power that the older jet engines just couldn't manage...not to mention how they turned the skies black with smoke. Early jets like that found in the F-86 (J-47-GE) also required a very light-touch on the throttle least too fast a spool-up should cause a flame-out.

Edited by DogOnPorch

The An-22 and the An-225 are very closely related if you look over the lines of the two craft. But indeed, the An-225 is one of the largest if not the largest aircraft in the world. An-124s used to land here regularly and I thought they were huge...think again.

OH indeed, the 225 is an updated 22. I am still amazed that these things can actually fly. It just seems to damn big to ever get in the air. Kind of like the beast at the end of the following clip. Turn your sound off if you don't like Creed.... :)

Top 5 largest planes in service today.

VIGGEN !!!

Grippen !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WCTdkG0olM

Ya, I like da Sveedish planes ya.

The Swedes make excellent planes. The only trouble with them...if trouble can be used to describe...is they've never seen action so we don't know how well they actually stand-up in combat. But that's a 'trouble' I'm sure the Swedes can live with.

Don't forget the Draken...

Another good Gripen video. BAE now ownes a good chunk of Saab Aerospace and they also own Bofors so they will probably be around for awhile.

That was a good one! Nice aircraft, the Gripen. Great terrain to fly over...the smoke really shows up.

Here's one I spent some time in as a kid.

http://www.seabee.info/seabee.htm

Dad eventually built one of these: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image1886.html which used Piper Cub wings which could be removed for trailer transport (difficult!). A cool machine for short trips into the bush.

That was a good one! Nice aircraft, the Gripen. Great terrain to fly over...the smoke really shows up.

Here's one I spent some time in as a kid.

http://www.seabee.info/seabee.htm

Dad eventually built one of these: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image1886.html which used Piper Cub wings which could be removed for trailer transport (difficult!). A cool machine for short trips into the bush.

So you are into Seabees. Ever run accross one of these Twin Bee

Saw one in Port Alberni many years ago with US registration. What happened to the Kingfisher? Is it still in the family?

I remember the seabee - living on a small lake most of my young life - I saw everything that could land on water come and go-- the most impressive was the beaver with it's twelve passenger capacity - such a thrill to see it take off - total tork...just roared - I was always facinated by air craft - until my childhood buddy Randy - got his licence to fly----I thought I was going to die - Randy seemed to have a habit of rolling cars over. Stall indicators going off - constant de-icing of the carb - being over loaded was not much fun for my first flight in a small plane. Not to mention the flat front tire he seemed to have missed during his circle check...God - I was totally white knuckle...

So you are into Seabees. Ever run accross one of these Twin Bee

Saw one in Port Alberni many years ago with US registration. What happened to the Kingfisher? Is it still in the family?

The Kingfisher ended up getting sold in two parts: wings and the rest of the plane. The fellow had better condition wings if I recall. That would have been around 1980 or so. We also had an old Aircoupe, a Piper 140 then finally a Piper 180 which was a really nice aircraft...not all at once, mind you.

I only remember the Piper 180s call letters. There goes the ol' memory.

:lol:

Yes to Seabees and amphibians in general. The TwinBee looks like a real fun ride. Mini PBY. I have never seen one in person.

Holy hell that was incredible !!!!

favorite aircraft?

the Horton Ho 229, an astonishingly futuristic Luftwaffe piece of kit capable of carrying 1,000 kg load over 1,000 km at 1,000 km/h; Reichmarschall Goering's so called 3 X 1000 project.

here it is:

http://www.luft46.com/ggart/ggho9-2.jpg

honorable mentions also include: the insane Focke-Wulf Fw Triebflügel, the B2 bomber (based on the Ho 229) and of course the SR71 Black Bird (hand designed!)

The Kingfisher ended up getting sold in two parts: wings and the rest of the plane. The fellow had better condition wings if I recall. That would have been around 1980 or so. We also had an old Aircoupe, a Piper 140 then finally a Piper 180 which was a really nice aircraft...not all at once, mind you.

I only remember the Piper 180s call letters. There goes the ol' memory.

:lol:

Yes to Seabees and amphibians in general. The TwinBee looks like a real fun ride. Mini PBY. I have never seen one in person.

Had a Cherokee 180 myself for a few years. Still miss it.

The Mig 29 has to be in the short list for its capabilities and gorgeous sweeping curves. I saw them perform at the Abbotsford Airshow one year and was quite impressed.

I guess this is what happens when you grow up and keep a real job - you get to by great toys..I always looked for the easy way out as a kid - like making a big kite and testing it's lifting capacity by binding my little brother too it. He stll has not forgiven me for that twisted leg...