Do-not-call list to go live on Sept. 30

Do Not Call List  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Canadians will be able to register on a do-not-call list to screen out pesky telemarketers starting Sept. 30.

The date announced Wednesday by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is 2 1/2 years after the commission started its formal process to set up the registry, and five years after do-not-call legislation took effect in the United States.

It has been a long time coming.

I think there are quite a few people who would like to get off the lists without having to resort to an unlisted number. It is probably all the more important since marketers are able to send unsolicited texts to consumers which the recipient would have to pay for.

Who here will sign up for the list?

Here is the contact numbers for people looking to sign up.

To put their numbers on the list, Canadians will be able to log on to www.LNNTE-DNCL.gc.ca as of Sept. 30, or call 1-866-580-DNCL (3625).

For the hearing impaired, the toll-free number will be 1-888-DNCL-TTY (1-888-362-5889).

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

It has been a long time coming.

I think there are quite a few people who would like to get off the lists without having to resort to an unlisted number. It is probably all the more important since marketers are able to send unsolicited texts to consumers which the recipient would have to pay for.

Who here will sign up for the list?

Here is the contact numbers for people looking to sign up.

Got my vote. Long time coming.

For the hearing impaired, the toll-free number will be 1-888-DNCL-TTY (1-888-362-5889)
Can the Canadian Press be any more out of touch with the Deaf segment of our society? They're called Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Deaf people don't call hearing people Deaf Impaired. Most of them don't consider being deaf an impairment, since they live quite normal capable lives using their own language that hearing people have such a hard time accepting. I know people are trying to be politically correct, but a lot of Deaf people find being called impaired insulting. Edited by cybercoma

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "the cat watching the mouse" aspect of this list. You are all aware that it is Bell who is maintaining and administrating this list, right?

And from the FAQ sheet on the website, I can already see how much of a nuisance this is going to be to the public:

The National DNCL operator will not be required to contact you to inform you that your registration will expire. It will be your responsibility to re-register your telephone number after the three-year period. You may re-register at any time; the three-year expiry period will restart when you re-register.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, let alone to re-register for this list three years from now.

Edited by cybercoma

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "the cat watching the mouse" aspect of this list. You are all aware that it is Bell who is maintaining and administrating this list, right?

And from the FAQ sheet on the website, I can already see how much of a nuisance this is going to be to the public:

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, let alone to re-register for this list three years from now.

The unsollicitated phone calls you get after the registration has expired will act as a reminder. :lol:

Two comments...

First, I can see the point in companies one does business with being excluded, (they should get your informed and free consent first though) as well as poll companies. Charities can sollicit me through mail, and that gives me a better opportunity to make an informed decision.

Second, I found the perfect way to end unsollicitated calls very quickly. They always mispronounce my name, so I just tell them there's nobody by that name in the house and I hang up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Second, I found the perfect way to end unsollicitated calls very quickly. They always mispronounce my name, so I just tell them there's nobody by that name in the house and I hang up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My approach is always the same. Say I'm not interested. In 80% of the cases they hang up. If they continue to babble then I hang up.

I'm always polite - at first. After all, these are just working stiffs doing their job.

It's certainly true that the poor guys and girls who phone you at suppertime are just unfortunate people who are stuck with that lousy job, so there's no point in abusing them.

Just the same, they're invading your privacy. At least, squeegee people wait until you're out in public before they interfere with you.

Several years ago, we adopted the practice of asking unwelcome callers to, "hold the line just a minute, please," then either putting them on Hold, if the phone has such a button, or just laying the handset down and going about our business.

It's less hostile than blowing a police whistle into the phone; it prevents other unwelcome callers from getting to you (your friends and family will call back, anyhow); and it causes them inconvenience, so maybe they'll go into squeegeeing instead of telephone solicitation.

Stay tuned to this station for advice on what to do with squeegee people.

The "previous business" one is going be stretched beyond credulity.

I can see it now: "You have shopped in a mall, we are partially owned by a company that owns another company that has products that are sold in malls, therefore you are a customer of ours."

Then there's the infamous, "you filled out a ballot" line.

The "previous business" one is going be stretched beyond credulity.

I can see it now: "You have shopped in a mall, we are partially owned by a company that owns another company that has products that are sold in malls, therefore you are a customer of ours."

Then there's the infamous, "you filled out a ballot" line.

I have yet to pay for an item with cash, and have someone force me to fill out their "questionaires" at the cash. Sometimes the cashier doesn't know what to do when I will not give them any information. I am speaking about just getting toilet paper or toothpaste, not fertilizer and gas if you get my drift.

Here is the monies, you do not get my name phone number and address or email address.

Sometimes its ok, others not ok. There is sometimes a puzzled look on the face, especially if the cashier is younger. They don't think there could ever be a problem with giving out this information.

Ballots, eh, hmm.

I will keep that in mind.