Are you 'hungry for an election'?

Are you 'hungry for an election'?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By all means get agreements but unilaterally imposing import tariffs based on Canada's arbitrary determination of a foreign company's carbon footprint would be the height of stupidity and invites retaliation.

If the WTO doesn't already have a clear determination on this issue, the legal stick could very well end up being used on Canada.

The Tories are going to have a field day with this. They will taunt Dion into revealing which countries he will erect tariff barriers against. He won't answer of course, making him look like a wuss.

Canada is very trade dependent. We would be nuts to start a trade war. If Dion had any sense he would talk about incentives for those countries with green footprints. Carrot, not stick.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federal Liberal Leader Stephane Dion seems to feel that Canadians are 'hungry' for an election.

What do you think, have the times changed? Are people really 'hungry' for an election? Or is Dion trying to mentally prepare the public for an election by suggesting such?

Change the word "Canadians" to "Liberal strategists". "Canadians" (Liberal Strategists) weren't hungry for an election just a month ago, when Dion could actually have challenged the government. Times have changed :rolleyes:

Change the word "Canadians" to "Liberal strategists". "Canadians" (Liberal Strategists) weren't hungry for an election just a month ago, when Dion could actually have challenged the government. Times have changed :rolleyes:

Easy to be brave when the House is adjourned. Let's see if Steph's testes are quite as firm come September 15th.

Of course, if the Libs go down the toilet in Westmount nobody will be talking election.

Edited by maldon_road

By all means get agreements but unilaterally imposing import tariffs based on Canada's arbitrary determination of a foreign company's carbon footprint would be the height of stupidity and invites retaliation.

I think he is already indicated in other speeches that this is not a unilateral action.

If the WTO doesn't already have a clear determination on this issue, the legal stick could very well end up being used on Canada.

This is what we have already heard from the Europeans.

It's the WTO not the ETO and it's still just an opinion.

The Europeans were saying that through WTO, they might be able to impose tariffs. It was Sarkozy who hinted it might be directed at the U.S. while some commentators said Canada could be in line for it.

I doubt very much that Canada would start this type of tariff but it has been affective as weapon. Just look at the U.S. steel industry.

The Europeans were saying that through WTO, they might be able to impose tariffs. It was Sarkozy who hinted it might be directed at the U.S. while some commentators said Canada could be in line for it.

I doubt very much that Canada would start this type of tariff but it has been affective as weapon. Just look at the U.S. steel industry.

So Europe imposes tariffs, they are not known as free traders anyway outside of the EU.

As the great majority of our trade is not with Europe, their advice and threats are cheap. They are not the people we should be consulting or worrying about as any fallout from Europe on an issue like this would be minor in comparison to the possibilities presented by NAFTA, Asia and South America.

So Europe imposes tariffs, they are not known as free traders anyway outside of the EU.

As I've said, the Europeans might be the first of a number of countries who would consider such tariffs. Canada would not likely be the first to impose them.

I wants an election! NOW!

I think Dion may be channeling you. At first he said Canadians are hungry for an election and it will come this fall. Yesterday, he said:

"An election will come between now and October 2009,"

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

I can't see an election call before the by-elections so that will take us to mid-September. I would expect the results of those by-elections will play on Dion's crystal ball vision as to whether the electorate is still hungry for an election.

Personally, I am ready to go to the polls anytime, except that I haven't yet mailed in my second yearly contribution to the Conservative Party Fund which I will do whenever the writ is dropped. I do think, and hope, it will be this fall.

I want an election. The Harper government should all look for jobs in Texas. They have screwed the pooch completely. This is the lizard kingdom of war and debt.

The op-ed on Iraq. The attack on the Supreme Court. The selective intervention on behalf of imprisoned Canadians.

Steven Harper. Go away. Breed. Take your spawn to Texas.

Retreat and wonder about the damage you and your kind have done..

I want an election. The Harper government should all look for jobs in Texas. They have screwed the pooch completely. This is the lizard kingdom of war and debt.

The op-ed on Iraq. The attack on the Supreme Court. The selective intervention on behalf of imprisoned Canadians.

Steven Harper. Go away. Breed. Take your spawn to Texas.

Retreat and wonder about the damage you and your kind have done..

What a foolish thing to say.

I think the CPC have wanted one but don't want to put the apple cart before the horse, because of their 2009 legislation for an election. However, they have been content with their LPC lapdogs who have aided them in making history as one of the longest serving minority parliments.

I think the LPC have done everything possible not to bring down the government.

I think the NDP have been ready for an election since 2006, about 15 minutes after Emerson crossed the floor and Fortier got his patronage appointment. Infact the NDP have stated they have done everything possible to bring down the government but have been unsuccessful (See LPC above).

The recent discovery of courage by the LPC is simply to acknowledge that they cannot continue on the path of invisibility in the house in the year leading up to a fixed 2009 election date. The challenge put forth, is tailored made to help promote their tax legislation and send a message that they are ready to circle the wagons.

The CPC have once again, used this as an opportunity to go on the attack. They have failed miserably in Diane Finleys riding, on Indian Land Claims and Tobacco. However, nothing like election fever, and the fear that Dougs wife is going to be out of a job, to provide a wake up call to the previously thought safe seat. Tobacco buyout on its way. Native Land claims to follow. Just might help them pickup a nearby seat too.

And I bet the LPC won't be happy campers with a fall election if the Bi Elections have them losing a seat to the CPC.

But the LPC are boxed in. They have to challenge the government this fall, it is now or never. And they have one hope to look strong.

And that hope is the BQ. Their Sovereignist rival, who may be in worse shape then the LPC, and just may prop up the CPC until fall 2009.

Be Hungry all you want.

I see this parliment going the distance, it is a marathon minority. Pretty Cool actually.

Well I just saw this in the National Post.

The number of donors to each party is also telling. The Liberals have had the fewest donors in both quarters of the year, just 9,556 this quarter compared to 33,000 for the Conservatives. Not to overdo the auto industry analogy, but if the parties were cars, the NDP would be a hybrid (popular with true believers but not yet mainstream); the Tories would be Corollas (which sell well even if not that attractive), and the Liberals would be as popular as a Hummer with a hemi.

Ouch

Edited by madmax

But the LPC are boxed in. They have to challenge the government this fall, it is now or never.

This is true. Dion will look so very silly should he step back now. I can see however how he could drag on should byelections turn the wrong way. He'll have nothing to gain by going to the polls, but everything to loose.

The stalemate may continue till Liberals devise some way to dump him, and elect a new leader. That'll have to be after the election, whenever it'll happen to fall.