Edmonton Police Private After Hours Club

I can't see what is wrong with the RCMP having their own private spot to drink in. It can't be too comfortable for them in a public place where people can identify them and perhaps target them because they are police. As long as they don't drink and drive what's the harm?

Police are the ones to enforce the rules of not serving booze after a certain time. In Ontario and Quebec it is 2 AM. Bars/pubs get shut down if they are caught serving booze after those hours.

If they want their own private spot to drink in, they can do what the rest of us do. GO HOME AND HAVE A BEER !!! This way, drinking and driving does not become an issue, among other things. Even if it is 4AM... It is something I have done. Hell when I worked night shift, I would be home at about 8:30 am and crack a beer. Nobody is serving booze at that time anywhere.

If the laws allow this to be in place, then we need to rewrite the law.

fellowtraveler

Whover is calling for the RCMp to shut this operation down is urinating into the wind...

I've been in two RCMP detachments that have beer vending machines (beer at cost price) in their coffee rooms.

There is nothing illegal about it, the public is not served.

Why not just have it in an open fridge instead of a vending machine if it is not serving the public?

Cybercoma

What would be interesting to me is the legality of putting a beer vending machine in at the office. Would that be legal? The public isn't served, but it's not a police/military operation.

Hmm, I'd love to have one at work. But that would be just asking for pain. Since I work in a grocery warehouse, a few drinks would mean serious harm (even if legal) by heavy equipment. No thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Class C (Canteen) licensing hours are at the discretion of the senior officer in charge of the facility.

It appears there are no hour restrictions for police 'canteen' licenses, which operate as private clubs.

http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/pdf/liquor/5224.pdf

I would think, more importantly, the sale of sex on the premises would be both a legal and moral issue. ^_^

fellowtraveler

Whover is calling for the RCMp to shut this operation down is urinating into the wind...

I've been in two RCMP detachments that have beer vending machines (beer at cost price) in their coffee rooms.

Why not just have it in an open fridge instead of a vending machine if it is not serving the public?

So that the club can recover their costs from the club members who drink the beer.

These are what the military calls messes, i.e., an officer's mess. I used to work in one when I was a teenager, and they stayed open as late as they wanted to stay open, and that was back in the 70s. They've been around forever. They're restricted to government military (and coast guard) and paramilitary organizations like the police and corrections. I'm guessing if the local fire department wanted one they'd be allowed, as well.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Being realistic as opposed to idealistic I realize that some cops will engage in abuse of authority. we have a few around here who do just exactly that in fact.

When I was younger, I used to waitress in a restaurant where the owner was friends with a policeman. Once a month or so they would have parties at our restaurant and 10-20 cops would come in together and get smashed! That's all fine, but I couldn't believe how many would get into their police vehicles, some still in their uniforms, and drive away afterwards. :huh:

I remember one night when one of them got arrested for (his second) D and D and my boss was worried they would come after us for serving him...

I refused to serve any of them after that.

When I was younger, I used to waitress in a restaurant where the owner was friends with a policeman. Once a month or so they would have parties at our restaurant and 10-20 cops would come in together and get smashed! That's all fine, but I couldn't believe how many would get into their police vehicles, some still in their uniforms, and drive away afterwards. :huh:

I remember one night when one of them got arrested for (his second) D and D and my boss was worried they would come after us for serving him...

I refused to serve any of them after that.

Cops are like conservatives, both feel like the laws don't apply to them but they are more than willing to bring the full force of the laws on other people. Do as I say not as I do.

The public is not 'well served' by police who spend a few hours in the club after work and then drive home.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok then, should it be illegal?

Barfight.

Then the on duty officers would have to come in. But hold on.. how do the RCMP get in.. isn't it a private club.

It is ludicrist but basically municipalities can grant liquour lisences within their mandate.

It depends on the provience and who the power to grant dispensing of liqour rests with.. and whether it is a private body eg. not a commercial business.

That is if I go to a friends private house... and he gives me a beer, he is not serving me under commercial liqour laws, we are sharing a private drink.

Likewise if I am at a freinds house and he locks his alchohol in a novelty dispenser that requires him to put a tooney into to get a beer.. that is not a commercial venture if he is not deriving a profit from himself.

If the private club is a cooperative of members who all put equal share and have an distributed ownership and members make use of their private property it is not a commercial venture unless they collectively derive a profit from it.. ect...

Edited by William Ashley

Barfight.

Then the on duty officers would have to come in. But hold on.. how do the RCMP get in.. isn't it a private club.

It is ludicrist but basically municipalities can grant liquour lisences within their mandate.

It depends on the provience and who the power to grant dispensing of liqour rests with.. and whether it is a private body eg. not a commercial business.

That is if I go to a friends private house... and he gives me a beer, he is not serving me under commercial liqour laws, we are sharing a private drink.

Likewise if I am at a freinds house and he locks his alchohol in a novelty dispenser that requires him to put a tooney into to get a beer.. that is not a commercial venture if he is not deriving a profit from himself.

If the private club is a cooperative of members who all put equal share and have an distributed ownership and members make use of their private property it is not a commercial venture unless they collectively derive a profit from it.. ect...

eg.

http://www.eia.gov.bc.ca/lclb/licensing/non-profitclubs.htm

• 9 months later...

http://www.edmontonpoliceassociation.ca/content.php?sec=5

An investigation is underway into the suspicious death of a 40-year-old Edmonton man yesterday morning.

In the late evening of Tuesday, July 7, Southeast Division officers responded to a report of an injured male outside of an apartment building on 79 Avenue and 71 Street. When officers arrived at the scene, they found the injured but conscious 40-year-old male laying in the front entry of the building. He was taken to hospital and later died of his injuries.

Link

----

I know nothing about any of this but I think, for those alive, we should ask questions. What happened?

For other cases, is anyone asking questions?

Edited by August1991