Can't These People Do Anything Productive?

jbg

The response to this post derserved its own thread. The news article excerpted below the quote of the post (link) really sums it up. Apparently, commemorating a battle is a challenge.

Very sad to come back to this thread and see that it is still about "Muslims".

There are hundreds of millions of very peaceful Moslems in India, Indonesia, Morocco, Malaysia, Canada, the US.... In fact everwhere...

And yet so much focus is constantly put on those who have been radicalized by regimes that none of us would tolerate, even for a minute: The Shah (US backed), the Taliban (US created), Hezbollah (Israeli response), Hamas (Israeli response)...

After two hundred years of western meddling in Central Asia and the Middle East, many still do not have a friggin clue. I doubt there is one in one hundred who knows who Mossadeq was. So sad. Too bad.

Can someone explain why it is necessary to "commemorate" a battle in this manner? What about a monument like Plains of Abraham or Gettysburgh? Too thoughtful.

What more is there to say?

(Link to article).

July 7, 2008

Bomber Near Pakistani Mosque Kills at Least 11

By JOEL ELLIOTT

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — At least 11 people died Sunday when a suicide bomber set off an explosion next to a group of police officers guarding an area near the Red Mosque, where a restive crowd had gathered to commemorate a deadly clash between Islamic militants and government security forces in July 2007, the authorities said.

More than 22 people were wounded, doctors at a nearby hospital said. Most of the dead and wounded appeared to be police officers.

About 30 officers had been standing on a sidewalk near a police station, just a few hundred yards from the Red Mosque in the center of Islamabad, when the explosion occurred. Thousands of people were at the mosque to commemorate an eight-day siege there a year ago that ended when commandos stormed the sprawling complex before dawn on July 10. Security forces and Islamic militants armed with automatic weapons, rocket launchers and grenades battled for an entire day in that confrontation, which left more than 100 people dead.

Within minutes of the suicide bombing on Sunday, which occurred about 7:30 p.m., medics were rushing dozens of wounded people to nearby hospitals and thousands of worshipers were fleeing the area near the mosque.

People running from the scene dodged police barricades, which had been set up as part of the tight security for the commemoration. Some were crying and some were wounded, and they left shoes and trails of blood on the sidewalks. Medics picked up body parts from the pavement.

Zafar Yab Ahmad, who lives nearby, said it appeared that the bomber had intentionally detonated the explosives near the group of police officers, who were part of a large security detail.

“I was standing with my niece,” Mr. Ahmad said. “We were saying, ‘Why are there so many police officers standing down there?’ And I went inside and just as I entered, the bomb went off. I came back out and saw 7 to 10 bodies lying on the ground. Some were in uniform and some were in pieces.”

(snip)

Can someone explain why it is necessary to "commemorate" a battle in this manner? What about a monument like Plains of Abraham or Gettysburgh? Too thoughtful.

If you ask me it's because of martyrs and killers being revered as heros. We have parades here in BC by the local Sihks (similar hotheaded males) with the very fellows who assassinated Indira Ghandi and the Air India bombers being honored with their own parade floats.

Folks down in the South like Robert E. Lee...but not that much. He might still get his own parade float somewhere in Virginia...lol. But, then, Bobby Lee didn't blow up innocent civilians...so the comparison isn't really very fair.

:lol:

-----------------------------------

Possessed with a full confidence of the certain success which British valor must gain over such enemies, I have led you up these steep and dangerous rocks, only solicitous to show you the foe within your reach.

---General James Wolfe

Folks down in the South like Robert E. Lee...but not that much. He might still get his own parade float somewhere in Virginia...lol. But, then, Bobby Lee didn't blow up innocent civilians...so the comparison isn't really very fair.
Robert E. Lee was actually previously a great U.S. general and opposed secession. Virginia was one of the last to go. If Virginia had not gone I think there's a fair chance that the Civil War would not have happened or been far milder.

Robert E. Lee was actually previously a great U.S. general and opposed secession. Virginia was one of the last to go. If Virginia had not gone I think there's a fair chance that the Civil War would not have happened or been far milder.

Yes...he was in Texas when he got the news about the looming war. He spent the entire trip back in a crisis of confidence. At first he was only going to fight in Virgina proper. It was also Lee who put down John Brown's revolt. So you gotta think he was the definition of mixed feelings that Spring/Summer of 1861.

------------------------------------

Every attempt to make war easy and safe will result in humiliation and disaster.

---General William Tecumseh Sherman (USA)

Yes...he was in Texas when he got the news about the looming war. He spent the entire trip back in a crisis of confidence. At first he was only going to fight in Virgina proper. It was also Lee who put down John Brown's revolt. So you gotta think he was the definition of mixed feelings that Spring/Summer of 1861.

Right....General Lee is mostly held in very high regard, even by "northerners". :lol:

I often wonder: is your habit of recycling anti-semitic language a conscious one?
I made no reference to any ethnicity. And someone who could conduct this outrage surely qualifies as a beast, not a human.

I made no reference to any ethnicity. And someone who could conduct this outrage surely qualifies as a beast, not a human.

It isn't a matter of ethnicity, it's the fact you referred to members of the Religion of Peace as beasts that upsets those who lean to the Left. One must always be politically correct when referring to religious murderous thugs.

Edited by WarBicycle

More to the point, where do you find a reference to "these people"?

One would think it obvious , but I suppose not.

Did you read the title of this thread?

The thread title does not refer to any identifiable group of people. Anyone who arranges or conducts a suicide bombing is (or in the case of the bomber was) by definition a two-legged beast. The subject of their "anger" is of no interest whatsoever to me or any civilized person.