Kucinich Forces Impeachment Vote

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Having failed in efforts to impeach Vice President Cheney, Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) escalated his battle against the administration this week by introducing 35 articles of impeachment against President Bush, using a parliamentary maneuver that will probably force a vote today. link

He's accusing Bush of leading the country into war under false pretenses, and it seems to me a report by the Senate Iintelligence Ccommittee already pretty much concluded that he had.

The report shows an administration that "led the nation to war on false premises," said the committee's Democratic Chairman, Sen. John Rockefeller of West Virginia. link

Edited by American Woman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many countries in the world have central parliaments in which a member is not afraid to move to remove the Head of State?

However quixotic and crazy Kucinich's impeachment motion is, however whacko Kucinisch himself is, the US is a wonderful country. An ordinary congressman can stand up to a Head of State.

How many countries in the world have central parliaments in which a member is not afraid to move to remove the Head of State?

However quixotic and crazy Kucinich's impeachment motion is, however whacko Kucinisch himself is, the US is a wonderful country. An ordinary congressman can stand up to a Head of State.

No kidding. Who was the last nutbar to try to impeach the previous President.

I don't see what's so special about it. Any parliamentarian in Canada can stand up and move to remove the head of state. The same could be said of the UK, where, in fact, it would be much easier to follow through on the motion. The US is nothing unique in that regard.

I don't see what's so special about it. Any parliamentarian in Canada can stand up and move to remove the head of state. The same could be said of the UK, where, in fact, it would be much easier to follow through on the motion. The US is nothing unique in that regard.
So special?

Bambino, I suspect that you don't know the world, or politics. The US is exceptional. (Note to Americans: Take tremendous pride in your country. I'm happy that I have you as a neighbour.)

----

Let me explain this.

Bambino, you don't see anything special about standing up to a Head of State? (IOW, bambino, you don't understand Scottish, British or American history. What happened to Charles I and James II?),

Americans should take tremendous pride in their country because any question is possible - Americans before them created a society in which Americans question the Head of State.

Less useful is a congressional impeachment than a people's revolution.
People's revolution? In the US, it won't take a revolution - it's just an election. George W. Bush will give up power in a few months, possibly to a Black man who disagrees with all of Bush's beliefs.

How many countries transfer power (peacefully) in such a manner?

Americans should take tremendous pride in the society that they have created. Such a society is rare. Sorry to be so loud but the World needs more of America.

Edited by August1991

So special?

Bambino, I suspect that you don't know the world, or politics. The US is exceptional. (Note to Americans: Take tremendous pride in your country. I'm happy that I have you as a neighbour.)

----

Americans should take tremendous pride in the society that they have created. Such a society is rare. Sorry to be so loud but the World needs more of America.

Little something on your chin there August... jeeeez.

What happened to Charles I and James II?

How many countries transfer power (peacefully) in such a manner?

Are you serious? Charles I and James II? I suspect you don't know anything about what happened in terms of parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy after the Glorious Revolution that deposed Charles from the throne. It's because of those events that a good number of countries now transfer power peacefully, though not in the same manner as the United States. Which brings me to my point: I didn't say the United States isn't exceptional, I said the ability for a member of parliament to call for the removal of the head of state was not unique to the US, and hence that is not something that makes the country special. If you think Canadian - or British, or Jamaican, or Australian - parliamentarians are too afraid to call for the removal of the head of state, you can only be living in the 18th century; perhaps around 1776?

Edited by g_bambino

Having failed in efforts to impeach Vice President Cheney, Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) escalated his battle against the administration this week by introducing 35 articles of impeachment against President Bush, using a parliamentary maneuver that will probably force a vote today. link

He's accusing Bush of leading the country into war under false pretenses, and it seems to me a report by the Senate Iintelligence Ccommittee already pretty much concluded that he had.

The report shows an administration that "led the nation to war on false premises," said the committee's Democratic Chairman, Sen. John Rockefeller of West Virginia. link

What a waste of time. By the time you get him impeached, he will probably be out of office. If you impeach him before then, you have president Cheney!

Besides, being stuipid does not constitute high crimes.

Spoken like someone who's only known freedom throughout their life. If only everyone in the world was as fortunate.

Perhaps you shouldn't pull my words out of context. August implied the US was unique for allowing its parliamentarians to call for the removal of the head of state. In response, I pointed out that other states allow the same thing. Therefore, the US is not special in that regard.

What a waste of time. By the time you get him impeached, he will probably be out of office. If you impeach him before then, you have president Cheney!

Besides, being stuipid does not constitute high crimes.

A precident needs to be set, and those idiots need to be made an example, and accountable to their actions. No one is above the law. If it does not happen now, it will never happen again for future presidents. This means they can abuse the power without reprocussions.

Start the process anyways. Clinton was in the impeachment process in his last year of his only term. So it is never too late.

If Bush cannot be impeached in time, then try him on war crimes when he is out of office. He will have less to protect him after he is out of office.

A precident needs to be set, and those idiots need to be made an example, and accountable to their actions. No one is above the law. If it does not happen now, it will never happen again for future presidents. This means they can abuse the power without reprocussions.

A precedent has already been set...so President Bush will not be impeached.

Start the process anyways. Clinton was in the impeachment process in his last year of his only term. So it is never too late.

Won't happen...Democrats lack the support and gonads/ovaries. Plus it is an election year. Clinton didn't leave office until January 2001.....he was a two term president.

If Bush cannot be impeached in time, then try him on war crimes when he is out of office. He will have less to protect him after he is out of office.

Sure, as soon as you try PMs Chretien, Blair, Chirac, and Schroeder on "War crimes". Don't forget Clinton too. Good luck.....

Perhaps you shouldn't pull my words out of context. August implied the US was unique for allowing its parliamentarians to call for the removal of the head of state. In response, I pointed out that other states allow the same thing. Therefore, the US is not special in that regard.

the point is, there are not very many nations where this can occur. In most nations such an action would lead to your arrest, but the US is in the very select group that allows such freedom.

Just an FYI, I think the impeachment attempt failed. O'Reilly interviewed the congressman yesterday that spearheaded the effort and basically chastised him for wasting his own time. Bill said the guy should go after important things like the skyrocketing gas prices.

the point is, there are not very many nations where this can occur. In most nations such an action would lead to your arrest, but the US is in the very select group that allows such freedom.

Just an FYI, I think the impeachment attempt failed. O'Reilly interviewed the congressman yesterday that spearheaded the effort and basically chastised him for wasting his own time. Bill said the guy should go after important things like the skyrocketing gas prices.

Many nations may well not allow this, but that doesn't undermine the point that the US is not unique because it does; it is the group of free nations that is special in comparison to those that are not free. The US may even be special within the group of free nations, but not for the reasons we're talking about here.

Edited by g_bambino

I can basically agree with what you've said, but I'm not sure why you insist that although the group of nations that allow this is special save for one in that very group, the US. That doesn't make sense. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding the US.

I can basically agree with what you've said, but I'm not sure why you insist that although the group of nations that allow this is special save for one in that very group, the US. That doesn't make sense. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding the US.

I never said the US was separate from that group of nations.