Poor ticket sales, expected protests scuttle Bush-McCain fundraiser

Don't see how McCain benefits being seen with Bush? I would have thought he would have been the last person he would have wanted to be on stage with.

Poor ticket sales, expected protests scuttle Bush-McCain fundraiser at Phoenix Convention Center

A Tuesday fundraiser headlined by President Bush for U.S. Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign is being moved out of the Phoenix Convention Center.

Sources familiar with the situation said the Bush-McCain event was not selling enough tickets to fill the Convention Center space, and that there were concerns about more anti-war protesters showing up outside the venue than attending the fundraiser inside.

Another source said there were concerns about the media covering the event.

Bush's Arizona fundraising effort for McCain is being moved to private residences in the Phoenix area. A White House official said the event was being moved because the McCain campaign prefers private fundraisers and it is Bush administration policy to have events in public venues open to the media. The White House official said to reconcile that the Tuesday event will be held at a private venue and not the Convention Center....

(full story)

McCain-Bush

Guest American Woman
Don't see how McCain benefits being seen with Bush? I would have thought he would have been the last person he would have wanted to be on stage with.

My thoughts exactly. McCain needs to distance himself from Bush.

My thoughts exactly. McCain needs to distance himself from Bush.

It's pretty hard to distance himself when he's running on the same platform. Given the pathetic fundraising the GOP has managed so far and the terrible numbers they've been drawing to the primaries, I'm wondering if McCain's heart is even in this race. He's probably already tired from the process of getting the nomination and doesn't have the energy to even bother anymore.

It's pretty hard to distance himself when he's running on the same platform. Given the pathetic fundraising the GOP has managed so far and the terrible numbers they've been drawing to the primaries, I'm wondering if McCain's heart is even in this race. He's probably already tired from the process of getting the nomination and doesn't have the energy to even bother anymore.

McCain is more low key than Obama but I don't know if that's relevant to the voters. The only voters who are getting excited about Obama are Dems. In the general election he will have to attract GOP voters if he hopes to win.

Can't wait until the two of them debate Iraq.

McCain is more low key than Obama but I don't know if that's relevant to the voters. The only voters who are getting excited about Obama are Dems. In the general election he will have to attract GOP voters if he hopes to win.

Obama does well with independents and "Obamacans," but McCain is not generating any excitement among the GOP, and that lack of enthusiasm is showing in their inability to raise money or draw people to vote in the primaries. Given McCain is bumbling through the careful manouevers necessary to draw Christian conservatives--flip-flopping on whether he wants the endorsement of Hagee this week--and the fact that he's dealing with resignations within his campaign, he will need to seriously turn this campaign around between now and November if it's going to be anything but a complete blow-out.

So said the pundits in July 2007 about Senator McCain's campaign for the GOP nomination. I guess he fooled them...huh?

In no way do I count McCain out. Obama doesn't wear well. I don't see him very often but already I am tired of listening to the refrain, "Don't let Senator McCain serve George Bush's third term". Perhaps cute the first time but not thereafter.

In terms of the individual candidates, Obama is raising much more money than McCain. However, the RNC has a tremendous amount of money available for the GE, while the DNC is nearly broke. The RNC will level the playing field in the fall and keep McCain competitive.

However, if Obama chooses to break his promise, and reject public financing, he'll have a significant advantage in funds, but may have more political problems to defend in the fall, as to why he promised to accept public campaign financing, but then, flip-flop on his promise. Is that part of the new change he's promising to his voters?

• 2 weeks later...
However, if Obama chooses to break his promise, and reject public financing, he'll have a significant advantage in funds, but may have more political problems to defend in the fall, as to why he promised to accept public campaign financing, but then, flip-flop on his promise. Is that part of the new change he's promising to his voters?

Well Flip Flopping certainly hasn't hurt McCain I.E. the lobbyist issue. But of course McCain wasn't public financing, he knows that Obama will raise way more money than him.

But it's ok if you're a Republican.