Is Bush Finished?

When President Bush assumed the presidency with less than 50% of the popular vote, and a little help from his Republican appointed Supreme Court, one would have thought that Bush would have had the wsdom to not go to extremes because of polarization of American society. No such luck. Now finally his extremist policies are coming back to haunt him.

Problems mount for Bush as election season looms

President tries to mend fences with UN as approval drops, cabinet shows cracks

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...04/National/Idx

His approval rating is slumping; a cabinet minister is straying; the hurry-up plan to hand Iraq back to the Iraqis is slipping, and an inquiry into his reasons for ousting Saddam Hussein looms. If that weren't enough, old claims about whether he shirked military service have resurfaced just in time for election season.

Put a fork in him cause he is DONE!!!

I'm surprised that he's finally going to come out and answer some questions on Meet The Press this weekend. Usually he gives his speech and runs before anyone can ask him anything.

A Republican here at work tells me that he does not answer questions because he is not a good speaker or that speech is not his forte....Someone pinch me here, this is the President of the Free World we're talking about, the No. 1 position and you're telling me that speaking is not a strong point??? May as well have put Helen Keller in there!

I agree that we are far away from the US election.

While Bush has dropped almost 20% in the polls recently, from 65% to now 47% support (latest), a lot depends on what the opposition does. BTW for first time since elected Bush is going on Meet the Press this Sunday.

My impression is that Dean was the one who really cracked Bush's armour, with his relentless attacks primarily on the White House Iraq policies. He has been consistent from the beginning with his opposition to the War, the other mainstream candidates have just jumped on the bandwagon, once they saw which way the wind was blowing.

Curious about one thing - did Senator Kennedy support the war on Iraq as well?

If the Democratic establishment now takes away the nomination and gives it to Kerry, which is what appears to be happening, I wonder if Americans are going to see that much difference bewtween Kerry and Bush.

Nader is probably going to run, and this time he will probably get 5% of the popular vote (3% last time), especially if Dean is not the Democratic candidate, which could end up denying the presidency to the Democrats.

Hopefully Nader does run to try and force a fundamental change in democratic party policies.

If I were a Dean supporter, and Dean does not get the nomination, I would vote for Nader.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two mainstream parties, apart from their respective logos. Just two wealthy groups fighting for more power, than they already have in society.

Unfortunately the reality of politics is "who gets the next contract"

First, Maplesyrup, you are mistaken in your view of how Nader is viewed among Democrats and of his ability to 'change' party policies. In fact, he is viewed as the reason Al Gore lost the election and is considered as a "spoiler" and one who did so deliberately! The American political system both at the State and Federal levels is weighed against splinter parties. It is next to impossible for one to become a significant political force althou a Nader can torpedo a Gore as a Perot did to a Bush. We may well witness what an unrepentant Dean does to a Kerry or Edwards!

Dean has played to the ultra left wing of the Democratic Party and forced other candidates to pander to this faction to survive the primaries. What will be interesting will be to watch the survivors/Democratic Candidate do a two-step to the middle in an attempt to convince the electorate that he is serious about National Security and can be trusted to defend America. And that does not mean kissing butt at the UN!

The attacks against Pres. Bush based upon supposed avoidance of service in Vietnam are an attempt to denigrate his character. No matter how the liberal media plays this, it will fail. I have read enough to have it clear that when his F-102 training was complete, the F-102 was being phased out of Vietnam. When they ceased to use that plane, it ended any chance that those Guard pilots would be sent to 'Nam.

I believe much of the decline in the polling is simply a matter of exposure. The Media is full of the Democratic Primary race and Pres. Bush and the Republican Party are mainly silent as this spectacle occurs. Until the Democrats narrow the field down to one or two, it would be unseemly for a sitting President to respond to all this rhetoric.

Forget most of the "issues" in the Media today, these will not survive the next few months. What may well be critical is something which isn't even on our radar screen today - your guess is as good as mine, it's just that it's early on in the campaign to determine what could be a true issue. One sleeper which could well damage him is the "Immigration" issue as this one could have Republicans sitting out the election. If 5% of the Republican base remain at home and do not vote because of his position on immigration, he is history unless the Democratic base is also fractured by a Nader/Dean third Party candidacy.

I believe that Cheney is history - it will, of course, be because of his heart condition and not Haliburton or the Palme affair (which seems to track back to his office). Problem is Pres. Bush's legendary loyalty to those who work with him. Cheney himself will have to conclude he is a problem and remove himself from the re-election contest.

If Vice President Cheney bows out, I believe President Bush has the character and the courage to select Condi Rice as his VP. She has not (to my knowledge) ever indicated if she would consider the position. She would pay a heavy price were she to do so as the Black political establishment is wedded to the Democratic 'spoils' system and she would be attacked (as was Judge Thomas) to prevent any movement of Black people to the Republican Party.

When President Bush assumed the presidency with less than 50% of the popular vote, and a little help from his Republican appointed Supreme Court, one would have thought that Bush would have had the wsdom to not go to extremes because of polarization of American society. No such luck. Now finally his extremist policies are coming back to haunt him.

I would like to ask you, if i have this out of context please correct me.

Isn't it gore who took the election to the courts?

So then it would have been his fault that bush won the election.

Correct?

Extremist policies?

What pisses me off on this issue of his Nat. Guard duty is that the Liberal media is never satisfied.

They keep peppering his press secretary with the same damn questions.

It is really pissin me off.

This is just another futile attempt to destroy a man's reputation and character who has brought this country out of a recession, and keep this country safe from terrorists around the world.

Please the character assasination won't work.

But they still try it anyways.

People(mod. and indep. especially) are going to wake up and realize this character assasination shows the true side of the liberals leftist agenda.

Bush is going to win reelection.

MARK MY WORDS

Liberal media is never satisfied.

Hmmm, Rush Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Kudlow and Kramer, Harlborough (whatever his name is)....

Even these morons are questioning Bush's spending habbits right now of all people. Not even they can find anymore excuses for Bush.

And you Republicans complained about Gov. G. Davis' spending habbits...funny!

Liberal media is never satisfied.

Hmmm, Rush Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Kudlow and Kramer, Harlborough (whatever his name is)....

Even these morons are questioning Bush's spending habbits right now of all people. Not even they can find anymore excuses for Bush.

And you Republicans complained about Gov. G. Davis' spending habbits...funny!

Still if you ask any of those people, i bet they are still going to vote for bush in Nov, and that's what matters come election time.

Simply Stated: Bush is still going to beat Kerry.

No matter his spending habits,

no matter the liberal media's continued onslaught on his Nat. Guard dute.

He brought the economy out of a recession,

and now greenspan projects the economy and the job market will continue to grow faster than expected.

You can't argue with those results.

The only major issues Kerry will be able to debate with bush is Healthcare and issues at home, Not the Economy or War,

if he trys those two it will come back to haunt the idiot come the debates.

Bush is going to get reelected whether you like it or not.

Better get used to another 4 years!

Derek,

Hahhaaha, you are a funny man!

I'm sure Rush will vote for Bush he's not in jail during election day...

Go back and look at Alan Greenspan's last 2 year projections, they have all been positive and last year there was a net loss of jobs vs. jobs created as well....

He also warned of problems with the budget deficit but, you forgot to mention that...

Bottom line is that Bush Must Go!!!

• 3 weeks later...
The attacks against Pres. Bush based upon supposed avoidance of service in Vietnam are an attempt to denigrate his character. No matter how the liberal media plays this, it will fail. I have read enough to have it clear that when his F-102 training was complete, the F-102 was being phased out of Vietnam. When they ceased to use that plane, it ended any chance that those Guard pilots would be sent to 'Nam.

Uh, no. That's never been mentioned at all. Hell, even the White House hasn't tried to peddle that steaming pile of an argument. First, Bush's unit was never intended to head to 'Nam anyway. Second, the questions on Bush's service derive from the gaps in his service record, including his refusal to take a physical and his no-show at his Alabama ANG unit.

AWOL Bush

Bush's credibility gap.

This story goes back to the 2000 election.

This is just another futile attempt to destroy a man's reputation and character who has brought this country out of a recession, and keep this country safe from terrorists around the world.

Please the character assasination won't work.

Bush has chosen to present himself as a war president. It should come as no surprise that his own military service (or lack thereof) should be called into question. Who can forget the scourging Bill Clinton received for his student deferment (to say nothing of the hummer affair). But at least we knew where he was. So you'll excuse me if I don't feel to bad about poor Georgie and his problems with those nasty reporters who keep asking him questions with the big words. If you can't take the heat, Junior, stay out of the kitchen.

(edited to add the following)

Oh yeah...

Isn't it gore who took the election to the courts?

So then it would have been his fault that bush won the election.

Correct?

Nope, Gore filed a suit after Bush's lawyers went to court to stop the recount. As to fault, you could argue it was Gore's lacklustre campaign. Or Nader. Or you could argue, as I do, that Gore's loss was due to the disenfranchisment of thousands of voters prior to the election, the irregularities rampant in the U.S.'s voting system, Katherine Harris, Gov. Jeb Bush who "promised" his brother Florida, the Bush lawyers who went to court to stop the recount and the U.S. Supreme Court, which voted on partisan lines in a unprecedented and never-to-be cited decision. But hey, I'm sure if it had been five Democrat justices overturning a Republican victory, y'all would have "gotten over" that, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Get in your wayback machines for a trip to 2000.

Hello, NDP NEWBIE, exactly what is your point and how does it relate to the topic under discussion?

Each of the United States sets qualifications for Voter enfranchisement. In a number of States, conviction of a Felony results in disenfranchisement - your right to vote is rescinded. The Federal Government has nothing to do with these qualifications - this is not a matter of equal rights or discrimination based upon race, creed, etc..

I presume that the Provinces of Canada have something similar but please correct me if I am mistaken.

Your 'beef', if I may call it that, appears to be with Statutes governing Marijuana usage and while that is a legitimate topic for discussion, it has no relevance on the topic of "Is Bush Finished".

What has Bush done for us? (This is just a quick list I came up with)...I'm 14 and sadly I can't vote...

~Given us the biggest deficit…since the great depression.

~Our jobless rate has been rising to the biggest since the great depression

~Our economy is in a recession

~Cut money from my education

~Given the wealthy tax breaks

~Turned are once allies against us

~Lied to us about war

~500+ United States soldiers have died

~10,000+ innocent civilians in Iraq have been killed

~Not gotten Osama Bin Laden

~Got Saddam Hussein, but in doing so our terror alters have been going up, and down

~Divided America

~Cut down on environmental standards

~Patriot Act, with violates our constitution and our right to privacy

~Wants to ban flag burning (which will just make more people do it)

~Marriage Laws will be enforced

Bushs enlistment is like his policy on no child left behind. He just forgot to show for his duties.He left the kids on the curb. He sure uses the National Guard to fight wars today. The Guard is suppose to be the last line of defense against an outside threat. Not the main force of an invading army. No wander the men laugh when asked to re up. Hell they haven't been home in 2yrs. This was suppose to be a part- time job.

Ah geez, Galahad, you went and ruined it by explaining the punch line. "See, Bush will pick the ex-Mayor of NY and get rid of the fat, bald guy with the lesbian daughter because, you know, the mayor guy is really popular after what happened in New York."

Personally, I was more intrigued by the Condi Rice scenario.

Ah geez, Galahad, you went and ruined it by explaining the punch line. "See, Bush will pick the ex-Mayor of NY and get rid of the fat, bald guy with the lesbian daughter because, you know, the mayor guy is really popular after what happened in New York."

Personally, I was more intrigued by the Condi Rice scenario.

Condi is one hell of a nice choice too.

But I still say Rudy. He's popular because he actually accomplished something as mayor & is totally cool under pressure (if they have to pick him up by his belt like they did Cheney ... no sweat for Rudy).

As for the lesbian Cheney progeny ... well Rudy lived with a gay couple during the 911 crises, so the truly homophobic will just have to vote for Kerry.

But I doubt Bush'll dump Cheney ... he seems to really trust him. And could Rudy stay in "an undisclosed location" for very long without people hollering & chanting .. "Ruu-dy Ruu-dy Ruu-dy" for him to come out? I don't think so.

The fact is that both, Rudy or Condi, would pull more votes in for the Republicans than Dick will, not that George W. needs any help in this department. So if Dick wants to see Kerry's Democrats being REALLY humiliated he'll step down for health reasons and let Rudy or Condi make these elections a slam-dunk.