Lebanon on the Brink of Civil War (Again)

Supporters of Lebanon's Western-backed government and the Hezbollah-led opposition have been involved in fierce armed clashes in the streets of Beirut.

Television reports showed gunmen firing rifles and rocket-propelled grenades in Corniche al-Mazraa and Ras al-Nabaa.

The fighting began after the leader of Hezbollah described the government's move to close its telecommunications network as a "declaration of war".

Hassan Nasrallah vowed to "cut off the hand" that attempted to dismantle it.

Earlier, the Lebanese army command warned its unity was at risk if the ongoing political crisis and civil unrest in Beirut continued.

In recent years, it has been seen as one of Lebanon's most neutral institutions, but correspondents say clashes between rival factions could draw it into the conflict.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7390943.stm

Hezbollah won't be content until they rule as a one party state which is contrary to their statements regarding their armed faction, why they have an armed faction.

This is an interersting development considering that Bush is now trying to make peace in the Middle East his legacy before he gets relegated to the dustbin of history. Anybody who wants to participate in this thread should read Robert Fisk's "Pity the Nation". Feel sorry for Lebanon. These poor people are like Burma, but the hurricane never ends.

Edited by HisSelf

Nobody in that part of the world has been content for thousands of years and likely won't until the end of history.

You're just a regular genius, aren't you?

Anyways - after reading Tom Friedman's book on the civil war (which I highly recommend), I don't even want to think about the folks there having to endure another brutal conflict, especially after the summer of 2006. I don't think Hezbollah would be so brave if they weren't getting so much support from Iran's regime.

I'm interested to hear what Fisk will say about all this.

I know alot of folk around here dismiss him outright - but the gentleman has lived in Lebanon for decades now, and understands much of what goes on 'in the street' there very well.

I don't agree with him all the time either, but certainly will look forward to his insight given the recent events.

Keep in mind, and even our media trumpets the fact, that Sinoria's government is 'Western Backed' - translate as US of A. They have been stalling or a long time wrt the elections - the Lebanese aren't too happy about this, not to mention the degree of absolute corruption which has plagued his administration.

Time for another election.

Time for the US/Israel to stop meddling around...

This is an interersting development considering that Bush is now trying to make peace in the Middle East his legacy before he gets relegated to the dustbin of history. Anybody who wants to participate in this thread should read Robert Fisk's "Pity the Nation". Feel sorry for Lebanon. These poor people are like Burma, but the hurricane never ends.

Ahhh, 3 posts in and we can blame it on Bush. Wow, going to be an easy fix for the world when Bush is gone!

Come Jan 2009 the world will be all better! Can't wait!

Perhaps, but I think Egypt also has its hands full trying to oppress its fundamentalists. We've seen how that usually turns out these days.

Jordan has been pretty content since they signed the peace treaty too. Must be a coincidence. Surely this is all the USA's and Israel's fault.. oops, Buffy beat me to it. Damn, you got to be on your toes blaming everything on the Joos and Bush. I winder if Bush is really a secret Joo?

hmmm... Now that would make sense wouldn;t it?

Hezbolla is overrunning west Beirut, if this turns into a full scale civil war, we should fervently hope that Hezbolla doesn't win...

Why?

I'm not saying I'm one way or the other - Sinoria is a puppet and everyone knows it. He has not run the land well, wages are low, prices are high, unions are not too happy with him either. The public wants elections.

This whole thing was sparked by a union protest tp the conditions the Lebanese workers are under. All of the Shia Sunni and Christian alike. Sinoria has been putting off promised election dates, there is very little confindence in his government. So... things happen. I am certainly concerned, the Lebanese people have had it very badly for a long time now, for verying reasons we don't need to discuss here. I hope that elections can be called immediately and a ceasefire and restoration of some kind of peace will ensue.

That said, it doesn't help with Israel and the US meddling around and supporting unpopular leaders - it's not only bad for those under these pseudo dictatorships - but also harms Israel and the US as well.

:(

Again - do you have a clue?

Robert Fisk wrote a great book about Lebanon called "Pity the Nation" It is a chronicle of the invasion of Lebanon by Israel during the late 1980s. While western journalists reported the event from Jerusalem (subject to heavy censorship from the IDF) or Cyprus (basically by hanging around the hotel bar at night), Fisk lived in Beirut throughout the whole sorry mess.

Read Fisk if you want to know what is going on in Lebanon. He is the authority.

Edited by HisSelf

Robert Fisk wrote a great book about Lebanon called "Pity the Nation" It is a chronicle of the invasion of Lebanon by Israel during the late 1980s. While western journalists reported the event from Jerusalem (subject to heavy censorship from the IDF) or Cyprus (basically by hanging around the hotel bar at night), Fisk lived in Beirut throughout the whole sorry mess.

Read Fisk if you want to know what is going on in Lebanon. He is the authority.

You make it sound like he was the only Journo there. He had lots of company in Beirut....even the CBC had a desk there back then.

He is one of many authorities, his opinion being of no greater value than the others.