Happy Birthday Israel

On May 14, 1948, before the expiring of the British Mandate of Palestine on midnight of the May 15, 1948, the State of Israel was proclaimed.

May 15th is the 60th anniversary for the State of Israel, and celebrations will ring out for weeks to come. No stranger to challenges and conflict, there will be time to reflect on the perseverance of the tiny Jewish state against all odds. Others will call for boycotts of birthday / independence day festivities to protest the milestone.

Happy Birthday Israel....and may you have many more.

Don't let any Americans hear you say that...they think Isreal is theirs to bless and keep.

Never been to the US, have you? If you have you'd know what an utterly stupid statement that is.

--------------------------------

Happy Birthday Israel

Guest American Woman

Interesting article-- I think Isaac Herzog sums it up well:

'Israel had only enemies in the region when it was born. It had no international supporters, we were under siege, and no Arab country spoke to us. Now we have diplomatic relations with Qatar, Egypt, Jordan and part of a coalition that wants a two-state solution for the Israelis and the Palestinians. We have forged a country together from a mosaic of people from everywhere. Israel is a success. We survived and thrived in the toughest possible conditions. That has to be something of a miracle.'

Israel has little to celebrate and even in their own press many acknowledge that fact. Just go read Haaretz, or even Ynet or JPost. There is alot for many Israelis to ponder on her 60th birthday, on the 60th of the Nakba as well.

Generally speaking, most of us do some reflecting on our birthdays, thinking of what we have done, achieved and experienced. Hopefully many of us think about how to continue to grow and evolve, to continue to better ourselves as people and gain greater understanding. I hope the Israelis and the Palestinians do this as well, as it is an opposite yet meaningful time for both. Things could be so much better.

I'll think of both people this week and the next - with my heart torn many ways. I will mourn along with the many who have lost so much, but I will also wish the Israeli people peace and well being, and good things for them all to come in the next year, but in the end - as with all of us - the will to make it better can only come from inside each one of us.

Interesting article-- I think Isaac Herzog sums it up well:

'Israel had only enemies in the region when it was born. It had no international supporters, we were under siege, and no Arab country spoke to us. Now we have diplomatic relations with Qatar, Egypt, Jordan and part of a coalition that wants a two-state solution for the Israelis and the Palestinians. We have forged a country together from a mosaic of people from everywhere. Israel is a success. We survived and thrived in the toughest possible conditions. That has to be something of a miracle.'

What a load of self-serving sentimentalized crap. Israel came into existence because of the Balfour Declaration (Britain); it owes its incorporation as a state to the UN, moved by the US and seconded by Russia, and it continues to exist by virtue of its friends in North America.

Get a grip.

What a load of self-serving sentimentalized crap. Israel came into existence because of the Balfour Declaration (Britain); it owes its incorporation as a state to the UN, moved by the US and seconded by Russia, and it continues to exist by virtue of its friends in North America.

Get a grip.

Your point? 60 years old! congrats Israel!!

Guest American Woman

Get a grip.

Perhaps you should "get a grip" yourself, and read the whole article. ;)

Perhaps you should "get a grip" yourself, and read the whole article. ;)

I think it was the part you quoted actually which Hiself was commenting on. The remainder of the article wasn't too bad, as it did recognize the plight of all those displaced and murdered upon the formation of the state in 48. At least the writer, Sam Kiley, does aknowledge this fact, albeit using somewhat questionable and romanticised language.

If you are interested I would recommend reading Ilan Pappe's take on this history - it's not a nicey nice as Mr. Kiley recalls.

Israel has little to celebrate and even in their own press many acknowledge that fact. Just go read Haaretz, or even Ynet or JPost. There is alot for many Israelis to ponder on her 60th birthday, on the 60th of the Nakba as well.

Generally speaking, most of us do some reflecting on our birthdays, thinking of what we have done, achieved and experienced. Hopefully many of us think about how to continue to grow and evolve, to continue to better ourselves as people and gain greater understanding. I hope the Israelis and the Palestinians do this as well, as it is an opposite yet meaningful time for both. Things could be so much better.

I'll think of both people this week and the next - with my heart torn many ways. I will mourn along with the many who have lost so much, but I will also wish the Israeli people peace and well being, and good things for them all to come in the next year, but in the end - as with all of us - the will to make it better can only come from inside each one of us.

Your last two paragraphs were quite eloquent and well said. Your first paragraph is of course presumptious and arrogant. You are in no position to lecture a people who have survived what we Jews have and tell us we should not be proud to have survived and achieved a dream. Its pure arrogance on your behalf to tell us to hate ourselves and be ashamed of what we have achieved.

The second two paragraphs unlike the first are exactly the way to phrase what you wanted to say without having to become judgemental and point the finger and lecture someone they should be ashamed of themselves.

Israelis know damn well that with 60 years comes many things and not all can be celebrated but yes Buffy there is a time and place for self-reflection.

What you fail to mention is that as Israel celebrated its birthday, others commemorated a negative holiday which they refer to as a day of catastrophe and where they still call openly for the removal of all Jews from the Middle East instead of peace between Palestinians and Israelis.

Did you see any Arab League nation dare openly say on its 60th anniversary of Israel's existence, that its time the Arab League take responsibility for what they did by placing Palestinians in refugee camps and in its continuing refusal to recognize Israel and its allow its media to be innundated with anti-semitism?

Yes there is a lot of reflection Israelis and Jews engage in and need to continue engaging in. But for me just as Israel needs to ponder its mistakes and errors, so d the Arab League of Nations and anyone who thinks destroying Israel and killing Jews worldwide until this is achieved is an acceptable premises.

Your last two paragraphs were well said. I appreciated them.

Edited by Rue

Get a grip.

Maybe you need to get a grip before you lecture anyone else. The existence of Israel has nothing to do with the Balfour Declaration which was rejected by the Arab League and forced Jews to fight to create the state of Israel in the first place. In fact the UN's mandate expired and the UN and all nations did not one thing to assist or protect Jews when they were attacked and fought for their lives.

Israel in fact came about despite the UN's silence and not one country on this planet lifted a finger to help Jews in 1948 when they had no choice but to fight for their lives to create Israel. Israel came about with the help of people who acted on their own. In fact the US did not support Israel and did not want it to exist and Roosevelt and FDR were dead against it. It was Elenor Roosevelt in her caopacity as a UN envoy for displaced Jews from the holocaust who played the instrumental role in creating Israel, not the UN and not the US and certainly not Russia. She had to fight the UN and the US to do what she did.

There were also some British soldiers who refused to shoot Jews coming into Israel on beeches and some brave British officers that were reprimanded and severely disciplined that can be remembered as well as

some brave Arab families that gave land and were killed for helping the Jews.

In fact it was France that set up Israel's post office and government systems.

The problem with people like you who are quick to insult others is you aint so pretty that you can afford to tell someone else they are ugly.

Why don't you at least make an effort to read the history you have the audacity to try lecture others about.

Better still take your arrogant negative attitude and tone to Stormfront's web-site. It sounds like it will fit in just fine there,

Edited by Rue

Maybe you need to get a grip before you lecture anyone else. The existence of Israel has nothing to do with the Balfour Declaration which was rejected by the Arab League and forced Jews to fight to create the state of Israel in the first place. In fact the UN's mandate expired and the UN and all nations did not one thing to assist or protect Jews when they were attacked and fought for their lives.

Israel in fact came about despite the UN's silence and not one country on this planet lifted a finger to help Jews in 1948 when they had no choice but to fight for their lives to create Israel. Israel came about with the help of people who acted on their own. In fact the US did not support Israel and did not want it to exist and Roosevelt and FDR were dead against it. It was Elenor Roosevelt in her caopacity as a UN envoy for displaced Jews from the holocaust who played the instrumental role in creating Israel, not the UN and not the US and certainly not Russia. She had to fight the UN and the US to do what she did.

There were also some British soldiers who refused to shoot Jews coming into Israel on beeches and some brave British officers that were reprimanded and severely disciplined that can be remembered as well as

some brave Arab families that gave land and were killed for helping the Jews.

In fact it was France that set up Israel's post office and government systems.

The problem with people like you who are quick to insult others is you aint so pretty that you can afford to tell someone else they are ugly.

Why don't you at least make an effort to read the history you have the audacity to try lecture others about.

Better still take your arrogant negative attitude and tone to Stormfront's web-site. It sounds like it will fit in just fine there,

Often it comes to mind - the idea that Britain and America and Russia way back when..understood the purpose and the power that would be oil. Some one was very visionary when they looked at the middle east back in 1945 and said to themselves..This is the future and the source of energy that produces wealth in the future...lets assist in the creation of Israel and us it as an outpost to maintain the area that is rich in oil...I really can't imagine that a group of rich British guys and Americans actually sat down and said..we had better get a home for those poor Jews..it;s unlikely that they created the accords to assist this group...I would say that the British and American powers that be assisted in the creation of Israel for their own self interests..since when have rich and powerful people cared about others? NEVER. So they just used the Jews.

Never been to the US, have you? If you have you'd know what an utterly stupid statement that is.

--------------------------------

Happy Birthday Israel

Assuming I've never been to the U.S. (or any other part of the world for that matter) without knowing me strikes me as being utterly stupid.

Edited by the janitor