Bill C-51

Greetings to my fellow Canadians. It's sad that my first post has to be about a very nasty topic, however, we need to spread the word!

Canadian Rights and Freedoms are at Risk

An Important Notice Regarding Bill C-51

On April 8th, 2008, the Canadian Minister of Health introduced Bill C-51 into the House of Commons. This Bill proposes significant changes to the current Food and Drugs Act that will have wide-ranging negative implications for Canadians.

Bill C-51 will:

· Remove democratic oversight, bypassing elected officials to vote in laws and allow bureaucrats to adopt laws from other countries without our consent.

· Remove more than 70% of Natural Health Products from Canadians and many others will be available by prescription only.

· Restrict research and development of safe natural alternatives in favor of high risk drugs.

· Punish Canadians with little or no opportunity for protection or recourse for simply speaking about or giving a natural product without the approval of government. More than 70% of people in Canada use a Natural Health Product. The new law goes so far as to warrant action against a person who would give another person an unapproved amount of garlic on the recommendation that it would improve that persons health.

When C-51 becomes law government agents will be able to:

· Enter private property without a warrant

· Take your property at their discretion

· Dispose of your property at will

· Not reimburse you for your losses

· Seize your bank accounts without a warrent

· charge owners shipping and storage charges for seized property

· store your property indefinitely

· levy fines of up to $5,000,000.00 and/or seek 2 years in jail per charge

With your assets and money under their control will you be able to defend yourself in Court?

Can you trust government with this new law and enforcement power?

Would our government really ever turn this law against us? Read the following account.

Example

In 2003 Health Canada launched an attack on a group of mentally ill patients and the company who supported them naturally. They seized shipments of a safe natural therapy required by the patients and stormed the support center with 17 armed officers and agents. The company (Truehope) reported that they lost contact with more than 300 of their Canadian participants. The Canadian Mental Health Association told of suicides as a result of government action.

Health Canada then charged the not for profit company, burdening them with heavy legal costs. Health Canada lost this case. Although the agents admitted knowing they were injuring people through their actions, they continued to enforce policy at the cost of life. And what happened to the more than 300 mentally ill Canadians that became unreachable? In the months and years following, reports of hospitalizations and suicides during the seizures have surfaced. No Health Canada agent has ever been charged.

· Will this new law be used to abuse and punish special interest groups, minorities, religious groups or others?

· Why do bureaucrats want to bypass the Parliament and Senates approval to create new laws?

· Why do bureaucrats want seizure warrants without judge approval ?

· With fines being increased a 1000 times, and seizing authority without a warrant, is Bill C-51 meant to bankrupt and silence its target audience?

Here's what you can do to protect your rights:

Educate Yourself

· Go to http://www.stopc51.com/

· Read a legal discussion on Bill C-51

· Read bill C-51 on http://www.parl.gc.ca

Tell others about it

· Talk to your local Press

· Contact your local MP Click Here

· Ask the leaders in your community to get involved

· Contact your MLA

· Tell your Friends

Get involved

· Print off this fact sheet and hand it out in your neighborhood.

· Attend our rally at the Calgary Federal Court on May 9th 2008. Call 1-888-878-3467 for Details

Federal Court Rally Information

Where: 635 8 Ave SW, Calgary, AB, Canada Federal Court

When: 11:45 AM Friday May 9th

This is a peaceful rally, after which a hearing will be held asking the judge to place restraints on our governments ability to seize property without a warrant. Taking place on the 4th floor at 1:00pm.

Forward this email to all of your concerned friends, family and community leaders.

They came first for the Communists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't be serious, what does this do to Narturopaths, Health stores etc. Do you have any idea how many people in Canada this will effect. This is the most frightening thing that Mr. Harper has tried yet. Boy I hope the people of Canada wake up soon.

Changes to the food and drugs act, for instance this bill will Remove the Democratic oversight, Bypassing Elected official to vote in laws and allow bureaucrats to adopt laws from other counties without our consent

remove more than 70% of Natural Health Product from Canadian and many others will be by prescription only.

Just a couple of things that need addressing

This is a big concern, and of course not being talked about by our presstitutes or so-called politicians (you know they are suppose to represent 'us'!).

This bill, seeks to employ the draconian rules and laws of the nerfarious codex alimentarius. You can read about it here (google link)

In short, it seeks to regulate on a global level all food and drugs - period. The result in many cases has been the devastation of small to middle sized companies who simply cannot afford the level of regularitory fees and purchased liscences in the forms of DINs and such.

It limits what you, as an individual, can prescribe for your own health - vitamins, minerals, herbals and the like will be in some cases supplied only by prescription. Prices will rise as all suppliers must conform to high priced liscening and clinical investigations to support any claim they may make (ex: garlic is good for the blood - must now be supported by clinical evidence, reviewed and liscensed to the cost of the provider - and ultimately the cost of the consumer).

When enacted in Germany not long ago, citizens woke to up find the price of their daily zinc to have risen hundred fold. The same with many other natural alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs and medications. Many smaller herbal houses went out of business - their spots taken over by very large and profitable drug companies.

While I certainly understand the need for standards, doing it this way brings nothing but harm for most and great profit for few.

<sarcasm>And it keeps getting better</sarcasm>

Tories kill Information registry used to hold government accountable

May 02, 2008

Dean Beeby, THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Canadian Press, 2008

OTTAWA - The federal Conservatives have quietly killed a giant information registry that was used by lawyers, academics, journalists and ordinary citizens to hold government accountable.

The registry, created in 1989, is an electronic list of every request filed to all federal departments and agencies under the Access to Information Act.

Known as CAIRS, for Co-ordination of Access to Information Requests System, the database allowed ordinary citizens to identify millions of pages of once-secret documents that became public through individual freedom-of-information requests over many years.

But in a notice last week to civil servants on the Treasury Board website, officials posted an innocuous obituary: effective April 1, 2008, "the requirement to update CAIRS is no longer in effect."

A spokesman for Treasury Board confirmed Friday that the system is being killed because "extensive" consultations showed it was not valued by government departments.

The consultations concluded "the valuable resources currently being used to maintain CAIRS would be better used in the collection and analysis of improved statistical reporting," said Robert Makichuk.

Public Works, which has operated the database, spent $166,000 improving it in 2001. As recently as 2003 federal officials had been working on a publicly accessible, online version.

Monthly paper lists have also been made available since the 1990s for public consultation at a central federal office in Ottawa.

In the meantime, a Canadian academic put the database on his website and opened it to public use, allowing citizens to quickly search thousands of requests for key words.

Alasdair Roberts, a political scientist at Syracuse University in New York, built a version of the database by requesting the CAIRS electronic records through an Access to Information Act request, and updated the site monthly.

CBC journalist David McKie took over the work in 2006 using another publicly accessible website (http://www.onlinedemocracy.ca).

Users searching key words cannot access the documents themselves, only the wording of the original access-to-information request, the date, the department, a file number, and general information about the requester, whether media, business, academic or other.

But by citing that file number, a citizen can approach the appropriate department and request copies of the already released documents.

CAIRS was originally designed as an internal government tool to manage the flow of often embarrassing information. Particularly sensitive requests from news media or opposition politicians would often be red-flagged for special handling that frequently delayed release.

But requesters soon began to mine the database to discover obscure documents, fine-tune the phrasing on new requests, and even to do statistical studies - effectively turning the tool against government.

If departments and agencies are no longer required to update the CAIRS database with new requests, its value as an accountability tool will quickly diminish, critics said.

"This is terrible and I consider this to be yet one more step in making records less accessible," said Michel Drapeau, a lawyer, frequent user and co-author of a standard reference work on access law.

"To do this now after the CAIRS' usefulness has been proven over and over again is indicative of the extent to which government will go to stifle the access regime."

New Democrat MP Dawn Black, whose office uses the database regularly, condemned the Tories for shutting down the system.

"It's another example of the Harper government's talk about accountability and transparency - they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk."

The Conservative government has a mixed record in the area of freedom of information. The Federal Accountability Act broadened the access legislation to cover new entities, such as the CBC, Via Rail, Canada Post and even the Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada, who's the ombudsman for the system.

At the same time, long delays for responses, along with heavy censorship of documents, have become endemic.

The number of complaints received by the information commissioner in 2007-2008, for example, soared to 2,387 - more than 1,000 higher than the previous year. The level is the second-highest on record, next to the 2,821 received in 1988 - 2,242 of those from a single complainant.

If our government were truly interested in crafting some effective regulation that is in the best interest of the folks to whom they are supposed to be beholden and whom pay their salaries, it would be something like this:

1) The contents of the container are exactly as laid out on the label.

2) The contents of the container are of pre-defined acceptable quality.

3) Any claims made by the manufacturer must be backed up by independent study.

4) There are penalties in place for not adhering to 1 & 2 & 3.

The responsibility for proper consumption should be placed back on the consumer. There is too much "passing of the buck" when it comes to personal responsibility. Google would provide a great starting point for folks looking to get information on herbal remedies.

There, plain and simple.

This bill is so insane, there can only be two motivations IMHO:

1) Canada is now truly run by the corporate complex

2) They want to use this as an election trigger

SIDE NOTE: Tony Clement is a 1/4 quarter equity holder in a major pharma company (whose name is escaping me at the moment sadly)...can you say conflict of interest?!?

If our government were truly interested in crafting some effective regulation that is in the best interest of the folks to whom they are supposed to be beholden and whom pay their salaries, it would be something like this:

The responsibility for proper consumption should be placed back on the consumer. There is too much "passing of the buck" when it comes to personal responsibility. Google would provide a great starting point for folks looking to get information on herbal remedies.

There, plain and simple.

SIDE NOTE: Tony Clement is a 1/4 quarter equity holder in a major pharma company (whose name is escaping me at the moment sadly)...can you say conflict of interest?!?

Here is a good primer on the codex alimentarius.

Important to understand wrt this bill.

I wonder if Charles can combine these two threads on C-51?

Or, Soccerdad - you could put your links and comments into this one and he could close it?

Seems silly to have two thread titles the same, and on the exact same subject - although of course this IS a VERY important matter.

There, plain and simple.

Dear little Tony is my MP, guess what he doesn't like me much.

I wonder if Charles can combine these two threads on C-51?

Or, Soccerdad - you could put your links and comments into this one and he could close it?

Seems silly to have two thread titles the same, and on the exact same subject - although of course this IS a VERY important matter.

Hey BuffyCat! I'm kewl with whatever works forum wise. My only concern is bringing up awareness with this evil bill.

Well, when I came on here I was peeved off at the Cons now that I've read about their view against natural medications I"M PISSED!!!!! Sorry there's no other word for it! They are also going to close down the 850,000 rural postal deliveries across this country. Now this shows they do not care about Canadians and even some of the Con supporters get their mail by delivery. The only way to stop all of this is an election and throw those guys out and let them seat on the other side!!! I can not take alot of the man made medications and so I NEED the natural way. I don't think the Cons realize how this may just back-fire back on them because now they are hurting Canadians and they are going to lose votes for sure, bring on the election Dion!

And of course, where are the opposition parties?

Like Buffy Cat says its all a charade.

Health Canada started initiating this when the "opposition" Liberals were in power. Parliament seems to have had very little to do with this until now, the rubber stamp phase. The US health and drug authorities have been doing the same thing. I had a long discussion with my MP Conservative James Lunney who also happens to be chiropracter. He was against this move by Health Canada at the time. I sell powdered kelp in capsules, or I did. The difference between selling dried kelp blades in a bag or dried kelp powder in a capsule is 10,s of thousands of dollars in testing, analysing, licence application fees, registration fees, licence fees blah blah blah. I wasn't making any claims or promising it would cure your goiters all I wanted to do was give some people what they wanted, kelp in a capsule not in a bag.

The market was demanding and I was supplying...

If our politicians don't have control of Health Canada who does? The same people who are trying to control the so-called free market? There's the biggest charade of all.

Greetings to my fellow Canadians. It's sad that my first post has to be about a very nasty topic, however, we need to spread the word!

Canadian Rights and Freedoms are at Risk

An Important Notice Regarding Bill C-51

On April 8th, 2008, the Canadian Minister of Health introduced Bill C-51 into the House of Commons. This Bill proposes significant changes to the current Food and Drugs Act that will have wide-ranging negative implications for Canadians.

Bill C-51 will:

· Remove democratic oversight, bypassing elected officials to vote in laws and allow bureaucrats to adopt laws from other countries without our consent.

· Remove more than 70% of Natural Health Products from Canadians and many others will be available by prescription only.

· Restrict research and development of safe natural alternatives in favor of high risk drugs.

· Punish Canadians with little or no opportunity for protection or recourse for simply speaking about or giving a natural product without the approval of government. More than 70% of people in Canada use a Natural Health Product. The new law goes so far as to warrant action against a person who would give another person an unapproved amount of garlic on the recommendation that it would improve that persons health.

When C-51 becomes law government agents will be able to:

· Enter private property without a warrant

· Take your property at their discretion

· Dispose of your property at will

· Not reimburse you for your losses

· Seize your bank accounts without a warrent

· charge owners shipping and storage charges for seized property

· store your property indefinitely

· levy fines of up to $5,000,000.00 and/or seek 2 years in jail per charge

With your assets and money under their control will you be able to defend yourself in Court?

Can you trust government with this new law and enforcement power?

Would our government really ever turn this law against us? Read the following account.

Example

In 2003 Health Canada launched an attack on a group of mentally ill patients and the company who supported them naturally. They seized shipments of a safe natural therapy required by the patients and stormed the support center with 17 armed officers and agents. The company (Truehope) reported that they lost contact with more than 300 of their Canadian participants. The Canadian Mental Health Association told of suicides as a result of government action.

Health Canada then charged the not for profit company, burdening them with heavy legal costs. Health Canada lost this case. Although the agents admitted knowing they were injuring people through their actions, they continued to enforce policy at the cost of life. And what happened to the more than 300 mentally ill Canadians that became unreachable? In the months and years following, reports of hospitalizations and suicides during the seizures have surfaced. No Health Canada agent has ever been charged.

· Will this new law be used to abuse and punish special interest groups, minorities, religious groups or others?

· Why do bureaucrats want to bypass the Parliament and Senates approval to create new laws?

· Why do bureaucrats want seizure warrants without judge approval ?

· With fines being increased a 1000 times, and seizing authority without a warrant, is Bill C-51 meant to bankrupt and silence its target audience?

Here's what you can do to protect your rights:

Educate Yourself

· Go to http://www.stopc51.com/

· Read a legal discussion on Bill C-51

· Read bill C-51 on http://www.parl.gc.ca

Tell others about it

· Talk to your local Press

· Contact your local MP Click Here

· Ask the leaders in your community to get involved

· Contact your MLA

· Tell your Friends

Get involved

· Print off this fact sheet and hand it out in your neighborhood.

· Attend our rally at the Calgary Federal Court on May 9th 2008. Call 1-888-878-3467 for Details

Federal Court Rally Information

Where: 635 8 Ave SW, Calgary, AB, Canada Federal Court

When: 11:45 AM Friday May 9th

This is a peaceful rally, after which a hearing will be held asking the judge to place restraints on our governments ability to seize property without a warrant. Taking place on the 4th floor at 1:00pm.

Forward this email to all of your concerned friends, family and community leaders.

Sounds almost as bad as the old Bill C-68

No one squawked then - so why should I bother now?

Borg

As one of the Libs pointed out in the question period past, the minister of health holds a large investments in the drug companies and this is a conflict of interest. The drug companies know that people are going to the natural way of their health because Canadians have to take care of their own health since many don't have a doctor to go to, so they go to a natural doctor.

Yes there has been a huge increase in Canadians using alternative health methods. I myself, have a touchy stomach and was prescribed a drug, that was expensive but absolutley useless, I found a good one, on the advise of my sister in law, use slipper elm and guess what we have a tree in our yard. But I buy it at the health food store because it is easier.

The Drug companies must be having a fit over the loss of revenue with so many finding thier own help.

Edited by margrace

Y'know, when you posted the blatherings of this witless twit without comment my first thought was it was there for amusement value.

Which, by the way, it has served as for me. LOL.

But it has an educational value too! I mean, I thought fascism was about butchering people by the train load. And now I discover it's merely about banning phony "natural" remedies.

Who'd a thunk it!? I guess fascists aren't such a bad lot, after all. Thanks for educating me.

Hello Friend! Only 22 posts until the first flame bait/forum trolling; not bad for a political forum! You need to tackle a wee bit of self education on the term Fascism as your previous definition is only a result, not the concept itself. And, umm, the post was made in order to get comment and discussion going which is why I posted with none initially.

I'll bite, nothing like a little flame retardant for a Saturday night. Sadly, it's folks like yourself that perpetuate and fuel the behaviour of our current governing body. Comments like

And now I discover it's merely about banning phony "natural" remedies.
within the context of your entire post indicate that you are a self centered individual who is not concerned all at about anything unless it has a direct impact on you. At that point, you will prolly wail like a child and bang the drums of injustice. You obviously have no concerns for our rights and freedoms as your completely sarcastic post points out. And hey, guess what? I've never taken a natural remedy in my life...hmm, can't even say I've been to a health store. I do however, have friends and family that require these types of medications for their daily well being, and for them, and for my own personal freedom(s), I'm willing to fight legislation such as this; are you?

I appreciate your comments, but will not waste any more of my time with you.

Have a great evening!

Be well my sad little friend, SD

Hello Friend! Only 22 posts until the first flame bait/forum trolling

Uhm, no, actually the very first post was flamebait. Surely no one would be idiotic enough to think comparing the Tories to Fascists because they're trying to reform the law on natural health care remedies was anything but?

Oh I know you've got the perpetually shrill old women here wailing away and gnashing their teeth in horror at the prospect of a bill none of them have likely ever heard about, but those of us who have an IQ above the level of codfish tend to look askance at any post which starts out comparing the government to fascists because of herbal remedies.

Sadly, it's folks like yourself that perpetuate and fuel the behaviour of our current governing body

Why thanks. I do my best. God knows they're a lot better than those perpetually self-righteous types in opposition.

You obviously have no concerns for our rights and freedoms

I've been a member of the Canadian Civil Liberties Organization for some years now and contribute monthly. I just don't get my panties in a knot at every little bill which comes up.