They have found Hell, it's in a basement in Austria

This is possibly the most disgusting thing i've read in my entire life. From the BBC:

“A 73-year-old Austrian is under arrest on suspicion of hiding his daughter in a cellar for 24 years and fathering seven children with her, police say.

The existence of the woman, believed missing since 1984 and now 42, emerged after a teenage child fell ill and had to be taken to hospital.

Both the woman and teenage girl are receiving medical treatment and the other children are in care.

A police investigation in Amstetten, Lower Austria Province, is continuing.

The suspect, named only as Josef F, was arrested on suspicion of incest and keeping his daughter in captivity. He has not responded to the charges against him, police say.

One of the children the man allegedly fathered died in infancy, police believe.

Three children, including the 19-year-old, were allegedly kept in the cellar with their mother while the other three reportedly grew up with their grandparents.”

[…]

“The mother, named as Elisabeth F, has been receiving medical and psychological treatment since being discovered.

She appeared “greatly disturbed” psychologically during questioning and agreed to talk only after authorities assured her that she would no longer have to have contact with her father, and that her children would be taken care of, police added.

The six children are three boys and three girls aged between five and 20.

Police spokesman Franz Polzer told reporters they had been taken to a safe location.

“They are all in psychological care in a secure institution in a clinic here in this area,” he said.

“They are being cared for individually - those between 12 and 16 years of age who grew up with their grandparents, and two boys who, when they came out yesterday with their mother, saw the daylight for the first time in their lives.”

The three children who grew up with their grandparents were left at birth outside the house, the first accompanied by a note from Elisabeth in which she said she could not care for the baby herself.”

[…]

“She said she had been sexually abused by her father since the age of 11.

Josef allegedly lured her into the cellar of their house in Amstetten on 28 August 1984, drugging and handcuffing her before locking her up.

It was assumed she had disappeared voluntarily when her parents received a letter from her asking them not to search for her.

“Abused continuously during the 24-year-long imprisonment”, Elisabeth bore six children while a seventh, one of a set of twins, died soon after birth.

The dead baby was allegedly taken out of the cellar and burnt by Josef.

Elisabeth said Josef had provided her and three of her children, who were locked up along with her, with clothing and food.

His wife Rosemarie had allegedly not been aware of what was going on.

The discovery of another Austrian woman, who was held captive in a cellar by an abductor for more than eight years, gripped the country in 2006.”

What can you say about something like this??

This is possibly the most disgusting thing i've read in my entire life. From the BBC:

What can you say about something like this??

This is without a doubt one of the most shocking examples of depravity I have seen and just when I think I have seen it all. To lock a women in a basement for over 20 years and forcefully rape her into 7 or whatever incestuous child offspring all trapped with her I mean holy cow. There are no words for it. None.

What's absolutely unbelievable is his wife's claim not to have known about it.

You know Amerc Gal, for me when we hear of these things, that is what always gets me, the neighbours never knew, the wife never knew, no one ever knows. Its amazing just how much depravity goes on and we are oblivious to it. I mean am I to believe the guy two doors down from me could be another Paul Bernardo? Would I know? Would I know if he is raping his wife? I mean I just don't know anymore.

What's absolutely unbelievable is his wife's claim not to have known about it.

How is that possible? He dug out and built this dungeon, one chamber at a time, put in furniture and fixtures, plumbing, wiring. He had to have spent hours and hours and hours at it, plus moving all kinds of stuff through the house. His wife never asked him what he was doing down there? Never went down and looked around and wondered where he'd installed that new toilet and shower? Never looked for him and couldn't find him anywhere even though he'd gone downstairs and the car was still in the driveway? How stupid could you be?

The man wasn't depraved. He was simply crazy.

I heard the report on Global about this story and they said the worst he could get is 15 years for what he's done. I'm sorry, but he should get the chair.

Argus, I don't believe that kind of planning and forethought could be done by someone who is crazy. At any rate, it wouldn't matter to the chair.

Edited by sharkman

You're probably right, Guyser, it won't be the last time, and that is partially what makes this so disturbing. Where else is this happening right under the noses of the rest of us? This poor woman was victimized from childhood, and no one noticed.

two boys who, when they came out yesterday with their mother, saw the daylight for the first time in their lives.

I read in a different report that these two boys were 18 and 19, and there was a 5 year old as well who had never been out of the basement. Imagine being 19 years old and never having left that windowless basement dungeon. I don't know how these kids can even adjust to life above the ground, particularly the two older ones.

I find it really hard to believe no one else knew about this. The wife must have had some idea that something was going on - why did they keep "finding" children to raise? Didn't she ever hear the other children who were locked up in her basement? But then, I wonder what her life was like, married to this guy. Pure speculation at this point, but I'd be willing to bet he wasn't husband of the year material.

The chair would be too good for him. Drawn and quartered would be most appropriate. In any case, 15 years would mean he dies in jail.

Everything you can think of has already been done by someone, somewhere.

I can see members board are overreacting to journalistic sensationalism, a product that feeds the emotions.

This man is nothing more than a sadistic, psychopath and will be dealt with in the same manner as hundreds of thousands of other types of criminal cases.

At least he was caught.

I can see members board are overreacting to journalistic sensationalism, a product that feeds the emotions.

12 posts, (13 including mine) is hardly overreacting.

Now if this story was somehow conected to the US or canadian military.....then there would be overreacting

And I can see that you're under reacting to it. This guy kept her captive for twenty years, fathered many children by her and then deprived the children of a life. Fifteen years doesn't cut it. More appropriate would be to lock him in a windowless basement for at the very least twenty years.

Guest American Woman
You know Amerc Gal, for me when we hear of these things, that is what always gets me, the neighbours never knew, the wife never knew, no one ever knows. Its amazing just how much depravity goes on and we are oblivious to it. I mean am I to believe the guy two doors down from me could be another Paul Bernardo? Would I know? Would I know if he is raping his wife? I mean I just don't know anymore.

I know what you're saying and I agree with you, but it's one thing not to know about the guy two doors down-- and that would be shocking enough but understandable if you didn't know; but to be married to the person, and especially to be living in the house where all this was going on and not know about, it is just plain unbelievable.

I've got to agree with what Argus said; he summed it up well.

And as for what Sharkman posted regarding his possible sentence-- Fifteen years max sure does sound like a lenient sentence for what he did.

I know what you're saying and I agree with you, but it's one thing not to know about the guy two doors down-- and that would be shocking enough but understandable if you didn't know; but to be married to the person, and especially to be living in the house where all this was going on and not know about, it is just plain unbelievable.

I've got to agree with what Argus said; he summed it up well.

And as for what Sharkman posted regarding his possible sentence-- Fifteen years max sure does sound like a lenient sentence for what he did.

Maybe he sent the wife away to visit her Mother while he built the torture chamber. As well, she may also have been suffering the beaten wife syndrome. Complete submission due to extreme fear and indoctrination. If this is the case, she probably may have suspected something but would have suppressed any urge to investigate or even let the thought fully manifest itself in her mind. These women live strictly in the "here and now" for survival purposes. They have no energy or will to think deeper or act out against their perp. Their existence relies soley on them keeping their own heads above water and trying to out think their perp every minute of their waking moments. Like walking on eggshells 24 hours per day. Hard to fathom, if you've never experienced it.

Edited by Carinthia

Maybe he sent the wife away to visit her Mother while he built the torture chamber. As well, she may also have been suffering the beaten wife syndrome. Complete submission due to extreme fear and indoctrination. If this is the case, she probably may have suspected something but would have suppressed any urge to investigate or even let the thought fully manifest itself in her mind. These women live strictly in the "here and now" for survival purposes. They have no energy or will to think deeper or act out against their perp. Their existence relies soley on them keeping their own heads above water and trying to out think their perp every minute of their waking moments. Like walking on eggshells 24 hours per day. Hard to fathom, if you've never experienced it.

Your second point is one that I've thought of myself. It would appear to be the most likely.

Even if he sent her to her mothers she'd still have to know what he was doing. Those kinds of projects require lots of work and noise and debris, he simply could not have done it with her in the house and not knowing. If he sent her away it would have to be for quite a long time. According to what I've seen he actually dug out rooms. No way she could have missed cubic yards of material being removed. That doesn't even touch on the subject of the fittings, it's not like he could sneak past her with a shower stall stuffed down his pants. Then there's the electrical and plumbing issues. As well, he would have to constantly provide food, clothes, toiletries, that kind of thing. She had to know.

As mentioned in your second point, she probably does suffer beaten woman syndrome. Self preservation and fear most likely compelled her to turn a blind eye and pretend it wasn't happening. They published a shot of this guy and perhaps I'm biased but I have to say that he looks like a real bastard to me. From whats been printed it looks like he was a totall authoritarian and ruled a harsh rule over the household.

The thing I still cant get my head around is the sheer calculating malice of this man. His daughter was what, 20 years old when he imprissoned her. He raised her then decided to enslave her, calculating how best to do it, right down to the letter asking them not to look for her. Its hard for me to picture this guy as human. People do vile things to each other, true, but for a father to do this is beyond the pale.

Its hard for me to picture this guy as human. People do vile things to each other, true, but for a father to do this is beyond the pale.

Sociopaths. Self gratification at any cost. They have no conscience. Manipulative controllers.

Once they figure out how to stay on the right side of the law, they enter politics. And most are highly successful!

Edited by Carinthia

News sources today say the children involved speak in a self made language of growls and coos, although they can talk somewhat which they learned from a tv in their dungeon. One child prefers to crawl though he can walk, and they suffer from weakened immune systems, vitamin D deficiency, and cramped postures.

One child, upon seeing the moon for the first time asked if that was God up there.