Abortion as Art?

For senior, Abortion a medium for Art, political discourse

Art major Aliza Shvarts ’08 wants to make a statement. Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

This woman is IMO, mentally ill - on perhaps a variety of levels.

Truly mind-boggling to say the least. How could this 'project' even be allowed? Anyone who deliberately gets herself pregnant - knowing that she already intends to abort the fetus, over and over again is in need of some serious intervention, along with a padded cell and a flashy straight jacket. Now, her bloody 'miscarriages' will be displayed for all to see:

The display of Schvarts' project will feature a large cube suspended from the ceiling of a room in the gallery of Green Hall. Schvarts will wrap hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting around this cube; lined between layers of the sheeting will be the blood from Schvarts' self-induced miscarriages mixed with Vaseline in order to prevent the blood from drying and to extend the blood throughout the plastic sheeting.

Schvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room.

Sick, beyond words... unflippen'believable.

I don't think it matters whether one is pro-choice or pro-life - any thinking human should find what this girl did to be morally reprehensible on all levels.

So, what say all of you - is this ART????

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this true? I find this hard to believe that anyone would do this or that a school would allow this to happen at all.

Even if abortion is legal this is just morally and ethically wrong on so many levels.

Sad.

Edited by Qwerty

C'mon now, isn't the "right to choose" a beautiful thing? Let's celebrate the termination of "unwanted" preganancies with artistic expression. We already put the photos on highway ad signs.

Reality art is in these days...dontcha know! :lol:

Who do you think puts those pictures of aborted fetuses on billboards?

I do a marketing campaign for a pro-life society... and *surprise*! they are the ones who put the pictures there... but of course you knew that, you just like stirring the pot -- and that is why no one ever takes your posts seriously.

:lol:

I do a marketing campaign for a pro-life society... and *surprise*! they are the ones who put the pictures there... but of course you knew that, you just like stirring the pot -- and that is why no one ever takes your posts seriously.

:lol:

Drea, surely, even you cannot think this a good idea.

I understand you're a feminist and all that jazz but this goes too far right?

Crowds are getting used to pretty much anything these days and it's becoming seriously tough to make an artistic statement that would create a splash. The way things are going, we're going to see more of increasingly bizzare "art". There's no limit to artistic imagination...

Apparently, it was a hoax.

According to a statement released by the University today, Aliza Shvarts ’08 was never impregnated. She never miscarried. The sweeping outrage on blogs across the country was apparently for naught.

The supposed senior art project of the Davenport College senior was a “creative fiction,” a Yale official said Thursday afternoon as students on campus and bloggers across the country expressed colossal outrage over what Shvarts described as a documentation of a nine-month process during which she claimed to have artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking “abortifacient drugs” to induce miscarriages.

“The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body,” Yale spokeswoman Helaine Klasky said in a written statement e-mailed to the News this afternoon.

laugh.gif

I don't think Drea was stating support for this aberration. I think she was merely pointing out who pays for the billboards.

C'mon now, isn't the "right to choose" a beautiful thing? Let's celebrate the termination of "unwanted" preganancies with artistic expression. We already put the photos on highway ad signs.

Reality art is in these days...dontcha know! :lol:

Even though this has been proven to be a hoax, what does it have to do with the right too choose?

This chick is still obviously mentally ill to even think of such a stunt!

No, I applaud her creativity even as a hoax. Abortions are beautiful.....right?

Of course not.. :huh:

What would make you even write such a thing?

Who ever said they were? Hmmm?

Go ahead and applaud her 'creativity'. Personally I think the chick has some serious mental issues. But hey, you're free to applaud whoever you want!

:rolleyes:

Shock me shock me with your deviant behaviour.

This kind of transgressive third rate, postfeminist "art" a dime a dozen in contemporary art circles. It's a joke, it's boring. Oooh: period blood. Yawn.

Kudos to the "artist" for pushing the right buttons to get her crappy work noticed.

And b_c2004: abortions aren't anymore beautiful than appendectomies or hernia surgeries. It's a medical procedure.

buffycat:

It stands to reason that if a woman has a right to choose whether or not to have an abortion, she can choose to have an abortion under whatever circumstances she wants. It's either an absolute right or it's not.

Drea, surely, even you cannot think this a good idea.

I understand you're a feminist and all that jazz but this goes too far right?

You don't get it do you?

Pro-Choice is FOR abortion

Pro-Life (should be called Anti-Choice, imo) is AGAINST abortion

The Pro-Lifers are the ones who put up the offensive photographs hoping that it will stop a woman from aborting.

I think it's a terrible idea personally. But as I work for them (they contract me) I get a sign built that says whatever they want.

Even though I don't agree, it's not my place to say whether they are right or wrong and lose a big contract!

buffycat:

It stands to reason that if a woman has a right to choose whether or not to have an abortion, she can choose to have an abortion under whatever circumstances she wants. It's either an absolute right or it's not.

I understand that. I support that right as well.

That said, I don't think too many women would choose the artist's method...

This kind of transgressive third rate, postfeminist "art" a dime a dozen in contemporary art circles. It's a joke, it's boring. Oooh: period blood. Yawn

Yuck, are they really a dime a dozen in contemporary art circles? Gosh, no wonder I don't attend...:P

You don't get it do you?

Pro-Choice is FOR abortion

Pro-Life (should be called Anti-Choice, imo) is AGAINST abortion

The Pro-Lifers are the ones who put up the offensive photographs hoping that it will stop a woman from aborting.

I think it's a terrible idea personally. But as I work for them (they contract me) I get a sign built that says whatever they want.

Even though I don't agree, it's not my place to say whether they are right or wrong and lose a big contract!

On the contrary Drea, I understand perfectly.

I am a grown man not a child...lol.

I was wondering what the official bra burning, feminist, nut squashing stance was on this.

Thanks for your reply.

And b_c2004: abortions aren't anymore beautiful than appendectomies or hernia surgeries. It's a medical procedure.

But if you need one or want one, they are beautiful too. Nothing finer than a beautiful medical procedure..no suh!

Plus abortions are a right....which adds even more beauty.

Does this trolling have a purpose?

Does your question about trolling have a purpose? Isn't that an oxymoron?

See My Controls > Options > Manage Ignored Users

Now...back to the topic: Abortion Art was a mainstay of Pro-Life ad campaigns, but it proved to be counter productive in most cases, so they had to tone it down. Gave new meaning to the concept of "hard-core". Now they are more subtle....maybe just showing the tools for "vacuum aspiration" with a photo of a newborn.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm wondering what your point is and why you waste everyone's time with such fatuous rubbish.

Those who understand my point do not have to wonder, others should just move on. If you are opposed to graphic depictions of the human condition in any political light, then keep your lights off.

The only one who can waste your time is you.

On the contrary Drea, I understand perfectly.

I am a grown man not a child...lol.

I was wondering what the official bra burning, feminist, nut squashing stance was on this.

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I said:

I think it's a terrible idea personally.

This line is in reference to the "art", not the abortion itself.

Sorry Qwerty, but from you post, it sounded like you didn't realize that it was the prolife society that put up the photos of aborted fetuses on billboards.

My official bra-burning-feminist-nut squashing stance is:

It is a woman's choice.

Abortion should be limited to the first trimester except in extreme circumstances.

If a woman decides to keep the child she should inform the man. If he is unwilling to be part of the child's life, he should be free to not pay child support.

Edited by Drea