Non-muslims barred from swimming lessons in British leisure center

bussers clean up; you won't find anyone under 18 at the cash.

And your point is? I believe the erroneous statement you made was:

Alcohol is a provincial jurisdiction, I've lived in four Canadian provinces and not one would permit a minor working where alcohol is being sold or served.

which as I said is not true.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muslim women cover their faces for a reason, I haven't seen many Pakistani women worthy of my gaze. :ph34r:

Who cares? Maybe you have little or no taste in women....or maybe you prefer men...in anycase your taste isn't revelent.

Imagine the outcry from the Muslim community had the "modesty session" been for Anglicans only. A separate session for men, women, or children is understandable; however, considering this is a publicly funded amenity discrimination on the grounds of religion is illegal. Had someone prevented a Muslim from entering the pool they probably would have been held accountable.
This news report has been floating around the Internet for several days if not weeks now.

Many pools have many rules about what you can and cannot do, and what you can and cannot wear. For example, some pools require swim caps, some pools restrict users by age or for swimming lengths. This pool discriminates by sex and by clothing. For certain times, men alone are allowed to use the pool if wearing long swim suits. It is understandable that the pool clerk might refer to this as "Muslim Men" time but clearly any man could go then if properly attired.

I don't see any difference between this and a rule requiring swim caps. The world is a big place and if there is any hope for humanity, then we'll have to learn to get along with many different people.

Yes but they cannot serve it themselves until they are 18 years old. They are restricted to clearing empty glasses.

So? That wasn't what was claimed. The claim was they couldn't work in a place that served alcohol.

The legislation was only changed recently to allow minors to work as bussers; I have not hung around bars in over twenty-five years. Back to the issue of Muslims demanding special status. They have refused to allow seeing eye dogs into cabs because their religion deems dogs unclean; female Muslim doctors are refusing to follow hospital protocol when it comes to washing before surgery because their religion demands modesty from its women; and, Muslims have refused to handle pork or alcohol when customers check out at a supermarket. Western nations have a separation between Church and State. It was not always this way. I grew up in Quebec at the end of an era when the Catholic Church ruled the province with an iron fist. The Quiet Revolution in the 1960's ended it. People who work at jobs that serve the public have no right to force their religious values on other individuals. That is exactly what they are doing when another employee has to stop what it is doing to cover for a Muslim. I have also served in the Middle East and the last thing I want to see is our society dragged down to the level of theirs. At present our Muslim population is small compared to European countries, once the Muslim population starts to approach 10 percent we will experience the same violent rioting the Europeans have had to deal with these past few years. Forty years ago, Lebanon was a predominantly Christian nation and the jewel of the Middle East, it is not any longer thanks to its Muslim population. Fourteen hundred years ago, every nation bordering on the Mediterranean was Christian thanks to Muslim marauders most of them are not today. Spain only rid itself of its Muslim problem a couple of decades before Columbus discovered America

Edited by WarBicycle

present our Muslim population is small compared to European countries, once the Muslim population starts to approach 10 percent we will experience the same violent rioting the Europeans have had to deal with these past few years.

Bet you we won't.

Fourteen hundred years ago, every nation bordering on the Mediterranean was Christian thanks to Muslim marauders most of them are not today.

Fourteen hundreds years ago, every nation in North America was non-Christian and that all changed thanks to Christian marauders.

Spain only rid itself of its Muslim problem a couple of decades before Columbus discovered America

And nothing bad ever happened there again, right?

Fourteen hundreds years ago, every nation in North America was non-Christian and that all changed thanks to Christian marauders.

Actually, the Christians were quite late to the game of "marauding" in North America. The indigenous people could violently change things all by themselves thank-you very much, and often did.

Not to be insulting, but what a stupid answer.

Dead is dead, doesn't matter if its a pointy stick or thermo nuclear blast, dead is still dead.

A stupid statement warrants an equally facile response. Nobody is suggesting relations among North America's native population were all sweetness and light, but to suggest the intertribal warfare that was a fixture of life in pre-contact Americas is the equivilant to the European colonization is ridiculous. It's like saying the U.S. invasion of Greneda is the same as the battle of the Somme.

Edited by Black Dog

Thanks to Charles Anthony for being on the job.

Religious discrimination is a crock. This may happen in Britain, but if it happens here, I think you would see a major outcry, no matter what the religion might be.

Oops. Thinking about this a bit more... Wasn't there a problem in Montreal with a religious group that forced the YWCA to cover its windows so the religious people would not be offended by the site of female bodies in exercise gear?

Edited by HisSelf

Thanks to Charles Anthony for being on the job.

Religious discrimination is a crock. This may happen in Britain, but if it happens here, I think you would see a major outcry, no matter what the religion might be.

Oops. Thinking about this a bit more... Wasn't there a problem in Montreal with a religious group that forced the YWCA to cover its windows so the religious people would not be offended by the site of female bodies in exercise gear?

Yeah, I remember that.

Fundies are all the same, IMO no group has the corner of the market on being assholes.

The above link is another example of Muslims using their religion to take advantage of a situation;

Actually it isn't. Barring Israelis is a different ballgame than barring Jews. ie - I'd have no problem flying to Dubai, but if I bothered to get my Israeli citizenship, it'd be a different story.

As for the original post, it has nothing to do with religion, after all, the article states:

"However, Dr Taj Hargey, chair of the Muslim Education Centre of Oxford, said it was not true that Muslims could not swim with non-Muslims.

"There is no Koranic verse or any statement from the sources of Islam that says different religions should be segregated," he said. "

Seems to me that the problem is bigotry and ignorance, something that Muslims and non-Muslims in the UK both have in ample amount. People should stop pointing fingers and look in the mirror more often.

Actually it isn't. Barring Israelis is a different ballgame than barring Jews. ie - I'd have no problem flying to Dubai, but if I bothered to get my Israeli citizenship, it'd be a different story.

As for the original post, it has nothing to do with religion, after all, the article states:

"However, Dr Taj Hargey, chair of the Muslim Education Centre of Oxford, said it was not true that Muslims could not swim with non-Muslims.

"There is no Koranic verse or any statement from the sources of Islam that says different religions should be segregated," he said. "

Seems to me that the problem is bigotry and ignorance, something that Muslims and non-Muslims in the UK both have in ample amount. People should stop pointing fingers and look in the mirror more often.

My family had the unfortunate experience of having to live in old suburban east Toronto for a couple of years. My youngest son who grew up in a semi-rural neighbourhood...had the privledge of going to what amounted to the remants of the old white Christian culture...but - in this new urban school he was the only white kid in the class..talk about culture shock - he adjusted - BUT there was no real equality there - just silly segragational liberal inclusiveness..

The Muslim kids were given a prayer room - and they would use the school wash room to perform their washing ritual. My son stumbled into the washroom and was confronted by some good old fashioned hate of so-called infidels - HIM ! One Muslim kid told my son that his feet were cleaner than his face or the top of his head..insinuating that my son was some unclean secular filth ridden barbarian - that he was an inferiour. This is the moment that made me think that SOME Muslims actually hate us and hold us in comtempt- If the Muslim kid looked upon my blue eyed blonde boy as a dirt bag - well I wonder what the Muslim parents are teaching their kids in the home regarding us infidels. There was a time when Jews were excluded from beachings and swimming pools because they were considered unclean by so-called Christian based peoples. I suppose that the segragationalist Muslims look upon us like the bigots of the past looked upon the Jews...

Looking forward into the not so distant future - IF the Muslims dominate North America religiously and politically - is it a matter of time before some nut extremist Muslim make the drastic decision to Holocaust all Christians - Being an old beliver myself it makes me uneasy - when logic dictates that in a hundred years these lunitics will be buring Christians - thank God that the real Christians are a hidden group - so folks - keep your heads low and hold your ground - this nation was built on the doctrines of Christ - NOT Mohamid---if Mohamid was so great then our Muslim immigrants would have stayed in their nations of origin - I guess that perphaps it was not all that civilized or prosperous where they came from or they would not be here! Christiantity created stablity and build the British - Canadian and American empires - that we so enjoy today. What does a Muslim state like Saudi Arabia have to offer? Not much other than torment and oppression - Segragationalist that are Muslims should give it some thought - that it was the grace of the Christian mind that open the door and saved their asses..ingrates!

What a mountain out of a molehill.

go ahead - keep demonizing, keep dividing - it works so well for all ills.

ridiculous.

So easy and convenient to judge folk based on whatever religious, ethnic, or racial affiliation they my share through the arbritrary happenstance of BIRTH.

Utter sick junk.

My family had the unfortunate experience of having to live in old suburban east Toronto for a couple of years. My youngest son who grew up in a semi-rural neighbourhood...had the privledge of going to what amounted to the remants of the old white Christian culture...but - in this new urban school he was the only white kid in the class..talk about culture shock - he adjusted - BUT there was no real equality there - just silly segragational liberal inclusiveness..

The Muslim kids were given a prayer room - and they would use the school wash room to perform their washing ritual. My son stumbled into the washroom and was confronted by some good old fashioned hate of so-called infidels - HIM ! One Muslim kid told my son that his feet were cleaner than his face or the top of his head..insinuating that my son was some unclean secular filth ridden barbarian - that he was an inferiour. This is the moment that made me think that SOME Muslims actually hate us and hold us in comtempt- If the Muslim kid looked upon my blue eyed blonde boy as a dirt bag - well I wonder what the Muslim parents are teaching their kids in the home regarding us infidels. There was a time when Jews were excluded from beachings and swimming pools because they were considered unclean by so-called Christian based peoples. I suppose that the segragationalist Muslims look upon us like the bigots of the past looked upon the Jews...

Looking forward into the not so distant future - IF the Muslims dominate North America religiously and politically - is it a matter of time before some nut extremist Muslim make the drastic decision to Holocaust all Christians - Being an old beliver myself it makes me uneasy - when logic dictates that in a hundred years these lunitics will be buring Christians - thank God that the real Christians are a hidden group - so folks - keep your heads low and hold your ground - this nation was built on the doctrines of Christ - NOT Mohamid---if Mohamid was so great then our Muslim immigrants would have stayed in their nations of origin - I guess that perphaps it was not all that civilized or prosperous where they came from or they would not be here! Christiantity created stablity and build the British - Canadian and American empires - that we so enjoy today. What does a Muslim state like Saudi Arabia have to offer? Not much other than torment and oppression - Segragationalist that are Muslims should give it some thought - that it was the grace of the Christian mind that open the door and saved their asses..ingrates!

Great post.

Want to fly into Dubai with a Torah scroll?