Seal Hunt Protesters

Because they are a menace to ocean safety and their actions endanger an historic and cultural livlihood.

The real question should be, why couldn't the CG intercept and board the Farley Mowat when it first broke the law?

Because they are a menace to ocean safety and their actions endanger an historic and cultural livlihood.

Don't forget the DFO has all but mismanaged every fishery Canadians have depended on out of existance and the only sealers who have been killed were in the hands of the coast guard. I don't mean to disparage the Coast Guard but perhaps their less than stellar performance has more to do with their having been merged with DFO.

As for the sealers that were killed, I understand the tow rope was attached to a bridle athwart the bow of the L'Acadien II. That tow rope should have been rigged to lead the boat straight off the bow. The rig they were using to tow the L'Acadien II might have worked okay for a long barge but given the ridiculous licencing rules DFO imposed on fishing fleets that saw the development of boats shaped more like tea-cups... this was a disaster just waiting to happen.

The real question should be, why couldn't the CG intercept and board the Farley Mowat when it first broke the law?

Alleged broken law you mean.

Don't forget the DFO has all but mismanaged every fishery Canadians have depended on out of existance and the only sealers who have been killed were in the hands of the coast guard.

Yes billions spent on management and the resources still collapse...my aunt summed it up nicely..."what do these clowns do the rest of the year when there isn't any fishing going on?... :P The DFo at Burnt Church also rammed natives in a boat--to me it looked at a deliberate attempt to kill...then when they came back on shore they all had dumb smirks on their faces...now that's a waste of money to employ these bozos...

The shit-box boat in registered in Europe, where the highest demand for seal pelts are.

The question still remains. How do you control a population that is on the rise? Only about 10% of the seals are killed using the club. The rest by rifles.

I don't think the Fisheries Minister's comments, "money-sucking manipulators" helped at all. They are entitled to protest, as long as they follow the rules. And that seems to be the question right now.

He wasn't innacurate, though.

I hope we can all at the very least agree that Paul Watson is a massive wacko. Any group of people who believe the death of some seals is more tragic than actual humans dying are idiots.

I met Watson about 20 years ago at a fund raiser for some friends of mine who had been arrested for an attack on Kentucy Fried Chicken**

He spoke at the event and I was mainly laughing to myself at the crap and nonsense he was spouting...how eating meat was immoral..etc etc etc....how direct action (terrorism and confrontation) was the only way....

**They were known for a while as the Kentucy fried five, a name given to them by their lawyer Clayton Ruby. My two friends were at the time certifiably nuts, but you know, you stick with your friends through fair and foul....

Anyone who belittles the loss of men trying to support their families like Watson did deserves no respect from anyone. His comments regarding the deaths of four sealers just go to prove how callous and unworried he is about those who participate in the hunt. If those who follow his propagandist garbage are as dangerous as he is, that is to say his disciples on the boat, Hearn did the right thing.

http://www.thestar.com/article/413940

"I can't think of anything that defines helplessness and fear more than a seal pup on the ice that can't swim or escape as it is approached by some cigarette-smoking ape with a club," Watson said.

"These men are sadistic baby killers and that might offend some people but it is the unvarnished truth - they are vicious killers who are now pleading for sympathy because some of their own died while engaged in a viciously brutal activity."

He spoke at the event and I was mainly laughing to myself at the crap and nonsense he was spouting...how eating meat was immoral..etc etc etc....how direct action (terrorism and confrontation) was the only way....

**They were known for a while as the Kentucy fried five, a name given to them by their lawyer Clayton Ruby. My two friends were at the time certifiably nuts, but you know, you stick with your friends through fair and foul....

Sounds like alot of the people at PETA who keep on sprouting bullshit about "animal liberation." Any person who gets into an uproar over a dead donkey in the middle east while thousands are dying deserve absolutely no respect.

Sounds like alot of the people at PETA who keep on sprouting bullshit about "animal liberation." Any person who gets into an uproar over a dead donkey in the middle east while thousands are dying deserve absolutely no respect.

I believe they predate PETA and were much more militant. The group they belonged to were called the Animal Liberation Front.

That, seemingly is the mantra of these animal rights types. To terrorize the public into submission.

Ah, yes and that Mr. Watson is undeniably certifiable and anyone who agrees with him should skip along to the looney bin alongside Mr. Watson.

I'm not sure Mr. Watson even resides in reality at all given his recent and past comments.

I believe they predate PETA and were much more militant. The group they belonged to were called the Animal Liberation Front.

PETA started in 1980

ALF started in the USA in 1976.

PETA protests. ALF does.

For the most part. Both are nutjobs.

Edited by Qwerty

If we could just get those damn seals to respect the size limits on the cod they eat...
I don't think the seals living off the coast of Saskatchewan eat cod.

The group they belonged to were called the Animal Liberation Front.
  1. Do they strap bombs onto horses, dogs or other domesticated animals and then blow up those animals amid crowds of humans?
  2. Or are the members feral beasts themselves?

Or are both possibilities synonymous?

I met Watson about 20 years ago at a fund raiser for some friends of mine who had been arrested for an attack on Kentucy Fried Chicken**

Haha, Got a few acorns and some pecans as buddies too. Gotta just love'em for who they are.

I agree that we as a country allowed foreign factory ships to destroy the fishing. We stood back and said nothing and did nothing. It was a crime against nature. As far as seals are concerned they are not in danger of extinction in anyway from the sealers. Maybe from starvation ,but not sealers.They need to be culled if the Cod is ever to make a comeback. The Cod fishery should be closely monitored and shut down if thats what it takes. We have a responsibility to nature and to species to husband them well. All governments in Canada have been to afraid of East coast votes to do the right thing.

As for Watson , he comes off as someone quite mad on TV! I think he is in need of a good medium rare steak smothered with onions.

I agree that we as a country allowed foreign factory ships to destroy the fishing. We stood back and said nothing and did nothing. It was a crime against nature. As far as seals are concerned they are not in danger of extinction in anyway from the sealers. Maybe from starvation ,but not sealers.They need to be culled if the Cod is ever to make a comeback. The Cod fishery should be closely monitored and shut down if thats what it takes. We have a responsibility to nature and to species to husband them well. All governments in Canada have been to afraid of East coast votes to do the right thing.

As for Watson , he comes off as someone quite mad on TV! I think he is in need of a good medium rare steak smothered with onions.

I'm not so sure about the onions...he's explosive enough as it is.

I'm interested to know how this is playing out in Europe. I check the BBC daily and there hasn't been anything on there about it. I've even gone so far as to Google for news from Holland and have only found what I would call very minor, one-piece bits about it. I don't think this has garnered the attention Watson hoped it would.

And if that's the case, serves him right.