What went wrong for John McCain

I hope the Dems take that angle with McCain - it really worked well against Bush Jnr.

WIP, the Left is supposed to champion the cause of ordinary people. By choosing a strategy of making fun of someone for their supposed stupidity, the Dems don't exactly win alot of votes from people who feel that the world looks down on them.

I think that McCain will be tagged with Iraq which most Americans want a policy change in. The 100 year occupation policy that McCain suggested is just not going to resonate.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that McCain will be tagged with Iraq which most Americans want a policy change in. The 100 year occupation policy that McCain suggested is just not going to resonate.

McCain is by no means a dimwit, but his flub on Iran and al Qaeda indicates he may be increasingly suffering from seniors' moments. His tendency to lose his temper also might be a sign of Alzheimer's setting in.

McCain is by no means a dimwit, but his flub on Iran and al Qaeda indicates he may be increasingly suffering from seniors' moments. His tendency to lose his temper also might be a sign of Alzheimer's setting in.

I think the jokes about him being very old are just going to multiply. And while Reagan also had jokes about his age, the perception was that he was vigorous for his age at least in the beginning. McCain is going to be targeted as old, often angry and light on ideas.

I think the jokes about him being very old are just going to multiply. And while Reagan also had jokes about his age, the perception was that he was vigorous for his age at least in the beginning. McCain is going to be targeted as old, often angry and light on ideas.

Not a very good strategy given the demographics for the largest voting block in America, who always show up at the polls.

What went wrong for McCain is that he is a Republican, and the Republicans have clearly proven that they are not fit for executive office anymore.

Time to try something new because this garbage ain't working.

Isn't working for who? Oft repeated words in 2004 too....we know how that turned out.

I hope the Dems take that angle with McCain - it really worked well against Bush Jnr.

WIP, the Left is supposed to champion the cause of ordinary people. By choosing a strategy of making fun of someone for their supposed stupidity, the Dems don't exactly win alot of votes from people who feel that the world looks down on them.

If the Dems portray McCain as a dimwit, all they'll accomplish is to show that they are effete urban Liberal Brahmin snobs - John Kerry style - and they'll win Massachusetts in teh Electoral College.

Listen to the man talk! His speeches over the last ten years are nothing but droning generalizations! He has never given the impression of having any grasp of complex policy issues and his political career is solely based on his war record - and that's not enough to make him a good president. America has already payed a heavy price for putting one dimwit in power, I doubt they'd be stupid enough to do it again!

Well, if there was one glimmer of hope for John McCain and the Republicans, it's going up in smoke right now as the Surge Strategy collapses in the face of sectarian fighting between Shiite militias. The only reason McCain won the Republican nomination was because the drop in violence made him look like a genius for being first in line to advocate this strategy.

I doubt McCain was well enough informed to be aware that the only reason it was working at all because the U.S. was buying off Sunni and Shiite militias to keep the peace. The ironic twist is that they supported the Iranian-backed Badr Brigades who make up most of the Iraqi security forces attacking Sadr's militia. http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JC28Ak03.html

How long did they expect this scam operation to work? Probably just long enough to get through the next election! But with things heating up in Iraq at a time when the U.S. has no choice but to start drawing down troop levels, McCain's only road to the presidency has been taken out also.

Listen to the man talk! His speeches over the last ten years are nothing but droning generalizations! He has never given the impression of having any grasp of complex policy issues and his political career is solely based on his war record - and that's not enough to make him a good president. America has already payed a heavy price for putting one dimwit in power, I doubt they'd be stupid enough to do it again!....

Well, you know what they say....even a bad day as the "dimwit" President of the United States is better than a good day as Canadian Prime Minister. They did do it again...see election results for 2004.

Early last year Bush sr. said he would do anything to stop Hillary, so is McCain his answer?? I not sure about this because Bill Clinton and Bush sr. have been friends since Bill was Governor and we've all seen how close they appear to be. Is Bush family really behind McCain or are they really behind Clinton? Perhaps Bush family are for Clinton and McCain, just so they have "their guy" in place for the White House.