Canada 2004 Election Candidates

This looks like it will be a close fight if the last election is any indication.

Does anyone know anything about this riding and who/why will win it?

'Lauzon To Seek Federal Conservative Nomination'

Seaway News

http://www.cornwallseawaynews.com/index.cf...fm&NEWS_ID=2110

'Current Canadian Alliance Candidate Guy Lauzon will hold a Media Conference on Saturday January 17, 2004 at 10:00 am at the Ramada Inn to announce that he has officially declared his intention to seek the nomination to become the Conservative candidate for the riding of Stormont Dundas Charlottenburgh in the upcoming Federal Election. The Media Conference will see Lauzon address the crowd, followed by a question period for members of the media.'

-------------------------------------

2000 election results

Stormont-Dundas-Charlottenburgh (LIB 13,912)

xBob Kilger LIB 19,117

Guy Lauzon CA 16,136

Michael Bailey PC 3,636

Kimberley Fry NDP 1,681

Ian Campbell NL 214

Georges Elie Novy CAP 176

1997 election results

Stormont-Dundas (Lib 19,582)

xBob Kilger Lib 22,699

Charles Dillabough Ref 8,932

Leslie O'Shaughnessy PC 8,722

Sydney Gardiner NDP 2,667

Ian Campbell NL 293

Edited by maplesyrup

Grant Devine, former Premier of Saskatchewan, remember him, is making an announcement today at noon in Estevan, SK

'Grant Devine may run for new Tory party

Ex-Saskatchewan premier's government had largest scandal in modern Canadian politics'

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/Conte...d=1074553473371

'The scandal saw the demise of the Progressive Conservative Party of Saskatchewan. The party suspended operations in 1997 in the hopes time would allow it to recover.'

2000 election results

Souris-Moose Mountain (CA 4,655) 165:166

xRoy H. Bailey CA 19,277

Tom Cameron NDP 4,766

Myles Fuchs LIB 4,475

Larry Gabruch PC 2,047

1997 election results

Souris-Moose Mountain (Lib 591)

Roy Bailey Ref 13,665

xBernie Collins Lib 8,954

Gary Lake NDP 6,194

Greg Douglas PC 4,326

Could go Conservative, subject to Stronach not winning.

Sorry, Stronach would do better in Ontario than Harper.

1. She lives here.

2. People would respond positively to a fresh face.

3. Ontarians are familliar with MAGNA as a success story.

4. She's socially liberal.

5. She's attractive and youthful looking.

Sorry, Syrup...

Just watched her media launch.

No doubt a valuable asset to the new party.

But leader???

I don't think so.

And I have few doubts that more than a relative handful of members of a new party in need of a leader that can take this fight to Paul Martin are going to see anything close to that capability in Belinda Stronach.

I don't think even Ontarians are that naive. And if they are, we...Canadians...are in deeper doodoo than even I imagined possible.

Watching and listening to her, it became ever the more crystal clear as to exactly why we need a leader like Stephen Harper.

And I have few doubts that more than a relative handful of members of a new party in need of a leader that can take this fight to Paul Martin are going to see anything close to that capability in Belinda Stronach.

Springer:

I read that sentence about 5 times.

It sounds like you're saying you believe more than a few people will see Stronach as a capable leader. :blink:

But from the rest of your post, I can see you support Harper. I think Harper has it in the bag, and knows how to make the true believers stand in line so he should/will win the leadership.

But look for Harper and Layton to make like a Raptor and "drive for the middle" - if you know what I mean...

Springer:

I read that sentence about 5 times.

It sounds like you're saying you believe more than a few people will see Stronach as a capable leader. :blink:

But from the rest of your post, I can see you support Harper. I think Harper has it in the bag, and knows how to make the true believers stand in line so he should/will win the leadership.

But look for Harper and Layton to make like a Raptor and "drive for the middle" - if you know what I mean...

Yeah, I screwed that up, didn't I. :P

Ahem...

Allow me to correct that...

And doubt that more than a relative handful of members of a new party in need of a leader that can take this fight to Paul Martin are going to see anything close to that capability in Belinda Stronach.

;)

What I don't understand is why she decided to go straight for leadership. I think she would have been better off to run in a southern Ontario riding, win the seat, and get some political experience. Give it a couple years, build her reputation, and once she has the political credentials, go for the leadership. There might be a little more trust at that point. She would have an opportunity to develop her knowledge of politics and the workings of the legislature, without being thrown straight into a high-profile, important leadership position.