Us Is Superior Vs. Canada

Canada free rides off the US military, US technology and health sectors and its drug industry

What exactly do you mean by 'free rides?' Could you be more specific?

The US has the 2nd highest living standards in the world - Canada falling to about 15th

Living standards cannot be an accurate measure of a country's overall prosperity. The US has high living standards because it has enormously rich business tycoons like Bill Gates and Hollywod filmstars, whose worth, if added up will probably be equal to the GDP of all the African nations put together. Just the other day I read somewhere that the worth of corporations like Microsoft and Sony is more than the entire GDP of some countries.

However, that makes only the top layer of society in the US immensely rich, whereas the bottomost layer lives in abject poverty. Thus, when you take the average standard of living, it turns out to be comparitively high.

In the case of Canada, the majority of the people have the same, fairly comfortable standard of living. There are neither super rich people nor extreme poverty as in some parts of the US.

Canada, therefore trys much more to reduce the rich-poor gap as much as possible, unlike the US, which seeks to widen it.

Canada has the 2nd lowest military spend in NATO and if you normalise military spend Canada would be running 3.5 % deficits.

Obviously. What do you expect? Canada spends more on healthcare and welfare programmes, it doesn't just go around the world like the US, fighting meaningless wars which have no connection to the american people whatsoever.

Cdn tax rates are 30 % above US rates.

Yup. How else do you finance welfare and healthcare and other pro-people programmes? We certainly don't want to 'emulate' the US in this regard, do we? :rolleyes:

Cdn wage rates are in general for most professions quite a bit lower than US rates [see brain drain].

Canada has a smaller economy, what do you expect? That's an absolute non-issue. Which country in the world has wages as high as those in the US?

Cdn social liberalism is creating a European styled culture of egotistical self actualisers devoid of responsibility, morality and full of pious post modern nonsense centred on the belief that 'nothing matters.

That's just an illogical opinion from a conceited american. what kind of reply do you expect?  <_<

My word, d4dev, please do try to keep up. Craig posted that information a long time ago. Did you bother to read the rest of the arguments here? Also for clarification, Craig is not a "conceited american" (I believe I'm just about the only "conceited American" on this forum thank you kindly, which is why I don't post on this one very often), he's an upset Canadian. Check his profile. Oddly enough, just about everyone on this thread posting on behalf of the "conceited American" side is Canadian. That doesn't say anything about the Canadian system does it? Please do be careful what you post. By the way, I would like to see you back up your statements on the financial wellbeing of both the U.S. and Canada.

By the way, When Craig said that Canada rides off the U.S. Military he was pointing out that Canada doesn't have the Millitary necessary to defend their country from a real threat. They don't worry about it too much because they know that their U.S. Neighbors will rush to their aid if their freedom is ever martially threatened. I really don't know the truth of this statement, but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

A little surprised by your point of view Elder... I thought you were all about helping people... seems to me that fits with the so-called Canadian worldview on this issue...

Oddly enough, just about everyone on this thread posting on behalf of the "conceited American" side is Canadian.

There are bound to be some people on both sides of the border who don't agree with their contemporaries. And some of us just enjoy a lively debate.

As for our military, that is obviously the one place we have fallen short in Canada, and something needs to be done about it. d4dev is still correct however, that our military needs are not what the the US' are.

If the US didn't make so many enemies ,,,,it wouldn't need to have such huge military.

They've peed off just about everyone who has had anything to do with them. Being a self proclaimed super power doesn't win you any popularity contests. Not to mention being hugely expensive.

Captain, on this I do agree. The U.S. has declared itself, for better or worse, the policeman of the world. You don't make friends, and you better be able to back yourself up if you do that (thus the huge millitary). As for whether this is right or wrong, I am very much divided on this issue. On one hand it's a very proactive approach, in which the U.S. definitely makes a difference (something I deeply respect), and they are trying to make the world a better place (yes, we try to say that we are protecting our own interrests and that we do have our own reasons, but quite often we are meddling in order to do what we believe to be the best thing). On the other hand, they don't alway make such a positive difference, and one wonders where they got such authority. As I've stated earlier, I'm a citizen of the United States, and very much the nationalist, thus, I do not see myself as able to give an unbiased oppinion on the matter. I have no problems with Canada, and if they want to "piggy-back" off our millitary, they can go ahead, we have a little extra. I really see no need to compare the two countries. Now, if you want to talk about what the two can do for eachother, I'm all ears.

P.S., I do apologize for exploding on that last post. I usually try to keep a level head, but this time I failed. I guess I don't take name calling well.

yours truly, "the conceited American"

I think both sides if there are two sides speak out of loyalty to their respective countries.

I too am guilty of that , however we all know that Canada and US are absolutely locked into a trade position that leaves one in need of the other.

I think what we can do for each other is realize that fact. I think we as Canadians like to think we don't need our neighbor to the south and the same might be said of Americans.

• I believe the US likes to remind us of our Military short falls.
  • I think the US sees Canada as an entry point threat and that is their first concern
  • I don't think the US has the right to ask Canada to join in every time they take action abroad.
    • I think Canada does feel safer alongside the US
    • I believe that living alongside the US has many many benefits and we have to take the good with the bad.
    • I also think that there are benefits to both countries as a result of our geographical position.

Having said that I think we owe it to ourselves to get along as separate countries who depend on each other. Personally I think if we as people were left out of the mud slinging by politicians we would get along just fine. I love my florida Oranges and grapefruit and in return I will gladly send you some Bacon and Black Diamond Cheese.

Well Elder, I guess that settles that eh ;)

I like to believe that the PEOPLE act for the most part as grown ups . Which is more than I can say for the powers that be sometimes.

They purposely go to the media and pit one against the other to sway public opinion . They ought to be shot with a ball of their own Sh** .

• 2 weeks later...