August1991

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Peter Stoffer, 55, federal NDP MP:G&M

No they won`t - in the last thrity years the Canadian educational system has produced thousands of people who are accustomed to abuse and being used - they like it...To try to explain this sick compliance to Canadians is like trying to explain to a male - who is smacked across the face by his female partner - that he is abused - He will continue in denial because of his blind arrogant male pride ...just like common Canadian citizens who are not about to take another four years of usery - abuse - and animalistic conditioning along with being taxed to the point of depression.

• 2 weeks later...

Mohammad Shafia, 58, accused of murdering his three daughters and another family member:

"Even if they hoist me up onto the gallows, nothing is more dear to me than my honour," Shafia said, according to Lacelle. "Let's leave our destiny to God, and may God never make me, you or your mother honourless ...There is nothing more valuable than our honour."

"God's curse on them for generations. May the devil (defecate) on their graves. Is that what a daughter should be? Would a daughter be such a whore?"

CTV

Jean Cournoyer, 77, Quebec Minister of Labour between 1970-75:

« Le placement, c'est le gagne-pain d'un syndicat, dans la construction », dit M. Cournoyer, qui doute des chances de succès d'un placement centralisé à la CCQ. « Si tu lui enlèves son gagne-pain, il va s'arranger pour le reprendre. »
Patrick Lagacé, La Presse

Jim Stafford, economist with Canadian Auto Workers union:

“This is where me and my brothers and sisters in this thing called labour have to get a lot more effective,” he said. “More effective at explaining and positioning ourselves as the voice of social justice rather than some kind of vested interest group.”
Lawrence Martin

Rob Ford, 42, Mayor of Toronto:

The CBC, citing anonymous police sources, reported that Ford said, “You ... bitches! Don't you f---ing know? I'm Rob f---ing Ford, the mayor of this city!”

Police Chief Bill Blair has since said that these reports are inaccurate, and that Ford never used the word “bitches.”

Toronto Star

• 2 weeks later...

Nicholas Sarkozy and Barack Obama in Cannes:

Obama, according to Reuters, was heard, saying: "I didn't appreciate your way of presenting things over the Palestinian membership of UNESCO. It weakened us. You should have consulted us, but that is now behind us."

Soon after, President Sarkozy was heard saying to Obama:"I cannot bear Netanyahu, he's a liar."

Obama retorted in response: "You're fed up? But I have to deal with it all day."

Link Edited by August1991

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Marlene Jennings, 59, ex-Liberal federal MP talks of being a CAQ candidate to be an MNA:

"I'm seriously considering it. I really am," Jennings told The Canadian Press on Thursday.

"I think it's a viable choice and I'd love to see the breaking of this political logjam which has existed for so many decades over whether it should be independence or sovereignty-association.

"So much energy and time and effort has been wasted on that (debate)."

CP

• 3 weeks later...

Newt Gingrich, 68, US presidential candidate speaking after South Carolina primary victory:

"What Prime Minister Harper -- who, by the way, is conservative and pro-American -- what he has said is he's gonna cut a deal with the Chinese and they'll build a pipeline straight across the Rockies to Vancouver," Gingrich said Saturday night. "We'll get none of the jobs, none of the energy, none of the opportunity.

"Now, an American president who can create a Chinese-Canadian partnership is truly a danger to this country."

Sun Media

Attention/praise from Newt - just what Canada wants, eh?

Newt is a bit mistaken about the geography of the pipeline-- it won't end up at Vancouver-- but his point is a good one. It's about America's energy security.

-k

Guest American Woman

Newt is a bit mistaken about the geography of the pipeline-- it won't end up at Vancouver-- but his point is a good one. It's about America's energy security.

His "point" is a false one. Nothing has changed - TransCanada is going ahead with their plans to reroute the pipeline same as ever and will reapply for a permit - as Obama has stated - when completed.

Well he might not be wrong. If the natives block the enbridge line then they will expand the existing kinder-morgan line to Vancouver.

His "point" is a false one. Nothing has changed - TransCanada is going ahead with their plans to reroute the pipeline same as ever and will reapply for a permit - as Obama has stated - when completed.
It is all about constructing narratives. Obama delayed the entire pipeline because be wanted a sop to placate the hollywood liberals. If Obama wanted a narrative that he cared about the US would have given provisional approval for the pipeline contruction to start in areas where no environmental review is required. He choose not to because that was not the narrative that would have kept the hollywood liberals happy. The Republicans are building on that narrative to show that Obama is more interested in getting re-elected than in what is good for the US.

Guest American Woman

It is all about constructing narratives. Obama delayed the entire pipeline because be wanted a sop to placate the hollywood liberals.

Nebraskans - where the pipeline would/could affect their water supply and livelihood - have objected to the pipeline as it was. That's been recognized, even by TransCanada.

If Obama wanted a narrative that he cared about the US would have given provisional approval for the pipeline contruction to start in areas where no environmental review is required.

Again, Nebraska is part of the U.S. - caring about Nebraska, caring about Nebraskans, IS caring about the U.S.; and frankly, and I understand this, I'm quite sure your concern is with Canada and Canadians and how this affects you - not about if Obama cares about the U.S. or not.

He choose not to because that was not the narrative that would have kept the hollywood liberals happy.

He chose not to because before the plans for rerouting it are complete, giving approval at this point would be like signing a blank contract. Who in their right mind does that?

The Republicans are building on that narrative to show that Obama is more interested in getting re-elected than in what is good for the US.

The Republicans created a false scenario so they could play on it and portray it as something it's not. And it's working. We have kimmy giving Newt approval on this, presumably because it affects Canadians, when she's had nothing but scathing comments about him.

Nothing has changed except TransCanada has to reapply for the permit. It will still be approved - or not approved - same as before Obama was forced by a deadline to approve or disapprove the current permit.

Nebraskans - where the pipeline would/could affect their water supply and livelihood - have objected to the pipeline as it was. That's been recognized, even by TransCanada.
The objections were complete absurd and not based on any real risk assessment. Even with that, the Nebraskans are in support of the re-routing and asked that it be approved as quickly as possible.
Again, Nebraska is part of the U.S. - caring about Nebraska, caring about Nebraskans
Complete nonsense. This has nothing to do with "caring" about Nebraskans. They are nothing but convenient pawns. At least one environmental writer has mused that enviros have made a deal with a devil by siding with the NIMBYs in Nebraska because it will make it much more difficult to get the transmission lines/wind turbines/solar plants built because they need so much land.
He chose not to because before the plans for rerouting it are complete, giving approval at this point would be like signing a blank contract. Who in their right mind does that?
There is no rational reason to believe the the re-routing would not be approved. Pipelines are low risk endeavours are only opposed because for enviro-loons believe energy is provided by unicorns and pixies. The only reason to refuse to give approval for the pipeline is politics which means the Republican narrative is 100% correct. Edited by TimG

....The Republicans created a false scenario so they could play on it and portray it as something it's not. And it's working. We have kimmy giving Newt approval on this, presumably because it affects Canadians, when she's had nothing but scathing comments about him.

Sure did, and TransCanada finds itself as a pawn in a much larger game, a game that will be decided by the Americans. It is expected that Canadians would have their own self interest "optics" about the matter.

It is all about constructing narratives... kept the hollywood liberals happy.

yes, your narrative is showing through, loud and clear!

The objections were complete absurd and not based on any real risk assessment.

you mean the "risk assessment" per the TransCanada influenced assessment? That one? Or... the "risk assessment" associated with all those oil industry lobbyists with past associations to Clinton? Or... the "risk assessment" from the failed/flawed assessment? Those risk assessments?