Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, 45, excuses his behaviour in the House of Commons:

"I want to take the opportunity … to be able to express directly to [brosseau] my apologies for my behaviour and my actions, unreservedly. The fact is, in this situation, where I saw … I noticed that the whip opposite was being impeded in his progress, I took it upon myself to go and assist him forward, which I can now see was unadvisable as a course of actions that resulted in physical contact in this House that we can all accept was unacceptable," he said.

"I look for opportunities to make amends directly to the member and to any members who feel negatively impacted by this exchange and intervention."

CBC 18 May 2016

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barack Obama, 56, President of the United States regarding terms such as "radical Islam" and "radical Islamists,"

"It's a political talking point. It's not a strategy."

"What exactly would using this label accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIS less committed to trying to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies? Is there a military strategy that is served by this? The answer is none of the above. Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away. This is a political distraction."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/14/482041137/president-obama-slams-yapping-over-radical-islam-and-terrorism

Edited by August1991

Barack Obama, 56, President of the United States regarding terms such as "radical Islam" and "radical Islamists,"

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/14/482041137/president-obama-slams-yapping-over-radical-islam-and-terrorism

Bit dumb from Obama there. I imagine using the term Radical Islam would reassure those Muslims who didn't think it was a good idea to shoot homosexuals that you were aware there was a difference.

• 2 months later...

Alexandre (Sacha) Trudeau, 42, filmmaker:

"In recent times Canada has disappeared as an independent voice, as a country that makes its own decisions about things," Alexandre told host Rosemary Barton. "When's the last time you think: 'Well, Canada really has a position that is unlike any other?' We've kind of fallen into a confused follower nation."

CBC, septembre 2016

Edited by August1991

• 3 months later...

"I gather that Mr. Cleveland has shown high character and great capacity in public life but that in private life his conduct is open to question, while on the other hand, Mr. Blaine in public life has been weak and dishonest, while he seems to have been an admirable husband and father. The conclusion I draw from these facts is that we should elect Mr. Cleveland to the public office for which he is admirably qualified to fill and remand Mr. Blaine to the private life which he is so eminently fitted to adorn."

By a Chicago delegate in 1884 election between Cleveland (Democrat) and Blaine (Republican). Cleveland.(link to source)

Edited by jbg

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Chris Taylor's final conclusion speech in Platoon says something about the very nature of humanity, what we all are. And despite the conflict and turmoil, what we all must do-

"I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy. We fought ourselves, and the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days as I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called possession of my soul. There are times since, I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life."

28 minutes ago, hot enough said:

You go to rank US propaganda movies for introspection?? 

What is this "we" shit. Speak for yourself. You're starting to be a wee bit truthful, finally, about what you really are. 

Personal attack not warranted, fella. You do your thing I'll do mine.

6 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

US propagandist movie bullshit lines: But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life."

Didn't really work out very good with the teaching others, did it? The US went on after Vietnam terrorizing others, murdering millions, illegally invading other's countries, slashing off women's breasts, just generally doing what the USA has always done best, murder others, destroy hundreds of millions of lives, steal other's wealth, all the good things that make people everywhere proud to be an Amurican. 

• 3 months later...

Donald Trump, US President, 71, speaks at the Gridiron Club:

"And I know Mayor Mitch Landrieu feels right at home in Washington coming from Louisiana — I love Louisiana. Where's Mitch, where the [expletive] are you? I love you in Louisiana. Not too bad, right? Not bad, Mitch. But, he's used to being in that swamp. It's a beautiful swamp. I like that swamp. This swamp I hate. Not so good."

=

"It might be hard for you to believe, but I do love gatherings like these. They give you a chance to socialize with members of the opposition party, it's very important. And it's also great to see some Democrats here also."

=

"You, The New York Times, are an icon. I'm a New York icon, you're a New York icon. And the only difference is, I still own my buildings."

CNN, 4 March 2018

Sophie Trudeau, in an interview on CTV, speaks about her photo with convicted attempted murderer/terrorist Jaspal Atwal:

"When we stand in a photo line or when people come up to ask [for] pictures, it’s always a moment where I remind myself, it is their moment, and it is my moment because these people are showing me trust and confidence," Gregoire Trudeau said. "So I stand there with all my presence and I take a picture with pleasure, then something shocking comes along. That's life, right?"

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/gregoire-trudeau-calls-atwal-incident-shocking-denies-trip-was-a-vacation-1.3831324

Yes life can be shocking Madam Trudeau. Being married to Justin should have taught you that lesson a long time ago.

Can we add the infamous Trudeau statement?

Fidel Castro dies. Justin Trudeau issues statement. Much hilarity ensues. #TrudeauEulogies

“It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President. “Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation. “While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”. “I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba. “On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.”

On behalf of all Canadians, eh? A remarkable leader? Mmm. I don’t think so. Many Canadians seem a bit upset about this white-washing of Castro. 

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/fidel-castro-dies-justin-trudeau-issues-statement-much-hilarity-ensues-trudeaueulogies

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2008 at 10:46 AM, Army Guy said:

You think the russians have the same problem as Canadians, a loss of identity.

Some of my relatives went to Chubut and then to Canada, and some of them speak three languages still, whereas any who went to the 'States were quickly lost in the money-mad mass.   If any went to Russia its been kept from me, but as far as I can judge, Saskatchewan creates a very strong identity indeed, second only to staying home.

• 1 month later...

Justin Trudeau reacts to North Korea suspending nuclear tests.

“A declaration of suspension of nuclear tests is better than a nuclear test,” Trudeau told the Liberal Party convention in Halifax on Saturday. “I think it’s a sign that perhaps things are moving in the right direction.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-welcomes-north-korea-s-nuclear-testing-freeze-1.3896242

Just another one of the musings of our intellectual Prime Minister. Very stirring.

• 5 months later...

"When I arrived in Armenia, I immediately thought of a great man I loved so much, a great lover of the French language who died last week, the incomparable Charles Aznavour," Trudeau said.

"In the days following his death, francophones and francophiles of the world united in mourning through his work. This momentum of solidarity was perhaps the greatest tribute that could have been made to him."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/michaelle-jean-makes-final-pitch-to-keep-top-post-as-francophonie-summit-opens-1.4129459

I'm francophone and I didn't mourn Aznavour's passing. And I even have one of his CDs.

• 5 weeks later...

Patriotism & nationalism overlap greatly as political ideas arising from love of country. Those who want to separate them fully get into linguistic difficulties & produce wildly differing definitions of both. Think: I'm a patriot, you're a nationalist, he's a chauvinist

John O'Sullivan, November 2018, Link

On 11/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, OftenWrong said:

"A free press does not spread free opinion, it generates opinion."

- Oswald Spengler, Der Untergang des Abendlandes

A fascinating even if entirely cynical perspective. I believe Spengler also predicted that the Third Reich wouldn't survive. He seems to have been prescient in his understanding of the modern corporate-controlled media environment. I often cringe when I hear Trudeau espouse the virtues of the free press when at the same time he clearly dislikes actual free speech. His elitism can't accommodate the proposition that in a healthy democracy the general population might objectively reach its own conclusions on controversial matters. Noam Chomsky's views on "manufacturing consent" also come to mind where the traditional media environment is concerned. Clearly, the biggest potential challenge to the established order is technology, which permits access to alternative sources and perspectives. I wonder what Spengler would think of the internet?

• 2 months later...

"“The choice I made was to serve as a high school teacher, to serve as a member of parliament for Papineau and now to serve Canadians as prime minister. The choice we made as a government was to help the middle class and the people working hard to join it.”

Justin Trudeau, PM of Canada

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-despite-pledge-to-keep-it-positive-liberals-plan-to-get-personal-with-scheer-poilievre?video_autoplay=true

"Neither matriarchy nor patriarchy alone can ever rule the world well, but when these two join forces, then the affairs of the world will be run as wisely as those of the gods. Then the lords of compassion will join with the lords of reason in molding the destiny of the universe."

~~ Manly P. Hall

• 2 weeks later...

“I ran into SNC executives at the NAC gala. I do remember the evening; Diana Ross was there,” he told the committee on Feb. 21. “They had bought a table at the gala. As soon as I saw that they were there, my wife and I left the event and went home, and missed a good dinner.”

Michael Wernick, 61, Privy Council

Macleans