Is Canada now a police state under the Harper Tories?

God help Canada because in just 2 years time we have gone from a nation that respects human rights to a nation that abuses human rights. First, our soldiers abuse the detainees in Afghanistan by letting the Afghan Authorities (clearly not trustworthy) take care of them and the abuse has been proven to be true so don't deny it. Then right at home the RCMP and local police have seen deaths from police brutality go up. I.E. the polish man being tasered to death simply for not knowing English

For example, look at this raw fiootage (link at the side):

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...4/bc-taser.html

Kinda scary when you consider this is supposed to be a democracy eh?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Kinda scary when you consider this is supposed to be a democracy eh?

Not in the least....Canada has been "abusing" human rights for a lot longer than 2 years. If the issue is human rights "abuse" a la Taser, one can't pin this on the present PMO. Another member has pointed out more Taser deaths in Canada before 2006.

What is interesting, and disturbing, on this topic is that the federal government IS free to direct the activities of the RCMP, where the Ontario government is NOT free to direct the activities of the OPP.

Evidence:

OPP Oath

I solemnly affirm that I will be loyal

to Her Majesty the Queen

and to Canada, and that I will

uphold the Constitution of Canada and that I will,

to the best of my ability, preserve the peace,

prevent offences and

discharge my other duties as a Commissioned Officer,

faithfully, impartially and according to law.

RCMP Oath

I, ............, solemnly swear that I will faithfully, diligently and impartially execute and perform

the duties required of me as a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and will well and truly

obey and perform all lawful orders and instructions that I receive as such,

without fear, favour or affection of or toward any person. So help me God.

The RCMP owe allegiance ONLY to those who give them orders (and who that is is not defined), whereas the OPP have an individual obligation of loyalty to the Queen (including the Queen's Treaties) and to uphold the Constitution, independent of any orders they may be given.

The RCMP is in need of a major overhaul, and clarification of their responsibilities to protect the freedom and rights of Canadians, because right now, OUR rights are overridden by any orders they receive from anyone 'above'.

I do not believe we are protected from dictatorship. Harper controls the RCMP and the army. So did every other Prime Minister.

Edited by joan

It is pretty far fetched to say Canada is abusing human right just because of a few taser deaths and handing over detainees to the Afghani officials. Our soldiers are in Afghanistan, we are detaining their citizens or residents. They are their responsibility, not Canada`s or NATOs. Furthermore, RCMP officials are not ordered to taser people. It is the individual choice of the officer with the taser and they will use it when they are convinced it is necessary. Don`t get me wrong it is extremely disheartening to hear about the deaths caused by tasers and I think they are overused. But I think it is wrong to say the government is abusing human rights based on only those two facts. I could probably pick any time government in Canada`s history and find two instances of human rights abuse.

God help Canada because in just 2 years time we have gone from a nation that respects human rights to a nation that abuses human rights. First, our soldiers abuse the detainees in Afghanistan by letting the Afghan Authorities (clearly not trustworthy) take care of them and the abuse has been proven to be true so don't deny it. Then right at home the RCMP and local police have seen deaths from police brutality go up. I.E. the polish man being tasered to death simply for not knowing English

I would be more concerned with Canada being a police state pertaining to the aspect of totalitarianism and social control with the feds totally ignoring 'consent of the governed'.

What the Afghan people do with their prisoners is really none of our business as it their country not ours. This issue has been spun out of control.

And don't worry about R.C.M.P and tasers.

They ordered even more. Good for tasers. I would not want to come in contact with possibly infectious out of control individuals either.

OTTAWA -- After pledging to restrict its use of Tasers, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is stocking up on the electronic stun guns for distribution to its members in Western Canada.

The force is seeking suppliers to provide 160 new Tasers and holders for replacement cartridges, even amid ongoing public concern about the use of the device following several in-custody deaths.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonis...e3-8cc1dd6d75fa

This topic is garbage. I can't believe people like you are voting

Mr. Smith in Ontario is going to be on the air today, he is going to explain why he sent so many innocent people to jail. We have several cases of people spending years in jail for crimes they didn't commit. The taser incident was just one of such incidents that warn us that something is wrong with the system.

The North American justice system isn't all we believe it to be. That is why we need to look at Capital punishment.

For an example of justice gone wrong why don't you read John Grisham's book "The Innocent Man" this is his first non fiction and is based on actual happenings. It happened in Oaklahoma but it could happen anywhere in Canada or the US. This is a thoroughly frightening book. We mix up mental illness with justice. Just because we do not understand this illness is no reason to beat up and kill these people.

Harper Hilter? Now that's funny! As one of his Minister's said to one of the Liberal member "its the meds" that is making him act the way he does! Harper is too inexperience politican who wanted to be PM really bad. I can still see him sitting acrosss from Paul Martin, pushing for the Liberal government to fall so he could be in the PMO. I rather go back to Paul Martin days then what the Conservatives have going for this country. On the news though, it seems that Canadians are really fussy with either of the parties. Does that mean they are willing to give the NDP a chance. I always believe every party for Canada should be given at least one chance. The NDP couldn't do worse than the rest of them, maybe as a minority government.

The NDP couldn't do worse than the rest of them, maybe as a minority government.

See, now I have to disagree with that statement. I believe the NDP would be a whole lot worse than the other two.

As for the thread title and entire premise I just have to say that it has to be one of the biggest steaming piles of runny crap I've seen in a while. I wish people would learn more about the Nazi's and Hitler. Maybe they wouldn't be so quick to toss those insults around if they actually knew what they were talking about.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

God help Canada because in just 2 years time we have gone from a nation that respects human rights to a nation

The first person to use Hitler or Nazi in an argument loses...it is nothing but inflammatory rhetoric.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no fan of Stephen Harper. I actually despise him. He has been intrumental in dismantling this country's oldest political party. Him and his cronies are not from the same party as MacDonald and Disraeli.

But how is the Prime Minister responsible for a mentally deranged man dying for resisting arrest? Let's remember, even if the RCMP do use too much force sometimes (I personally think they don't use enough force), this is an organisation that has seen a number of its officers gunned down in the line of duty over the past couple of years. It only took one deranged gunman to gun down four officers a few years ago, and there have since been more officers killed whilst serving their country and their people.

The police are all that stand between us and anarchy. What else do we have to rely on? "The decency of our common man?"

Don't have that anymore. Never had it to begin with.

It's war out there. It always has been. These are the heroes that are charged with protecting us from the evil that pulses in our society.

I live in Toronto. Biggest city in the country. Over the past couple of years, we've watched several people, innocent people, get gunned down while in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now, the RCMP don't function as normal cops here, only for special things, but all police in this country have the same basic job: to protect us. To "deliver us from evil", as it were.

So if a couple of cops beat up some drug dealers and steal their cash, or beat up some terrorists, or "taser first, ask questions later", I think we should give them our support. Because they're doing it for us. They go out there every day and risk their lives to keep us safe.

Is it a slippery slope? Sure is. And I say it's time we grease it up for them.

Let's remember, even if the RCMP do use too much force sometimes (I personally think they don't use enough force), this is an organisation that has seen a number of its officers gunned down in the line of duty over the past couple of years. It only took one deranged gunman to gun down four officers a few years ago, and there have since been more officers killed whilst serving their country and their people.

Frankly, they were shot because they did not exercise care and caution. Nothing to do with anyone else outside of the four and the gunman.

It's war out there. It always has been. These are the heroes that are charged with protecting us from the evil that pulses in our society.

Oh please, pure hyperbole.

I live in Toronto. Biggest city in the country. Over the past couple of years, we've watched several people, innocent people, get gunned down while in the wrong place at the wrong time. .... but all police in this country have the same basic job: to protect us. To "deliver us from evil", as it were.

They mop up , rarely are they there before the crooks are

So if a couple of cops beat up some drug dealers and steal their cash, or beat up some terrorists, or "taser first, ask questions later", I think we should give them our support. Because they're doing it for us. They go out there every day and risk their lives to keep us safe.

Is it a slippery slope? Sure is. And I say it's time we grease it up for them.

Great, in a thread about "police state" you advocate one even worse?

Beat up a drug dealer and steal the money...the cops will be sitting in the same prison cell as the dealer, and in fact the dealer should have a lesser sentence than the cop.

I know I know, its all cool, until one day you are the recipient of "The Cherry Beach Express" , or falling up the stairs , or the telephone book treatment. At that point you will be paying Charles Roach or Danson lots of money.

Your ideas are scary.

Police brutality is probably down. I think the Tories are just better at taking an accounting of it and at statistical analysis than the Liberals ever were. I don't know where that billion dollars from human resources went that they lost, and you know how Chretien counted things - "A billion here. A billion there. Pretty soon it amounts to something."

When Liberals are in power things like police brutality seem to be not important enough to mention. Our attentionseems to be more on scandal and patronage.

Remember when the police came to your door last? Did they act like storm-troopers? Call them up and ask them to come by. They are really a sweet bunch.

This is a comedy thread right?

Harper using the RCMP to create a police state? His governement is the one who rooted out the corruption leading to the turfing of the commisioner, then someone says the OPP are above political interference, but just a few years ago these people were accusing Harris of directing them?

Then we get into the human rights business which can only lead to a logic shell game.

What you should be worried about is the erosion of your civil liberties by a constant barrage of left wing laws and the perpetual whining about human rights.

Good grief what are people drinking in their water today. August claims Canada is poor, now you claim we live in a police state.

Yegads.

Are people this sheltered? Are they this oblivious to what goes on in other parts of the world?

Police state?

I again repeat only someone completely oblivious as to the laws of his own country and the privileges he takes for granted could make such a comment.

What you should be worried about is the erosion of your civil liberties by a constant barrage of left wing laws and the perpetual whining about human rights.

Talk about your constant barrage and perpetual whining... I'm far more worried about this never ending loathing for anything associated with the left and the subsequent erosion of any middle ground.

When push finally comes to shove and its definitely coming, I have no doubt who's side the majority of cops will be on. There'll be a few like those with LEAP perhaps who'll have their doubts but it won't be enough. Is Canada now a police state under the Harper Tories? No, but's its moving faster towards one than it was before.

Has there ever been a single case where a right-wing government hasn't sought to increase the power of the police when elected to government? When will enough be enough?