Insults and proper names

6 minutes ago, Rue said:

The inconsistency in who he allows to insult and who he allows to be insulted has rendered his role as a moderator a farse.

Presumably he reads everything, and he knows who said what. He is rather like a forum Santa Claus in that way,

To my mind there isn't a big problem here. I think you are derailing yourself. You have been here a long time, should know how it works. The report function is your friend. Do anything else, you've broken forum rules.

Also one can have a nice chat with the moderator if there is an issue. Remember, you are talking to the forum constable. He has to read all this crap, do you get that? And decide who is the bigger idiot among us. If it were me, this forum probably wouldn't exist anymore.

4 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Now, I am telling you to stop lying.

What because I disagree with you I am a liar?  I did not lie and my words are public domain. You know exactly what I wrote.Why would I lie?  Charles Taylor you are out of line.

Edited by Rue

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Presumably he reads everything, and he knows who said what. He is rather like a forum Santa Claus in that way,

To my mind there isn't a big problem here. I think you are derailing yourself. You have been here a long time, should know how it works. The report function is your friend. Do anything else, you've broken forum rules.

Also one can have a nice chat with the moderator if there is an issue. Remember, you are talking to the forum constable. He has to read all this crap, do you get that? And decide who is the bigger idiot among us. If it were me, this forum probably wouldn't exist anymore.

The moderator has repeatedly in the past ignored me when I have reported posts and when I follow up so stop the crap with references to polite discussion.

The point I made was and went zip over your head is that  responding to something not considered of topic, I.e., derailing can't be unless it introduces a different topic that might be. It's not derailing to challenge an allowed subject.  Ifanything what I might have been banned for  was supposedly using insulting words. 

You even know what derailing means? You know what trolling means?   When is something off topic? Are you telling me that when certain people go off topic on this forum  they are moderated? 

You read the  gawd damn posts. You see the double standard on who can say what whether it's off topic or rude. 

Itsvinconsusteng and it comes about based on a moderator becoming bias from moderating too long and losing their neutrality and listening to certain complaints but not others and cultivating negative familiarity.

Telling someone their analysis was brilliant that is a point off? Why? Please tell me. Telling someone Churchill stands for the exact opposite of what they said for  is insulting?  That is unacceptable? Bullshit.  Taxme who I directed that to has engaged in white supremacist neo Naxi opining on this board  and I challenge it. You support his opinions good for you. I do not. On a thread with a Churchill statute  ban as the topic what the phack did his comrade Trudeau have to do with it? How was that not derailing but my response to it was?  How did  I go off topic on something  not off topic?  Tell me how that works.

Tell me how does Taxme sho supports racist views about whites support Churchill? Tell me? How is saying that point went zip over his head a point off? You explain.

How am I a liar calling these inconsistencies out?Kind of ironic a moderator telling me not to insult responds clearly with one.

Yah yah he can I can't. 

What if I say zip over your head will you call me a liar? Of course not. 

I have  given up trying to figure out the inconsistencies of Taylor.. ...I also argue all moderators need to be changed they lose their objectivity.

Moderation needs to be consistent with everyone equally. 

Ask Charles Taylor if he know the difference between a moderator and a prosecutor. Ask him if he really believes he is not overly familiar with certain posters from being a moderator too long and needs to call it quits now. 

Edited by Rue
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rue said:

The moderator has repeatedly in the past ignored me...

It's a pity. But look, I am not ignoring you. Count your blessings?

It's like in sports and referee knows you. He's been the ref for a long time. He even remembers when you were a kid. And you were a douchebag then. Maybe you are still a douchebag now? Why not, it's a reasonable guess.

But you are not a douchebag Rue, not to me. Well, not yet anyway. I enjoy your reading posts, despite that they can sometimes be rather lengthy and meandering screeds. Oh well, we all gotta get it off our chest sometime. I look think of the forum as therapy. We are all mental patients, and this is group therapy and the moderator is the shrink. You are more agitated lately for some reason, and are having problems interacting with the group. Now try saying guzzfrava with me... there you go... guzzfrava...

• Like 1

On 2/25/2008 at 8:07 PM, Rue said:

Shut up poo head.

Lol. I think that is what they are trying to avoid.

Now of course if I said , "shut up you American poo head " some might confuse that with a political opinion when its still me calling you a poo head.

However on that note, I admit I am a poo head.

I assumed you were refering to a mutual love of the works of A.A.Milne.

1 hour ago, Iceni warrior said:

I assumed you were refering to a mutual love of the works of A.A.Milne.

I defer to you. Yes. Lol!  Humour much much appreciated.

The inconsistency in  moderation on this forum, specifically in regards to  trolling, derailing, hijacking, insulting, who gets banned   I believe has grown sufficiently inconsistent to the point it can appear  unfairly selective as to older posters  on this forum not just me. 

I argue a moderator will losevghdir neutrality if they stay in the position too long developing resentment and contempt for certain posters.

Charles Taylor called me as liar let him explain why he trolled like that but will censor others for saying the same thing.

What did I lie about? Please explain. What statement? Is my saying responding to a thread on the banning of a Churchill statute calling Trudeau out and discussing  Trudeau as being off the topic of the thread as lie? Explain why. How is that a lie? 

Is Charles Taylor capable of questioning his own perspecyivebon shat HD thinks derailing, hijacking means?  Is he using the same consistent standard for all when he thinks he must intervene? 

Instead of calling me a liar let him explain the standard he uses and how making subjective comments about Trudeau on a thread about Churchill  is on topic. Explain how callingbthztbout as brilliant znzlysuxvis a dixciplinary offencd. Explain how challenging a poster who has openly stated white neo Nazi opinions on this board coming on the thread not ironic? Do I need to explain to the moderatorcsho Churchill defeated. Is saying thztvgoes zip over his head bannable? 

Of course I am spitting mad. This kind of moderation is so inconsistent as to appear petulant and overreacting due to over  familiarity with me.

It's not just me. Its many older posters.

Do we have the right to express ourselves as about it since trying to get an answer from the moderator is not possible?

I have asked for clarifications of rules. I am still waiting. Like other posterscwhdn we ask we get no answers. So we come to these CV off topic forum areas.

Edited by Rue

20 hours ago, Rue said:

What because I disagree with you I am a liar?  I did not lie and my words are public domain. You know exactly what I wrote.Why would I lie?  Charles Taylor you are out of line.

No --- not because you disagree but because you omit the truth that matters.  I aint discussing the veracity of your sarcasm.  Do not gas-lighting the public over this.  

You were told the same thing multiple times:  If you encounter a fellow member violating the forum rules, report it and ignore it and do not respond in kind.  If you refuse to follow that order, then your posting privileges will be suspended. 

On 7/13/2020 at 8:47 AM, Rue said:

His comments clearly had nothing to do with the thread.

By your own admission, you have the discernment to follow the forum rules.

On 1/17/2008 at 6:17 AM, Charles Anthony said:

That quotation in my signature which YOU present as an insult was very well defended and explained, in my opinion. It is not presented as a cheap, drive-by insult nor as a joke. It is a profound statement of opinion on Canadian culture which transcends politics and I honestly believe it is accurate.

Oh, so you do speak french.

This is again the perfect example of how this forum, and you specifically are ridiculous partisan hacks

You have a problem with people using abbreviations because they may be politically charged, yet see no problem using "récit" to describe a flourishing people's and nation.

You and this "political forum" are a joke

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

You are nitpicking here.  A single statement from 12 years invalidates the forum ?  Who are you to say ?  263 points... congratulations...

Not "nitpicking" at all

This is the same issue ive been trying to adress since being chastised for a response i gave, in which no explanation was given

If you feel moderating based on your own personal political view point is acceptable that is your prerogative. 

I on the other hand take offense when a "moderator" not only decides what he considers relevant to the discussion, but purposefully creates a new "tread" intentionally choosing words ( i say intentionally because i don't question his intelligence or command of language) to disparage not only my comment but an entire people.

My interjection here was to adress the hypocrisy of someone asking people to not use abbreviations to describe adherents of a particular political party at the risk of being offensive, yet refers to the history of one of the founding people's of this country, with a word "récit" that ostensibly refers to short stories often fictional.

If one can't separate their own political bias from their ability to moderate, they should be removed as a moderator, the fact he's been allowed to continue this long just shows (me at least) that the administration has zero desire for a forum where a true exchange of ideas can take place

2 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

yet see no problem using "récit" to describe a flourishing people's and nation.

Do not gas-light the public.  You were given an opportunity to create a separate thread with a descriptive title of your own choice but you refused in favor of continuing to derail an active thread.  The rest is addressed here:  

https://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/40448-can-you-please-explain-thread-hijacking/?do=findComment&comment=1412850

1 hour ago, SkyHigh said:

1. if you feel moderating based on your own personal political view point is acceptable that is your prerogative. 

2. If one can't separate their own political bias from their ability to moderate, they should be removed as a moderator, the fact he's been allowed to continue this long just shows (me at least) that the administration has zero desire for a forum where a true exchange of ideas can take place

1. Well the moderation robot used too many AA batteries so they got rid of it.  Unfortunately the only option was a human being who comes with a point of view, kind of like every person.

2. The moderators here are accused of being politically left sometimes and right sometimes.  That's a sign that they are doing a good job IMO.

The exchange of ideas here is just fine.  FInd something better if you need to, but I don't think that you would be satisfied.

22 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't usually ask but that one really does beg the question.  :huh:

Somebody quoted and responded and engaged the post in question before I got a chance to see it. Ergo, the post was not censored.   

34 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Reporting and ignoring was unsuccessful in this instance.  

What do you want?  Be prudent before you answer that question because you are protesting about 1 post in a thread that is over 25 pages in duration and in which you have contributed nothing.  

If you want your fellow members to be censored or if you want to control public discourse, then I am sorry, you will be unsuccessful.  

If you want to continue to enjoy your freedom of expression here, then you are welcome.  

1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

What do you want?  Be prudent before you answer that question because you are protesting about 1 post in a thread that is over 25 pages in duration and in which you have contributed nothing.  

I have contributed to that thread, here.  Anyway, why would it matter if I'd contributed nothing?  That's irrelevant.

If you want your fellow members to be censored or if you want to control public discourse, then I am sorry, you will be unsuccessful.  

Oh, BS.  The rules on this forum are that personal insults and comments are forbidden and that such will be sanctioned.  I'm merely attempting to help you enforce your rules:

• Be polite and respect others.
  • No Trolling/Flaming.
  • No personal attacks.

If I wanted to censor or control fellow posters, you'd be hearing a lot more from me - especially about the Russian bots and trolls that are allowed free rein here.

If you want to continue to enjoy your freedom of expression here, then you are welcome.  

So next time I feel that someone deserves to be insulted, I expect my post to stand as an expression of my "freedom of expression" and to see nothing from you in my inbox. 

In the meantime, I got a point in July 2019 for calling someone a hypocrite.  I expect that point to be removed since the rule against insulting other posters don't really matter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dialamah said:

I have contributed to that thread, here.  Anyway, why would it matter if I'd contributed nothing?  That's irrelevant.

Oh, BS.  The rules on this forum are that personal insults and comments are forbidden and that such will be sanctioned.  I'm merely attempting to help you enforce your rules:

• Be polite and respect others.
  • No Trolling/Flaming.
  • No personal attacks.

If I wanted to censor or control fellow posters, you'd be hearing a lot more from me - especially about the Russian bots and trolls that are allowed free rein here.

So next time I feel that someone deserves to be insulted, I expect my post to stand as an expression of my "freedom of expression" and to see nothing from you in my inbox. 

In the meantime, I got a point in July 2019 for calling someone a hypocrite.  I expect that point to be removed since the rule against insulting other posters don't really matter.

There's no such thing as freedom of expression on a privately run website.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, dialamah said:

I have contributed to that thread, here

I am sorry.  I take that back.

.... and that such will be sanctioned. 

No.  That is a misunderstanding but that is close enough to answering my question: you want sanction.  There are few choices:  

1) delete the offending post  

2) suspend the offending member's posting privileges temporarily 

3) ban the offending member permanently 

4) some of the above  

5) something else  

In this particular case, what do you want?

On 7/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, dialamah said:

So next time I feel that someone deserves to be insulted,

If that is the best conclusion that you can draw, then do not post a reply at all if your intent is to satisfy your such feelings.  Ask somebody in real life what they think about your conclusion and your approach.  You are going to have to forgive me but I have a bias problem: I am Canadian.

I say "Sorry." when somebody else bumps into me. How odd is that? For some strange reason, most everybody else of my kind seems to do the same. That is just the way it is and I have grown to consider that normal etiquette.  Where I live, offensive expression inundates life.  Everywhere I have been in this country, most folks seem to manage fine mounting mature challenges in public discourse or simply ignoring it all and moving on.  

The forum rules and guidelines epitomize the Canadian identity. They aint much to ask and most of you all seem to get along quite swimmingly --- with humor, to boot.  Let us celebrate your freedom of expression while it lasts. 

Why not challenge an offensive post with a retort of logic or reason or simply controlled emotion?  Write an interesting response or inject a bit of pleasant humor. Here is a possible format: "I am sorry but what you wrote is wrong because BLAH logic BLAH and offensive because YADDA reason YADDA and I wish you would not write that ever again because HOWDY HOWDY emotion HOWDY HOW if you do not mind.  Please and thank you."

Simply put: If somebody else's post hurts your feelings, then feel free to explain your thoughts in such a manner that furthers the discussion.  

6 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

No.  That is a misunderstanding but that is close enough to answering my question: you want sanction.  

From the guidelines:

Insults

Insults are the ammunition of the unintelligent - do not use them. It is okay to criticize a policy, decision, action or comment. Such criticism is part of healthy debate. It is not okay to criticize a person's character or directly insult them, regardless of their position or actions. Derogatory terms such as "loser", "idiot", etc are not permitted unless the context clearly implies that it is not serious.

Rule of thumb: play the ball, not the person (i.e. Tackle the argument, not the person making it).  People who have a history of antagonistic behaviour will be treated more harshly than those who do not. Insults leveled at third-parties (companies, political parties, nationalities) are also forbidden in the forums. Avoid using abbreviated terms such as "Cons" or "Libs" that may be offensive to the group to which they refer. Full names are best and official abbreviations are acceptable.

Do not use diminutives or character substitutions in proper names that are not recognized by the original person to whom the reference is being made. For example, former Prime Minister Stephen Harper does not identify himself as Stevie therefore, it is unacceptable to identify him as Stevie. Likewise, Paul Martin did not identify himself as Mr. Dithers, therefore, it is unacceptable to identify him as Mr. Dithers.

In the discussion forums, such infractions will be considered as third-party insults.

The 'guidelines' are broken on a regular basis on this forum, and the instruction from moderators has been to "report and ignore".  If you are going to invite help in maintaining "intelligent, honest and responsible discussion", you can't then object to such reports because some kind of response is expected.

In this particular case, what do you want?

I'd like the guidelines changed to reflect what is actually permitted on this forum.  "It's ok to insult others, if someone happens to respond to your post"; "we'll give you points, but they don't matter"; "say whatever you want, we moderate based on personal feelings about the topic, the poster or the reporter".  Whatever it is that actually happens in terms of moderation should be accurately described - that way at least we'll know what to expect.

50 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Why not challenge an offensive post with a retort of logic or reason or simply controlled emotion? 

Simply put: If somebody else's post hurts your feelings, then feel free to explain your thoughts in such a manner that furthers the discussion.  

All righty then, if this is to be the response - please drop the request to "report and ignore" when someone breaks the guidelines.

And for the record, the post calling someone a 'racist piece of garbage' did not hurt my feelings.  I was merely interested in trying to raise the quality of discourse on this forum to what I previously believed the moderators wanted.   There are a lot of such posts to choose from, if I was very zealous about this, but this one seemed particularly egregious so I reported it.

52 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

The forum rules and guidelines epitomize the Canadian identity.

Then perhaps you can sum them up with "Just be yourselves, Canadians.  Discuss seriously, insult others, joke around, flame to your heart's content, post your favorite conspiracy theory, we don't care."

I know moderating is a tough job, and for all the time I've been here I've more or less supported the moderation; I don't expect you to be able to catch and address every contravention of the guidelines, have never objected when my own posts have been sanctioned, even when I felt it unfair and have taken seriously the advice to "report and ignore" - until now.    

In any case, thank you for clarifying the latitude that is allowed for posting for some people/topics or whatever.   I'll be sure to ignore the "report and ignore" advice from here on.  I'm happy to respond directly to posts that fail any of the guidelines, as is now suggested.

Do not play games.  

The only expectation upon you is to follow the forum rules and guidelines as best as you can. If you follow the forum rules and guidelines to the best of your abilities, then you should expect to be left alone to freely express yourself.