Is the Harper government doing a good job?

Is the Harper government doing a good job?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops! you forgot to say 'fascist'! you are losing your edge!

Oh sorry, Harper is a big fat fascist. There. Got my edge back? Don't step out of line, citizens, or the big bad ottawa fascist Harper- daddy will tear down your pants in public and spank you. If you don't like the rules of his New Canada, then pack yer shit and get out. As long as you live under his sky then you will OBEY the Harper-Daddy or suffer the consequences.

Perhaps tommorrow your authoritarian dictator, Harper can introduce a bill that would criminalize running with scissors? That should carry a mandaTORY minimum of what ? 2 years? or would the 6 months that a person gets under the tory drug laws for growing a single pot plant be enough to deter running with scissors? I'm no expert on the proper way to control other people's lives so maybe one of you conservatives could suggest the proper cookie cutter solution, the ideal jail term that running with scissors should be met with?

Normally I wouldn't want regulation to infringe on normal people, but like with driving those who are blind are not permitted.....and those with special needs should run with scissors.

Perhaps tommorrow your authoritarian dictator, Harper can introduce a bill that would criminalize running with scissors? That should carry a mandaTORY minimum of what ? 2 years? or would the 6 months that a person gets under the tory drug laws for growing a single pot plant be enough to deter running with scissors? I'm no expert on the proper way to control other people's lives so maybe one of you conservatives could suggest the proper cookie cutter solution, the ideal jail term that running with scissors should be met with?

why do you say authoritarian? what dictatorial thing has he done that is out of line with what the PMO is supposed to be doing?

Oh sorry, Harper is a big fat fascist. There. Got my edge back? Don't step out of line, citizens, or the big bad ottawa fascist Harper- daddy will tear down your pants in public and spank you. If you don't like the rules of his New Canada, then pack yer shit and get out. As long as you live under his sky then you will OBEY the Harper-Daddy or suffer the consequences.

Unfortunately, that is how the Canadian gov't works. The PM is given extrordinary powers, especially amongst his fellow party members. These are the powers that the Canadian constitution and coventions give the PM. It is the system, and one that is fightening and in need of reform IMO.

Do not think for one second that most of the other PM's didn't enforce their will on those they controlled like Harper does.

The only thing Harper is going a good job at is keeping secrets, playing games when it comes to committee meetings especially the Cadman committee that the Chair(conservative) keeps walking out on everytime he doesn't get this way.Do anything to protect your leader from coming to the committee to answer questions ! Harper never tells the truth about the war, although today he slipped and said the war will go on for many years. Today he's telling Quebec, that if they vote for him and he gets a majority, he'll open the constitution!! How high is Harper willing to go for a majority, as much as offering an insurance policy?????? I don't think Harper is good for Canada and I hope he never gets his majority!!

The only thing Harper is going a good job at is keeping secrets, playing games when it comes to committee meetings especially the Cadman committee that the Chair(conservative) keeps walking out on everytime he doesn't get this way.Do anything to protect your leader from coming to the committee to answer questions ! Harper never tells the truth about the war, although today he slipped and said the war will go on for many years. Today he's telling Quebec, that if they vote for him and he gets a majority, he'll open the constitution!! How high is Harper willing to go for a majority, as much as offering an insurance policy?????? I don't think Harper is good for Canada and I hope he never gets his majority!!

Umm Art Hanger followed committee procedure, it was the liberal members that were out of order, even the house speaker recognizes this, why won't you?

why do you say authoritarian? what dictatorial thing has he done that is out of line with what the PMO is supposed to be doing?

Apparently you don't think that a mandatory jail sentence of six months for one marijuana plant falls into that category. Some would argue that it's dictatorial to remove a judge's ability to decide that one marijuana plant deserves only five months in jail, or horrors, even less.

Does the authoritarian so-con Harper really want to model Canada after the US which has a higher percentage of it's citizens in jail than any other country in the world? More than 1% of all Americans are now behind bars, primarily for drug offenses.

There is not enough jail space to incarcerate those people who will now have to serve time under Harper's dictatorial new legislation:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...5ed&k=72082

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roger

To me, Harper is one very, very, very scary politician... especially as Prime Minister of Canada!

On the surface, with his clean 'Ken-Barby-like appearance' he seems to project someone who keeps his word... ie: first term in office promises. However, during the second term, he seems to be taking on a more control-freak, secretive style... not unlike Bush, and his government cronies in the USA.

Firstly, why are we in Afganastan... where was the FULL PUBLIC DEBATE before we sent our soldiers to fight and die. Is this Pax-Americanus war worth 70+ of our soldiers dying for? Is this Pax-Americanus war worth creating 70+ widows, and widowers? Is this Pax-American war worth scores and scores of children loosing a parent?

Secondly, in the USA, Congressional and Senatorial legislation seems to be laced with obscure pork-belly and special-interest articles attached to MAJOR legislation... whether it has anything to do with the primary thrust of the legislation or not. Recently, I understand Harper did the same thing (issue illudes me... some help here please) by submitting a bill labelled as a 'confidance bill' here in Canada! The result was: hold your nose because of the 'addon'... just pass the bill, or kill the bill so we can have a spring election.

It's this kind of sleaze that I really, really object to. If I can't read a proposed bill that is clear, and succinct in its objective, devoid of all sneaky 'off-bill focus' articles, I begin to fear for the future. To what new low-level-of-sleaze might we as Canadians experience, should Harper and his cronies form another government.

Left unchecked, this type of American sleaze could lead us to a road we, as Canadians, may not want to travel. Might we become known to the world as 'American-light'!

How about Harpers spending habits! As a so-called economist by training, he gave away billions of dollars for a fuzzy, feel-good lower GST rate. The ecomomy is slowing... big time! Now, Canada will not have a multi billion dollar suplus cushion to sustain the country during the slowdown. The TD bank is projecting a 1.3 billion short fall in Federal Government revenue for the 2009 fiscal year. Is this a portent of things to come... the Mulrooney years revisited!

Remember Mulroony! Year after year, during his tenure as Prime Minister our gross national debt exploded from approximately 175 billion (Trudeau legacy) to approximately 580 billion by the time Mulrooney left office... about 8 years later. Are we to expect the same from Harper now that economic hard times are most surely forthcoming in the next 6 to 12 months.

I belive I have a 'RIGHT' to be really, really, really scared!

Firstly, why are we in Afganastan... where was the FULL PUBLIC DEBATE before we sent our soldiers to fight and die. Is this Pax-Americanus war worth 70+ of our soldiers dying for? Is this Pax-Americanus war worth creating 70+ widows, and widowers? Is this Pax-American war worth scores and scores of children loosing a parent?

Um, Harper wasn't PM when we went into Afghanistan. He wasn't PM when we went into Khandahar either. Chreiten actually blames those deaths on Martin's dithering.

How many widows and widowers did 911 create? How many toddlers and chidren were killed? Afghanistan isn't Pax-American war,it is a world response to state-sponsored terrorism. Hopefully this forum will give you an education. Ignorance is scary.

Edited by noahbody

Welcome to MLW Roger.

To me, Harper is one very, very, very scary politician... especially as Prime Minister of Canada!

Yes, I've heard that a lot since 2004. Frankly, before Harper was elected leader of the Conservative party I knew very little about him. Due to my total disgust with the corrupt Liberals of the day, I changed my vote from Liberal to Conservative. So far, I don't really know what all the fuss is about. I think this change of government has been good for Canada. You know, giving the Liberals a time out so they could get their act together and reflect on the direction the party was taking. The Liberal party has not yet fully atoned for having broken the trust of Canadians. Sadly, I think they have entered into an even darker stage in their history and it will be some time before they regain the trust of the majority of Canadians.

On the surface, with his clean 'Ken-Barby-like appearance' he seems to project someone who keeps his word... ie: first term in office promises. However, during the second term, he seems to be taking on a more control-freak, secretive style... not unlike Bush, and his government cronies in the USA.

But...but... he was controlling and secretive from day one. So there is nothing new to learn. It's all out there for all of us to see. Roger, here we don't have terms as in the US. We are currently in the 39th Parliament. I grant you, Harper does seem to get on well with Dubya. Don't you fret. After November you and other concerned Canadians won't have to worry about Bush junior. Your angst is coming to an end.

Firstly, why are we in Afganastan... where was the FULL PUBLIC DEBATE before we sent our soldiers to fight and die.

I would also like an answer to that question. I wonder if Jean Chretien could provide the answer. But we know the answer don't we. We're in Afghanistan because Chretien didn't want to commit Canada to Iraq so "le p'tit gars de Shawinigan" committed us to Afghanistan as Canada's effort in the war on terrorism. I'm curious. At the time, did you ask the Liberals of the day why they committed Canada to Afghanistan and why there was no public debate beforehand?

Is this Pax-Americanus war worth 70+ of our soldiers dying for? Is this Pax-Americanus war worth creating 70+ widows, and widowers? Is this Pax-American war worth scores and scores of children loosing a parent?

Pax means peace.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pax

I don't think you meant to use that word in the context of insinuating that Afghanistan is an American mission. Afghanistan is a NATO led UN mission in which the Americans are participants. You need to research the subject before spouting off this inaccurate stuff.

Did you know that many of the soldiers who died were single? No widows there, no scores and scores of children losing a parent. However, there are grieving parents and friends. Each casualty is heartbreaking and mourned. War is hell and soldiers die.

Secondly, in the USA, Congressional and Senatorial legislation seems to be laced with obscure pork-belly and special-interest articles attached to MAJOR legislation... whether it has anything to do with the primary thrust of the legislation or not. Recently, I understand Harper did the same thing (issue illudes me... some help here please) by submitting a bill labelled as a 'confidance bill' here in Canada! The result was: hold your nose because of the 'addon'... just pass the bill, or kill the bill so we can have a spring election.

"Some help here please". You lost me here. If you're going to make a point, at least do your own research and provide references. You expect us to do it for you? Fat chance.

It's this kind of sleaze that I really, really object to. If I can't read a proposed bill that is clear, and succinct in its objective, devoid of all sneaky 'off-bill focus' articles, I begin to fear for the future. To what new low-level-of-sleaze might we as Canadians experience, should Harper and his cronies form another government.

I sensed your disgust from the beginning of your post. Canadians are quite aware of what low level sleaze looks like. That's why there was a change in government. If Canadians think the Conservatives will serve up sleaze, they will punish them, just as they did with the Liberals.

Left unchecked, this type of American sleaze could lead us to a road we, as Canadians, may not want to travel. Might we become known to the world as 'American-light'!

The only way the Conservatives will be left unchecked is if the official opposition, that is the Liberals, don't start taking their responsibilities seriously and hold the government accountable. So far, what they have done is prop up the Conservatives, abandon their principles and resort to "gotcha" politics by digging for decades old tapes to tarnish the government.

IMO the world has better things to do than to examine Canada-US relations to see if we emulate our neighbour. I wouldn't be too concerned about our international reputation on that count.

How about Harpers spending habits! As a so-called economist by training, he gave away billions of dollars for a fuzzy, feel-good lower GST rate.

Not a popular move with economists it appears, but Canadians clearly approved. In the end, pleasing the majority of Canadians proved quite popular.

The ecomomy is slowing... big time! Now, Canada will not have a multi billion dollar suplus cushion to sustain the country during the slowdown. The TD bank is projecting a 1.3 billion short fall in Federal Government revenue for the 2009 fiscal year. Is this a portent of things to come... the Mulrooney years revisited!

True, we may have to tighten our belts in the future. I don't know enough to determine how worried we should be. I fail to see how this relates to the Muroney years. If you care to, you might want to elaborate.

Remember Mulroony! Year after year, during his tenure as Prime Minister our gross national debt exploded from approximately 175 billion (Trudeau legacy) to approximately 580 billion by the time Mulrooney left office... about 8 years later. Are we to expect the same from Harper now that economic hard times are most surely forthcoming in the next 6 to 12 months.

I won't bother looking up your claims because frankly, this just sounds like rhetoric to reinforce your dislike of the Conservative government.

Be really, really, really afraid. Have you looked under your bed? Seriously Roger, if you're that scared just vote for another party in the next election and you know what would be even better? Run for office or work for the candidate of your choice.

Um, Harper wasn't PM when we went into Afghanistan. He wasn't PM when we went into Khandahar either. Chreiten actually blames those deaths on Martin's dithering.

How many widows and widowers did 911 create? How many toddlers and chidren were killed? Afghanistan isn't Pax-American war,it is a world response to state-sponsored terrorism. Hopefully this forum will give you an education. Ignorance is scary.

He is constipated..Looks like a protestant minister...who makes love the missionary way.

The polls show that neither Harper of Dion are a favourite person to be PM and I wonder who will replace Harper when he's gone? I think Jim Prentice would probably try for the leadership. I think alot of the downside of the Cons is Harper. If they had a different leader I think people may change their mind about the Cons.

The polls show that neither Harper of Dion are a favourite person to be PM and I wonder who will replace Harper when he's gone? I think Jim Prentice would probably try for the leadership. I think alot of the downside of the Cons is Harper. If they had a different leader I think people may change their mind about the Cons.

Certainly the Liberals would do a lot better with a different leader also! I used to hate the way the old PC's under Joe Clark and Brian Mulroney tried to hug the same middle of the road that the Liberals were on. But I didn't expect the new Conservatives were going to ape the Republican strategy of cultivating a religious right that will be motivated by an appeal to "faith" issues like cancelling universal daycare and censoring movies sponsored by the National Filmboard. They will be like the dedicated core of Republican voters, who support the people and the policies that are driving them into poverty, because they have God on their side!

But I didn't expect the new Conservatives were going to ape the Republican strategy of cultivating a religious right that will be motivated by an appeal to "faith" issues like cancelling universal daycare and censoring movies sponsored by the National Filmboard.

They didn't. You're just misinformed that's all.

Apparently you don't think that a mandatory jail sentence of six months for one marijuana plant falls into that category. Some would argue that it's dictatorial to remove a judge's ability to decide that one marijuana plant deserves only five months in jail, or horrors, even less.

No, not if the PC government is trying to make penalties harsher. Also according to one of the links you posted, they enacted it as legislation (ie using the democratic process) ... not dictatorial.

Does the authoritarian so-con Harper really want to model Canada after the US which has a higher percentage of it's citizens in jail than any other country in the world? More than 1% of all Americans are now behind bars, primarily for drug offenses.

I dont know, i didnt ask him, but that has nothing to do with my question of what dictatorial thing did he do that is beyond the scope of the PMO. also, and i ask this honestly, what is a so-con?

There is not enough jail space to incarcerate those people who will now have to serve time under Harper's dictatorial new legislation:

haha... see a completely different solution came to my mind here... they could stop breaking the bloody law by growing that crap. im just saying

Remember Mulroony! Year after year, during his tenure as Prime Minister our gross national debt exploded from approximately 175 billion (Trudeau legacy) to approximately 580 billion by the time Mulrooney left office...

My feelings exactly. The conservatives have one of those sneaky bills proposed right now that ties a bill to toughen regulations on foriegn products, supposedly to prevent stuff like lead paint toys coming here from china, to a bill that makes it easier for pharmaceutical products to be approved more quickly. Considering the products already getting through like vioxx, celebrex etc that are later proven unsafe, why would we want less scrutiny on new chemical pharmaceutical products? What does one issue have to do with the other? Why are they tied together as a confidence motion? Why is our helath minister allowed to hold pharmaceutical stocks when decisions he makes can affect the value of his stocks?

And once again why are we letting them increase penalties for choosing natural, herbal, plant-based medicines like cannabis and opium over pharmaceuticals? Why can they sell us patented synthetic concentrates of these same substances? Can't anybody see how ridiculous that is? They are proposing a bill to put people in jail for a single cannabis plant, and another one to speed up approvals of the drugs THEY sell. Cannabis has been around for all recorded history and has never caused a single death. THEIR products kill hundreds of thousands of people a year. I think the naturally occuring medicines have been tested for thousands of years and are historically proven to be safe and effective, if anything needs more testing it is the patented, made for profit chemicals the drug peddlers are selling.

Edited by DrGreenthumb