Pot profits pay for guns!

Here's the link:

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStorie...mp_drugs_071217

Now how can this be? Were we not all assured that the real problem was guns stolen from legal gun owners?

Surely, after we spent a billion dollars or so for the Liberal gun registry this news account must be totally bogus! I guess it's just a figamentation of our imagination, as Bullwinkle J Moose used to say.

Legalize pot and there would be no one exchanging pot for guns would there?

Last time I wanted a bottle of Frangelico (my preferred Holiday spirits) I simply went to the liquor store. I tried to trade them my gun for the bottle, but they would have none of it so I simply had to give them some ID and some money.

Too bad our antiquated gov't can't wrap their puny brains around the fact that if pot were legal it would remove the criminal element.

Dumbasses.

Last time I wanted a bottle of Frangelico (my preferred Holiday spirits) I simply went to the liquor store. I tried to trade them my gun for the bottle, but they would have none of it so I simply had to give them some ID and some money.

Too bad our antiquated gov't can't wrap their puny brains around the fact that if pot were legal it would remove the criminal element.

Dumbasses.

Also legalizing murder and stealing would remove the criminal element from those. Lefty logic, if everything is legal there is no crime. :rolleyes:

I know your question is rhetorical but are you sure? I don't think it is a slam dunk, really. Legalize handguns and there would be no one trading them across the border. Takes the criminal element right out of it, right?

Legalizing pot in Canada would definitely change the playing field but the US is a big market and they would have to do so as well. Fierce "legal" competition in Canada for the US "illegal" market would not necessarily eliminate the criminal element.

Legalize it everywhere and you would soon find society stagnate. Society has to have a means to discourage drug use, I think. I'm not certain that laws are the best means but more needs to be understood about drugs and human behavior than we currently know.

Dumbasses.

It is odd that there is a need for drugs. I suppose the horrid boredom, stress, injustice, sadness and general futility of life makes them seem a welcome distraction and alternative to living life and experiencing the hell that it is. Right, Drea?

After all the gazillion threads on the legalization of innocuous marijuana some people still think it's an "evil" weed that causes "reefer madness". For pete sake people that was propaganda from a few generations ago... get over it.

Hey Wilber, I never called YOU a dumbass, I called the govt a dumbass (you are not the gov't are you?). I expect an apology. Thank you in advance.

You righties, I tell yah...!

"Oh no, if we legalize marijuana the USA will implode, or stop trading with us, or invade or something really really terrible."

And yes, chicken little, the sky IS falling.

Pffffffft.

Surely, after we spent a billion dollars or so for the Liberal gun registry this news account must be totally bogus! I guess it's just a figamentation of our imagination, as Bullwinkle J Moose used to say.

Worked up socially conservative brain simply can't hold more than one thing together, at a time. There must be one simple solution, for everything. One simple drummable slogan and all our crime issues will go away!

Edited by myata

After all the gazillion threads on the legalization of innocuous marijuana some people still think it's an "evil" weed that causes "reefer madness". For pete sake people that was propaganda from a few generations ago... get over it.

Hey Wilber, I never called YOU a dumbass, I called the govt a dumbass (you are not the gov't are you?). I expect an apology. Thank you in advance.

"Oh no, if we legalize marijuana the USA will implode, or stop trading with us, or invade or something really really terrible."

Pffffffft.

I see the inanely shallow analysis of yours is not confined to religion. Do you treat all topics with cartoonish simplicity?

Here's the link:

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStorie...mp_drugs_071217

Now how can this be? Were we not all assured that the real problem was guns stolen from legal gun owners?

People who want guns will get them. Saying they come from legal gun owners or from pot profits is simply empty rhetoric. The criminal life starts to look pretty exciting to the dull, controlled and oppressed lives under the nanny state. Is there any doubt why drugs and crime are such a draw when being a regular citizen becomes a sentence of work, pay your taxes and die.

I know your question is rhetorical but are you sure? I don't think it is a slam dunk, really. Legalize handguns and there would be no one trading them across the border. Takes the criminal element right out of it, right?

And in the USA where guns are legal and prolific, no one gets killed by guns, criminals don't have guns, right Pliny?

Legalizing pot in Canada would definitely change the playing field but the US is a big market and they would have to do so as well. Fierce "legal" competition in Canada for the US "illegal" market would not necessarily eliminate the criminal element.

Well then I suppose the mighty USA would have to beef up border security. Not our problem, their problem.

Legalize it everywhere and you would soon find society stagnate. Society has to have a means to discourage drug use, I think. I'm not certain that laws are the best means but more needs to be understood about drugs and human behavior than we currently know.

You don't smoke it and would not rush out to try it if it were legal so what in the heck you ranting about? "aaaah, legalize pot and every single citizen will be lazy and eatin' doritos".

It is odd that there is a need for drugs. I suppose the horrid boredom, stress, injustice, sadness and general futility of life makes them seem a welcome distraction and alternative to living life and experiencing the hell that it is. Right, Drea?

Ever have a drink of an alchoholic beverage? Juice does taste better so why do people insist on drinking stuff that tastes so awful? To get high, to get an effect from the alcohol. How many people will die this holiday season due to drinking? How many will die because of smoking pot?

Pot is the antidote for stress, not the other way round sillies. It is a calming drug.

Those who have no clue as to the effect of a substance tout their unsubstantiated "facts" when in actuality they are clueless.

Edited by Drea

I see the inanely shallow analysis of yours is not confined to religion. Do you treat all topics with cartoonish simplicity?

Idiocy in all forms is fair game, not just religion.

I love you too Scotty, anything to add to the topic or are you just gonna be my puppy (follow me around the board) for the day?

There's not much point in trying to talk sense into these conservative types Drea, you might as well try to teach advanced math to your hamster.

Only a conservative could see a plant as being more dangerous than a gun. Only a conservative believes that alcohol should be considered a food instead of a drug. Wait for it, any minute now one of these conservatives will tell you that alcohol can be used responsibly, but all drug use is abuse, again forgetting that alcohol is indeed a drug, and a much harder drug than cannabis.

Forget trying to sway them with facts and common sense, fundamentalist types would rather rely on their "beliefs".

Pffffffft.

OK, you're not a dumbass but it is a dumbass simplistic attitude. I'm fairly ambivalent on the "evils" of pot, believing it to be neither the miraculous wonder drug of its most avid proponents or the great threat of its biggest detractors, but somewhere in between. I do believe that anyone who thinks Canada legalizing it unilaterally is going to take organized crime out of the picture, is either deceiving themselves or making a concerted effort to deceive others.

Like it or not, the US is not going to take kindly to our selling "legally" grown pot to organized crime in their country which means our government will not allow it, meaning organized crime will still be involved in the production of illegal pot to ship south. In short, nothing much changes on that front. I don't know exactly what the US reaction would be but why should anyone who's livelihood or standard of living depends on Canada's relationship with the US, jeopardize it or even have to spend longer in border lineups just so you can get stoned? Not me. Sorry but my view on this is more pragmatic than principled.

I never said anything about crossing the border with pot. Why should any Candian citizen spend any time in jail for using a plant in Canada, just so that you don't have to wait longer at the border? I think havig to wait longer at the border is a little less of an inconvenience than being deprived of your freedom, and locked in a cage like an animal. There is no justification for caging humans for using plants, nor any justification for criminalizing nature. Have you put out an arrest warrant yet for God? After all He is responsible for creating Cannabis, and Poppies, and coca, and all the other plants that have had laws passed against them. How can you make nature illegal? That is such nonsense. Punish the sinners and pass the pharmaceuticals eh?

Edited by DrGreenthumb

I think havig to wait longer at the border is a little less of an inconvenience than being deprived of your freedom, and locked in a cage like an animal.

I choose not to do things that are illegal so it is not an issue for me. We all make our choices and live with the consequences.

Who do you know who has spent time in jail for using pot? We don't even put the people who grow and sell it in jail, at least not until they have 10 or 15 convictions. If they haven't learned by then, I have no sympathy for them.

If the conservatives get their way we will be putting a lot of Canadians in jail for pot offences, there are thousands in jail, on house arrest or doing "community service"(free labour) already.

You just keep up that closed minded I'm ok, f#ck you, attitude and see how far it gets you in life. More than half the population of this country think that pot should be legalized or decriminalized. In the under 40 crowd I'd say that number is closer to 80%. So keep being the dinosaur party and soon you will be extint, thank goodness.

My generation will end this injustice even if you baby boomers are too chickenshit.

If the conservatives get their way we will be putting a lot of Canadians in jail for pot offences, there are thousands in jail, on house arrest or doing "community service"(free labour) already.

Thousands in jail for possession of pot? My backside. Where I live when the police find marijuana plants at a premisis, they only lay charges 16% of the time, meaning grows. Even when they get a conviction the average sentence is only 5 months.

You just keep up that closed minded I'm ok, f#ck you, attitude and see how far it gets you in life. More than half the population of this country think that pot should be legalized or decriminalized. In the under 40 crowd I'd say that number is closer to 80%. So keep being the dinosaur party and soon you will be extint, thank goodness.

My attitude has served me fairly well so far. As far as the f#ck you attitude is concerned, if there is one it is just coming back at you. You live in a democracy. If you have the support you claim, you will probably get what you want eventually.

Or the sitting govt could listen to...

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Canadian Medical Association,

the Canadian Bar Association,

the Canadian Council of Churches,

Association of Police Chiefs,

the RCMP

and several political leaders have called for decriminalization, as distinct from legalization.

(biased website-Toronto Hemp.com)

the RCMP

and several political leaders have called for decriminalization, as distinct from legalization.

Edit to add....

the RCMP

Edit to add....

Jul 09, 2007 04:30 AM

Alexander Panetta

CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA–The number of people arrested for smoking pot rose dramatically in several Canadian cities last year after the Conservatives took office and killed a bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana

<snip>

National statistics will be released next week, but preliminary figures suggest the number of arrests jumped by more than one-third in several Canadian cities.

Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and Halifax reported increases of between 20 and 50 per cent in 2006, while Montreal and Calgary saw their number of arrests dip a few percentage points from the previous year.

As a result, thousands of people were charged with a criminal offence that recently was within a whisker of extinction.

Now about that backside.....

My generation will end this injustice even if you baby boomers are too chickenshit.

That is exactly what I thought when I was a twenty something... but alas I am now in my 40's and the same antiquated attitude that I thought would be long gone is still pervasive...

The propaganda of the early part of the last century still plagues the thoughts and minds of the "anti-pot" crowd.

I find it amazing that the myth of marijuana creating "reefer madness" still exists. Especially in light of the numbers of people who have smoked it and know that it does not induce "madness", but induces introspection.

Edited by Drea