Transgendered NDP candidate

jdobbin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...16?hub=Politics

A lawyer from Quebec City says she was dumped as a federal New Democratic Party candidate because she is transgendered.

Micheline Montreuil alleges she was told by an NDP official her sexuality hindered party attempts to woo new Quebec candidates into the fold.

"They just said I do not fit in the NDP anymore,'' the prominent family and labour lawyer said in a phone interview Saturday.

"They also told me... that many people who wish to be a candidate for the NDP do not wish to have their name associated with the name of Micheline Montreuil, because I am transgendered.''

In a letter, the party told her she lost the candidacy for statements she made in media interviews, her difficulty maintaining support in the local riding association and for not working in a team, she said.

Montreuil, nominated last spring to carry the party banner in the provincial capital riding of Quebec, disagrees with the allegations in the letter.

But she said a chat with an NDP member has caused her the most concern.

Montreuil declined to discuss details of the conversation, but alleges there are other "unpleasant'' reasons for her dismissal, which must be "corrected'' within the party.

She has not ruled out taking legal action.

It seems the NDP has a problem with independent minded transgendered candidates.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet she takes the NDP to a human rights tribunal:

A federal human rights tribunal has ruled the Canadian Forces discriminated against a transgendered lawyer when they passed her up for a job.

Micheline Montreuil applied to be a grievance officer with the Forces in 2003.

The Forces found she was a qualified candidate but ultimately turned her down, claiming there wasn't enough work to justify hiring someone who spoke only French.

The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ruled today that Montreuil's sexuality was the real reason she didn't get the position and awarded her $40,000 for loss of income.

Link
[1] Micheline Montreuil filed a human rights complaint against the National Bank of Canada, alleging that the Bank refused to hire her because of her sex, contrary to section 7 of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Ms. Montreuil states that she is a transsexual.
Link

She seems to eke out a living doing this. Keep in mind that the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal has a large backlog of cases so this means that the tribunal has chosen her cases as a piority to pursue.

Edited by August1991

She seems to eke out a living doing this. Keep in mind that the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal has a large backlog of cases so this means that the tribunal has chosen her cases as a piority to pursue.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she actually runs into opposition to her transgender, do you?

Oops. In light of August's new evidence, I think it's fair to say that it has graduated from "drive by" to "highly probable." At the very least she/he/it is a loose cannon, errrr, so to speak.

Glad you judged her before even reading August's post :lol:

Anyways, let me know when the money she receives from these lawsuits reaches $2.1 million...

In 1997, during her transformation from male to female, Ms. Montreuil resigned from a 10 year teaching position. Afterward, she tried to have her resignation deemed null and void on the basis that her resignation was a disguised dismissal. On December 7, 2007, the Quebec Court of Appeal ruled against her and deemed the resignation valid. She may decide to appeal to the Supreme Court.

French article:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20071207...6/6585/CPSOLEIL

Google English translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...ficial%26sa%3DN

The timing of the NDP canning her nomination with this decision may be coincidental or maybe not. If she sues the NDP she'll use her court loss as a factor in the NDP's actions to dump her.

I read Montreuil may run as an independent.

She's a lawyer. She does her own sewage...oops, I mean suing.

Sorry - should have thought about it a bit more - surely even lawyers have costs.

Is not a lwayer who represents himself considered a fool?

Or is it the legal system that is tied up over frivolous law siuts such as this that is to blame?

Whatever - he / she / it is simply looking for attention and making a living I suppose.

Borg

Edited by Borg

He made an educated guess, not a judgment, based on probability.

It turns out he was correct.

I'm a bit surprised that you are defending scottsa on this one. I've always thought you were from the more progressive side of the Conservative party. Are you saying there is nothing wrong with stereotyping??

I'm a bit surprised that you are defending scottsa on this one. I've always thought you were from the more progressive side of the Conservative party. Are you saying there is nothing wrong with stereotyping??

You must equate "progressive" with headinthesandism then? It may be common currency among the left to imagine that men who cut their naughty bits off and wear dresses are "just normal folks like you n' me," but not everyone lives in a neverneverland of radical equivalency.

I am from the more progressive side of the party.

Your question is faulty.

Scott did make a reasonable guess based on the facts.

Are you saying that there is never a valid reason for a stereotype to exist?

If so, can you explain why you have judged my actions based on the stereotype you attribute to those from the more progressive side of the Conservative party?

Edited by Michael Bluth