Protest stops trucks to landfill near Caledonia

Yeah, her ramblings are doing "your side" a world of good. Pretty much everybody here thinks that she's a crank and it looks to me that not many people have much sympathy for Six Nations. Way to go jennie!

No, it's not a personal attack--it's a factual comment about her obnoxious behaviour and her self-promoting, agenda-ridden meddling in other peoples affairs.

Oh, and the discussion here broke down when she again failed to answer questions, admit the truth. People at the landfill don't care much for Six Nations; they know that those people will only cause trouble, and really screw up the issue for those that it really has some importance. Just like they did Red Hill.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, give me a break--you're just avoiding the issue, and it clearly is not a personal attack. You're involvment in the affair is suspect and rank hypocracy, and you know that what I say is true about members of Six Nations not appreciating your budding into their affairs.

This is off topic. The thread is about the protest.

Yeah, her ramblings are doing "your side" a world of good. Pretty much everybody here thinks that she's a crank and it looks to me that not many people have much sympathy for Six Nations. Way to go jennie!

No, it's not a personal attack--it's a factual comment about her obnoxious behaviour and her self-promoting, agenda-ridden meddling in other peoples affairs.

Oh, and the discussion here broke down when she again failed to answer questions, admit the truth. People at the landfill don't care much for Six Nations; they know that those people will only cause trouble, and really screw up the issue for those that it really has some importance. Just like they did Red Hill.

No kengs, it is a pathetic personal attack, because you have run out of any intelligent points to make on the topic.

You lose! :P

No kengs, it is a pathetic personal attack, because you have run out of any intelligent points to make on the topic.

You lose! :P

County and Six Nations residents prevent garbage deliveries; United over fast tracked government approvals

BY KAREN BEST Chronicle Staff Writer

Local News - Wednesday, November 21, 2007 @ 05:00

Just after 7 a.m. on Nov. 16, a truck driver found his route to the Edwards Landfill blocked by two dozen people from two communities along the Grand River.

One of the six Ontario Provincial Police officers assigned that day to the protest at Brooks Road and Highway 3 spoke to the driver.

Officers earlier told members of Haldimand Against Landfill Transfers (HALT) and of Six Nations that they would advise garbage haulers that they will not be going into the dump near Cayuga.

When two more trucks signalled to turn onto Brooks Road. Shoulder to shoulder HALT member Jody Orr and Six Nations citizen Phillip W. Skye stood in front of them holding signs bearing the slogan HALT the Dump.

The scene captured a shared commitment to prevent landfilling of institutional, commercial and industrial waste in a dump established in 1959 before environmental protections were in place. In 1991, the Ontario Ministry of the Environment branded the dump as the rural landfill posing the highest hazard to humans.

cont'd...

http://www.dunnvillechronicle.com/webapp/s...ws&classif=

Update:

NO trash trucks have entered the site since Haldimand and Six Nations residents blockaded it last Friday.

NO Toronto trash dumped in Cayuga: It went to Michigan as usual.

NO media have caught on to this story either, other than local. :D

Edited by jennie

I'm wondering if the reason the media didn't pick up on it is because people are becoming tired of the incessant blockades and protests? Perhaps the media perceive a trend that most have not noticed yet and decided there would be too little concern or interest.

Other than a few who view roadblocks and vandalism as some form of exciting entertainment perhaps most people just don't really give a damn. That would be a shame in a way as the problem of our garbage is a serious one and will only get worse as time passes, unless we can figure out improvements to the current system.

I'm wondering if the reason the media didn't pick up on it is because people are becoming tired of the incessant blockades and protests? Perhaps the media perceive a trend that most have not noticed yet and decided there would be too little concern or interest.

Other than a few who view roadblocks and vandalism as some form of exciting entertainment perhaps most people just don't really give a damn. That would be a shame in a way as the problem of our garbage is a serious one and will only get worse as time passes, unless we can figure out improvements to the current system.

Absolutely. Toronto needs to figure out what to do with its trash. Nobody else wants it. Soon there will be orphan trucks driving all over Ontario looking for a place to dump Torontonians WATER BOTTLES and other recyclable trash.

And of course, the real solutions to trash will not be 'found' until there is a crisis - i.e., nobody else will take it.

Why on earth would Six Nations or local residents allow dumping of toxic Toronto trash into the Grand River?

Put it in the HUMBER!! :lol:

Your militant attitudes blind you to the obvious. It is not just Toronto's waste that is a problem, it is every bodies waste that is the problem. It appears that in your mind you have already divided Canada up and just don't give a damn about your fellow Canadians.

Will you now claim that Natives do not produce any waste? I guess it all just evaporates into Lavender tinged clouds. Waste is every bodies problem, not just a select city or type of people. Perhaps you might put aside your militancy long enough to recognize what is a collective problem, not just Toronto's.

By the way, why do you hate Toronto so much? It's not my favourite place by a long shot but I don't hate it or Torontonians, they're people just like you and I. You should try to quell your Racism a little Jennie. It would do a world of good for your outlook on your fellow Canadians citizens.

Your militant attitudes blind you to the obvious. It is not just Toronto's waste that is a problem, it is every bodies waste that is the problem. It appears that in your mind you have already divided Canada up and just don't give a damn about your fellow Canadians.

Will you now claim that Natives do not produce any waste? I guess it all just evaporates into Lavender tinged clouds. Waste is every bodies problem, not just a select city or type of people. Perhaps you might put aside your militancy long enough to recognize what is a collective problem, not just Toronto's.

By the way, why do you hate Toronto so much? It's not my favourite place by a long shot but I don't hate it or Torontonians, they're people just like you and I. You should try to quell your Racism a little Jennie. It would do a world of good for your outlook on your fellow Canadians citizens.

So far Toronto has been less than aggressive in diverting their recyclables from landfill. Last time I heard it was only about 20% while other cities divert up to 60%. Yet Toronto has been in a garbage crisis since the 1980's, failing to look forward as a number of dumps reached capacity and the province refused to allow expansions. As well, I believe that in some areas of the city there is still garbage collection 3 times a week and people regularly put out 2-3 bags at each visit.

Most municipalities in the GTA have already found solutions to their garbage issues, yet Toronto refuses to look within their own borders for solutions. This exacerbates the "out of sight - out of mind" mentality and is probably a good part of the reason a recycling program is unsuccessful. Certainly you would agree that it is abhorrent for waste to be carted from TO to a dump next to a major waterway? I mean they have relentlessly let developers encroach on their watersheds and have over the years allow raw sewage to dump directly into Lake Ontario. Until they start to take some responsibility, they should not be permitted to dump their waste outside of their boundaries.

So far Toronto has been less than aggressive in diverting their recyclables from landfill. Last time I heard it was only about 20% while other cities divert up to 60%. Yet Toronto has been in a garbage crisis since the 1980's, failing to look forward as a number of dumps reached capacity and the province refused to allow expansions.

I dont have the facts in front of me, but I kind of doubt that since the blue boxes are full and the garbage does seem less.

As well, I believe that in some areas of the city there is still garbage collection 3 times a week and people regularly put out 2-3 bags at each visit.

How about collecting it once every two weeks. That is what I am on (it sucks) and I live in the city. Blue box every two weeks (alternate betw garbage and blue) but the compost pile is done every week, but I never use that.

Most municipalities in the GTA have already found solutions to their garbage issues, yet Toronto refuses to look within their own borders for solutions.

When was the last time you were in TO? Did you happen to notice all the empty space for a landfill site? If you did, could you tell me where?

The reason people look outisde the city is because there are many entrpeneurs who can make money on it thus they want our garbage. Ask the Michigan land owner of the dump there.

Ka-ching !

I dont have the facts in front of me, but I kind of doubt that since the blue boxes are full and the garbage does seem less.

How about collecting it once every two weeks. That is what I am on (it sucks) and I live in the city. Blue box every two weeks (alternate betw garbage and blue) but the compost pile is done every week, but I never use that.

When was the last time you were in TO? Did you happen to notice all the empty space for a landfill site? If you did, could you tell me where?

The reason people look outisde the city is because there are many entrpeneurs who can make money on it thus they want our garbage. Ask the Michigan land owner of the dump there.

Ka-ching !

I LOVE Toronto! I wish they would get their garbage together, though. I lived downtown from 2001-03. Recycling in apartment buildings (Half of the population) JUST came into effect in 2002. However, the recycle bins were full the day after they were emptied so the rest went in the trash. It did not improve over the next year.

TORONTO'S TRASH is becoming a huge public relations issue for them. Michigan is dicey, there have been protests. Toronto is looking for places closer to home to dump, and Cayuga is one of the locations. However, that is now closed to them.

If Toronto was happy to dump its trash in the Grand River, why aren't they just as happy to dump it in the HUMBER?

Yes, the answer is obvious ... nimby.

Well, some of the landfills chosen are in someone else's backyard and they don't want it either.

With the knowledge and technology available now, Toronto has the expertise to deal with its own trash without imposing it on other communities.

There is a landfill up north also being readied for Toronto's trash. Residents there have been fighting it for years. It is located right on top of the purest water aquifer ever seen by the researcher who tested it, the water I grew up on, best in the world.

What the dump owners want is money, and they don't care what gets contaminated.

What the local residents want is a non-toxic river.

It is inevitable that there will be a backlash against Toronto. Just trying to give people a heads up before it becomes a crisis, but of course that won't work. People won't do anything until the trucks are all sent back. It may not be long before that happens, either.

What's the big deal? Toronto has lots of parking lots. Just park the trucks at night and drive them around during the day, just like now! :lol:

What the dump owners want is money, and they don't care what gets contaminated.

That sounds like um.....now who are they..?...the ones that want land but take money instead...help me out here will ya?

Of course no one is advocating disposing of garbage in a river. Besides, with the Humber who could tell?

As for driving the garbage around all day, dont laugh, that is exactly what is done with toxic and nuclear waste only it crosses the country via train....back and forth... back and forth

That sounds like um.....now who are they..?...the ones that want land but take money instead...help me out here will ya?

Of course no one is advocating disposing of garbage in a river. Besides, with the Humber who could tell?

As for driving the garbage around all day, dont laugh, that is exactly what is done with toxic and nuclear waste only it crosses the country via train....back and forth... back and forth

cr.ap, guyser, that's ... stoooooooooooooooopid!

What are we doing to ourselves?

omygawd

The Humber ... OH I think they might notice all those WATTER BOTTLES floating in the Humber!

I wonder how many of those ... is it 75? trucks per day would be filled with WATER BOTTLES that should have been recycled ... or banned. Take a friggen glass and turn on the tap. Water bottles are carcinogenic ... being made, being used, being reused especially, and carcinogenic when put back into the earth and water, along with other toxic and caustic waste.

There is no way to put a pretty face on this. Get a grip, Toronto, please!

GET GREEN: Vapourize your trash into power.

guyser ... at last count, how much land in Haldimand is currently set aside with a moratorium on development?

It's about the land, and the money owing.

Edited by jennie

Now jennie, perhaps instead of quickly posting something, you could stop, inhale and think....before I try and eunuch everyone on this site, maybe I will read about this stuff. Cuz, ya know, you might stumble on this quote from my posted link. Prepare yourself, have a smoke too, cuz you just might need it ....

Oh, no bottled water sold on reserves? (fyi....I rarely buy bottled water since TO water is so good)

Any how...

"The discrepancy between relatively stringent municipal and provincial regulations and the federal reserve regime provides an easy path to corporate savings. For the Natives contracted to haul and dump the waste, the legal inconsistency can mean a handsome profit. Most of the haulers contracted to dump on the Six Nations reserve were what Bomberry calls "unscrupulous Indian entrepreneurs." Many of the Natives who work with the dumpers are unemployed, and for them the waste flow provides a ready supplement to a small income. Companies are often willing to pay a per unit fee to residents willing to store refuse such as tires. The Six Nations situation is typical, according to the Indian Affairs Environmental DirectorateÆs Blondin. Blondin says he is unaware of an instance where a company dumped on-reserve without Native involvement. "

cr.ap, guyser, that's ... stoooooooooooooooopid!

What are we doing to ourselves?

omygawd

Im sorry....you were saying something about stooooooooooopid?

Now jennie, perhaps instead of quickly posting something, you could stop, inhale and think....before I try and eunuch everyone on this site, maybe I will read about this stuff. Cuz, ya know, you might stumble on this quote from my posted link. Prepare yourself, have a smoke too, cuz you just might need it ....

Oh, no bottled water sold on reserves? (fyi....I rarely buy bottled water since TO water is so good)

Any how...

"The discrepancy between relatively stringent municipal and provincial regulations and the federal reserve regime provides an easy path to corporate savings. For the Natives contracted to haul and dump the waste, the legal inconsistency can mean a handsome profit. Most of the haulers contracted to dump on the Six Nations reserve were what Bomberry calls "unscrupulous Indian entrepreneurs." Many of the Natives who work with the dumpers are unemployed, and for them the waste flow provides a ready supplement to a small income. Companies are often willing to pay a per unit fee to residents willing to store refuse such as tires. The Six Nations situation is typical, according to the Indian Affairs Environmental DirectorateÆs Blondin. Blondin says he is unaware of an instance where a company dumped on-reserve without Native involvement. "

Im sorry....you were saying something about stooooooooooopid?

ya ... about our nuclear waste driving around in the trucks. cr.ap

So your point is what ... that we should all be able to do that?

Or MAYBE we should all stop shipping our trash to other people and deal with it ourselves?

Maybe it's just time. Obviously the people of HALT from Cayuga think so.

They live next to the small old oozing toxic mess seeping into the Grand River already.

They approached Six Nations two years ago, and together they are now stopping the trucks.

There was recently a W-Five (or one of the news documentary shows) expose on the uranium tailings that were buried 50 or 60 years ago in Port Hope. People there are getting sick. One guy (whom I happened to go to school with) worked for Cameco, a uranium refinery and was plagued with "unknown" illnesses - hair falling our, teeth and lung problems. Cameco denies it has anything to do with it. However, they regularly eject dust into the air over Port Hope.

There are also two tailing dumps nearby that Cameco's former owner Eldorado dumped there 50-60 years ago. One at Port Welcome is sealed off to all access. Port Granby is also sealed of access however, it has been leeching into Lake Ontario for the past 25 years. The government promised over 15 years ago to remove it but there are no hosts and no processes to deal with the poisonous wastes. Still people are affected by and the government still allows Cameco to run without holding them responsible or accountable.

Again young lady you put fingers to keyboard without a moments thought.

You rant like a teenager who , when daddy says ok you can go, yet you keep on ranting and ranting and then realize....oops he said I could go.

So lets see........

ya ... about our nuclear waste driving around in the trucks. cr.ap

Nope, never said that jennie.

So your point is what ... that we should all be able to do that?

My point on what? You quote a post and ask about a different post?

And then I post where Six Nations are abusing their own land , confirmed by SN people themselves , and now you want to rant on me?

You could , you know, stop and read and then say, now that is bad and I didnt know that. I will bring that up with XYZ.

But no, you completly miss the message and bury yourself with this next line...

Or MAYBE we should all stop shipping our trash to other people and deal with it ourselves?

The SN, rather some nefarious ones are importing trash since they can profit on the loophole.

Maybe it's just time. Obviously the people of HALT from Cayuga think so.

They live next to the small old oozing toxic mess seeping into the Grand River already.

They approached Six Nations two years ago, and together they are now stopping the trucks.

And thats all well and fine.

But lost in their is the little fact that while they are stopping it outside, they are in fact importing it inside....vis a vis the loophole.

I will tell you what jennie.

You want to debate? Fine by me.

Just acknowledge the truth and remove the blinders.

I have on many occasions suggested it is high time the govt got off their duff and settled this stuff now. No delays, just come to some common consensus and write the cheque. Both sides need to concede so that it is done.

The govt has historically done wrong to our natives , I have no doubts.

But I can tell you one thing, your juvenile panting and shrill speeches full of "you racist", "you areshole" , "edit this or I will report" , and of course the threat you used to suggest that one poster should be worried because you want to forward it to "someone" who could do something about it, certainly immortalizes you in the annals of hypocrisy.

Kind of like a protestor that wears a mask. Silly and obviously with some other intent.

So jennie....which is it? Rationality and debating skills or shrillness? Just because some here want to take the low road doesnt mean you have to.

There was recently a W-Five (or one of the news documentary shows) expose on the uranium tailings that were buried 50 or 60 years ago in Port Hope. People there are getting sick. One guy (whom I happened to go to school with) worked for Cameco, a uranium refinery and was plagued with "unknown" illnesses - hair falling our, teeth and lung problems. Cameco denies it has anything to do with it. However, they regularly eject dust into the air over Port Hope.

There are also two tailing dumps nearby that Cameco's former owner Eldorado dumped there 50-60 years ago. One at Port Welcome is sealed off to all access. Port Granby is also sealed of access however, it has been leeching into Lake Ontario for the past 25 years. The government promised over 15 years ago to remove it but there are no hosts and no processes to deal with the poisonous wastes. Still people are affected by and the government still allows Cameco to run without holding them responsible or accountable.

Eldorado was a crown corporation. I'd imagine the government, not Cameco is responsible to clean it up.

while they are stopping it outside, they are in fact importing it inside....vis a vis the loophole.

hunh?

what are you flapping your gumst about?

The Edwards Landfill is in Cayuga, on disputed land, not on the current Six Nations territory.

There is no "loophole"

Those are two different territories.

This is what bugs me about you a$$holes:

You are all bent outta shape about some 'facts' ... that are wrong.

gmab

Just like Moxie in the other thread ... bipping off at me for being an information bully ...

She thinks "We one(sic) they lost over and out."

Such simple thinking may be ... simple ... but it also is not factual.

Canada's future is much more complicated than that.

Edited by jennie